• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Panic Over High Death Rate

Absolute false. Conservatives all through modern history accepted totalitarian regimes as long as those regimes acted "in America's interest," which generally meant against communism. We accepted the tyranny in the Shah's Iran, the monarchy in Saudi Arabia, South & Central American dictatorships, etc. I can still remember Bush walking hand-in-hand with a Saudi prince.

Not forgetting doing business (IBM, Ford, GM and others), with Nazi Germany-until they started sinking US ships.

You apply considerations that are not needed to fit the descriptions used by most of the media sn most of the citizens of the United States.

I don't know why you feel compelled to do so, but you are certainly free to do so.

Panic | Definition of Panic at Dictionary.com

[h=1]panic[/h]1
[ pan-ik ]SHOW IPA
SEE SYNONYMS FOR panic ON THESAURUS.COM

[h=3]noun[/h]a sudden overwhelming fear, with or without cause, that produces hysterical or irrational behavior, and that often spreads quickly through a group of persons or animals.
an instance, outbreak, or period of such fear.

SEE MORE[h=3]adjective[/h]of the nature of, caused by, or indicating panic: A wave of panic buying shook the stock market.
(of fear, terror, etc.) suddenly destroying the self-control and impelling to some frantic action.

SEE MORE[h=3]verb (used with object), pan·icked, pan·ick·ing.[/h]to affect with panic; terrify and cause to flee or lose self-control.
Slang. to keep (an audience or the like) highly amused.

This is why everyone is hoarding toilet paper | Ars Technica

[h=1]This is why everyone is hoarding toilet paper[/h][h=2]A consumer behavior researcher explains why toilet paper shelves are bare.[/h]KIONA N. SMITH - 3/24/2020, 9:52 AM
TP-aisle-800x450.png
Enlarge / You know it's crazy when they even take the letter "E" from the sign.
I bought toilet paper 2 days ago. I am well aware why people are buying so much, but it is not panic. That is reducing panic to a single thing. In a case like this, it may be overly cautionary and even stupid in the beginning, but not panic.

Your definition doesnt even match what we see happening, especially for the majority of the population. And your link proved my point that this very same type of thing happens in relation to other natural events almost every year. It is based on a fear of running out of essential goods that are deemed needed. It is not true panic. People are not killing each other for toilet paper. They are not even rioting or calling for so and so to die. They are not racing out of stores because someone coughs or sneezes.

https://www.newsweek.com/coronavirus-spain-woman-drunk-valladolid-1486918

And that was months ago. There are some very rare incidents of true panic over this, but over buying for a perceived potential shortage or inability to actually get necessities is not one of them.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You apply considerations that are not needed to fit the descriptions used by most of the media sn most of the citizens of the United States.

I don't know why you feel compelled to do so, but you are certainly free to do so.

Panic | Definition of Panic at Dictionary.com

[h=1]panic[/h]1
[ pan-ik ]SHOW IPA
SEE SYNONYMS FOR panic ON THESAURUS.COM

[h=3]noun[/h]a sudden overwhelming fear, with or without cause, that produces hysterical or irrational behavior, and that often spreads quickly through a group of persons or animals.
an instance, outbreak, or period of such fear.

SEE MORE[h=3]adjective[/h]of the nature of, caused by, or indicating panic: A wave of panic buying shook the stock market.
(of fear, terror, etc.) suddenly destroying the self-control and impelling to some frantic action.

SEE MORE[h=3]verb (used with object), pan·icked, pan·ick·ing.[/h]to affect with panic; terrify and cause to flee or lose self-control.
Slang. to keep (an audience or the like) highly amused.

This is why everyone is hoarding toilet paper | Ars Technica

[h=1]This is why everyone is hoarding toilet paper[/h][h=2]A consumer behavior researcher explains why toilet paper shelves are bare.[/h]KIONA N. SMITH - 3/24/2020, 9:52 AM
TP-aisle-800x450.png
Enlarge / You know it's crazy when they even take the letter "E" from the sign.

That's the adult toy aisle.

The post addressed one point and did not change its meaning.

When you change something, by definition, it has been changed.

If you don't change it, then it has not been changed.

This is not difficult to grasp.

When you change something, by definition, it has been changed.

If you don't change it, then it has not been changed.

This is not difficult to grasp.

Neither is the difference between one and more than one difficult to grasp. A criticism of your taste in the hat you are wearing doesn't mean your shirt or pants or shoes or general apparel are criticized, though someone of low intelligence might take it that way.

I bought toilet paper 2 days ago. I am well aware why people are buying so much, but it is not panic. That is reducing panic to a single thing. In a case like this, it may be overly cautionary and even stupid in the beginning, but not panic.

Your definition doesnt even match what we see happening, especially for the majority of the population. And your link proved my point that this very same type of thing happens in relation to other natural events almost every year. It is based on a fear of running out of essential goods that are deemed needed. It is not true panic. People are not killing each other for toilet paper. They are not even rioting or calling for so and so to die. They are not racing out of stores because someone coughs or sneezes.

Coronavirus Panic After Woman Recently In China Coughs and Vomits at Party—Doctors Say She Was Only Drunk

And that was months ago. There are some very rare incidents of true panic over this, but over buying for a perceived potential shortage or inability to actually get necessities is not one of them.

Why do you believe that in order for anything to be classed as a panic, there must be rioting and death?

That is not mentioned in the definition at all.

Whether the irrational fear of running out of toilet paper was caused by panic, which means literally to act based on irrational fear, or not, the toilet paper ran out at almost all retail outlets.

You may choose to call actions based on irrational fear of real or imagined threats something other than panic, but that is pretty much the dictionary definition of "panic".

Once again:

"a sudden overwhelming fear, with or without cause, that produces hysterical or irrational behavior, and that often spreads quickly through a group of persons or animals.
an instance, outbreak, or period of such fear."

That's the adult toy aisle.

LOL! Oh, if only that was the case!

It will be interesting to track the rate of childbirth in the December 2020 timeframe compared to December 2019 timeframe. ;)

Why do you believe that in order for anything to be classed as a panic, there must be rioting and death?

That is not mentioned in the definition at all.

Whether the irrational fear of running out of toilet paper was caused by panic, which means literally to act based on irrational fear, or not, the toilet paper ran out at almost all retail outlets.

You may choose to call actions based on irrational fear of real or imagined threats something other than panic, but that is pretty much the dictionary definition of "panic".

Once again:

"a sudden overwhelming fear, with or without cause, that produces hysterical or irrational behavior, and that often spreads quickly through a group of persons or animals.
an instance, outbreak, or period of such fear."

Why is running out of toilet paper an irrational fear if some people literally cannot buy toilet paper for 2-6 weeks right now? In fact one of my coworkers right before we went to full work from home said he was out of toilet paper and the shelves were empty. That proves a valid fear of running out of toilet paper and not being able to buy any is real.

And no, that is not the general view of panic. Again this was explained to you. You are basically just trying to excuse Trumps rhetoric about claiming there is panic.

It will be interesting to track the rate of childbirth in the December 2020 timeframe compared to December 2019 timeframe. ;)
There will be, what will be called, The Pandemic Boom.”

Well, the great NY blackout had an effect, and it only lasted 13 hours.

Neither is the difference between one and more than one difficult to grasp. A criticism of your taste in the hat you are wearing doesn't mean your shirt or pants or shoes or general apparel are criticized, though someone of low intelligence might take it that way.

Using your metaphor, wearing the hat or not wearing the hat changes the impression projected by the wearer.

If the wearer didn't want the hat included in the outfit, or the pants or the shirt, he would not have worn them.

There are various shoppers I encounter who leave the house to buy stuff that make fashion decisions with which I disagree. I don't strip them of the offending articles of clothing when I see them.

I don't recall ever removing any clothing from anyone due to fashion choices. I have chosen to not wear a MAGA Hat due to the violent removals of MAGA Hats from other wearers. So, there's that...

Common courtesy.

Last edited:
Why is running out of toilet paper an irrational fear if some people literally cannot buy toilet paper for 2-6 weeks right now? In fact one of my coworkers right before we went to full work from home said he was out of toilet paper and the shelves were empty. That proves a valid fear of running out of toilet paper and not being able to buy any is real.

And no, that is not the general view of panic. Again this was explained to you. You are basically just trying to excuse Trumps rhetoric about claiming there is panic.

The people who rushed to the store buying more toilet paper than was dictated by their normal needs were making the panic buys.

The people like your friend who found the empty shelves are victims of the panic of the buyers who cleaned off the shelves.

Thank you for providing the back up for the proof of panic as I described and has been documented from numerous sources in our mass media nation wide.

There will be, what will be called, The Pandemic Boom.”

As a "Boomer", I find the names of the various segmented generations interesting.

I wonder what those people will be called as time moves forward.:confused:

Well, the great NY blackout had an effect, and it only lasted 13 hours.

I'm looking forward to the statistics that come out of this.

I hope there's a movie that details the efforts of couples seeking the properly secluded venue within the closed in quarantine conditions with the various family members within earshot.

Something with a generous use of flashback. Maybe some kind of a clock superimposed on the screen.

I don't make movies. Don't got the chops. The folks that do need to get to work now if they intend to have the movies out on time. ;)

The people who rushed to the store buying more toilet paper than was dictated by their normal needs were making the panic buys.

The people like your friend who found the empty shelves are victims of the panic of the buyers who cleaned off the shelves.

Thank you for providing the back up for the proof of panic as I described and has been documented from numerous sources in our mass media nation wide.

Describe "normal needs". Most people only bought the equivalent of 2 months worth of toilet paper, or one, maybe 2, jumbo pack(s) depending on family size, what I and some others normally purchase. The only reason this caused a shortage is because it is abnormal from most people's normal habit when it comes to such purchases. The majority buy from week to week, maybe a couple of weeks, not months.

It isnt panic. It is no different than any more short term natural disaster. You subjective opinion has not been proven at all. Do you think my coworker somehow was hurt or harmed by not getting TP? I doubt it since he is online every morning til afternoon, M-F working.

Don’t mock people for buying extra toilet paper — they’re doing the best they can with inconsistent and sometimes wrong advice - MarketWatch

In abnormal situations, especially when information is lacking or contradicting, people go with their instincts, which is to prepare for the worst.

I'm looking forward to the statistics that come out of this.

I hope there's a movie that details the efforts of couples seeking the properly secluded venue within the closed in quarantine conditions with the various family members within earshot.

Something with a generous use of flashback. Maybe some kind of a clock superimposed on the screen.

I don't make movies. Don't got the chops. The folks that do need to get to work now if they intend to have the movies out on time. ;)

I asked my brother if he's seen an increase in domestic disputes or other violent crime. His answer was yes, slightly, on domestics, and a reduction in violent crime. He was pretty insistent that this is anecdotal, though, and what he has seen is not necessarily what there IS to be seen.

I asked my brother if he's seen an increase in domestic disputes or other violent crime. His answer was yes, slightly, on domestics, and a reduction in violent crime. He was pretty insistent that this is anecdotal, though, and what he has seen is not necessarily what there IS to be seen.

I'm guessing your brother is a cop. (?)

Domestic violence is not the kind of domestic activity I was considering.

I've heard a couple amusing statistics on alcohol which might contribute to the domestic violence you cite:

1. Alcohol purchased for home consumption is up by about 55%.

2. I forget the stat on what the exact number is, but there is a high (at least to me it sounded high) percentage of folks who are drinking while working from home.

I'm not at all sure about the accuracy of either assertion, but it just sounded funny to me. ;)

Regarding the domestic violence, if there was already a problem with this in a household, this stay at home order couldn't do anything but make it worse.

Back
Top Bottom