• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New Zealand Bans Assault Weapons

And if you have a mass shooting problem, you ban some guns.

that's incredibly stupid because the people most likely disarmed are the ones who would be defending against an attack

DO you realize how stupid your response is?

When Democrats tell you they are not for open borders and gun bans, they are shamelessly lying.
Politicians lie like they do just for re-election. I've heard dems. say they have CCLs just to sound all pro gun and brag about their hunting rifles and man I am all for the Second Amendment...BUT

It's amusing noting you haven't a clue what an assault rifle is and that the term "assault weapon" is a nebulous and bogus term that -in some states-includes 3000 dollar olympic target pistols that have never ever been used in a crime of violence.

Calling stuff assault weapons based on how they look is akin to putting STP stickers and a spoiler on a Mustang and claiming it is a Formula one or NASCAR racer

that's incredibly stupid because the people most likely disarmed are the ones who would be defending against an attack

DO you realize how stupid your response is?

Oh that's a bunch of baloney.

In a 2014 study that analyzed data covering the years 1982 to 2011, he found "both state and federal assault weapon bans have statistically significant and negative effects on mass shooting fatalities."

It's amusing noting you haven't a clue what an assault rifle is and that the term "assault weapon" is a nebulous and bogus term that -in some states-includes 3000 dollar olympic target pistols that have never ever been used in a crime of violence.

Calling stuff assault weapons based on how they look is akin to putting STP stickers and a spoiler on a Mustang and claiming it is a Formula one or NASCAR racer

Yeah, we know you guys like to obsess about labels in order to deflect away from bad arguments.

Yeah, we know you guys like to obsess about labels in order to deflect away from bad arguments.

No, I like to school ignorant anti gunners to show they haven't a clue what they are talking about-and that their anti gun arguments are based on politics and not an intelligent understanding of crime control or firearms laws and usage.

from that article

So if our goal as a society is to reduce the overall murder rate, an assault weapons ban would be highly ineffective. But if we want increased protection from people who aim to create mass casualties in schools—or concert venues like the one in Las Vegas—it could be of enormous help.

anyone see how stupid that is?

But, it supports my argument that stopping crazy guys is a goal of banning assault weapons, rather than your cynical take of gun owner harassment.

No, I like to school ignorant anti gunners to show they haven't a clue what they are talking about-and that their anti gun arguments are based on politics and not an intelligent understanding of crime control or firearms laws and usage.

Well, you've done a very poor job of your objective in this thread :lamo

Oh that's a bunch of baloney.

His findings are based on correlation that is better explained by dropping crime rates. There is no significant evidence that the clinton gun ban did anything useful. and crime didn't jump up when it sunset

and he admits that these bans wouldn't do anything to decrease the overall homicide rate

I would simply prefer to look for solutions that would actually be effective in lowering the rate of mass shootings but simultaneously not eliminate citizens' right to self-defense. First, I think that law enforcement agencies should actually enforce the laws that we have on the books. Second, I think the most effective means of curbing mass shootings is permanently preventing those people convicted of crimes of domestic violence, or who have Domestic Violence Restraining Orders placed against them, be stripped of their right to purchase and possess firearms. When someone has a restraining order placed against them, then a Sheriff must come and confiscate their guns, and if the restraining order is made permanent, the weapons are held by the state until such time as the restraining order elapses OR they can be auctioned off.

But, it supports my argument that stopping crazy guys is a goal of banning assault weapons, rather than your cynical take of gun owner harassment.

who obeys bans on stuff you call assault weapons? it is already illegal for criminals or crazy people to possess any firearms.

Do you believe it is proper to punish 20 million lawful gun owners in order to stop a few unambitious wannabe mass murderers?

Punish all the good guys for the actions of one bad guy.
They still haven't figured out that bad guys don't obey gun laws.

Could they be any dumber?

Yeah, Thoughts and prayers has really been working in the US....

I would simply prefer to look for solutions that would actually be effective in lowering the rate of mass shootings but simultaneously not eliminate citizens' right to self-defense. First, I think that law enforcement agencies should actually enforce the laws that we have on the books. Second, I think the most effective means of curbing mass shootings is permanently preventing those people convicted of crimes of domestic violence, or who have Domestic Violence Restraining Orders placed against them, be stripped of their right to purchase and possess firearms. When someone has a restraining order placed against them, then a Sheriff must come and confiscate their guns, and if the restraining order is made permanent, the weapons are held by the state until such time as the restraining order elapses OR they can be auctioned off.

I have issues with misdemeanors being sufficient to deprive someone of their constitutional rights.

Just as banning drugs have stopped more people dying of heroin overdoses in the last month than killed with legally owned assault weapons in the last 50 years.

I'm thinking NZ should just legalize and proliferate fully auto Tommy Guns in order to remain safe.

Not totally dissimilar to Australia and the US over the last 20 some years:

Australia had a gun buyback AKA confiscation, like NZ is doing now.

In the US gun ownership doubled, like your tommy gun suggestion.

During the same times both countries had a reduction in violent crime and murder, but the US had much steeper drop. So maybe "Tommy Guns" are the answer.

Did I say anything about thoughts and prayers?
Take your straw to a barnyard.

who obeys bans on stuff you call assault weapons? it is already illegal for criminals or crazy people to possess any firearms.

Do you believe it is proper to punish 20 million lawful gun owners in order to stop a few unambitious wannabe mass murderers?

Yes, I support it. I applaud NZ for doing what America doesn't have the courage to do.

Assault weapons ban: 70% of US wants stricter assault weapon laws - Business Insider

and 70% of Americans want "stricter" gun laws too.

Just as banning drugs have stopped more people dying of heroin overdoses in the last month than killed with legally owned assault weapons in the last 50 years.

How many of those heroin OD's were homicide?

I simply do not see how stripping citizens' rights to effective means of self-defense is a responsible solution.

There are plenty of other options for self defense. Guns are just one option and often not the most practical option for that purpose.

I simply do not see how stripping citizens' rights to effective means of self-defense is a responsible solution.

It is if:

1) you are a fan of a collectivist state

2) you want people to cede their rights to the government in the face of being helpless to defend against a criminal attack

3) or-in the case of jet-you live in a state where the democrats don't trust you to own certain weapons and you don't want citizens in other states to own them either

Back
Top Bottom