• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The gun used in Vegas might not have been an automatic!

I am sure that is true. So what? What should be the warning sign of too many guns? A hundred? Five hundred? A thousand? Ten thousand?

If there is roughly one gun for every American that means a person with 42 guns (and that is all we know today) has 42 times the average number. Should that not trigger at least an inquiry?

Nope. There's nothing illegal or unhealthy about having a large number of firearms. Extending an argument offered forth by another member- drunk drivers kill more people in a week than all of the mass shooters this country has ever had. Should we start sending the police to the house of every person with both a driver's license and a case of beer??

Nope. There's nothing illegal or unhealthy about having a large number of firearms. Extending an argument offered forth by another member- drunk drivers kill more people in a week than all of the mass shooters this country has ever had. Should we start sending the police to the house of every person with both a driver's license and a case of beer??

Having an excessively abnormal amount of guns, particularly ones that are converted to automatic - could that be a warning sign?

God directed Noah to kill all the people on earth except his immediate family and a couple other animals. The largest mass murder in history. Noah did as told. Probably not the best role models.

Clearly you have never seen the inside of a Bible. :roll:

Only Noah, his wife, his three sons and their wives were safe on the Ark. Except these 8 people [1 Peter 3:20], every other person died.

That's my understanding. Why don't you enlighten me?

God made it clear that sin has a punishment and that the punishment is death. Those people chose sin and God gave them grace until there was no more room for grace and then imposed the penalty for the actions they chose to undertake. Had they chosen righteousness, there would have been room on the ark for them as well. It's the old story of "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time."

Could it be a warning sign? Is it possible it is a warning sign?

You tell me. You made the claim, its your responsibility to back it up, not mine.

Having an excessively abnormal amount of guns, particularly ones that are converted to automatic - could that be a warning sign?

Nope. Your definition of "excessively abnormal" has no bearing on this, neither does the fact that the weapons can be converted to full automatic. What matters is the fact that this nut did something illegal and it wasn't owning firearms.

The question is even if you could somehow ban guns, would he have done something else? Use a truck or a bomb or poison or some other means. Maybe kill people one at a time using mailbombs or anthrax?

I've made that point before. Fact is guns are relatively inefficient as a means of mass murder. Each victim must be taken out individually. The top 10 list includes fertilizer, box cutters, fire, airplanes, homemade bombs. All with more than 60 victims. All completely legal.

I am sure that is true. So what? What should be the warning sign of too many guns? A hundred? Five hundred? A thousand? Ten thousand?

If there is roughly one gun for every American that means a person with 42 guns (and that is all we know today) has 42 times the average number. Should that not trigger at least an inquiry?

I would be interested to hear what this inquisition might look like. Can you elaborate?

Only Noah, his wife, his three sons and their wives were safe on the Ark. Except these 8 people [1 Peter 3:20], every other person died.

That's my understanding. Why don't you enlighten me?

Are you saying you can't read and comprehend? If not, how can I help you?

God made it clear that sin has a punishment and that the punishment is death. Those people chose sin and God gave them grace until there was no more room for grace and then imposed the penalty for the actions they chose to undertake. Had they chosen righteousness, there would have been room on the ark for them as well. It's the old story of "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time."

And all but 8 dead.

And all but 8 dead.

Right. Are you listening then?

I can read. I've read the bible. It's been years.

The line I quoted was from this site:

https://beyondflannelgraph.wordpress.com/the-ark/how-many-people-were-on-the-ark/

A decidedly religious site. Tell me where it or I was wrong.

I don't wish to turn this into a religious bible study argument. They go nowhere.

You claimed Noah murdered people. Clearly wrong by even casual observation. Yes, these arguments go nowhere because people like you insist on spouting contrarian, hyperbolic, NONSENSE.

Carry on. :roll:

You tell me. You made the claim, its your responsibility to back it up, not mine.

You were the one that told me owning more than 40 guns is not a warning sign. But we know that in this case, it certainly could have been a sign that something was amiss.

In your opinion, could owning more than 40 guns be a warning sign in some instances?

Which demonstrates conclusively why we need to change some laws then.
to what? The laws were already there...should we change them to make it LEGAL for him to obtain an automatic? You can't stop an illegal act by making it DOUBLY illegal....it's not going to do anything.

If he obtained the weapon illegally, then gun control is simply a moot point, NOT ONE SINGLE LAW could have prevented him from obtaining it.

Nope. Your definition of "excessively abnormal" has no bearing on this, neither does the fact that the weapons can be converted to full automatic. What matters is the fact that this nut did something illegal and it wasn't owning firearms.

We are talking about warning signs. In this case if we had known that the individual had over 40 weapons and many of them had been converted to fire similar to an automatic weapon, that certainly could have been seen as a warning sign.

But maybe you do NOT want any warning signs? It certainly appears so in your zeal to even accept the possibility.

https://www.galatiinternational.com/bmf-trigger-activator-1022-22-rifle-rapid-fire-crank.html

I was watching one of the talking heads on TV and caught something interesting when they were talking about the kind of gun used in the shooting in Las Vegas. Apparently you can make a semiautomatic shoot as fast as an automatic in several ways. the most interesting requires the use of a tripod. You attach the weapon to the tripod and add a crank to the weapons trigger. It looks like a crank handle attached to the trigger guard that has a wheel with several knobs on it. It looked like there were four of those. Every time you cranked the wheel the knobs would push the trigger firing the gun up to four times every time you cranked the wheel. The gun would fire as fast as most automatics. The reason I mention this is a also heard that the shooter had two guns set up on tripods. It is interesting how gun makers and those who make attachments for weapons are only interested in sales. The use of this crank makes the weapon useless for hunting or for self protection, so the only reason is for killing people on a mass scale.

Obsession with reasons is stupid. Can you point to where the second requires a reason? This is America. Do you need a reason to own a muscle car? Paintball guns? Learn karate? Purchase a knife?

We are talking about warning signs. In this case if we had known that the individual had over 40 weapons and many of them had been converted to fire similar to an automatic weapon, that certainly could have been seen as a warning sign.

But maybe you do NOT want any warning signs? It certainly appears so in your zeal to even accept the possibility.

Will you explain what the gun ownership inquisition should look like? I want to understand how it would work to keep us 'safe.'

Exactly why I don't get into religious arguments. I was responding to a post. Said post claiming that the tragedy in Vegas was due to the world not following the Christian God. I made my point.

You have no point, if to make it, it requires false, idiotic claims. :roll: :roll:

You claimed Noah murdered people. Clearly wrong by even casual observation. Yes, these arguments go nowhere because people like you insist on spouting contrarian, hyperbolic, NONSENSE.

Carry on. :roll:

All but 8 died. That's the Christian Bible's claim. Not mine.

Back
Top Bottom