• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Newsom exempts Panera Bread over new CA minimum wage law because CEO contributed to his election

Man, you find the weirdest things to get upset about.

All bakeries are exempted, not simply Panera Bread.

How many other "bakeries" in CA otherwise would meet the criteria to be subject to the law?

Makes me question the idea of Newsom as a serious presidential candidate.
If it's one small favor and a one-off it's still bad because it affects a lot of employees, but is anything like this ever a one-off?
I don't think so.
On the other hand, Panera now paints itself into a corner because the exception states that Panera is a bakery, not a fast food joint, and is somehow a "special" case.
Well, if that's how it works then Panera can't just start expanding into further consolidation of its business models as a bandaid to make all its employees fit this category.

In any case this carve-out makes Newsom look like he's damaged goods.
I kept telling you the guy was at the least questionable, and whether or not Panera Bread is specifically exempt, a carve out is a carve out. The DNC loves him precisely because he's establishment and willing to play ball with corporations and make sausage (as he himself admitted) with unacceptable compromises; the bakery carve out is far from his own sin as this sort of thing goes. Of course it wouldn't stop with him spiking single payer contrary to his platform and suspect penchant for no-bid contracts.

Is he better than Trump? Definitely, but that's of course an exceedingly low bar.

question.
Does the Governor write the law or is it members of the State Legislator?
Officially, it's the members of the legislature. Unofficially, frequently the governor's office has a hand in it.
Does not both houses of the State Legislator have to pass the Bill before it goes to the Governor for signature?
I assume so (I've not looked into California's specific governing rules.
Did you read the linked article in my other post (65)?
I did.
As far as the Bill, seems it passed with a majority voting for
Okay.

Reactions: PoS
Man, you find the weirdest things to get upset about.

All bakeries are exempted, not simply Panera Bread.

He lied to troll the left. It's what he does.

Look at this pathetic stupidity:

To be fair, as far as I can tell, this is a relatively recent revelation. Apparently until recently it looked like they were exempt but now Newsom is saying otherwise.

It is a strange exception, but you are correct that it does not seem to apply to Panera apparently.
Thank you for confirming that this thread was little more than another groundless conspiracy theory posted by @PoS.
You love corruption and hypocrisy. We get it.

Third graders would laugh that shit right off the playground. PoS: you lied, you got busted. Par.

Last edited:
He lied to troll the left. It's what he does.

Look at this pathetic stupidity:

Third graders would laugh that shit right off the playground. PoS: you lied, you got busted. Par.
LOL aww, Mr. P and his patented daily Karen rant (which is not only hypocritical but weeks late). :ROFLMAO:

$20/hr min wage for fast food and we're wondering why the cost of fast food is unaffordable for working class folk?

Meanwhile we have a former president indicted in several a trials involving misuse of campaign donations to fraud to criminal charges.

A former president, who in the middle of a failed trade war with China, managed to secure Chinese copyrights for his daughter. Who hired and appointed friends and family who had no business being in the positions they were in..:

A former president who had to pay out to victims of Trump University over fraud and has been known to not pay contractors, etc.

And somehow Newsome is more corrupt…

$20/hr min wage for fast food and we're wondering why the cost of fast food is unaffordable for working class folk?
Thanks for the laugh. Fast food is a luxury. Restaurant’s are a luxury. It should be treated as such. I do, and I’m not in the working class or blue collar.

At least grocery prices have gone down a smidge while luxuries like restaurants went up. At least the working class can afford better meals than fast food.

No one has to buy fast food. But we have to buy groceries. That’s where the argument should be.

Thanks for the laugh. Fast food is a luxury. Restaurant’s are a luxury. It should be treated as such. I do, and I’m not in the working class or blue collar.

At least grocery prices have gone down a smidge while luxuries like restaurants went up. At least the working class can afford better meals than fast food.

No one has to buy fast food. But we have to buy groceries. That’s where the argument should be.

Sure it's a luxury, and it's unhealthy, too. But a lot of people still enjoy it and regard it as something they shouldn't have to pay $30-40 for a family dinner.

We're just pushing fast food restaurants to double and triple down on automation.

And conservative politicians are just angels who never would do anything based on donations…

But Yep… looks bad.

And that’s why I’ve stood for strict campaign finance reform for about… forever.
I agree this does look bad.

This exemption needs to be removed.

Reactions: PoS
Apparently, Panera Bread owns every bakery in California.

ung.png

Libs are the epitome of corruption and hypocrisy. News at 11.
It'll be way cheaper for all fast food places in California to sell bread, rather than increase their wages.
It won't just be Panera Bread

It'll be way cheaper for all fast food places in California to sell bread, rather than increase their wages.
It won't just be Panera Bread
Then why make exceptions in the first place?

I agree this does look bad.

This exemption needs to be removed.

You should really be more careful about trusting the poster who started this thread. He always lied, and he lied here. There is no special Panera-bread-only "exemption".

You should really be more careful about trusting the poster who started this thread. He always lied, and he lied here. There is no special Panera-bread-only "exemption".

I dunno, that he lied isn't for sure. Could be he just got too excited at the chance to stick it to the Libs and didn't look beyond the feel-good headline.

@PoS , mabye you can clarify? Was this thread an example of self-ownage through being overly eager, or was it all just a blatant lie?

Then why make exceptions in the first place?
Usually a blanket rule doesn't work in all situations - humans aren't that ordered or predictable.

LOL you defend corruption and criminality, that much is obvious.

I dunno, that he lied isn't for sure. Could be he just got too excited at the chance to stick it to the Libs and didn't look beyond the feel-good headline.

@PoS , mabye you can clarify? Was this thread an example of self-ownage through being overly eager, or was it all just a blatant lie?
Another defender of corruption comes out of the woodwork. Keep being you.

@Mr Person ... huh... he didn't answer. Imagine that. Totally shocked over here. Maybe the answer was all of the above?

🤭

@PoS , why, when your thread has been proven to be nonsense, do you still come out swinging? It's OK to admit your fumbles, bud.

To recap: there was never an exemption. Either you are wrong on accident, or you're pushing an incorrect narrative on purpose.

Please clarify which it is. It is your thread, after all, and you are in a debate forum. Can you do this most basic aspect of what you're trying participate in, or are you telling us that debate forums are not for you?

Last edited:
@Mr Person ... huh... he didn't answer. Imagine that. Totally shocked over here. Maybe the answer was all of the above?

🤭

@PoS , why, when your thread has been proven to be nonsense, do you still come out swinging? It's OK to admit your fumbles, bud.

To recap: there was never an exemption. Either you are wrong on accident, or you're pushing an incorrect narrative on purpose.

Please clarify which it is. It is your thread, after all, and you are in a debate forum. Can you do this most basic aspect of what you're trying participate in, or are you telling us that debate forums are not for you?

Couldn't answer the question, huh.

I guess that's you being you.

And everyone sees it.

Sad.

Back
Top Bottom