• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

UK election night live

Higgins86

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Figured we could all post in one thread rather than spreading it out. I'm currently sipping on some Irish whiskey watching with wide eyes after this exit poll

Doesn't sound like the Lib Dems will work with either party anyway.

Poll wise it doesn't look like the demeanor of the Brit electorate has changed much. Looks like Labour will gain a few seats, but really only at the cost of SNP seats ( polls expect about 30 seats less for SNP and about 30 more for Labour )
it does predict about 14 less for conservatives so those would go to a small minority party it seems.

Cons were expecting to win half of those SNP seats, meaning they'll lose twice as many in England if there's a hung parliament.

If there is no majority for May, or a majority of around 4 seats, May will be seen IMHO as a big loser. She has cost the UK millions of pounds to hold an election, the third vote in 2 years or so and the song remained the same (or worse). May just wasted taxpayer money and people's time if she does not win big and will look like a fool if she actually lost the majority.

That is what you get if you are shortsighted and delusional like PM May.

If there is no majority for May, or a majority of around 4 seats, May will be seen IMHO as a big loser. She has cost the UK millions of pounds to hold an election, the third vote in 2 years or so and the song remained the same (or worse). May just wasted taxpayer money and people's time if she does not win big and will look like a fool if she actually lost the majority.

That is what you get if you are shortsighted and delusional like PM May.

As well as throwing away 3 years of Tory rule

That too, even if she wins the next election, she could have possibly ruled for 8 more years, now she has to be careful no really opportunistic MP will challenge her leadership.

That too, even if she wins the next election, she could have possibly ruled for 8 more years, now she has to be careful no really opportunistic MP will challenge her leadership.

I mean she said if she loses 6 seats it's a failure lol. Shot herself in the foot

Or gaining another two, providing she gets a majority.

I said in the other thread that having the "original" election of 2020 virtually coincide with Brexit completion might pose problems if the result of that completion were catastrophic for Britain.

That's working on the premise that there'll be no extension of the negotiations agreed between UK and EU.

No matter what happens I can't wait to hear May. Not so arrogant now I bet

Or gaining another two, providing she gets a majority.

I said in the other thread that having the "original" election of 2020 virtually coincide with Brexit completion might pose problems if the result of that completion were catastrophic for Britain.

That's working on the premise that there'll be no extension of the negotiations agreed between UK and EU.

You feel they have to extend, the clocks already ticking.

You feel they have to extend, the clocks already ticking.
This whole thing in fact goes very much against the grain of virtually all of Europe.

Nobody here on the continent is really all that interested in what sort of majority she might have achieved, as long as she had enough of one to speak with authority and thus provide somebody qualified to speak at all in negotiations.

The calling of the snap election already resulted in groans, if the exit polls are remotely anything to go by, the groans will now be increasing.

Europe wants this thing over and done with as soon as possible, prolongation of general economic uncertainty being the last thing anyone wants.

One can only speculate but I wouldn't want to bet on any extension of Brexit negos at all.

May is not the only one trying to sell "no deal is better than a bad deal" (note the logical disconnect), some on the other side merely phrase it differently. Like "out is out and 2019 is merely a (de)terminative factor".

But yeah, all conjecture at his point in time.

This whole thing in fact goes very much against the grain of virtually all of Europe.

Nobody here on the continent is really all that interested in what sort of majority she might have achieved, as long as she had enough of one to speak with authority and thus provide somebody qualified to speak at all in negotiations.

The calling of the snap election already resulted in groans, if the exit polls are remotely anything to go by, the groans will now be increasing.

Europe wants this thing over and done with as soon as possible, prolongation of general economic uncertainty being the last thing anyone wants.

One can only speculate but I wouldn't want to bet on any extension of Brexit negos at all.

May is not the only one trying to sell "no deal is better than a bad deal" (note the logical disconnect), some on the other side merely phrase it differently. Like "out is out and 2019 is merely a (de)terminative factor".

But yeah, all conjecture at his point in time.

Farage on the BBC seems to think that it will end brexit and force another referendum which if true puts ,e in a difficult spot. I voted for brexit but potentially voted to stall it. However I never voted for May which was the result of brexit unfortunately and I would feel better if we secured our government first before we moved forward with brexit even if that means another vote or a softer brexit.

BBC prediction based on results to date is Cons largest party, but 4 short of a majority.

BBC prediction based on results to date is Cons largest party, but 4 short of a majority.

Too close for comfort, she will hang on like a leech

Last edited:
Jesus! I just read this! Admittedly the "Canary" but huge! Rudd's in a recount. Good.

" ...Home Secretary Amber Rudd accidentally let slip a secret about Saudi Arabia that could tank the Tories this election. On Woman’s Hour, presenter Jane Garvey was saying [10.09]:

They [Saudi Arabia] also are believed to have very strong funding links with groups like [Daesh (Isis/Isil)]…
The secret

On 6 June, Rudd replied [10.14]:

Well, we’ve managed to reduce that, the funding links, and we are always watchful to make sure that their influence, where it’s bad, is going to be limited.
The BBC Radio 4 show carried on as normal, with participants seemingly unaware that Rudd apparently just made an astonishing confession. But a few minutes later, a listener at home (Amanda) phoned [11.58] the station. She said:

Well, I’m just astonished. Amber Rudd has just admitted that Saudi Arabia fund Isis.
Startled, Rudd responded:

I have not!
Host Garvey chimed in:

No, she didn’t actually. She didn’t say that. ...."

https://www.thecanary.co/2017/06/08...s-slip-secret-saudi-arabia-tank-tories-audio/

Goodbye Clegg! When you lie down with snakes you get bitten.

Too close for comfort, she will hang on like a leech
Yup, that's what her (declared) needed "period of stability" is all about.

She did however look as if she couldn't make up her mind between throwing up or screaming.

One thing to learn from all of this though is that if you want stability, don't go calling for things you don't have to call for.

Like referendums or snap elections.

She did however look as if she couldn't make up her mind between throwing up or screaming.

One thing to learn from all of this though is that if you want stability, don't go calling for things you don't have to call for.

hung parliament?

how many seats did Labour pick up?

hung parliament?

how many seats did Labour pick up?

+21 swing so far

But it doesn't matter all too much. Tories will fall just short of a majority. Therefore it'll probably be a hung parliament, because from the statements made tonight, it does not look like a coalition is tenable.

After watching the recent effects of party control in American governance, I'm not so sure this "hung" stuff is such a bad idea!

One positive for the night. The SNP have done badly, and the insufferable Salmond has gone!!

Farage on the BBC seems to think that it will end brexit and force another referendum which if true puts ,e in a difficult spot. I voted for brexit but potentially voted to stall it. However I never voted for May which was the result of brexit unfortunately and I would feel better if we secured our government first before we moved forward with brexit even if that means another vote or a softer brexit.

It looks like you've wobbled like so many others. I've not seen the numbers yet but I think the young have come out, and rejected May and her supporting cast the 'band of bland ' (Messrs Fox, Davies, Duncan Smith et al) where were they during the election?

It looks like you've wobbled like so many others. I've not seen the numbers yet but I think the young have come out, and rejected May and her supporting cast the 'band of bland ' (Messrs Fox, Davies, Duncan Smith et al) where were they during the election?

I think wobbled is fair. I voted for Brexit but not for a May Premiership and what that entailed. It also didn't help that she arrogantly refused to lay out her post Brexit plan.
I voted for Corbyn because I could relate to him. You put all the Brexit stuff to one side and I think that's what it came down to for a lot of voters.

I think wobbled is fair. I voted for Brexit but not for a May Premiership and what that entailed. It also didn't help that she arrogantly refused to lay out her post Brexit plan.
I voted for Corbyn because I could relate to him. You put all the Brexit stuff to one side and I think that's what it came down to for a lot of voters.

I think it is miraculous that Corbyn got more than 40% of the vote when at times it was predicted he would get far below 30.

May really dropped the ball, making a brexit negotiations way more difficult.

Back
Top Bottom