• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Spokane county shelter adopts out pit bull, kills 4 year old boy

DCCougar said:
A brief review of the article you link to reveals that your rendition of this story is inexcusably false and misleading. Basically, you lay blame on the wrong organization.
It says exactly what I wrote, a month before the fatal attack that killed Kline the city passed a resolution banning the use of euthanasia for dangerous dogs
Let's review. You start this thread with the following:
This is a topic that doesn’t get enough attention, how animal “rights” extremists have taken over local animal shelters which are taxpayer funded and used them as platforms to advance agendas like “no kill” policies which directly lead to often fatal harm to the public.
In reading your second link from the OP, there's no mention of "animal rights extremists" here "taking over local animal shelters which are taxpayer funded." Instead, it says:
Spokane City Council passed an ordinance regulating euthanization laws at SCRAPS in Monday night's meeting. This comes after the shelter euthanized 14 dogs Wednesday.
So it was the City Council, not the local animal shelter, and there's no mention of any organization being "taken over" by animal rights extremists.

Your first link goes to dogsbite.org, which has been criticized for publishing misleading or inaccurate information. A link within that article reveals that an employee who was fired from the animal shelter "after an argument" contacted the local news media claiming that dogs were being "executed." The shelter justified their actions by saying that the dogs were euthanized "because they were an untreatable threat. And that's a public safety risk," noting that "many of the dogs assessed had histories of dangerous bites and aggressive tendencies."

Just trying to get the story straight.

The parents should have done some thinking. It is a sad story but I can't blame the dog.

Nice dodge on what I was getting at.

The thing is that when people blame the victim it doesn't do any good for a breed and its longevity. People have such a hard time admitting what a particular breed of dog is capable of.

Last edited:
Let's review. You start this thread with the following:

In reading your second link from the OP, there's no mention of "animal rights extremists" here "taking over local animal shelters which are taxpayer funded." Instead, it says:

So it was the City Council, not the local animal shelter, and there's no mention of any organization being "taken over" by animal rights extremists.

Your first link goes to dogsbite.org, which has been criticized for publishing misleading or inaccurate information. A link within that article reveals that an employee who was fired from the animal shelter "after an argument" contacted the local news media claiming that dogs were being "executed." The shelter justified their actions by saying that the dogs were euthanized "because they were an untreatable threat. And that's a public safety risk," noting that "many of the dogs assessed had histories of dangerous bites and aggressive tendencies."

Just trying to get the story straight.
In this case however the animal rights extremists didn’t need to take over the shelter, they got the city council to pass a law mandating dangerous animals not be euthanized

In this case however the animal rights extremists didn’t need to take over the shelter, they got the city council to pass a law mandating dangerous animals not be euthanized
Well, from the reporting, it sounds like the only "extremist" was one guy who used to work at the shelter who had an "argument" there, got fired, and went and reported his disgruntledness to the local media.

Lies, both of the above. It seems as if everyone who disagrees with your flawed worldviews is automatically labeled by yourself as an "extremist," does not make for a credible argument. As to mandating dangerous dogs not be euthanized, post the ordinance so we can see your lie for ourselves. :unsure:

By Non-Hate Alone Does Hatred End ☯️

Yes.

It doesn't matter if it's a puppy like the one that attacked me and left a scar on my upper thigh or if it's a full grown one that destroyed the hand of the girlfriend of a friend of mine.

You got attacked … by a puppy? 😂😂

Yes.

It doesn't matter if it's a puppy like the one that attacked me and left a scar on my upper thigh or if it's a full grown one that destroyed the hand of the girlfriend of a friend of mine.
Was this the puppy? ;)

1000_F_582703278_WQB61WZoCIHjIpolGOfJFsehJso2aEu7.jpg

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

However, by the time the dog gets to the shelter, the dog isn't always capable of being socialized. Some are irreparably damaged as was the clear case with the Pitbull who went out for adoption, killing a four-year-old child. Someone or some at the shelter seriously failed the family who adopted this dog because those in charge of making sure he was ready for adoption seriously screwed up. This dog was clearly unsociable and unadoptable.
I take your point, but the assumption that the victim did not initiate the attack is not clear. It is a tragic part of pet ownership that young children can invade a animals space and invite retaliation. When an animal retaliates they go to their 'lizard brain' and a pits retaliation will be far worse than a chihuahua's.

I don't think so...unless that picture was taken 30 years ago. Also, I remember the dog being a lighter shade of brown.

Was it him? He looks positively vicious.

IMG_4891.jpeg

So you've been carrying a grudge for 30 years? That's sad, imho. ☮️
No. Not carrying a grudge, but I have been staying away from pit bulls.

I see that as a smart thing to do.

The problem is that Pit Bulls are responsible for two thirds of fatal dog attacks.
The problem is that irresponsible owners and breeders are responsible foe ALL dog attacks. It's a human problem my friend. Fess up to that fact.

No. Not carrying a grudge, but I have been staying away from pit bulls.
Yet you still see it necessary to blame you hatred of the breed on an event that happened 30 tears ago, otherwise why would you bother to bring it up?
I see that as a smart thing to do.
Considering how well canines can sense human emotions, that's probably best for both of you. ;)

Yet you still see it necessary to blame you hatred of the breed on an event that happened 30 tears ago, otherwise why would you bother to bring it up?

Considering how well canines can sense human emotions, that's probably best for both of you. ;)
Nice try, but this isn't about me. I love dogs and get along very well with them.

I gave two personal examples of behavior by pit bulls. I could provide you with a lot more examples that other people have experienced.

The undeniable fact is that pit bulls are a dangerous breed and should be wiped from the face of the earth.

Nice try, but this isn't about me. I love dogs and get along very well with them.
So you say. Your words prove otherwise, and you most assuredly made this about you.
I gave two personal examples of behavior by pit bulls. I could provide you with a lot more examples that other people have experienced.
Anectdotals by an anonymous poster have no credibility.
The undeniable fact is that pit bulls are a dangerous breed and should be wiped from the face of the earth.
The only undeniable fact here is your hatred and ignorance of the breed.
Another undeniable fact is that human beings are the most invasive and destructive species of animal that ever walked the planet. Perhaps we should wipe ourselves from the face of the earth (and we probably will). :(

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

However, by the time the dog gets to the shelter, the dog isn't always capable of being socialized. Some are irreparably damaged as was the clear case with the Pitbull who went out for adoption, killing a four-year-old child. Someone or some at the shelter seriously failed the family who adopted this dog because those in charge of making sure he was ready for adoption seriously screwed up. This dog was clearly unsociable and unadoptable.
I can't agree that it's the fault of anyone at the shelter. They get in a dog, and the entire time the environment is nothing like it would be in a home. They can only evaluate what they see, and what they see in the shelter is often not like what an adopted family will see after the adjustment period. This is such a truism that there's a 3-3-3 rule that estimates the time for an adopted dog to start showing his true personality. The shelter will never see that, because the environment is so overwhelming for many dogs.

Further, the family had the dog in their home for 3 months. How can a shelter be expected to see behavior risks that the family that adopted the dog don't see in 3 months of living with them, every day, all day?

Anyway, I appreciate families that adopt from shelters, but I'd never do it other than a puppy, especially with a small child at home. It's a crap shoot what the dog's experiences were before being surrendered, and by being surrendered you have some indication it wasn't an ideal previous life. When you are an adult, you can regulate your own interactions with the dog, but you can't ask a 4 year old to do that. You can't expect that a small child to know how to properly interact with any dog, that the child won't harass the dog, pull ears, tails, or pose a threat to the dog with his or her erratic behavior.

The problem is that irresponsible owners and breeders are responsible foe ALL dog attacks.
WRONG. You have no basis for saying that.

Back
Top Bottom