• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump cancels Singapore summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un[W:193] (1 Viewer)

Re: Trump cancels Singapore summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un

That was "golden" Dan.:cool:

No it wasn't. I believe you were thinking about Trump's golden showers. :mrgreen:

Man, how did I miss this today?

But somewhere in my posting history is my calling the possibility of success as equivocally "not happening", with my very first post on the subject. Not that it took any thought or effort, to figure out!

And then there's the Republican Party con artists pushing to their believers that Trump will get the Nobel, and some of them believed it!

:doh

We live in some pretty delusional & ****ed-up times, I'll say that!
China has put pressure on Kim to make nice with America and SK, so there have been a few public good will gestures and vague, meaningless statements about peace, in order to cool things down.

For some bizarre reason, the WH and the entire conservative establishment assumed that meant NK was ready to denuclearize, and sign on to the same deal they know got Qaddafi and Hussein killed, and Trump jumped at the first offer of a summit without any real indication that what he wanted was actually on the negotiating table.

Of course, some of us suspected the deal sounded too good to be true because it was, but Trump and his base didn't want to hear it, and celebrated a Nobel prize award before the summit even happened.

Kim and NK sensed how important the meeting was to Trump, so they squeezed him for public concessions, seeing how far they could go before he realized they were playing him in bad faith - which turned out to be pretty far.

An absolute disaster for the WH.

NK vice-Secretary of State urged Trump reconsider pulling out:

The more he says no the more they will try pulling him back. Back and forth... like a fiddle. Trump only hears beautiful music. Kim must be getting a kick out of that.:lol:

SIR!!!!

That is a base canard!!!!!!!

Mr. Trump does not in the least agree that violence towards women is appropriate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Trump was NOT the "spankER" he was the "spankEE".

That's different!

Sir? I'm a girl! It's Ma'am!

Yes, I especially liked how his NSA said the framework for NK should be based on the Libya model.

I’m sure that made Kim very comfortable.

Oh, wait. That’s right. You probably think it’s Trump and Bolton playing 3D chess while they’re just literally bumbling idiots.

Just 3 days ago I posted something about how incredibly irresponsible and ignorant it was that Pence was talking about the Libya.

I'm not even sure I can think of any reason why saying this is a good idea. Seriously. "Ending like Libya" means being deposed, then eventually captured and killed, like Ghaddafi was.

How is this kind of talk helpful? Threatening Kim?

I feel like I'm watching a bad reality TV show.

Of course, you were right there next to me. Fortunately, you weren't, and you have no idea what is going on in Europe.

If you did, you'd understand his politics, nor his finances are what make Trump popular in Europe, it was his campaign promise to drive the status quo crazy. And he's done that. Now for a reminder, it wasn't that long ago that we saw atrocity after atrocity against muslims during the Balkan wars. The Christians of eastern Europe have never forgiven the depredations of the Ottoman invaders, nor their Moor predecessors in southern Europe. And the northern germanic Europeans hate everyone, including each other. Remember the real Vlad Dracula, he is still a hero for impaling the hated Turks on the roadsides. Civilization is a very thin veneer. I don't need to ask how the everyday Germans applauded the victimization of the holocaust, because nothing has changed.

I was on tour as a musical chaperone (along with my wife) with my nephew and niece, two very accomplished musicians, still attending a well known high end NYC music high school for the performing arts. Typically liberal, idealist and with a romantic view of life (not to be confused with personal romance). Their visions of the world pleased me, as they should even tho they were naive. They came home with their visions of life modified far more than they expected by the reality of what they encountered. They were very appreciative, and far less critical of their lives here after their sojourn. They enjoyed the people, the welcome, and the new to them cultures they encountered, yet were shocked by the lack of tolerance, and the innate cruelty expressed.

You will never understand what you have here, until you lose it.

Keep insulting me, it won't change reality. Not yours or anyone else's. It is a cruel world we inhabit.

Trump is not popular in Europe. Just the opposite. I spend a lot of time there on business. They can't believe a great country like the United States was dumb enough to elect a reality TV game show host who is crude and ignorant of world matters to the highest office in the land.

Kim was never going to denuclearize, and Trump was going to be dis-invited anyway. As I've noted before, the nations of the world are going on without Trumps USA.

Another few years of this and the USA will be considered a replica of Brezhnev's USSR. Broken beyond repair and totally irrelevant.

Trump cancelled the summit for two reasons, IMO.

One is John Bolton never wanted it anyway. That man is itching for a war with Kim. Two is Trump didn't want to be humiliated on the world stage by a deranged little ass like Kim, so he cancelled it before Kim had a chance to humiliate him.

Don't read DP or watch the news much, do you?

Wrong, I read voraciously, but your right about watching the "news"; I almost never do.

If you don't watch the news you're uniformed, if you do you're misinformed

-paraphrasing Denzel Washington

For context, I stand by the FACT, djt doesn't, hasn't and won't, even given a 100 years, do/done dick, diddly, bupkiss.<--period

Unless you want to, justifiably, credit him with causing more chaos than any man in history. Next years text books will have to put an asterisk next to Nero's name because it took him so much more time to achieve this level of discord.

(Commenting on djt's lies) He is the Babe Ruth of bull****

Geoffrey Russk - Washington Post, Fact Check Bureau

Last edited:

Wrong, I read voraciously, but your right about watching the "news"; I almost never do.

For context, I stand by the FACT, djt doesn't, hasn't and won't, even given a 100 years, do/done dick, diddly, bupkiss.<--period

Then when you read DP you only read what you want to.

Then when you read DP you only read what you want to.

I do my best to read a wide variety of subjects and sources. I don't camp one view, like you do for instance, obviously, Brightbart and Faux News.

I don't stand by anything - djt

Last edited:

I do my best to read a wide variety of subjects and sources. I don't camp one view, like you do for instance, obviously, Brightbart and Faux News.

Hilarious how people like you accuse those who disagree with you of getting their news from Breitbart of Fox. I don't get my news from either of those.

Hilarious how people like you accuse those who disagree with you of getting their news from Breitbart of Fox. I don't get my news from either of those.

What's NOT funny is how "people like you accuse those who disagree with you" of every nasty think under the sun. Never realizing that we too ARE AmeriCANs. You're postings are consistent with partly line doctrine disseminated by Faux and Bart.

Kellyanne Conway, before joining the djt campaign

Q: If, like you say, the GOP is a **** sandwich how do you get people to eat it?

KAC: You dip it in chocolate and tell them it's fat free. :)

What's NOT funny is how "people like you accuse those who disagree with you" of every nasty think under the sun. Never realizing that we too ARE AmeriCANs. You're postings are consistent with partly line doctrine disseminated by Faux and Bart.

Your postings are consistent with liberal party line doctrine.

Your postings are consistent with liberal party line doctrine.

Somewhat, not 100%.

Be sure to get your story straight. There are mixed messages coming out of trumpville. It's aaaaalllll just a part of the negotiations. Or... it's all Kim's fault. I see you've opted for the "Let's believe trump is still in for the Nobel Prize" path. [emoji38]
What mixed messages? Trump has pointed out all along that he would be willing to walk put of negotiations if the North Koreans were not serious. Trump cancelling the Singapore summit is part of the negotiations. Now NK is talking to us again. NK is now coming to the realization that Trump will not be played like previous presidents were.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

What mixed messages? Trump has pointed out all along that he would be willing to walk put of negotiations if the North Koreans were not serious.

OR djt's dumb ass National Security Advisor (and part time Faux News Troll) AND kiss ass Vice pResident indicated the US would only settle for a Libya solution. Which didn't work out so well for Kaddafi.

Trump cancelling the Singapore summit is part of the negotiations.

OR djt's "cancel first" attempt to save face, because Kim, if he's got a brain in his head, wasn't going for a Libya "solution"

Now NK is talking to us again. NK is now coming to the realization that Trump will not be played like previous presidents were.

OR, of you're listening, sounds like djt is trying hard to walk back yesterdays temper tantrum.

The way I’d describe it is there were a small number of academics, government workers, and intellectuals that were finding themselves isolated from the Democratic Party’s consensus in the mid-to-late 1960s through the late 1970s. Irving Kristol was one of those persons and helped give a platform for those individuals to express themselves and their ideas or research.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

That was in an era when the Southern States were known as the Conservative Democrat states. The Vietnam War and other Civil Rights issues divided the Conservative Democrats into two camps. Many of them crossed over to the Republican party and were a huge factor with the election of Richard Nixon!

China has put pressure on Kim to make nice with America and SK, so there have been a few public good will gestures and vague, meaningless statements about peace, in order to cool things down.

For some bizarre reason, the WH and the entire conservative establishment assumed that meant NK was ready to denuclearize, and sign on to the same deal they know got Qaddafi and Hussein killed, and Trump jumped at the first offer of a summit without any real indication that what he wanted was actually on the negotiating table.

Of course, some of us suspected the deal sounded too good to be true because it was, but Trump and his base didn't want to hear it, and celebrated a Nobel prize award before the summit even happened.

Kim and NK sensed how important the meeting was to Trump, so they squeezed him for public concessions, seeing how far they could go before he realized they were playing him in bad faith - which turned out to be pretty far.

An absolute disaster for the WH.
Well China also got ZTE too, which is a big deal, so it's not like they walked away empty-handed.

So everyone gets something....except the US.

What a great negotiator!
Well Trump got his $500M for his branded property, so it's not like 'no' American won.

1] Trump won
2] China won
3] NK won
4] U.S. lost

Three out of four ain't so bad, is it?

What mixed messages? Trump has pointed out all along that he would be willing to walk put of negotiations if the North Koreans were not serious. Trump cancelling the Singapore summit is part of the negotiations. Now NK is talking to us again. NK is now coming to the realization that Trump will not be played like previous presidents were.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Trump cancelled because he wanted to cancel before Un did. Even though there was no clear indication from that he was going to do so.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/inside-summit-collapse-trump-wanted-cancel-n-korean-leader-could-n877291
Early Thursday morning, after a flurry of calls with a handful of senior advisers, an angry President Donald Trump personally dictated the three-paragraph letter to North Korean leader Kim Jong Un that canceled the scheduled summit between their two nations.

It had been less than 12 hours since Trump and his team began grappling intensely with the prospects for shelving what would have been a historic meeting between the two heads of state.
But the president, fearing that the North Koreans might beat him to the punch, wanted to be the one to cancel first, multiple officials told NBC News.

"There was no hint of this yesterday," a person briefed on the summit preparations said, calling Trump's decision "high risk, high reward."

In the previous hours, the president had listened to blistering rhetoric from North Korea, was contending with inflammatory remarks from his own vice president and caught between competing positions from his secretary of state and his national security adviser, officials said.

Make no mistake. China is is driving the events behind this summit. It was shortly after Un met with Xi that North Korea began adopting a harder line. China doesn't like any of this unification talk and they will never stand for a Western aligned democratic capitalist nation sitting right on their doorstep without them having any say in it first.

Un is playing this game masterfully. His message to Trump that he was "willing" to give the US "time to reconsider" is designed to make him appear to be more the adult in the room. Trump took onus off of Un by cancelling first. If Trump refuses to reinstate the summit now he will look even more like the one who doesn't want to negotiate which will greatly weaken the US's case to the rest of world for maintaining the sanctions. So it would appear that Un is still likely to get his prized photo op with the President of the US. Thus cementing his status as a legitimate leader of a world power. Don't be surprised later if North and South Korea begin to suggest to the US that China ought to be given a seat at the table in the peace process as they were one of the main belligerents involved in the Korean War as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom