• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Portrait of Melania Trump

I do this for a living, and my personal feeling is that the portrait "needed more time to cook." What Melania is giving off here is a very familiar kind of stiffness and discomfort that comes with having just started the photography process. A really good photo shoot goes on for at least three hours, and only is it near the end that the subject starts to relax around the photographer and come across as more natural. It feels to me like the photographer maybe had a half hour with her.
On a more personal aesthetic level, I'm not a big fan of the "body growing out of the middle of the canvas" compositional method.

Thoughts?

First Lady Melania Trump Gets Her First Official Portrait : NPR

View attachment 67215918

Waitaminnit!!

You are criticizing Melania Trump, a professional model, for not being comfortable in front of a camera? :lamo

She not only looks comfortable, she looks confident. My criticism about the photo is that her face is out of focus.

Waitaminnit!!

You are criticizing Melania Trump, a professional model, for not being comfortable in front of a camera? :lamo

She not only looks comfortable, she looks confident. My criticism about the photo is that her face is out of focus.

If it was it had to be because of the background, because she had made up her mind that this is what she wanted and the photog had technical problems making it perfect for her. She and Trump are very smart very willful people, it takes a very high level of relationship proficiency to make this thing work for sure, from both of them. I find Malania to be a very fascinating person, as is Don.

Weird how? Do you think it's inappropriate for a First Lady to have done those things? Do you think she's still worthy of having the title even though we've seen her naked?

Of course she is worthy of the title, it's just weird. Not too long ago, there was a movie made about a woman running for President who lost because a sex tape came out starring her when she was a college student. I forget the name of it. But it would be a big deal, don't you think? There are pictures of Melania not only naked, but also making out with another woman. I somehow have a difficult time seeing Laura Bush or Nancy Reagan in that light. Having said that, I suspect that in 20-50 years from now it would probably be the norm.

Of course she is worthy of the title, it's just weird. Not too long ago, there was a movie made about a woman running for President who lost because a sex tape came out starring her when she was a college student. I forget the name of it. But it would be a big deal, don't you think? There are pictures of Melania not only naked, but also making out with another woman. I somehow have a difficult time seeing Laura Bush or Nancy Reagan in that light. Having said that, I suspect that in 20-50 years from now it would probably be the norm.

It's definitely weird for a US First Lady. I just find it interesting that the people who claim to be very open to accepting all sexual behaviors keep bringing this up about Melania as if it's something she should be ashamed of.

Not really sure why people think she is attractive. To me she just looks kind of weird.

As for the picture, it looks like someone went to crazy smoothing out her face in photoshop.

I like the photo, it is a little stiff, but it gives off a regal attitude.

Did you make the mistake of trying to post before you had your coffee?

Come on, there has to be a good story here.

It's simply not on for me. I did not like the press around Michelle, don't like it here as it distracts from the events that actually impact our lives.

If anything I suspect your "rock" is probably glass, like the plating in Trump tower

It's simply not on for me. I did not like the press around Michelle, don't like it here as it distracts from the events that actually impact our lives.

If anything I suspect your "rock" is probably glass, like the plating in Trump tower

Both women are extremely consequential as they both have enormous influence with Presidents, more than any other citizen most likely. The branding they choose as evidenced by their chosen portraits matters.

Both women are extremely consequential as they both have enormous influence with Presidents, more than any other citizen most likely. The branding they choose as evidenced by their chosen portraits matters.

It's just my opinion but I doubt Mrs Trump III has ANY influence on Orange Man. Any feminine influence is common from his daughter. Check into it, she's considered a White House employee and throwing snow balls.

The wife is window dressing, I don't think they even live togathert

It's just my opinion but I doubt Mrs Trump III has ANY influence on Orange Man. Any feminine influence is common from his daughter. Check into it, she's considered a White House employee and throwing snow balls.

Agreed.

Strong women like Melania general do not stay quiet when they believe that then men are behaving poorly, and I am very confident that Mrs. Trump does not defy the pattern. She is also his sounding board.

See 1:45 and 5:20-5:50

These are two very smart people who talk about important things, and he talks to her foirst or second often times, only Ivanka might have more influence.

11:50

Last edited:
Waitaminnit!!

Is that what I said, or is that what you saw?

I do this for a living, and my personal feeling is that the portrait "needed more time to cook." What Melania is giving off here is a very familiar kind of stiffness and discomfort that comes with having just started the photography process. A really good photo shoot goes on for at least three hours, and only is it near the end that the subject starts to relax around the photographer and come across as more natural. It feels to me like the photographer maybe had a half hour with her.
On a more personal aesthetic level, I'm not a big fan of the "body growing out of the middle of the canvas" compositional method.

Thoughts?

View attachment 67215918

Way to focus on the issues that matter.

Way to focus on the issues that matter.

Sorry, I forgot that the "off topic" forum is where all the world's burning issues are discussed.

Go on. Finish the rest of the post.

If you are counting on this:
A really good photo shoot goes on for at least three hours, and only is it near the end that the subject starts to relax around the photographer and come across as more natural

you will be disappointed with my response.

It does not take a professional hours to warm up and they do not wait until they have to perform to do their warming up. Professional musicians warm up before they go on stage. Professional actors warm up before they go on camera. So do professional models.

Your perception of discomfort on Melania seems to be just that - your perception. It does not seem to be widely shared, and when it comes to photography, how an image is perceived is how the image is judged. In this image, Melania is widely perceived as appearing confident

If you are counting on this:

you will be disappointed with my response.

It does not take a professional hours to warm up and they do not wait until they have to perform to do their warming up. Professional musicians warm up before they go on stage. Professional actors warm up before they go on camera. So do professional models.

Your perception of discomfort on Melania seems to be just that - your perception. It does not seem to be widely shared, and when it comes to photography, how an image is perceived is how the image is judged. In this image, Melania is widely perceived as appearing confident

And your perception of her being at ease is just that: your perception. One thing I don't try to do is change a person's mind over their perception of something that's entirely subjective. So I'm not going to make you see someone who's uncomfortable and there's no "magic logic" you can deliver that will make me see someone who's comfortable.

As to the idea that models "warm up" before working with the photographer, that just rings as kind of bizarre to me. However professional a model is, they're just human beings, and human beings still need to feel comfortable around other human beings, be that a photographer or a painter. Now, it has certainly happened that the best images I've gotten were literally in the first fifteen minutes, but in my experience that has overwhelmingly been the exception and not the rule.

And your perception of her being at ease is just that: your perception. One thing I don't try to do is change a person's mind over their perception of something that's entirely subjective. So I'm not going to make you see someone who's uncomfortable and there's no "magic logic" you can deliver that will make me see someone who's comfortable.

Yes, it is my perception, but it seems to be widely shared.

As to the idea that models "warm up" before working with the photographer, that just rings as kind of bizarre to me. However professional a model is, they're just human beings, and human beings still need to feel comfortable around other human beings, be that a photographer or a painter. Now, it has certainly happened that the best images I've gotten were literally in the first fifteen minutes, but in my experience that has overwhelmingly been the exception and not the rule.

Melania and the Trump family have used this photographer before. They know each other. And I doubt your clients included many professional models of the caliber and experience of a Melania Trump.

I think it is beautiful. It reminds me of those glamor shots of long ago. She is a beautiful woman. And, since you are claiming critical expertise, how about posting a couple of your shots?

Natasha-Fatale.jpg

Her eyes are a weird shape. It looks like her face has been stretched back and stapled behind her ears!

It's definitely weird for a US First Lady. I just find it interesting that the people who claim to be very open to accepting all sexual behaviors keep bringing this up about Melania as if it's something she should be ashamed of.

I think the point is that her supporters typically aren´t

I think the point is that her supporters typically aren´t

No, that isn't the point. The point is that people who are very tolerant of all sexual activity are suddenly like "ZOMG! The First Lady kissed another woman!" instead of being glad that someone who isn't so conservative on that topic is living in the White House.

Yes, you can make the point that Trump supporters are typically those who are more conservative in that area and should be speaking out against it --- but that wasn't my point.

Thoughts?

View attachment 67215918

Looks like a promo photo from that old soap opera Dynasty back in the 80's or some show like that. I think she is beautiful, but she also doesn't strike me as someone who projects much happiness.

Back
Top Bottom