• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Newsom exempts Panera Bread over new CA minimum wage law because CEO contributed to his election

PoS

Minister of Love
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Even before Gov. Gavin Newsom signed the landmark law in September that would increase the minimum wage for fast-food workers to $20 per hour starting in April, there were some eyebrows raised over the so-called Panera exemption.
Now, Bloomberg reports that Newsom pushed behind the scenes for the exemption, which will benefit billionaire Greg Flynn, a campaign donor and business associate who owns two dozen Panera Bread locations in the state.
Flynn, who also attended the same high school as Newsom, contributed $160,000 combined to the governor’s 2021 anti-recall campaign and his 2022 reelection. That’s a lot of dough.

Libs are the epitome of corruption and hypocrisy. News at 11.

Last edited:
Man, you find the weirdest things to get upset about.

All bakeries are exempted, not simply Panera Bread.

Is subway or Jimmy johns exempt? Panera sells more non bakery things that either of those restaurants.

Panera isn't a bakery. Let's not defend Newsome here.

Is subway or Jimmy johns exempt? Panera sells more non bakery things that either of those restaurants.

Panera isn't a bakery. Let's not defend Newsome here.
I haven’t set foot inside a Panera in probably a decade.

Look up if the others are exempt, can’t say I particularly care.

If everyone is paying $20, no one will work at one of two stores for less than that.

I haven’t set foot inside a Panera in probably a decade.

Look up if the others are exempt, can’t say I particularly care.

If everyone is paying $20, no one will work at one of two stores for less than that.

I looked, i didn't find anything that said they were exempt.

We shouldn't be giving Newsome a pass here. I wish he was running for president, and this wouldn't change my opinion on that, but we have to start holding the politicians we like accountable when they do something that isn't acceptable.

This Panera carve out seems unacceptable to me based on the information i can find about it.

Reactions: PoS
Which seems to be why they aren’t exempted.

Bakeries are exempt.

The OP is a lie.

Is it though?

By the text of the statute, Panera would be exempt.

I know what he is saying about it now, but it does seem to me that Panera would have been exempt if they were going by the text of the law.

Fast food restaurant” shall not include an establishment that on September 15, 2023, operates a bakery that produces for sale on the establishment’s premises bread, as defined under Part 136 of Subchapter B of Chapter I of Title 21 of the Code of Federal Regulations, so long as it continues to operate such a bakery. This exemption applies only where the establishment produces for sale bread as a stand-alone menu item, and does not apply if the bread is available for sale solely as part of another menu item.

Hey now, we all know that the least corrupt politicans are in Louisiana!
:)

Realistically though, when it comes to the US, is had to be Bernie or something. What a champ. Even conservatives praise how consistent and genuine he is.

Libs are the epitome of corruption and hypocrisy. News at 11.
So essentially he wants Panera bread to be able to have any employees with friends like that who needs enemies.

What a profound dumbass.

You mean besides the “Panera carve out” not being true?

Thirty seconds of google search shows that.
To be fair, as far as I can tell, this is a relatively recent revelation. Apparently until recently it looked like they were exempt but now Newsom is saying otherwise.
The governor's office is now arguing Panera Bread is not exempt from the law.
Since last year, Panera Bread has been reported as a restaurant exempt from the law and Newsom's office has not said otherwise, even when the governor was directly asked why the chain was exempt.
Stack said to be exempt from the minimum wage law as a bakery, restaurants must produce bread for sale on site. The Governor's Office said many chain bakeries, such as Panera Bread, mix dough at a centralized off-site location and then ship that dough to the restaurant for baking and sale.

It is a strange exception, but you are correct that it does not seem to apply to Panera apparently.

To be fair, as far as I can tell, this is a relatively recent revelation. Apparently until recently it looked like they were exempt but now Newsom is saying otherwise.

It is a strange exception, but you are correct that it does not seem to apply to Panera apparently.
Well it would be a smart move not to exempt them. If they wanted employees they'd have to pay the same as everyone else. No it works for less if they could have more.

The one time I visited Panera bread place was the last time. Christ, their prices were ridiculous.
Loaf of bread was 8.79 Coffee was 6.75 (regular coffee) Wife had a cinnamon roll that was 7.79 (small one)
Never again.

The last time I went they charged a couple bucks extra for cream cheese for my bagel. Now they do have amazing bagels but what kind of heathens charge to add cream cheese to a bagel. Same here, never again.

This feels like a bad thing for Panera though, in the long-run means all their lowest paid employees are legally guaranteed a raise if they go literally anywhere else.

And conservative politicians are just angels who never would do anything based on donations…

But Yep… looks bad.

And that’s why I’ve stood for strict campaign finance reform for about… forever.

Makes me question the idea of Newsom as a serious presidential candidate.
If it's one small favor and a one-off it's still bad because it affects a lot of employees, but is anything like this ever a one-off?
I don't think so.
On the other hand, Panera now paints itself into a corner because the exception states that Panera is a bakery, not a fast food joint, and is somehow a "special" case.
Well, if that's how it works then Panera can't just start expanding into further consolidation of its business models as a bandaid to make all its employees fit this category.

In any case this carve-out makes Newsom look like he's damaged goods.

Back
Top Bottom