• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Liberalism vs. Biblical Christianity [W:463]

Why would anyone want to deaden their body members? Masochism?

Well, I have friend who's a chef. He cut himself once and wound up having the nerve cut farther up so he could use his thumb without taking narcotics. So, it does happen.

But, yeah, not something I'd do. The sad thing is, I know someone who almost committed suicide because of this stuff. But, that's a bad sin and you can't repent from it. Talk about caught between a rock and a hard place.

Well, I have friend who's a chef. He cut himself once and wound up having the nerve cut farther up so he could use his thumb without taking narcotics. So, it does happen.

But, yeah, not something I'd do. The sad thing is, I know someone who almost committed suicide because of this stuff. But, that's a bad sin and you can't repent from it. Talk about caught between a rock and a hard place.

Religion has caused much misery over the centuries.

While I do agree with you, I think we should admit that sometimes, not always but sometimes, religious beliefs have caused some people to do good for others. Our problem today is that far too many are absolutists in their thought/belief patterns. Humans are complex, we should be willing to admit that none of us will do the 'right' thing all of the time, but that does not mean we should stop trying.

No one's plumbing does...

Sure it does...the Bible encourages celibacy over ANY form of immoral sexual acts...

“Deaden, therefore, your body members that are on the earth as respects sexual immorality, uncleanness, uncontrolled sexual passion, hurtful desire, and greediness, which is idolatry.”​ Col. 3:5

Your god is very confusing. He tells man to be fruitful and multiply and creates sexual desire as the path to that goal. Then he says only muliply under my strict moral code and ignore the very desire I put in you.

So what are you complaining about? Enjoy it while you can because it won't last forever...

unless you buy now available in all fine religions and sects that promise you hell or death unless you follow them

pray now gods are standing by

Regardless of why a person is born one way or the other, ALL actions are choices...we have thoughts, good and bad, that we can choose to act on or not...I have my own demons to fight, as others have theirs...

being with the same gender if that is what your into seems like a good choice

choosing to believe that evil so preserve your faith because it makes you feel good seems evil

The VIOLATION of Biblical Christian principles is what's caused a lot of that misery.

Godless atheism has buried untold millions in the dirt.

But if Adam had only exercised his headship...;)

but if only god did not randomly add forbidden cursed fruit and let talking snakes run around

and instead created a more manageable system for knowledge and death

its like who ever came up with this bit of genesis was desperately trying to explain why death and suffering exist

rather then this being the true story of a loving and all powerful god creating the human race

The VIOLATION of Biblical Christian principles is what's caused a lot of that misery.

Religious strife has done the same thing.

Were there two trees (Life, and the Knowledge of Good and Evil), or one? Were Adam and Eve mortal before they ate the fruit? How could they be punished for doing evil before they knew what evil was? What sort of language did they speak? How could Adam have named every animal in half a day (given, as one literal-minded commenter pointed out, ‘thither must the Elephant come from the furthest parts of India and Africk, who are of a heavy and slow pace’)? How come there was a woman for Cain to bump into when he pushed off for the Land of Nod? And what was the snake’s beef, anyway?

The story went, as Greenblatt puts it, through a ‘long, tangled history from archaic speculation to dogma, from dogma to literal truth, from literal to real, from real to mortal, from mortal to fraudulent’. In the end, ‘the naked man and woman in the garden with the strange trees and the talking snake have returned to the sphere of the imagination from which they originally emerged’; yet they retain ‘the life — the peculiar, intense, magical reality — of literature’.

But I’m getting ahead of myself. One of Greenblatt’s most fascinating chapters deals with the origins and sources for the creation myth in Genesis itself: essentially, it emerged from the ‘Babylonian woe’. Exiled in Babylon, the Hebrews were exposed to their hosts’ written creation myth, the Enuma Elish, and the urban cult of their chief god, Marduk.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/09...h-the-rise-and-fall-of-adam-and-eve-reviewed/

though according to your story god buried every one the dirt because it felt like it whats up with that?

but if only god did not randomly add forbidden cursed fruit and let talking snakes run around
It wasn't randomly done... it had to be done in order to give his creation of mankind free will.

and instead created a more manageable system for knowledge and death
Like what?

Then stop violating them.

Were there two trees (Life, and the Knowledge of Good and Evil), or one?
Those were separate trees.

Were Adam and Eve mortal before they ate the fruit?
I would say that they became mortal the very moment they ate of the fruit.

How could they be punished for doing evil before they knew what evil was?
They were told not to eat of that particular tree. They disobeyed God and did so, so they were punished for that. (Well, it was also an act of grace, because if they would have eaten of the tree of life afterwards, that would not have been good, because then man would live forever in a body that would age and suffer and etc.)

What sort of language did they speak?
I have no idea what language they spoke, nor have I felt it to be an important question that needed answering.

How could Adam have named every animal in half a day (given, as one literal-minded commenter pointed out, ‘thither must the Elephant come from the furthest parts of India and Africk, who are of a heavy and slow pace’)?
I'm not sure where that thought is coming from, whoever claimed that... I don't recall Adam having to name the animals that fast... I don't recall seeing a time limit listed in the Genesis account...

How come there was a woman for Cain to bump into when he pushed off for the Land of Nod?
Not sure why this is an important question that needs answering... but idk, I guess a woman was there...

And what was the snake’s beef, anyway?
The "snake" (Satan) wanted to be God, and wanted everything to worship HIM instead of God...

It wasn't randomly done... it had to be done in order to give his creation of mankind free will.

Like what?

covered this in the thread you can have free will while removing evil and keeping a challenge in life

mmorpg mechanics cover about all of it

but if your Creator is not all powerful ill admit thats not necessarily on the table

Those were separate trees.

I would say that they became mortal the very moment they ate of the fruit.

They were told not to eat of that particular tree. They disobeyed God and did so, so they were punished for that. (Well, it was also an act of grace, because if they would have eaten of the tree of life afterwards, that would not have been good, because then man would live forever in a body that would age and suffer and etc.)

I have no idea what language they spoke, nor have I felt it to be an important question that needed answering.

I'm not sure where that thought is coming from, whoever claimed that... I don't recall Adam having to name the animals that fast... I don't recall seeing a time limit listed in the Genesis account...

Not sure why this is an important question that needs answering... but idk, I guess a woman was there...

The "snake" (Satan) wanted to be God, and wanted everything to worship HIM instead of God...

I would say that they didn't exist and that the story is a myth.

Godless atheism, huh? Is there another kind? And since atheism isn't even a philosophical or political stance, it is probably quite rare that anyone was killed in the name of atheism. Nor does atheism make a person any more likely to kill than a believer.

Back
Top Bottom