• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Man who called police on black woman at North Carolina pool no longer has job

Yep, there was - the moron then called the police.

I'm sure that she was completely polite during the entire exchange, didn't cause a scene, and was a perfect woman throughout the ordeal. That's how it always goes, right?

That information wasn't in the article. However, since he was the "pool chairman" the development seemed to feel that they had a need for someone to handle that kind of thing. It also appears that at least one other person at the pool was involved and didn't know her.

Look, from time to time I get someone asking me to see my ID when I use a credit card. It doesn't generally occur to me that they think I'm a criminal so they better ask. I tend to think that they are doing their job and, ultimately, protecting my access to my funds. I suppose I could get pissed off and ask them why they need to know but that doesn't get my purchase completed in an expeditious manner. The woman at the pool could have taken things that way but, apparently, she chose to take things differently thus causing an unnecessary fuss.

She showed them her access card, told them she lived in the community, gave them her address. I am sure there were other people that were not recognized by the guy yet from what it looks like only she was targeted for extra screening. I am sure you can figure out an excuse for it other than the most obvious one

Last edited:
I don’t need “big business” to be on my side. I just need them to want my business and to act like it.

Why do you give them special breaks and privileges for agitating against every conservative principle?

I'm sure that she was completely polite during the entire exchange, didn't cause a scene, and was a perfect woman throughout the ordeal. That's how it always goes, right?

Ohhhhhh.... so you're implying that she was actually more likely uppity than polite.

You're not fooling anyone but yourself.

Ohhhhhh.... so you're implying that she was actually more likely uppity than polite.

That literally never is the case, right?

You're not fooling anyone but yourself.

I'm the only one not pretending like we don't know exactly what extenuating circumstances there were.

Should white anti-apartheid activists have been fired from their jobs in South Africa because those employees cost the company money?

I am sure they were. I expect they were probably arrested plenty of times as well.

Now as for morality of it all

Anti Apartheid activists were doing the exact opposite of this moron (from appearances) so I would fight to help the AAA groups but not this idiot

That literally never is the case, right?

I'm the only one not pretending like we don't know exactly what extenuating circumstances there were.

LOL! IOW, using my Racism to English translating device, "She's black so she couldn't POSSIBLY have been polite".

Look, the whole world gets it: you're frightened of and hate black people. Why try and bumble your way through a charade that you don't?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/man-who-called-police-black-woman-north-carolina-pool-no-n889371

The man's employer, packing company Sonoco, said in a tweet Friday that it was made "aware of a terrible incident" at a private community pool.

A white man who called North Carolina police on a black woman who was using a private community pool with her child no longer has a job because of the "terrible incident," his company said Friday.

Global packaging firm Sonoco Products said in a statement that although the Fourth of July incident involving Adam Bloom occurred outside of work, the company does "not condone discrimination of any kind."
===============================================
It was not clear if he was fired or resigned. But on the bright side, he can now spend a lot more time at that pool.

I'm confused. Here are the facts cited in the article:

Also on Friday, police released audio of Bloom's call, in which he tells a dispatcher that "we have a non-resident that's at the pool that refuses to leave." When asked by the dispatcher who he is, Bloom identifies himself by name and says, "I'm chairman of the pool."

"We'd be happy to have her here if she would just show some identification," Bloom tells the dispatcher of Edwards.

In a statement, Winston-Salem Police Department said officers "maintained neutrality" when they arrived and spoke with Bloom and Edwards, and ultimately determined that Edwards "had a pool access card which did in fact provide her proper access to the swimming pool. Our officers determined that no crime had been committed during this incident."
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/man-who-called-police-black-woman-north-carolina-pool-no-n889371

First off, this appears to be a private pool for authorized community residents, not a public pool.

Second, this gentleman, who is in charge of the pool (presumed from his title "chairman of the pool committee") sees a woman he does not recognize and asks her for some identification showing she is a resident with a pool pass.

She refuses and makes a scene over it. He calls the police.

She THEN produces the identification, which she could have when first asked and everything would have been fine...except her refusal and allegation it was "racist" results in the man being fired from his job for doing something entirely unrelated to the company and job?

And people are fine with this? Where is the evidence of racism? How do we know he hasn't asked other strangers the very same question? Why couldn't she have just showed him her pool card as requested?

Last edited:

Perhaps not, yet she offered what she had available as ID and also offered her name and address. If he was a perfect gentleman, as I said earlier, he would have thanked her for the information, explained that was his (ridiculous?) job and told her to enjoy her swim.

She showed them her access card, told them she lived in the community, gave them her address. I am sure there were other people that were not recognized by the guy yet from what it looks like only she was targeted for extra screening. I am sure you can figure out an excuse for it other than the most obvious one

I'm just going off the information from the article linked to in the OP -

Bloom's attorney, John Vermitsky, said the video doesn't capture the entire incident. Another board member first asked Edwards her address because she didn't recognize her. Edwards, however, gave an address on a street where homes weren't yet built, confusing the board member, Vermitsky said.

The member then asked Bloom to verify Edwards' address, and when she gave what appeared to be a different one, Bloom said he thought "there's something a little askew" and asked for her ID. (It was later determined that Edwards does reside at that address.)

The questioning eventually led Edwards to call what was happening racial profiling, and Bloom decided to dial police to allow a "neutral third party" to resolve the situation.

I am sure they were. I expect they were probably arrested plenty of times as well.

Now as for morality of it all

Anti Apartheid activists were doing the exact opposite of this moron (from appearances) so I would fight to help the AAA groups but not this idiot

And here's the truth. This has nothing to do with the right of the business. You just like seeing people be punished because you don't like what he did.

First off, this appears to be a private pool for authorized community residents, not a public pool.

Second, this gentleman, who is in charge of the pool (presumed from his title "chairman of the pool committee") sees a woman he does not recognize and asks her for some identification showing she is a resident with a pool pass.

She THEN produces the identification, which she could have when first asked, and everything is fine...except her allegation it was "racist" results in the man being fired from his job for doing something entirely unrelated to his job?

And people are fine with this? Where is the evidence of racism? How do we know he hasn't asked other strangers the very same question? Why couldn't she have just showed him her pool card as requested?

The pool pass and address are not enough? How many other people with pool passes are questioned that heavily, and have the police called. Why did he take it to extremes. And she did show him the pool card, she could not have gotten in without it

She THEN produces the identification, which she could have when first asked and everything would have been fine...except her refusal and allegation it was "racist" results in the man being fired from his job for doing something entirely unrelated to the company and job?

Exactly. This is the part that everyone wants to pretend didn't happen.

It's a brave new world, bro. If you so much as get accused of various things your career could well be in jeopardy. Still shots from a video, videos that don't tell the whole story and heavily biased "news" articles based on little more than a Tweet or a Facebook post can all do you in.

Perhaps not, yet she offered what she had available as ID and also offered her name and address. If he was a perfect gentleman, as I said earlier, he would have thanked her for the information, explained that was his (ridiculous?) job and told her to enjoy her swim.

To be completely fair, I don't know if he was polite during the exchange. I do know from experience in these stories that the poor innocent victim usually makes a scene and is most responsible for the escalation.

And really, is this the "racism" that people face today? Talk about a first world problem!

And here's the truth. This has nothing to do with the right of the business. You just like seeing people be punished because you don't like what he did.

Not at all

If you went on your facebook page and insulted your boss, I have no issue with you being fired (generic you, not you specifically). The same goes for the woman fired for giving Trumps motorcade the finger shortly after he took office. She was fired, for it and if I recall correctly I was not against it (if i was it was just to troll)

Not at all

If you went on your facebook page and insulted your boss, I have no issue with you being fired (generic you, not you specifically). The same goes for the woman fired for giving Trumps motorcade the finger shortly after he took office. She was fired, for it and if I recall correctly I was not against it (if i was it was just to troll)

Would you have been fine with people being fired for attending a civil rights rally?

The pool pass and address are not enough? How many other people with pool passes are questioned that heavily, and have the police called. Why did he take it to extremes. And she did show him the pool card, she could not have gotten in without it

Well, according to the article:

Edwards told police that as a resident, she has a key card to enter the gated pool area, which she handed over to an officer to prove that it worked.

...Another board member first asked Edwards her address because she didn't recognize her. Edwards, however, gave an address on a street where homes weren't yet built, confusing the board member, Vermitsky said.
The member then asked Bloom to verify Edwards' address, and when she gave what appeared to be a different one, Bloom said he thought "there's something a little askew" and asked for her ID. (It was later determined that Edwards does reside at that address.)

1. Key cards can be lost, loaned (many communities don't allow this for unaccompanied guests), or stolen.

2. She allegedly gave an incorrect address the first time, and a completely different address (which was the true one) the second time.

It is also clear, from the dispatcher recording, that Mr. Bloom simply wanted proper ID, nothing more.

Seems a reasonable person might think more identification was needed. IMO anyway. :shrug:

Last edited:

1. Key cards can be loaned (many communities don't allow this) or stolen.

2. She allegedly gave an incorrect address the first time, and a completely different address (which was the true one) the second time.

Seems a reasonable person might think more identification was needed. IMO anyway. :shrug:

That's odd. What would that be about?

Would you have been fine with people being fired for attending a civil rights rally?

I expect plenty were, and many beaten, had dogs sent after them, arrested for it.

1. Key cards can be loaned (many communities don't allow this) or stolen.

It is also clear, from the dispatcher recording, that Mr. Bloom simply wanted proper ID, nothing more.

Or perhaps the guy should have accepted that she had a pass, and that she was a resident. Instead of taking it so far. I would expect the community has a computer data base of all members in which he could have checked her name against. But no, this guy decides to call the police

So he has to lose his livelihood for maybe doing something dumb? You're merciless.
Why do you give them special breaks and privileges for agitating against every conservative principle?

These days, one conservative principle is that employers should be able to fire anyone they want. No reason needed. Didn't use to be that way, but that's what the right advocates for now.

So this employer is just exercising the rights which today's GOP wants all states to adopt for their business owners.

Back
Top Bottom