• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Newsom exempts Panera Bread over new CA minimum wage law because CEO contributed to his election

Lmao. No. Panera receives delivery of dough which it bakes into bread and other baked goods on their premises and sells said goods on their premises. That’s all the statute requires.
How much does it take to get favoritism for you business from Newsome, for Newsome to pull strings and influence CA legislature?

Over the years, Flynn’s donations to Newsom’s political campaigns have included $100,000 to fight off a conservative-led recall effort and $64,800 to support the governor’s reelection in 2022. Flynn has been known to tout his relationship with Newsom, according to people familiar with the matter, with one saying the fast-food entrepreneur has said he can reach the governor via text.​

Around $160K apparently. The 'Greasy Gavin' moniker certainly appears to apply.

Some are posting that Panera isn't exempt. I suspect that there's going to be a legal challenge about that, and that a court is going to have to settle the question whether Panera is exempt or not.

Libs are the epitome of corruption and hypocrisy. News at 11.
Heard about that the other day.
Does that guy drip sleaze or what?
He said it was simply the result of the normal negotiation process that takes place when a bill is written.

It appears some here believe Panera has to be specifically named in legislation in order to be exempted.

It appears some here believe Panera has to be specifically named in legislation in order to be exempted.
That's simply exceedingly foolish. Companies are never named in the legislature give aways (corruption, payoffs from the public treasury).
What legislators do is so tightly define the conditions in the bill to only apply to their intended benefactor.
This already a legislative well worn path in the public record.

That's simply exceedingly foolish. Companies are never named in the legislature give aways (corruption, payoffs from the public treasury).
What legislators do is so tightly define the conditions in the bill to only apply to their intended benefactor.
This already a legislative well worn path in the public record.

From some of the comments I've seen I suspect not everyone knows that or wants to know that.
Maybe they're married to Lobbyists and figure denial is the best defense.

The gymnastics people are going through to say that Panera is not a bakery and is not exempt is hilarious. It's ok. Sometimes Democrats, even Gavin, get it wrong.

Makes me question the idea of Newsom as a serious presidential candidate.
If it's one small favor and a one-off it's still bad because it affects a lot of employees, but is anything like this ever a one-off?
I don't think so.
On the other hand, Panera now paints itself into a corner because the exception states that Panera is a bakery, not a fast food joint, and is somehow a "special" case.
Well, if that's how it works then Panera can't just start expanding into further consolidation of its business models as a bandaid to make all its employees fit this category.

In any case this carve-out makes Newsom look like he's damaged goods.
Reread the thread, Panera is not non exempt. The OP lied.

Lol ok whatever guy.

The only people who ever talk about Jewish space lasers are democrats. That’s a great example of how democrats make up lies then promote them
Look, this is between Marjorie and yourself. Why don’t the two of you get together and sort out your space laser conspiracy theories. Leave the rest of us out of it.

Why, because Gavin now claims they're not?

Most likely as they probably don't fall under the definition of a bakery. They likely sell to much prepares meals to count as a bakery.

Of course I never though Panera was considered to be fast food, never bought anything from there

"Panera Is Not Exempted From California’s Fast Food Minimum Wage Law After All"

Seems the editorials and early reports may have reported misinformation.

what does that make far right people who go my alternative facts?

Try explaining this to Boots. She's quite the confused lady on this issue.

Boots is free to read the law. I can provide links to the information. I cannot make a person understand what is written. :whistle:

Fast food restaurant” shall not include an establishment that on September 15, 2023, operates a bakery that produces for sale on the establishment’s premises bread, as defined under Part 136 of Subchapter B of Chapter I of Title 21 of the Code of Federal Regulations, so long as it continues to operate such a bakery. This exemption applies only where the establishment produces for sale bread as a stand-alone menu item, and does not apply if the bread is available for sale solely as part of another menu item.
On September 15, 2023, did Panera, in the state of California, operate a bakery? Check
Did that bakery "produce for sale on the establishment's premises, bread? Check
"Produce" - make or manufacture from components or raw material - Check
Is the bread a stand alone item? Check

In fact, the full name is "Panera Bread company". Much is now being made of the fact that the dough, made by "Fresh Dough Facility" is mixed off site, then delivered each day to be baked at the Panera site. The "Fresh Dough Facility" is owned by Panera.

I know some want to think their idols never make a mistake, or wouldn't possibly pass a law to please their constituents and their supporters. But it appears to me that perhaps Gavin did them a solid here and the poor Panera workers may not demand the $20 per hour for putting the bowls together and the soups in the containers.

I looked, i didn't find anything that said they were exempt.

We shouldn't be giving Newsome a pass here. I wish he was running for president, and this wouldn't change my opinion on that, but we have to start holding the politicians we like accountable when they do something that isn't acceptable.

This Panera carve out seems unacceptable to me based on the information i can find about it.
He can ruin America like he destroyed Kalifornia

Fast food restaurant” shall not include an establishment that on September 15, 2023, operates a bakery that produces for sale on the establishment’s premises bread, as defined under Part 136 of Subchapter B of Chapter I of Title 21 of the Code of Federal Regulations, so long as it continues to operate such a bakery. This exemption applies only where the establishment produces for sale bread as a stand-alone menu item, and does not apply if the bread is available for sale solely as part of another menu item.
On September 15, 2023, did Panera, in the state of California, operate a bakery? Check
Did that bakery "produce for sale on the establishment's premises, bread? Check
"Produce" - make or manufacture from components or raw material - Check
Is the bread a stand alone item? Check

In fact, the full name is "Panera Bread company". Much is now being made of the fact that the dough, made by "Fresh Dough Facility" is mixed off site, then delivered each day to be baked at the Panera site. The "Fresh Dough Facility" is owned by Panera.

I know some want to think their idols never make a mistake, or wouldn't possibly pass a law to please their constituents and their supporters. But it appears to me that perhaps Gavin did them a solid here and the poor Panera workers may not demand the $20 per hour for putting the bowls together and the soups in the containers.
question.
Does the Governor write the law or is it members of the State Legislator?
Does not both houses of the State Legislator have to pass the Bill before it goes to the Governor for signature?

Did you read the linked article in my other post (65)?

As far as the Bill, seems it passed with a majority voting for

This lib says this is just not how politicians should act.

Reactions: PoS

NewScum

Reactions: PoS
Back
Top Bottom