• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump's approval rating plunges back to his worst with two new polls

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Trump's approval rating plunges back to his worst with two new polls

By MARY PAPENFUSS
Feb 26th 2018

5UjTJnTq.jpg

Donald Trump’s approval rating has slumped again to match the lowest of his presidency, according to two new polls. The surveys were conducted amid mounting activism for gun control and security clearance problems in the White House. Support for stricter gun laws has spiked to the highest level since 1993 and Americans aren’t happy with Trump’s position on the issue, CNN has found. Despite Trump’s bullish take on his performance, the president’s approval rating fell five points over last month to 35 percent, according to a CNN survey, conducted by polling firm SSRS. That number matches the lowest rating of his presidency in December. A separate poll by USA Today and Suffolk University’s Political Research Center found similar results, with the president’s approval rating also slipping to match the lowest point that survey has found at 38 percent, with 60 percent disapproving of the job he’s doing. Gun control looks to be a particular problem for the president.

The USA Today poll found that 76 percent (to 12 percent) of those polled believe that people who have been treated for mental illness should be prohibited from owning guns. The accused gunman at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School had reportedly been treated for mental illness. The survey also found that 63 percent (to 29 percent) of those polled believe that semi-automatic guns like the AR-15 used by the Florida shooter should be banned. The president has said he would support raising the minimum age for buying such firearms from 18 to 21, but hasn’t supported a ban and is not likely to. The USA Today survey also found that 66 percent (to 33 percent) of those polled believe tightening gun-control laws and background checks would prevent more mass shootings. Of those polled, only 19 percent believe there’s a ‘good to excellent’ chance Congress will take action on gun control in the foreseeable future. Trump’s approval rating is well behind former presidents at this point in their presidency: 12 percent behind the previous low set by Ronald Reagan and Jimmy Carter, and 14 percent behind Barack Obama.

Drowning in red numbers. If Trumps presidency were a business, he'd have to file for bankruptcy again

I really can't take an article seriously when they use something like that as their image.

Yeah, but the poll was CNN so the data's legit.

Geez, look at CNN's last poll it was 39%. They also referenced a poll taken by SSRS that's where the 35% comes in, SSRS which RCP doesn't even bother with
as legitimate. For all anyone knows SSRS may be a poll taken by Father Flagger, Reverend Write & Louis Farrakhan clipboard in hand polling likeminded folk
in Chicago's south side. Don't be so gullible.

Meanwhile, in the real world Trump is polling at an even 49% approval by pollster Rasmussen who basically nailed the election.

Of course if you want to post the methodology of any of those other polls, we'd be willing to take a look. You know, the ones who poll 25 - 40% more Democrats to feed their narrative.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/

Geez, look at CNN's last poll it was 39%. They also referenced a poll taken by SSRS that's where the 35% comes in, SSRS which RCP doesn't even bother with
as legitimate.
It seems SSRS is either the polling arm of CNN, or their regular contractual partner. Notice how CNN calls it a "CNN poll conducted by SSRS", not an "SSRS poll".

Regardless though, the same polling outfit found a 5 pt drop during the past month, as CNN claimed.

WASHINGTON (CNN)President Donald Trump's approval rating in a new CNN poll conducted by SSRS stands at 35%, down five points over the last month to match his lowest level yet.

Source: CNN Poll: Trump approval slides, matches lowest point of presidency

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump's approval rating ticked up to 40%, his highest mark since last September but still the lowest for any elected president at the one-year mark since modern public opinion polling began, according to the latest CNN poll conducted by SSRS.

Source: CNN Poll: President Trump's approval rating edges up to 40%

The CNN poll from last week showing 39%, is indeed an SSRS poll! And, it is absolutely featured on Real Clear Politics! Click on RCP's link for the CNN polls, and it leads to SSRS. I'm leaving the RCP link names below unedited, in an effort to be transparent.

Source:

Source:
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/docs/CNN_RV_.pdf

For all anyone knows SSRS may be a poll taken by Father Flagger, Reverend Write & Louis Farrakhan clipboard in hand polling likeminded folk
in Chicago's south side.
To tie CNN's polling to Rev Write, Father Flagger, and Farrakkhan, seems a bit disingenuous.

Don't be so gullible.
I suspect I'm not. But if you believe there's error in my analysis above, I'm all ears.

Drowning in red numbers. If Trumps presidency were a business, he'd have to file for bankruptcy again

You mean a man who significantly reduces government revenue and increases government spending in a two month period is known for bankruptcies?!

"Polls. Most of them. All of them?" Brianna Keilar

Yeah, but the poll was CNN so the data's legit.

he really sounds more like mussolini every day; his nonverbal actions are a perfect match for ill douchey;
btw, I started reading MM's 'the long game'; I'm not a reader like my Wife; my loss of a lifetime;
she's type B; I'm type A[SUP]+[/SUP] of course :lol:

Meanwhile, in the real world Trump is polling at an even 49% approval by pollster Rasmussen who basically nailed the election.

Of course if you want to post the methodology of any of those other polls, we'd be willing to take a look. You know, the ones who poll 25 - 40% more Democrats to feed their narrative.

No polls besides Rasmussen have Trump breaking much past 40, with the very latest polls showing a sag. This is evidenced by the RCP average standing at 41.2

Source: RCP: President Trump Job Approval

You've lost me with Rasmussen. Are you sure you don't mean the L.A. Times, who did call it correctly?

Rasmussen Reports’ final White House Watch survey shows Democrat Hillary Clinton with a two-point lead over Republican Donald Trump with less than 24 hours to go until Election Day. Among early voters, Clinton has a double-digit lead.

The latest national telephone and online survey of Likely U.S. Voters shows Clinton with 45% support to Trump’s 43%.

Source:
Rasmussen: White House WatchWhite House Watch: Clinton Edges Ahead

I really can't take an article seriously when they use something like that as their image.

The article highlights just how stupid Trump has been in virtually everything he says, does, tries, ... .

The picture is a perfect match for his numbers. This is simply trying to distract from Trump's incredibly dismal showing in a position that he had no business trying to get and the people who voted for him obviously had no qualifications to even be able to vote.

Voters should have the ability to discern.

No polls besides Rasmussen have Trump breaking much past 40, with the very latest polls showing a sag. This is evidenced by the RCP average standing at 41.2

Source: RCP: President Trump Job Approval

You've lost me with Rasmussen. Are you sure you don't mean the L.A. Times, who did call it correctly?

Source:
Rasmussen: White House WatchWhite House Watch: Clinton Edges Ahead

Those same polls showed Trump at 36% approval pre-election.

Trump and Clinton Finish With Historically Poor Images

It seems SSRS is either the polling arm of CNN, or their regular contractual partner. Notice how CNN calls it a "CNN poll conducted by SSRS", not an "SSRS poll".

Regardless though, the same polling outfit found a 5 pt drop during the past month, as CNN claimed.

Source: CNN Poll: Trump approval slides, matches lowest point of presidency

The CNN poll from last week showing 39%, is indeed an SSRS poll! And, it is absolutely featured on Real Clear Politics! Click on RCP's link for the CNN polls, and it leads to SSRS. I'm leaving the RCP link names below unedited, in an effort to be transparent.

Source:

Source:
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/docs/CNN_RV_.pdf

To tie CNN's polling to Rev Write, Father Flagger, and Farrakkhan, seems a bit disingenuous.

I suspect I'm not. But if you believe there's error in my analysis above, I'm all ears.

The apparent connection between CNN & SSRS is that CNN uses SSRS data to report on many issues. CNN does their own political polling &
from what I can gather SSRS provides data services for CNN in finance data, temperture & weather data & other data & in their last gathering
did a poll on Trump's approval which was not a CNN poll & that info infiltrated into a CNN document the OP posted.

CNN's last poll you can see at RealClearPolitics.com 39%. At RealClearPolitics.com Go to POLLS then click on
'TRUMP JOB APPROVAL' RCP has logged polls going all the way back to Trump's inauguration date over a year ago, maybe 200 polls
& they didn't log in one SSRS poll.

In those 200 or so polls logged in at RCP for over a year 7 CNN polls were recorded & they did 3 polls in conjunction with ORC.
Those are logged as CNN/ORC polls. This SSRS poll was not done in connection with CNN or RCP would have credited SSRS
as I see it & RCP would have logged it as CNN/SSRS.

Look up that reference you posted https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/
That refers to an SSRS poll taken Jan 14/18 2018, then check RCP polls on that date;
That SSRS poll with Trump at 40% it was not even included, on that very date the CNN poll
was:
CNN 1/14 - 1/18 RV 43 53

So your reference shows a SSRS poll taken Jan 14/18 2018 that has Trump at 40% that was not even worthy
of mention on RCP. Which had the CNN poll done by CNN having Trump at 43%.

Last edited:
The apparent connection between CNN & SSRS is that CNN uses SSRS data to report on many issues. CNN does their own political polling &
from what I can gather SSRS provides data services for CNN in finance data, temperture & weather data & other data & in their last gathering
did a poll on Trump's approval which was not a CNN poll & that info infiltrated into a CNN document the OP posted.

CNN's last poll you can see at RealClearPolitics.com 39%. At RealClearPolitics.com Go to POLLS then click on
'TRUMP JOB APPROVAL' RCP has logged polls going all the way back to Trump's inauguration date over a year ago, maybe 200 polls

In those 200 or so polls logged in at RCP for over a year 7 CNN polls were recorded & they did 3 polls in conjunction with ORC.
Those are logged as CNN/ORC polls. This SSRS poll was not done in connection with CNN or RCP would have credited SSRS

Look up that reference you posted https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/
That refers to an SSRS poll taken Jan 14/18 2018, then check RCP polls on that date;
That SSRS poll with Trump at 40% it was not even included, on that very date the CNN poll
was:
CNN 1/14 - 1/18 RV 43 53

So your reference shows a SSRS poll taken Jan 14/18 2018 that has Trump at 40% that was not even worthy

I gave the wrong reference that you posted for clarity

CNN Poll: 'President Trump's approval rating edges up to 40%' is the reference to check it was reported
on Jan19, the SSRS poll taken Jan 14/18 2018 that has Trump at 40% that was not even worthy
of mention on RCP. Which had the CNN poll done by CNN at the same time having Trump at 43%.

Last edited:
he really sounds more like mussolini every day;e :lol:

Oh he's Mussolini now? I thought he was Hitler?

LAFFriot.

I don't think Mussolini has the same white supremacist cred as Hitler. The kookernutter brigade oughta stick to Hitler.

GUFFAW.

Is Trump's approval 35% or 35 people? It should be the latter.

was:
CNN 1/14 - 1/18 RV 43 53

Thanks for the effort you've put into this.

Well this gets really interesting, because if you click on the Jan 19th RCP link for the CNN 1/14-1/18 43% poll you referenced, it leads to the SSRS poll showing 40%!

January 14-18, 2018 40% 55% 5%

Check it out: http://cdn.cnn.com/cnn/2018/images/01/19/rel1a-trump2c.shutdown2c.immigration.pdf

So I'm as perplexed as you.

However, that linked doc does say what I claimed in my first post, that it is indeed a CNN poll, or CNN sponsored if you will, conducted by SSRS. The poll is even on CNN letterhead.

The study was conducted for CNN via telephone by SSRS, an independent research company.

But regardless of our ability to get to the bottom of this, as CNN claimed in the OP, the CNN/SSRS poll shifted 5 pts. It seems to be like poll - to like poll.

Thanks for the effort you've put into this.

Well this gets really interesting, because if you click on the Jan 19th RCP link for the CNN 1/14-1/18 43% poll you referenced, it leads to the SSRS poll showing 40%!

Check it out: http://cdn.cnn.com/cnn/2018/images/01/19/rel1a-trump2c.shutdown2c.immigration.pdf

So I'm as perplexed as you.

However, that linked doc does say what I claimed in my first post, that it is indeed a CNN poll, or CNN sponsored if you will, conducted by SSRS. The poll is even on CNN letterhead.

But regardless of our ability to get to the bottom of this, as CNN claimed in the OP, the CNN/SSRS poll shifted 5 pts. It seems to be like poll - to like poll.

I did look into it & am pretty sure I had a handle on it, but who knows? The relationship between CNN SSRS & the way the OP addressed it
leads to the haziness.

I did look into it & am pretty sure I had a handle on it, but who knows? The relationship between CNN SSRS & the way the OP addressed it
leads to the haziness.
So in other words, it's perfectly reflects today's media-political environment! :doh

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-approval-rating-just-passed-230047719.html

President Donald Trump’s approval rating is now higher than former President Barack Obama’s at this point in his presidency, according to the results of a daily poll released Tuesday.

As of Tuesday, 50 percent of likely voters in the United States approved of Trump’s job performance, according to the Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll. On this date during year two of Obama’s first term, 43 percent of likely voters approved of how the president was performing, the same poll found.

YIKES!!
It's time for Hollywood to turn the Oscars into a Trump-bash!!!
That ALWAYS goes over well.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Back
Top Bottom