• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Man who called police on black woman at North Carolina pool no longer has job

That's not what I asked. I asked if you would be okay with it.

Nope, I would have liked to be one of the ones attending them. I rather support equal rights and oppose racists or bigots

I'm confused. Here are the facts cited in the article:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/man-who-called-police-black-woman-north-carolina-pool-no-n889371

First off, this appears to be a private pool for authorized community residents, not a public pool.

Second, this gentleman, who is in charge of the pool (presumed from his title "chairman of the pool committee") sees a woman he does not recognize and asks her for some identification showing she is a resident with a pool pass.

She refuses and makes a scene over it. He calls the police.

She THEN produces the identification, which she could have when first asked and everything would have been fine...except her refusal and allegation it was "racist" results in the man being fired from his job for doing something entirely unrelated to the company and job?

And people are fine with this? Where is the evidence of racism? How do we know he hasn't asked other strangers the very same question? Why couldn't she have just showed him her pool card as requested?

because common sense seems to be a hard thing for some to use these days.

Or perhaps the guy should have accepted that she had a pass, and that she was a resident. Instead of taking it so far. I would expect the community has a computer data base of all members in which he could have checked her name against. But no, this guy decides to call the police

What would you do if you asked someone to leave and they refused?

Nope, I would have liked to be one of the ones attending them. I rather support equal rights and oppose racists or bigots

Again, you're making my point. Your business angle is irrelevant. This is purely about you being fine with someone being punished for what you think deserves it.

Well, according to the article:

1. Key cards can be lost, loaned (many communities don't allow this for unaccompanied guests), or stolen.

2. She allegedly gave an incorrect address the first time, and a completely different address (which was the true one) the second time.

It is also clear, from the dispatcher recording, that Mr. Bloom simply wanted proper ID, nothing more.

Seems a reasonable person might think more identification was needed. IMO anyway. :shrug:

Perhaps she was trolling an obvious bigot, or perhaps they misunderstood which address she gave them

These days, one conservative principle is that employers should be able to fire anyone they want. No reason needed. Didn't use to be that way, but that's what the right advocates for now.

So this employer is just exercising the rights which today's GOP wants all states to adopt for their business owners.

I think that they're slowly starting to get it now that every big company is socially completely against them.

Again, you're making my point. Your business angle is irrelevant. This is purely about you being fine with someone being punished for what you think deserves it.

Again you ignore the fact that i was fine with the person getting fired for giving Trump the finger in his motorcade, or the dozens of people fired for taking part in a riot in Vancouver or those that got fired for throwing things at a Blue Jays game, or those getting fired for insulting their boss on facebook

Again you ignore the fact that i was fine with the person getting fired for giving Trump the finger in his motorcade, or the dozens of people fired for taking part in a riot in Vancouver or those that got fired for throwing things at a Blue Jays game, or those getting fired for insulting their boss on facebook

Because you don't like those actions.

At will employment.

Or do stupid crap that makes your company look bad don't be surprised to lose your job. Social media is the bane of stupid people

Well, if he wasn't racist before, he damn sure is now. Good job!

What would you do if you asked someone to leave and they refused?

Depends on why I was asking them to leave.

And if I was being asked to leave how I would react is dependant on why I was asked to leave

Depends on why I was asking them to leave.

And if I was being asked to leave how I would react is dependant on why I was asked to leave
Haha, you know you would have called the police in his position. She's causing a scene and refusing to leave. You wouldn't have hesitated.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

No because of the rights of the business not to be harmed morons
So you're fine with civil rights activists being fired for harming their business.

Haha, you know you would have called the police in his position. She's causing a scene and refusing to leave. You wouldn't have hesitated.

No I would not. I would have seen that she had a pool pass and left it at that. No police and no drama

So you're fine with civil rights activists being fired for harming their business.

Certainly. If enough people take part the company/ies might have no one work for them. Making the protest even more effective

No I would not. I would have seen that she had a pool pass and left it at that. No police and no drama
That's not enough since those cards are easily passed to anyone.

Certainly. If enough people take part the company/ies might have no one work for them. Making the protest even more effective
Pardon me if I doubt your sincerity.

That's not enough since those cards are easily passed to anyone.

Then make it a policy all people have to present ID not just one that look like they don't belong

I don't see anything in that article that sounds like a "terrible incident". From the article, it appears that there was some confusion over the address the woman gave which then lead to additional questions and, ultimately, the inevitable charge of racism.

Same here, what was said that was offensive, sounds like something was missing from the article.

THAT was racist as hell and he deserved to lose his job.

In one of the earlier articles about this situation, it was indicated that he had asked white people for ID in the past. Seems it would have been more racist had he not asked her just because she was black. I can only guess the white people he asked simply showed the info.

How about the one where the black man was swimming with his stinky socks on. The property manager asked him to remove his socks. Of course that became racist and she lost her job too.

Another board member asked her where she lived... and she gave an address on a street with no houses. Then she gave a different address.

Our HOA runs into a similar issue with its tennis courts. People copy the keys and give them to friends, tenants pass them along, and people move and continue to use the courts. It's common for security to ask people for their address when there's a question raised.

Another board member first asked Abhulimen her address because she didn't recognize her. Abhulimen, however, gave an address on a street where homes weren't yet built, confusing the board member, Vermitsky said.

The member then asked Bloom to verify Abhulimen' address, and when she gave what appeared to be a different one, Bloom said he thought "there's something a little askew" and asked for her ID. (It was later determined that Abhulimen does reside at that address.)

The questioning eventually led Abhulimen to call what was happening racial profiling, and Bloom decided to dial police to allow a "neutral third party" to resolve the situation.

In one of the earlier articles about this situation, it was indicated that he had asked white people for ID in the past. Seems it would have been more racist had he not asked her just because she was black. I can only guess the white people he asked simply showed the info.

How about the one where the black man was swimming with his stinky socks on. The property manager asked him to remove his socks. Of course that became racist and she lost her job too.

Providing the quote that he has asked others of " all ages and races" to leave when found to not be eligible for the pool:

“When violations of these regulations occur, it is Mr. Bloom’s job to either address and correct the violation or remove the member from the pool. Over the past seven years Mr. Bloom has had to ask for IDs of pool patrons and removed those who did not have valid memberships an average of four times every season, in an effort to enforce the pool’s adopted regulations. The people removed have included people of all ages and races.

It's kind of at a point where you are only allowed to call the police or ask only non-black people to follow rules.

My A-hole neighbor called the cops on a door to door solicitor just last week because he thought he may be casing the area. Sadly the kid (who I talked to for a bit and was really nice, BTW) was only Asian. I really wished the kid had been black, so I could have recorded the situation and gotten the mob after my neighbor. Well.. Maybe next time i'll get lucky and it can be a black kid so I can ensure my neighbor gets some death threats and has to move out for a while.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/man-who-called-police-black-woman-north-carolina-pool-no-n889371

The man's employer, packing company Sonoco, said in a tweet Friday that it was made "aware of a terrible incident" at a private community pool.

A white man who called North Carolina police on a black woman who was using a private community pool with her child no longer has a job because of the "terrible incident," his company said Friday.

Global packaging firm Sonoco Products said in a statement that although the Fourth of July incident involving Adam Bloom occurred outside of work, the company does "not condone discrimination of any kind."
===============================================
It was not clear if he was fired or resigned. But on the bright side, he can now spend a lot more time at that pool.

That he lost his pool supervisor job is understandable, but his regular job? He may be a racially insensitive fool but I am not sure about him being fired for something that should usually not interfere with his professional career. Companies should not fire people with a permanent contract and a good employee history just like that for something that has nothing to do with his job.

Then make it a policy all people have to present ID not just one that look like they don't belong
Perhaps the guy recognized everyone else?

Perhaps the guy recognized everyone else?

Yes I am sure he recognizes everyone in the community by sight. That is it, not that she was potentially visibly different than other people in the pool

Back
Top Bottom