• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Joe Biden Foolishly Played The Straw-Man To Push The Spread-The-Wealth Agenda In SOTU Speech

Calling everything you do not agree with foolish tactics is assuming everyone share your opinions.

For the future, be more honest in your posts and tell me why you do not like a policy or statement and I and others that do not agree with you will pay attention. You might even convince us that you have a point. After al, there is really no use in talking to everyone that agree with you. That is as useful as talking to the mirror and get proud over the images endorsement.

Which of my posts contained the words “foolish tactics”? BTW, I stated why I didn’t like ‘the policy’, and included a supporting link.

Which of my posts contained the words “foolish tactics”? BTW, I stated why I didn’t like ‘the policy’, and included a supporting link.
The headline, as I said I didn't read your argument for the reasons I stated.

The headline, as I said I didn't read your argument for the reasons I stated.

That seems to be disagreement with this thread’s title (which you call “the headline”), not something which I posted. You have earned yourself ignore status for that (bolded above) nonsense. Objecting to an argument which you admittedly didn’t read is a ridiculous ‘debate’ tactic.

I would go 50k no tax and then progress to 60% for the absolute high enders. That way the richest country on the planet would have most if not all live much more fruitful lives.

oh gawd no - the rich earner their money, why would you take 60% of it? and if you did? they'd stop giving 250 billion in donations every year (charity) and their companies would raise good/services prices 5X to compensate for the increase in taxes and what you've really done is doom the lower class even MORE

how's that min-wage increase going? with $22 hamburger and fries ? lol ............ and I do mean laugh out loud because Democrats talk wage increases, min wage people take it hook line and sinker, then when they're making $15 an hour to flip burgers they realize the costs of everything has soared and they're just as poor as before

well I hope they realize it anyway

oh gawd no - the rich earner their money, why would you take 60% of it? and if you did? they'd stop giving 250 billion in donations every year (charity) and their companies would raise good/services prices 5X to compensate for the increase in taxes and what you've really done is doom the lower class even MORE
This is a complete fantasy. For the most part, the rich do NOT "earn their money". For decades now, most of the richest people get richer, not by working (earning) but by having their money work for them. Moreover, because the rich, by way of their grotesquely disproportionate political influence through campaign contributions, have all but eliminated the inheritance tax, it means that we're approaching a time where inherited wealth alone represents more money than those who actually have earned their money. And those who've inherited their wealth haven't even "earned" any of it!

As for your "billions in donations every year" fantasy, the biggest motivation for charitable donations is tax write offs. That's why those donations are so disproportionately high at the end of the year. If the wealthy were being taxed MORE, then they'd need MORE tax write offs, and the billions in donations to charity would go UP, not down.
how's that min-wage increase going? with $22 hamburger and fries ? lol ............ and I do mean laugh out loud because Democrats talk wage increases, min wage people take it hook line and sinker, then when they're making $15 an hour to flip burgers they realize the costs of everything has soared and they're just as poor as before
You seem to wallow in misapprehensions. The pursuit of a higher minimum wage is based on the knowledge that people need to make a living wage. The whole idea of a minimum wage refers to the minimum that a person needs to live on. Do you know what the word minimum means?

About 70% of the 21 million federal aid beneficiaries worked full time. Should a person with a full time job need federal assistance? Would you rather that taxpayers continue to support those 21 million beneficiaries - or would you prefer that the corporations they work for, which make BILLION$ in PROFIT$, simply pay them a living wage? What makes more sense to you?

And where the hell do you pay $22 for a burger and fries? I live in what is arguably the most expensive city in the country, and anybody can get a burger and fries for less than half that amount. In fact, much less.

Where on earth do you get all your misinformation from?

This is a complete fantasy. For the most part, the rich do NOT "earn their money". For decades now, most of the richest people get richer, not by working (earning) but by having their money work for them. Moreover, because the rich, by way of their grotesquely disproportionate political influence through campaign contributions, have all but eliminated the inheritance tax, it means that we're approaching a time where inherited wealth alone represents more money than those who actually have earned their money. And those who've inherited their wealth haven't even "earned" any of it!

As for your "billions in donations every year" fantasy, the biggest motivation for charitable donations is tax write offs. That's why those donations are so disproportionately high at the end of the year. If the wealthy were being taxed MORE, then they'd need MORE tax write offs, and the billions in donations to charity would go UP, not down.

You seem to wallow in misapprehensions. The pursuit of a higher minimum wage is based on the knowledge that people need to make a living wage. The whole idea of a minimum wage refers to the minimum that a person needs to live on. Do you know what the word minimum means?

About 70% of the 21 million federal aid beneficiaries worked full time. Should a person with a full time job need federal assistance? Would you rather that taxpayers continue to support those 21 million beneficiaries - or would you prefer that the corporations they work for, which make BILLION$ in PROFIT$, simply pay them a living wage? What makes more sense to you?

And where the hell do you pay $22 for a burger and fries? I live in what is arguably the most expensive city in the country, and anybody can get a burger and fries for less than half that amount. In fact, much less.

You are arguing with people that want a 2 class society. It's as simple as that.

link to prove your accusation

The Hurun Global Rich List 2023 showed that 70% of the billionaires are self-made and only 30% are legacy.Mar 22, 2023
May 8, 2023 — In fact, over two-thirds of millionaires are self-made, according to a 2019 study by Wealth-X and a study by Fidelity Investments

A study published by Wealth-X found that around 68 percent of those with a net worth of $30 million or more made it themselves. Further, a second study by Fidelity Investments found that 88 percent of all millionaires are self-made, meaning they did not inherit their wealth.Jan 9, 2024

we can talk more about all the $500,000-$750,000 wage earners and they? they all work and earn their money

what you've been told is a lie

you're right - it IS a tax write off ...... I'd love love LOVE to see all the wealthy people take their money elsewhere and maybe wealth-haters would appreciate just a little what rich people do

you are no guaranteed a right to a living wage and min wage was never meant to raise a family on

minimum means if you want more, go get it

I'd have to know more about the living conditions/expectations/etc but I do agree working full time shouldn't need social care. Now, if you're talking about the person with 3 kids working at Taco Bell I'd say there is a lot to talk about there - agreed ?

corporations shouldn't pay for people to live - no. they pay for hours worked by their employee's

son - I don't post misinformation

You are arguing with people that want a 2 class society. It's as simple as that.
Agreed - but they are brainwashed by the propaganda of the wealthy - the lobbying and campaign money from the rich who have owned our politicians for decades, and which has only accelerated in our decline since the Citizens United decision, such that now, with "dark money", we can't even tell who owns our elected officials. The only thing that is obvious is that our government doesn't work for "we the people" anymore. It works for "special interests" that put it into elected office. We have to take the money out of our politics - period.

He who pays the piper calls the tune - and they ain't singing our song.

True. And these are both good things.

The two main problems with republicans' tax breaks are:
1) Tax breaks should be for everyone - - - not just the wealthy.
2) There needs to be SPENDING CUTS to accompany the tax cuts. Republicans don't want to cut spending. Of course deficit spending is the result.

Anyways, the nonsense that Biden proposed tonight only resonates with ignorant left wingers. The majority of Independents aren't falling for this malarkey.
LOL: Define what "ignorant left wingers" want? And, BTW what does a Libertarian has that never won a seat in Congress?

LOL: Define what "ignorant left wingers" want?
Read Biden's straw-man questions leveled at republican Representatives in the Original Post. This is what "ignorant left wingers" want - for Joe Biden to misrepresent what the republicans actually proposed, and to make them look like buffoons.

Thankfully, (and predictably) Joe's straw-man backfired on him. Informed people know who the real buffoon is.
And, BTW what does a Libertarian has that never won a seat in Congress?
Huh??? Are you trying to prop up your own straw-man?

During his State Of The Union Speech tonight, Biden stupidly propped up a flimsy straw-man :

" . . . The working people who built this country pay more into Social Security than millionaires and billionaires do. It's not fair. We have two ways to go - - republicans can cut social security and give more tax breaks to the wealthy . . . [boos from Congress] . . .Well, that's the proposal . . . .[boooing continues] . . Oh no? You guys don't want another$2 Trillion tax cut?? . . I kind of thought that was what your plan was. . [Congress booing continues] . . . Well, that's good to hear. You're not going to cut another $2 Trillion from the super-wealthy - - that's good to hear. . . .

Only the most profoundly ignorant dems will fall for this straw-man nonsense.

It's over for Joe Biden. There simply is no path to victory for this failed politician.

I know the right-wing hates the truth.

I said from '54 to '63. 91% was in fact the high end marginal tax bracket. The economy boomed. You better revisit your Google button. Quit lying.
The top marginal tax bracket, meaning only money earned over that bracket was to be taxed at 91%

Importantly though there was itemized deductions and exemptions to that rate.

True. And these are both good things.

The two main problems with republicans' tax breaks are:
1) Tax breaks should be for everyone - - - not just the wealthy.
2) There needs to be SPENDING CUTS to accompany the tax cuts. Republicans don't want to cut spending. Of course deficit spending is the result.

Anyways, the nonsense that Biden proposed tonight only resonates with ignorant left wingers. The majority of Independents aren't falling for this malarkey.
Ok, what exactly would you cut to pay for the tax cuts?

Dark Brandon kicked ass. The cult is, as usual, stunned and moronic.
The only thing I would have done differently is when Biden started arguing with MAGA Republicans he should have reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out his sunglasses.

Huh...Why is everyone talking about tax cuts? Ya wanna pay for the insane hole they all...yes including Donny-Boy...dug the USA into?

Cut the bureaucracies. Slash them till they actually make sense. Hell I'd bet ya could even improve production at the same time.

The only thing I would have done differently is when Biden started arguing with MAGA Republicans he should have reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out his sunglasses.
Now that's funny. Thanks.

Err...how's that steam picking up?
It picked up pretty good for him financially. That was the mission, and seems he succeeded.

State of the Union fuels Biden's biggest fundraising day of campaign​

Biden's State of the Union fundraising blitz comes as he and Trump appear headed for a lengthy and expensive battle for the White House following their dominant showings on Super Tuesday.

During his State Of The Union Speech tonight, Biden stupidly propped up a flimsy straw-man :

" . . . The working people who built this country pay more into Social Security than millionaires and billionaires do. It's not fair. We have two ways to go - - republicans can cut social security and give more tax breaks to the wealthy . . . [boos from Congress] . . .Well, that's the proposal . . . .[boooing continues] . . Oh no? You guys don't want another$2 Trillion tax cut?? . . I kind of thought that was what your plan was. . [Congress booing continues] . . . Well, that's good to hear. You're not going to cut another $2 Trillion from the super-wealthy - - that's good to hear. . . .

Only the most profoundly ignorant dems will fall for this straw-man nonsense.

It's over for Joe Biden. There simply is no path to victory for this failed politician.
I love that the Trump cult is still fuming over Joe's continued success. I have to admit, I'm experiencing some sweet, sweet schadenfreude!

It picked up pretty good for him financially. That was the mission, and seems he succeeded.

State of the Union fuels Biden's biggest fundraising day of campaign​

Biden's State of the Union fundraising blitz comes as he and Trump appear headed for a lengthy and expensive battle for the White House following their dominant showings on Super Tuesday.

Lol...nice try anyway.

Huh...Why is everyone talking about tax cuts? Ya wanna pay for the insane hole they all...yes including Donny-Boy...dug the USA into?

Cut the bureaucracies. Slash them till they actually make sense. Hell I'd bet ya could even improve production at the same time.
Federal employment accounts for less than 3% of the federal budget. If someone is talking about cutting spending they're either talking about cutting Social Security, Medicare and/or defense or one doesn't know what they're talking about.

You hear people say cut foreign aide, which is a rounding error to the federal budget.

Federal employment accounts for less than 3% of the federal budget. If someone is talking about cutting spending they're either talking about cutting Social Security, Medicare and/or defense or one doesn't know what they're talking about.

You hear people say cut foreign aide, which is a rounding error to the federal budget.
Over 19 million people work for the various levels of government. Trim that back and all levels save.

As for the feds...

There's a lot o' pork there.

Over 19 million people work for the various levels of government. Trim that back and all levels save.

As for the feds...

There's a lot o' pork there.
You conflate federal with various levels of government. That includes the states, which employ lots of teachers and police officers.

Lol...nice try anyway.
Shouldn't I be saying that to you? Seems you're running around this thread trying to light any fire you can. 🔥 I've seen nothing but buckets of water thrown on you so far. 🚰Good luck!! Someone will catch fire, just be patient. Keep at it!!

Back
Top Bottom