• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The gun used in Vegas might not have been an automatic!

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
https://www.galatiinternational.com/bmf-trigger-activator-1022-22-rifle-rapid-fire-crank.html

I was watching one of the talking heads on TV and caught something interesting when they were talking about the kind of gun used in the shooting in Las Vegas. Apparently you can make a semiautomatic shoot as fast as an automatic in several ways. the most interesting requires the use of a tripod. You attach the weapon to the tripod and add a crank to the weapons trigger. It looks like a crank handle attached to the trigger guard that has a wheel with several knobs on it. It looked like there were four of those. Every time you cranked the wheel the knobs would push the trigger firing the gun up to four times every time you cranked the wheel. The gun would fire as fast as most automatics. The reason I mention this is a also heard that the shooter had two guns set up on tripods. It is interesting how gun makers and those who make attachments for weapons are only interested in sales. The use of this crank makes the weapon useless for hunting or for self protection, so the only reason is for killing people on a mass scale.

Last edited:
https://www.galatiinternational.com/bmf-trigger-activator-1022-22-rifle-rapid-fire-crank.html

I was watching one of the talking heads on TV and caught something interesting when they were talking about the kind of gun used in the shooting in Las Vegas. Apparently you can make a semiautomatic shoot as fast as an automatic in several ways. the most interesting requires the use of a tripod. You attach the weapon to the tripod and add a crank to the weapons trigger. It looks like a crank handle attached to the trigger guard that has a wheel with several knobs on it. It looked like there were four of those. Every time you cranked the wheel the knobs would push the trigger firing the gun up to four times every time you cranked the wheel. The gun would fire as fast as most automatics. The reason I mention this is a also heard that the shooter had two guns set up on tripods. It is interesting how gun makers and those who make attachments for weapons are only interested in sales. The use of this crank makes the weapon useless for hunting or for self protection, so the only reason is for killing people on a mass scale.

So you are saying that if I bought one of those tripods with a crank, I’d go out and shoot people and kill on a mass scale rather than the old fashioned one by one I’m accustomed to?

I always knew crank would make you crazy!

But not as crazy as you!

This guy was godless. It drove him mad, obviously. As our society slips further and further a way from God this is what we see materialize in our culture.
It really is this simple.
A wicked man like this will find a way to destroy. Are you surprised? There is evil in this world.

I read an article a few minutes ago stating the shooter used a 'bump stock'

when I listened to the audio of the shooting it did not sound like a 'pure' auto sound so, a bump stock does seem to fit the audible

Last edited:
I read an article a few minutes ago stating the shooter used a 'bump stock'

when I listened to the audio of shooting it did not sound like a 'pure' auto sound so, a bump stock does seem to fit the audible

I've been wondering that from the beginning. I only heard of bump fire stocks back in April.

I've been wondering that from the beginning. I only heard of bump fire stocks back in April.

You don't even need a stock or anything but a gun and a belt loop. I've done it out in the desert with anything from a 22lr to 308.
Just hook your thumb in a belt loop and go. Plenty of youtube vids on it.

Gun control doesn't work on those with bad character. They will find a way to kill. That is the world we live in. There is real evil out there.

You don't even need a stock or anything but a gun and a belt loop. I've done it out in the desert with anything from a 22lr to 308.
Just hook your thumb in a belt loop and go. Plenty of youtube vids on it.

Gun control doesn't work on those with bad character. They will find a way to kill. That is the world we live in. There is real evil out there.

Yes, there is. As you said in an earlier post, this is what we reap in post-Christian America. yay. :(

Apparantly, the guy also had 40 guns at his apartment, and the FBI say he just "slipped under the radar", despite being reported many times, and being the son of a most wanted criminal.

Interesting how that happens, every responsible gun owner acts responsibly in this case, and yet they get blamed for it as it's their fault.

Apparantly, the guy also had 40 guns at his apartment, and the FBI say he just "slipped under the radar", despite being reported many times, and being the son of a most wanted criminal.
Interesting how that happens, every responsible gun owner acts responsibly in this case, and yet they get blamed for it as it's their fault.

This is an interesting point. Even my wife said "how was he able to have all those guns?"
I don't think there is a law limiting the number of guns one can own.
What if he had 327 guns? Just saying, he can only fire one at a time. One would have been enough.
And I'm not even sure it was illegal to have them in the hotel room. That would be a hotel policy question I think.
And thousands of rounds of ammo? Same thing.

The point is, if this guy wanted to kill hundreds, there are a number of methods he might have used. Guns are one method.

The thing that boggles my mind is that there have been 28 people in the U.S. killed since this shooting by drunk drivers. Yes, 28 since yesterday. One more day and we will be near the total killed by this gunman. By the end of the week we will have killed almost 200 by drunk drivers.

Now what happens if I go out today and drink a couple too many and get pulled over? I get a ticket. My insurance goes up. Not too much else.
Will the news report I have 18 bottles of booze at home? No.

In my mind this is an epidemic. How many of those 200 folks killed a week are children? You probably can't even say. But you can say how many in Sandy Hook were killed by a gun.
Why is that?

It seems proportional to me to say if you get a DUI once, you lose your license for 5 years. If you get a second one you lose it forever. Done.
How many lives would that save?
But we are focused on gun deaths, which are eclipsed by DUI deaths in less than a week.

Progressives, help me understand.

This guy was godless. It drove him mad, obviously. As our society slips further and further a way from God this is what we see materialize in our culture.
A wicked man like this will find a way to destroy. Are you surprised? There is evil in this world.

Oh for Chrissakes.

Thousands are slaughtered in the name of some imaginary sky fairy every year, all over the world, and the problem here was that this jabroni didn't believe hard enough in your chosen imaginary sky fairy?

Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here.

This is an interesting point. Even my wife said "how was he able to have all those guns?"
What if he had 327 guns? Just saying, he can only fire one at a time. One would have been enough.
And I'm not even sure it was illegal to have them in the hotel room. That would be a hotel policy question I think.
And thousands of rounds of ammo? Same thing.

The point is, if this guy wanted to kill hundreds, there are a number of methods he might have used. Guns are one method.

The thing that boggles my mind is that there have been 28 people in the U.S. killed since this shooting by drunk drivers. Yes, 28 since yesterday. One more day and we will be near the total killed by this gunman. By the end of the week we will have killed almost 200 by drunk drivers.

Now what happens if I go out today and drink a couple too many and get pulled over? I get a ticket. My insurance goes up. Not too much else.
Will the news report I have 18 bottles of booze at home? No.

In my mind this is an epidemic. How many of those 200 folks killed a week are children? You probably can't even say. But you can say how many in Sandy Hook were killed by a gun.
Why is that?

It seems proportional to me to say if you get a DUI once, you lose your license for 5 years. If you get a second one you lose it forever. Done.
How many lives would that save?
But we are focused on gun deaths, which are eclipsed by DUI deaths in less than a week.

Progressives, help me understand.

I don't see any "progressives" lobbying for less stringent DUI laws.

If a weapon can be adapted and changed so that it pretty much functions as an automatic - and the audio of the Vegas slaughter easily confirms that function - does it matter it is is an automatic or not according to some definition intended to say it is not really?

If a weapon can be adapted and changed so that it pretty much functions as an automatic - and the audio of the Vegas slaughter easily confirms that function - does it matter it is is an automatic or not according to some definition intended to say it is not really?

do we even know if he used these devices? It seems just as likely it was an automatic, which has been illegal since the 80's. If he used illegal weapons, that changes the debate entirely.

It appears that the Vegas killer had many guns because he used many guns in that attack. While he can only use one at a time that second, he did use many over t he hour he was firing.

Also, we seem to be asking about warning signs that a person is unstable and might do something like this. I would submit that owning over forty such weapons is a warning sign.

I wonder why a review of the national gun registration records did not trigger a visit to him when we saw he had so many and the type he owned?

OH WAIT!!!!! :doh We don't have any such thing. :shock: Never mind. :roll:

do we even know if he used these devices? It seems just as likely it was an automatic, which has been illegal since the 80's. If he used illegal weapons, that changes the debate entirely.

I am not saying what it was - but that the audio indicates it functioned as an automatic weapon so what does it matter if it was an automatic one which had been adapted to function as one?

It appears that the Vegas killer had many guns because he used many guns in that attack. While he can only use one at a time that second, he did use many over t he hour he was firing.

Also, we seem to be asking about warning signs that a person is unstable and might do something like this. I would submit that owning over forty such weapons is a warning sign.

I wonder why a review of the national gun registration records did not trigger a visit to him when we saw he had so many and the type he owned?

OH WAIT!!!!! :doh We don't have any such thing. :shock: Never mind. :roll:
The bigger question is why notifications from Gun Shops didn't trigger a visit. We have laws in the books, why weren't they enforced? Do you suggest we should we pass more laws just to enforce laws we already have?

I am not saying what it was - but that the audio indicates it functioned as an automatic weapon so what does it matter if it was an automatic one which had been adapted to function as one?

because one is legal and the other isn't. If this were an illegal weapon obtained illegally, then gun control is kind of moot point because he, apparently, found a way to obtain it(or...them, since he had so many) by breaking current laws on the books.

With all the publicity this has brought to the ability to convert a semi to an automatic, there probably will be. More and deadlier.

For those who aren't overly familiar, this has been known in the gun communities for 50 or 60 years. Or perhaps forever... This isn't like a new secret that just got out.

Such a good point. That is why religious people have never been inspired to kill anyone...

Back
Top Bottom