• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Paul Ryan represents the tight wad,fiscal hawk side of the right.

Getting tax dollars for the rich? Do you realize that it ISN'T THE GOVERNMENT'S MONEY??? Please tell me that you keeping more of what you earn is an expense to the govt?

Isn't it? After all, one could argue that the rich utilize governmental services more than the poor. Business owners use the roads more, the court systems more, (by virtue of their risk of loss) they use the military, police, and fire department services more, they are more likely to be covered by FDIC insurance than a middle class or poor person since they likely have more money in banks, they benefit from the regulations of the stock market more, etc.

If you're insuring a house, one worth $100 million would cost more to insure than one worth $100k because the risk of loss is greater. I would say that the rich paying a lower percentage of their income represents taking government services and protections for which they did not pay.

to argue it is their property is to argue in favor of slavery or servitude.

so no, it is not theirs.

Actually, the money supply is governmental property, so there's that. Also, government = our collective society, so to say we are slaves to ourselves was a pretty deep statement, although probably unintentional. ;)

thread is a joke. Anyone who does not realize that the country is in a financial crisis, has been living under a rock. Ryan and Romney offer solutions,

:stop:

STOP RIGHT THERE!!

What solutions? In order for the 10%/25% to be deficit neutral, they must close major loopholes and tax breaks.

Which loopholes and tax breaks are they gong to close?

Tell me the real solutions! Which loopholes are the absolutely PROMISING to close.

How about the top earners just pay 25%, no loopholes. No deferments. No write-offs. 25% of salary, interest, and capital gains.

Who do you expect to back it up?

I expect it is backed up by faith in other people that wish to obtain my dollar.

To that end, I expect it to rapidly lose value as those claiming a strong dollar policy are liars.

Paul Ryan is an intellegent and well spoken member of the slash and burn side of GOP politics. He makes cutting entitlements in the middle of a downturn almost sound like a nice thing to do. He almot makes it seem like his party had nothing to do with this mess we are in and it is all the President and the liberals fault.

Well we are not buying the bitter medicene Mr Ryan is selling. The Ryan budget was unpopular and He took major heat from his own distict. There needs to be a more balenced approach. We can't slash entitlements when people need them the most and conservatives need to wait until this mess is over until we adress entitlements.

What about the social issue's that the conservatives suck at? They seem to not want to talk about the fact that the base of their party is a bunch of Jesus freaks and throw them in jail for everything rednecks. These morons would come out of the woodwork if we where stupid enough to elect Romney. Just look at what happened at the state level. Yes they may not want us to think about the ugly social conservative side of their party but we know those morons are waiting in the background. No thank you.

In a very short period of time, sometime today, the U.S. debt will go over 16 trillion dollars which is over 53,000 for every man, woman, and child in this country. When Obama took office it was 10.6 trillion. Isn't it about time we elected a slash and burn leader that will do what they say they are going to do. It would also be very helpful if supporters of this current Adminstration would stop distorting the plans or Ryan and Romney and instead look at the broken promises and disastrous economic policy of this Administration

:stop:

STOP RIGHT THERE!!

What solutions? In order for the 10%/25% to be deficit neutral, they must close major loopholes and tax breaks.

Which loopholes and tax breaks are they gong to close?

Tell me the real solutions! Which loopholes are the absolutely PROMISING to close.

How about the top earners just pay 25%, no loopholes. No deferments. No write-offs. 25% of salary, interest, and capital gains.

Do liberals like you ever consider economic growth and returning all social programs to the states? We are going over 16 trillion in debt today and never in one of your posts have I seen you call for cuts in govt. spending just higher taxes on those evil rich people so we might get another 80 billion dollars a year. Let's say we get 80 billion dollars from those evil rich people and the deficit is 1.4 trillion dollars. What will an 80 billion dollar reduction in that deficit do in the remote chance it even generates 80 billion? Let's see if someone from a suburb of Chicago can answer a direct question?

In a very short period of time, sometime today, the U.S. debt will go over 16 trillion dollars which is over 53,000 for every man, woman, and child in this country. When Obama took office it was 10.6 trillion. Isn't it about time we elected a slash and burn leader that will do what they say they are going to do. It would also be very helpful if supporters of this current Adminstration would stop distorting the plans or Ryan and Romney and instead look at the broken promises and disastrous economic policy of this Administration

Paul Ryan’s voting record: Big-spending conservatism

<snip>

And during a time when pork-laden highway bills were en vogue among the Capitol Hill GOP, Ryan backed the 2005 transportation legislation that included a litany of earmarks, including for the notorious “Bridge to Nowhere” in Alaska. Though the vast majority of the House supported the bill, a handful of anti-earmark hardliners such as Flake and current Speaker John Boehner rejected it.
On Dec. 10, 2008, during the last days of the Bush administration, Ryan was one of just 32 Republicans to vote for legislation that would have provided $14 billion in loans for the industry, citing the potential for layoffs in his district.
“It is clear that the mounting hardships throughout Southern Wisconsin have been downright gut-wrenching,” Ryan said in a statement issued after the vote. He has also said he voted for the package to ensure that the auto industry wouldn’t receive money from the main bank bailout.
But the House bill went nowhere in the Senate. President Barack Obama ultimately used money from TARP to help bail out the auto industry.
Ryan, like many Republicans, also voted to raise the debt limit at least five times during the Bush administration, when such votes were considered routine and uncontroversial.

Read more: Paul Ryan

Isn't it? After all, one could argue that the rich utilize governmental services more than the poor. Business owners use the roads more, the court systems more, (by virtue of their risk of loss) they use the military, police, and fire department services more, they are more likely to be covered by FDIC insurance than a middle class or poor person since they likely have more money in banks, they benefit from the regulations of the stock market more, etc.

If you're insuring a house, one worth $100 million would cost more to insure than one worth $100k because the risk of loss is greater. I would say that the rich paying a lower percentage of their income represents taking government services and protections for which they did not pay.

Do you know how roads are funded, who funds the court system? Would love to see how the rich use the military, police, and fire services more. I have posted the line items for the Federal govt. but like with any post that you disagree with you ignore it. Here it is again so tell me which line item the rich use more than the poor? Then tell me how much the poor pay for those services in the form of FIT which funds these line items?

Receipt

Individual Income tax
Corporate Taxes

Total

SS/Unemploy/Other

Excise Taxes

Expenses

Defense
International Affairs
Gen. Science, Space
Energy
Natural resources/env
Agriculture
Commerce/Housing Cr
Transportation
Community Dev
Education/Train/Social
Health
Medicare
Income Security
Social Security
Veterans Benefits
Justice
General Govt.
Net Interest

Some get it, but most liberals don't, to them there is an endless supply of money. All they care about is taking from those that have it and give it to them that don't. And if that can't be totally accomplished, they borrow it and give it to those that don't. This is all without any conscience that future generations are going to have to pay it back. Just think, we are living on money steroids, and when the borrowing stops that is going to be a really bad hit to the system, as that 1+ Trillion borrowed money will not be spread into the economy. Then to make matters worse, the the poor bastards that have to pay it back are going to have to dig deep into their pockets and hand over money that just goes to pay principle and interest on money they never seen. Thus instead of their money going to benefit them in the form of better housing, roads, medical, etc. their money is going to pay debt service created by their great grandparents. That is criminal

No? Could you destroy it, legally?

Sure, it's done every day, have you not seen those penny machines that flatten out a penny and stamp something on it and it gives it back.

Sure, it's done every day, have you not seen those penny machines that flatten out a penny and stamp something on it and it gives it back.

Than answer is no, it is against the law to destroy U.S. currency.

darn it. I was going to bait him along with his ignorant interpretation of the law.

darn it. I was going to bait him along with his ignorant interpretation of the law.

So if someone robs a bank and isn't caught, that means that bank robbery is legal? :lamo

Great logic.

Let me help you avoid further embarrassment:

"..Whoever mutilates, cuts, disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, Federal Reserve Bank, or Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued, shall be fined not more than $100 or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

Defacement of currency in such a way that it is made unfit for circulation comes under the jurisdiction of the United States Secret Service...."

Erm, what is wrong with your head? You just posted a link to the law that says it's against the law to deface currency in support of your argument that it ISN'T against the law to deface currency? :lamo :lamo

sec 333 has never been enforced and will never be enforced as it is unconstitutional.

people burn money in protests all the time. they are filmed doing it. not a single person has been arrested and charged with violation 333 and never will.

I can legally burn my money and convert my coins into the base metal.

I'm curious, Adam, have you ever owned a United States Flag?

sec 333 has never been enforced and will never be enforced as it is unconstitutional.

people burn money in protests all the time. they are filmed doing it. not a single person has been arrested and charged with violation 333 and never will.

I can legally burn my money and convert my coins into the base metal.

The fact is that it is illegal, and I've seen no evidence that the law has never been enforced. Just because jaywalking is rarely enforced doesn't make it legal, or the laws against it unconstitutional.

Back
Top Bottom