• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New Zealand Bans Assault Weapons

They won't have any mass shootings of such scale anymore, so yeah: good for them.

Did that require using windex on your crystal ball or a phonecall to Madame Cleo?

Nope. They took a military weapon, changed a major feature to make it suitable for civilian use. Being semi-automatic only as opposed to select fire is not s trivial difference and makes it a different weapon.

Only in your mind.

Only in your mind.

No, in reality. And according to the BATFE, who regulates the M16 as a machine gun, but not the AR15. You don’t recognize any difference between fully automatic and semi-automatic?

The AR15 is functionally different, and therefore not the same as any military version.

But please, explain what about an AR 15 makes it more dangerous than a semi-automatic rifle not originally designed for military?

I was born on a Navy base. Does that make me a sailor?

Performing in the theater of the absurd does not help your shaky cause.

No, in reality. And according to the BATFE, who regulates the M16 as a machine gun, but not the AR15. You don’t recognize any difference between fully automatic and semi-automatic?

The AR15 is functionally different, and therefore not the same as any military version.

But please, explain what about an AR 15 makes it more dangerous than a semi-automatic rifle not originally designed for military?

It is not difficult if one has access to the tools to make a semi automatic function as a fully automatic.

You mention murders. By that I take it you're talking about murders in general whether they're done with handguns, knives, vehicles, explosives, ect. and that 1600 of them are done with knives. How many of those murders are done with handguns?

About 7000. Point is, we should be concerend with all violent crime, not one specific form, or tool used.

Why in earth would New Zealander want to talk to you? Listening to your ranting would hardly be a pleasant experience for them.

I dont know. Youre the one who brought them up. Maybe you would be more comfortable somewhere else without people offering their opinions on things, like not a DEBATE forum.

About 7000. Point is, we should be concerend with all violent crime, not one specific form, or tool used.

I agree in being concerned with all violent crime and not the tool used. However, of the 7000 deaths due to being shot with handguns the vast vast majority of those are gang related where gang members shoot and kill other gang members.

I agree in being concerned with all violent crime and not the tool used. However, of the 7000 deaths due to being shot with handguns the vast vast majority of those are gang related where gang members shoot and kill other gang members.

Which we should be more concerned about, not mass shootings.

It is not difficult if one has access to the tools to make a semi automatic function as a fully automatic.

Which is already illegal if the proper forms, approvals and fees are not followed and paid.

Which is already illegal if the proper forms, approvals and fees are not followed and paid.

Statutory max-120 months in federal prison for possession of an unregistered automatic weapon.

Which we should be more concerned about, not mass shootings.

If you don't want to get shot by a gang member there's a simple solution, don't be involved with gangs.

If you don't want to get shot by a gang member there's a simple solution, don't be involved with gangs.

Well some people-especially younger folks-cannot help that but for the most party you are correct. 80% or more of all murder victims are those engaged in illegal behavior and associating with known felons.

Any weapon that can be converted to full auto with normal tools is regulated as a machine gun and any parts that could be used to convert are also regulated as machine guns.

So could a trained gunsmith turn any semi-auto into full auto? Probably. No legit one would. I’m not aware of that happening, or of any converted weapon used in a crime in the last few decades.

So again, explain how, an AR-15 is more dangerous than a semi-auto not designed for military use?

Any weapon that can be converted to full auto with normal tools is regulated as a machine gun and any parts that could be used to convert are also regulated as machine guns.

So could a trained gunsmith turn any semi-auto into full auto? Probably. No legit one would. I’m not aware of that happening, or of any converted weapon used in a crime in the last few decades.

So again, explain how, an AR-15 is more dangerous than a semi-auto not designed for military use?

And while people like yourself stick their head in the sand the rest of the world laughs at us.

My late father-a national champion shooter, who knew his way around a machine shop since he started working in one as a teen, was able to reproduce sten guns in the machine shop on the ship he was stationed on briefly in WWII. Young men, with anvils, files and a Dremel style tool, routinely make functioning automatic weapons in Pakistan.

And while people like yourself stick their head in the sand the rest of the world laughs at us.
How many times have I asked you what specifically makes a AR-15 more dangerous than any other semi-automatic weapon?
You keep refusing to answer. Why is that?

How many times have I asked you what specifically makes a AR-15 more dangerous than any other semi-automatic weapon?
You keep refusing to answer. Why is that?

I have never said it was more dangerous or less dangerous. That is not my position. My position is based on what the majority wants or does not want in society.

I have never said it was more dangerous or less dangerous.
Then there was no point to you claiming it was a weapon of war.

That is not my position. My position is based on what the majority wants or does not want in society.

Which is why we have protected rights. The majority is not always correct and majority decisions are not always just. I hope I don’t have to list any such instances of majority oppression.

Well, the strict controls on automatics are, according to you, working GREAT to reduce murder.

So let’s start with those?

Unless, of course, you’re a big fan of murder.

Nope..didn't.

Murder still happens.. though of course while sales of guns went up.. violent crime went down in the last couple of decades.

but.. the truth is.. strict control on automatic weapons didn;t really do a thing.

Gang violence results in many innocent deaths. Do we not care about the bystanders shot? The business owners robbed? The youth being forced into gangs? Jails full of young people? This is a far bigger issue than mass shootings.

Back
Top Bottom