• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

UK election night live

Ouch! Really, William? What makes you say that about Keir Starmer? I've only really heard him talking about Brexit. Davies is a right libertarian. They may well agree on issues relating to freedom of information, surveillance, international non-intervention etc., but I'd be hugely surprised and disappointed if Starmer shared his views on welfare, privatisation, the rolling back of the state, austerity, deregulation of the City etc etc.

He has been an enthusiastic member of Corbyn's shadow cabinet, despite not having supported Corbyn in the leadership election. His work on refugees, work capability assessments and Brexit issues have been outstanding. I think he might well eventually make an excellent party leader and PM. Am I wrong? I well could be.

Honestly, that wasn't mean to be a derogatory comment about Starmer, I like Starmer because he has stuck with it and not become one of the 'bastards' but, I believe that he is politically closer to Davies. I was perhaps over egging it to say, 'I don't think that they are politically that far apart'. I'll retract that.

That photo makes me uneasy. I've been trying to find other images of that mural and I can't. It does look like it might be photoshopped. If so, it's dangerous and counter-productive. Nevertheless the DUP do not have any moral high ground from which to criticise Corbyn's meetings with Sinn Féin. She needs to be asked and offer convincing answers to the questions that this story from the Belfast Telegraph last week raises.

DUP chief Arlene Foster met UDA boss days after loyalist murder in Bangor - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

That she doesn't think she needs to call for the unconditional disbanding of the UDA, twenty years after they supposedly committed to do so, beggars belief.

Agree about the mural, it doesn't look right.

The DUP thing is going to bite them in the backside eventually. Imagine the press front pages if it was Corbyn proposing this kind of alliance?

That photo makes me uneasy. I've been trying to find other images of that mural and I can't. It does look like it might be photoshopped. If so, it's dangerous and counter-productive. Nevertheless the DUP do not have any moral high ground from which to criticise Corbyn's meetings with Sinn Féin. She needs to be asked and offer convincing answers to the questions that this story from the Belfast Telegraph last week raises.

DUP chief Arlene Foster met UDA boss days after loyalist murder in Bangor - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

That she doesn't think she needs to call for the unconditional disbanding of the UDA, twenty years after they supposedly committed to do so, beggars belief.

There are many such murals in Belfast.
https://www.google.be/search?q=dup+...JJ1AKHdHsB90Q9C8IHw&biw=1164&bih=494&dpr=1.38

"post truth" works in all directions.

That's why fake news hasn't reached Spain yet. No kind of post ever arrives quickly in the Alpujarras!
except what posts we get to read on DP, eh?;)

That said it's nice to see people in my village actually still reading newspapers in the bar-restaurantes. Wifi hasn't made it everywhere yet and cell reception is poor at best. Of course landlines do exist but mostly provide such appalling download velocities that reading a paper gets done faster.

A great read this morning which has cheered me up no end:

"Okay I need to get this off my chest. The more I think about it, the more I think this GE result is absolutely perfect. A hung parliament is what we wanted with tactical voting, and a hung parliament is precisely what we got. I think a lot of us were hoping for slightly different numbers though ie a coalition between Labour and the LibDems (plus SNP and others) that's what I was hoping for as well. But if that had happened then Labour would have ended up lumbered with the brexit baby and when it all went tits up it would be Labour and whoever that is in coalition with them that would ultimately get the blame for the brexit disaster, even though it is entirely the conservatives fault.

If that happened then we could at some point further down the line end up lumbered with a conservative government for god knows how long as people wouldnt trust Labour again after getting the ultimate blame for brexit.

However as it stands the tories are still left holding the brexit baby, and to make matters worse for them they are in a much much weakened position, which means the opposition parties can make life very difficult for them due to them only having a two seat majority which also relies on the DUP who I would imagine arent going to be the most rational of allies. It only takes two rebellious tory back benchers to destroy their majority and then the other parties can run rings around them.

The tories will have to take all the blame when things are not working out. I'd say that's a pretty damn good result.

When people look back on this brexit carry on in history they will see the tories calling a referendum to try and silence a rebellious minority in their party, it backfiring. Then calling a general election to increase their majority, and backfiring. Then going into brexit negotiations with their decreased majority and making a right hash of it.
That's three monumental **** ups, one right after the other. They're going to look like total morons."

Sadly, I think the article writer has it absolutely correct. The Brexit baby will be worse than Damien from the Omen or that monstrosity from Eraserhead.

I have a horrible feeling the Conservatives will be out in the wilderness taking the blame for what half the country voted for in the EU referendum.

~ It does look like it might be photoshopped. If so, it's dangerous and counter-productive ~

It is photoshopped. The DUP text on the right is far to clear and the perspective is wrong. As for the work on Arlene Foster - she's more like Mr Blobby.

However, the sentiment is accurate. Plenty in the Conservative party are uneasy about this alliance.

It's the sentiment behind it that counts. May is getting into bed with these antediluvians who did not receive one vote in mainland UK.

Sure, it is fun but, it is also important to be accurate.

Have you ever been to Belfast during the marching season?

No but, I have been to Belfast and the surrounding areas otherwise. What is your point?

Aha! That makes sense. Was that your handiwork, Manc? :)

Guilty of stealing from Twitter without checking Sorry! It seemed credible. It all happened a while ago now, but thinking back, I can't recall such a direct link being admitted to so obviously.

I could be wrong, but as I understand the DUP can not vote on English law, so it is not really a coalition and does not give the Tories any extra power.

Not sure if Corbyn could still get a coalition of more seats than the Tories, by vacuuming up the smaller parties. I don't think Theresa May's position is tenable now, she ran a rubbish campaign for herself, she did not turn up for one of the debates and just sent Rudd along instead, she is weak now, and people like Boris can see that, they are slowly lining up like wolves to take the Tory leadership.

I could be wrong, but as I understand the DUP can not vote on English law, so it is not really a coalition and does not give the Tories any extra power.
Not quite correct. There has been legislation to promote 'English votes for English laws' but ultimate Commons approval is still required from the whole House.

Not sure if Corbyn could still get a coalition of more seats than the Tories, by vacuuming up the smaller parties.
He couldn't, and he wouldn't try. His 'offer' is to lead a minority government, not a coalition.

I don't think Theresa May's position is tenable now, she ran a rubbish campaign for herself, she did not turn up for one of the debates and just sent Rudd along instead, she is weak now, and people like Boris can see that, they are slowly lining up like wolves to take the Tory leadership.
They are, but a change of Tory leader will make a second GE inevitable and there has been a never-ending string of Tory MPs saying that a second election this year would result in a Labour victory.

Not quite correct. There has been legislation to promote 'English votes for English laws' but ultimate Commons approval is still required from the whole House.

He couldn't, and he wouldn't try. His 'offer' is to lead a minority government, not a coalition.

They are, but a change of Tory leader will make a second GE inevitable and there has been a never-ending string of Tory MPs saying that a second election this year would result in a Labour victory.

Partnering with the DUP is theoretically a violation of the Good Friday agreement, and the Irish and UK Governments are supposed to take rigorous impartiality as part of that agreement. The partnering with the DUP has the potential to re-ignite troubles in Ireland and put the Good Friday agreement at risk. I could easily see a legal challenge being launched to stop the partnership and just as easily see another GE in a few months. Labour will vote down the Queen's speech and no doubt other parties will too, meaning May will not have a leg to stand on.

Back
Top Bottom