• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. deficit spikes 42% in 1st Q of fiscal year

Indeed.

1. GOP blows up the deficit
2. Dems spend eight years bringing it back down, while the GOP bemoans the mounting debt.
3. GOP regains power and blows up the deficit again.

Indeed!

WzxI9jLl.jpg

this is impossible. massive tax cuts for the rich pay for themselves.

The largest debt increase was under FDR, and much of our debt increase afterwards is the result of Social program spending created and grown under successive Democrat presidents, especially by LBJ. But it was Wilson in 1913 who made this possible.

Mostly false.

WzxI9jLl.jpg

And I just went back a little further than 50 years.
We need to reduce Federal government spending, regardless of which party has control of government.
I hope that helps you.
At my age, every day I wake is a great day.
I agree on all points.
we need to have a balanced budget amendment that makes the Government only spend what it takes in and not any more unless there is a war or a server Recession or Depression and nothing else
Then I think a one percent national sales tax strictly dedicated to pay off the debt that would expire and could NOT be extended for any other reason when the debt is paid off would be a good idea.
and yes at my age too every day we wake up is a good day
Have a nice afternoon

So now you care about the deficit and the debt? ROFLMAO! You people couldn't care less and everything you post is out of context and context matters. Keep claiming that the federal govt. needs the money more than the taxpayers and the corporations who are good corporate citizens and benefit the community and charities. Amazing how easy it is to indoctrinate far too many

Have you a graph of social program spending from 1913 to current, without including social security and medicare?

No. Should I?

Do you want the a graph of fur sales in North American for the 18th century too?

Last edited:
I agree on all points.
we need to have a balanced budget amendment that makes the Government only spend what it takes in and not any more unless there is a war or a server Recession or Depression and nothing else
Then I think a one percent national sales tax strictly dedicated to pay off the debt that would expire and could NOT be extended for any other reason when the debt is paid off would be a good idea.
and yes at my age too every day we wake up is a good day
Have a nice afternoon

There is precedent for a temporary tax to pay for something. As in "temporary" tolls etc. Problem is politicians can't help making them permanent.

I eagerly await all of the Tea Party Republicans to decry this horrific deficit spending and ballooning of the debt...

Also, Bullseye's dad can beat up both of your dads!

My dad is long dead, but gee, thanks for the morning chuckle.

No. Should I?

Do you want the a graph of fur sales in North American for the 18th century too?

Only if it had anything to do with deficit spending, except it did/does not.

I eagerly await all of the Tea Party Republicans to decry this horrific deficit spending and ballooning of the debt...

Also, Bullseye's dad can beat up both of your dads!
There has been a lot of comment on the deficit's growth in conservative circles, as opposed to REPUBLICAN circles. One of the better comments I read a while back went something like "Trump's deficits are going towards strengthening the military, Obama's went to buy votes, clunkers, and Solyndra"

There has been a lot of comment on the deficit's growth in conservative circles, as opposed to REPUBLICAN circles. One of the better comments I read a while back went something like "Trump's deficits are going towards strengthening the military, Obama's went to buy votes, clunkers, and Solyndra"

We get it. Deficits only matter when a black man is in the white house.

Thanks for removing all doubt.

Neither does spending in the early 20th century.

Unpaid debts no matter how old, and mandatory perpetual social program spending does no matter when it was first initiated.

Right, it's okay with conservatives when Republicans increase the debt, but not Democrats. We know EXACTLY what those people are about.

Which was a stupid statement based on fantasy, but fiction is the right’s preferred genre anyway.

Which was a stupid statement based on fantasy, but fiction is the right’s preferred genre anyway.

"Shovel-ready jobs" was a stupid statement, giving Solyndra a half-billion which that turned into zip-point-squat was a stupid move, and Cash For Clunkers was an idiotic idiot. Rebuilding and re-equipping our military is none of those things.

Right, it's okay with conservatives when Republicans increase the debt, but not Democrats. We know EXACTLY what those people are about.
Nope.

The largest debt increase was under FDR, and much of our debt increase afterwards is the result of Social program spending created and grown under successive Democrat presidents, especially by LBJ. But it was Wilson in 1913 who made this possible.
A) When people make claims about numbers, I urge them to look at the numbers first, before they make a fool out of themselves. The entire federal debt in 1948 was $220 billion. That means that the entire debt under FDR was 1% of today's $22 trillion debt.

B) Those social programs you write (i.e. Social Security and Medicare) have dedicated taxes. Moreover, Social Security ran a $44 billion surplus in 2017.

"Shovel-ready jobs" was a stupid statement, giving Solyndra a half-billion which that turned into zip-point-squat was a stupid move, and Cash For Clunkers was an idiotic idiot. Rebuilding and re-equipping our military is none of those things.

If you think Trump’s deficits are due solely to military buildup, pass whatever you’re smoking.

If you think Trump’s deficits are due solely to military buildup, pass whatever you’re smoking.
You want to sound stupid too?

I got a warning from the mods last time I implied a poster was under the influence so be careful. And no I don't think deficits are solely due to military buildup.

A) When people make claims about numbers, I urge them to look at the numbers first, before they make a fool out of themselves. The entire federal debt in 1948 was $220 billion. That means that the entire debt under FDR was 1% of today's $22 trillion debt.

B) Those social programs you write (i.e. Social Security and Medicare) have dedicated taxes. Moreover, Social Security ran a $44 billion surplus in 2017.

A) The debt grew about 10 x under FDR.

B) I didn't mention Social Security and Medicare, simply social spending, primarily those which have no means constraint as does Social Security.

Back
Top Bottom