• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Majority of republicans say colleges are bad for america (yes, really)

Not sure what your point is but most people know that. The budget has to be approved by Congress and the budget provides guidelines for spending appropriation bills. it is spending and revenue that causes the deficits and the deficits are added to the debt. The claim was made that CBO PROJECTED huge Trump deficits but the spending bills now being discussed do not add up to those deficits CBO projects as they aren't part of the Trump budget but rather the fiscal year 2016 budget and spending. Any deficit will be Trump's just like the 2009 deficit was Obama's since both Trump and Obama are spending most of the money in those fiscal years.
The budget is a dream document. Trump and congress do not have any obligation at all to follow it now. It's all on trump and congress now

Ah, yes.

This explains why the GOP has higher education funding as a big priority.

People need to get their story straight.

Is it that the GOP thinks colleges are bad for America, or is it they have funding it as a high priority?

What is the current alt-left instruction on this?

People need to get their story straight.

Is it that the GOP thinks colleges are bad for America, or is it they have funding it as a high priority?

What is the current alt-left instruction on this?

I'm pretty sure you got my point, even though you pretend not to.

I'm pretty sure you got my point, even though you pretend not to.

Well, I wouldn't have posted a request for clarification had your point carried any meaning to me.

So goes your assumption.

So which is it? Republicans think colleges are bad for America, or Republicans think college funding is a high priority?

College?

Liberals: How do we make America better for all?

GOP: How do we make America better for us?

Trumpers: Why is my VCR flashing "12:00?"

Yes, the multi trillion projected add on by Trump's budget is a fact promulgated by CBO. The 22 to 24 million is a fact promulgated by CBO.

So, we listen to you, or to CBO? Don't be silly.

Have now figured out how wrong you are as you pass opinions off as FACT. You see to be like most liberals incapable of admitting when you are wrong. Projections are opinions and actual data from the sites I gave you are FACT. Opinions in order to become fact have to have a specific action take place such as 22-24 MILLION insured to CHOOSE not to participate. That is choice which CBO can never predict with any accuracy

College?

Liberals: How do we make America better for all?

GOP: How do we make America better for us?

Trumpers: Why is my VCR flashing "12:00?"

That is hilarious. Good post

The budget is a dream document. Trump and congress do not have any obligation at all to follow it now. It's all on trump and congress now

They may not have any obligation but to spend outside of the guidelines passed and signed they have to submit a supplemental. What is up to Trump and Congress now is the same thing that was up to Obama and Congress in 2009, what to spend. The deficit in 2009 was Obama's just like any deficit today will be Trump's.

They may not have any obligation but to spend outside of the guidelines passed and signed they have to submit a supplemental. What is up to Trump and Congress now is the same thing that was up to Obama and Congress in 2009, what to spend. The deficit in 2009 was Obama's just like any deficit today will be Trump's.

Trump and congress can spend what they want on new authorizations just as Obama could

Deficits are calculated yearly. Spending is not uniform throughout the year

Yes they are as are surpluses but the point you want to ignore is the data to date. continuing as it is will generate a surplus and actually reduce the debt which it has done so far. Makes you question all those liberals claiming Trump's trips to Florida and NY on weekends along with our First Lady staying in NY was a drain on the budget. Those expenses are paid monthly and as of today the debt is 19.8 trillion dollars and it was 19.9 trillion when Obama left office on January 21, 2017. Where are those naysayers now? Just goes to show how the left wants the issue but refuse to retract their claims when proven wrong

Yes they are as are surpluses but the point you want to ignore is the data to date. continuing as it is will generate a surplus and actually reduce the debt which it has done so far. Makes you question all those liberals claiming Trump's trips to Florida and NY on weekends along with our First Lady staying in NY was a drain on the budget. Those expenses are paid monthly and as of today the debt is 19.8 trillion dollars and it was 19.9 trillion when Obama left office on January 21, 2017. Where are those naysayers now? Just goes to show how the left wants the issue but refuse to retract their claims when proven wrong
If you think we will have a surplus this year I find that hilarious. Zero chance

If you think we will have a surplus this year I find that hilarious. Zero chance

Never said there would be a surplus this year only that since Trump has been in office and spending there currently is one for his time in office and for calendar year 2017. The problem is fiscal year 2017 began in October 2016 and will end in September 2017. That isn't what the left has claimed as they point to CBO PROJECTIONS FOR THE TRUMP BUDGET which doesn't exist YET and would be projections for 2018

Never said there would be a surplus this year only that since Trump has been in office and spending there currently is one for his time in office and for calendar year 2017. The problem is fiscal year 2017 began in October 2016 and will end in September 2017. That isn't what the left has claimed as they point to CBO PROJECTIONS FOR THE TRUMP BUDGET which doesn't exist YET and would be projections for 2018

The deficit will increase not decrease

The deficit will increase not decrease

Yep, trading a POTUS in the party for a bigger federal government for a POTUS in the party for a huge federal government is not likely to reduce deficit spending - it may change some spending priorities but will not reduce overall federal spending. Add in a wish to tax less and sit back and watch the deficits (and national debt) grow.

Have now figured out how wrong you are as you pass opinions off as FACT. You see to be like most liberals incapable of admitting when you are wrong. Projections are opinions and actual data from the sites I gave you are FACT. Opinions in order to become fact have to have a specific action take place such as 22-24 MILLION insured to CHOOSE not to participate. That is choice which CBO can never predict with any accuracy
Do you understand that fact is this: no one is going to listen you, but everyone will listen to CBO.

And you are not counting on the project 10 trillion increase in the proposed budget.

How can I be more clear? Why aren't universities bastions of right wing thinking? How were they FORCED out? Was there a coup....and I missed it?

The title of the thread notes that there are those who think that Colleges are bad for America. Sadly, I was distracted by the title of the thread.

Speaking directly to your point, people who work for Universities make their livings from the payment of tax dollars.

People who hold conservative beliefs, and I am one, believe that reducing the tax burden on those who pay taxes is good.

If reducing the tax burden meant that I would not enjoy the same standard of living as I currently do, my belief would be that the tax burden should increase.

I would also believe that Student loans should be very easy to get, that the interest rates on those loans was not important and that any measure to allow more and more students to pump more and more dollars into the system was desirable.

All of this means that anyone who is in the university system almost by definition, but certainly by self interest, needs to be a liberal.

That may have something to do with it.

And you are not counting on the project 10 trillion increase in the proposed budget.

So the term PROJECTED confuses you? It doesn't become a fact unless it happens. The results I have given you have happened thus are facts, CBO makes PROJECTIONS. Until a Proposed budget becomes an actual budget there is no factual data to discuss

Do you understand that fact is this: no one is going to listen you, but everyone will listen to CBO.

That is indeed your problem, you believe projections trump facts, CBO scoring is a PROJECTION, not an actual occurrence. The only ones listening to you are the ones who failed go get a valid college degree and learn critical thinking or even basic understanding as to the difference between a projection and an actual result(fact)

That is indeed your problem, you believe projections trump facts, CBO scoring is a PROJECTION, not an actual occurrence. The only ones listening to you are the ones who failed go get a valid college degree and learn critical thinking or even basic understanding as to the difference between a projection and an actual result(fact)
The problem is yours, Conservative.

You are pretending that your Alt Facts and pretend news makes sense. It does not.

You are persuading no one of the correctness of your views.

The problem is yours, Conservative.

You are pretending that your Alt Facts and pretend news makes sense. It does not.

You are persuading no one of the correctness of your views.

Oh, my, incredible and very appropriate for the title of this thread. You college educated? Did that college ever teach you critical thinking? You actually believe a projection trumps actual data? You, my friend, are part of the problem. I realize that some people can be fooled all of the time and know that apparently I will never change your mind. My so called Alt facts come from the OFFICIAL govt. sites whereas your opinions come from projections, not facts. How do you know that 22-24 million Americans will be uninsured under the GOP Plan? It is known that we had actual GDP growth in 2016 of 1.6% and a U-6 of 9.4% when Obama left office. Those aren't alternate facts, those are real. CBO makes PREDICTIONS

yes do keep the herd stupid
Have you seen interviews done with college students?

Its not a question of whether or not education is good for America or whether College is a good thing. Of course it is a good thing. But is running up 100k in debt on a degree you cant use really a good thing? Is spending your college years engaging in forced indoctrination a good thing? Colleges should exist to prepare people for the workforce...not as institutions to create a bunch of mindless social justice warriors. College used to be an opportunity to learn to grow, maybe even become an adult. FFS...today e have graduate students at ****ing Harvard that are having met downs over Halloween costumes. We have people literally ****ing melting down because someone expressed a difference of opinion.

In many ways and many locations, college has become an unhealthy environment that causes more harm than does good. If you are one of those people working a minimum wage job because you cant find work in your degree field...then yes..college was a bad thing.

Public education has a long history of indoctrination throughout the world.

A mere blink of an eye compared to religious indoctrination... but then again seems to me 99% of the rabid right leadership has a diploma or two on the wall from some sort of public institution- the other 1% from some place like Liberty university or Trump U... :peace

Back
Top Bottom