• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is atheism just worship of the devil under different name?

new atheists believe in loads of things, just not in gods. And I see the insults against atheists continue, now we have no "dignity, seriousness or solemnity of manner".

Calling something New atheism is mostly another way to just denounce atheism in general.
I did not coin the term "New Atheism"; nor did I bring about the cultural circumstances that inspired the coinage. Your quarrel is with Dawkins & Company, not with me. ;)

By not allowing us to hold public office in several states or work for the government (7 to be precise), among them:

Arkansas
Article 19, Section 1
"No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any Court."

North Carolina
Article 6, Section 8
"The following persons shall be disqualified for office: First, any person who shall deny the being of Almighty God."[

Tennessee
Article 9, Section 2
"No person who denies the being of God, or a future state of rewards and punishments, shall hold any office in the civil department of this state."

2. by spreading lies about us, and not a few lies but huge amounts of lies.

3. the ridiculous insult/public proclamation by church leaders and politicians that we have no morals and only religion gives us manner to judge our own behavior or can guide our own behavior. Or in other words the ridiculous claim/lie that morality cannot exist without belief in a deity, or that belief in god is necessary to have good values. In other words, the demonizing of atheists by making it out we are immoral/have no good values.

4. calling atheists un-American and un-patriotic.

5. the ridiculous claim that atheists are more likely to be criminals

#1 - If that was a nationwide federal law I would oppose it, but at the state level, I don't see any issues with that.
#2 - Would have to be more specific for me to comment about it...
#3 - I don't agree with religious people who say that stuff. Atheists can have great morals and can live morally good lives. But I think the main argument is that atheists have no "objective grounding" for their morals.
#4 - I would disagree with anyone who makes those claims about atheists.
#5 - That's something I've never really thought about to be honest, so I wouldn't know either way.

Why is it that if your not with "god" that you are the polar opposite? Quite frankly I don't know what I believe, there is a case to be made for all sides of the debate. My god tells me that I am his only disciple and that he looks after me and me alone. Does that mean that your god is 100% against me? My god doesn't go against anyone, seems a much more fair minded god IMO.

Because God says so...

That's kinda how I view it as well. Personally, I'm agnostic...

Who am I to define *God*?

I'm baffled by the ones that insist it's *their* version. It's the worst kind of arrogance. Regardless, atheists aren't committing murder en masse because My Flying Spaghetti Monster is better than *your* Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Well said, why can't even "believers" allow others to just live in peace? You know, common sense behavior is all it takes, why do I care if you think there is a god, aliens, sea monsters or sasquatches. As long as I don't visit my beliefs on you it shouldn't matter.

Because God says so...

With all due respect, what God is this you speak of? So if I don't acknowledge this god of yours I am the devil? Missy, you've got bigger problems then me if that's how you truly think.

My god pays no mind to you, he thinks not of you with the exception that he wants me to do no harm in your (anyones) direction.

Peace to you, I hope you find my god as I do, if not you will be at war your entire life.

With all due respect, what God is this you speak of? So if I don't acknowledge this god of yours I am the devil? Missy, you've got bigger problems then me if that's how you truly think.

My god pays no mind to you, he thinks not of you with the exception that he wants me to do no harm in your (anyones) direction.

Peace to you, I hope you find my god as I do, if not you will be at war your entire life.

The True God of the Bible, of course...there is no other...I gave you the scripture...if you choose to ignore, that's on you...

#1 - If that was a nationwide federal law I would oppose it, but at the state level, I don't see any issues with that.
#2 - Would have to be more specific for me to comment about it...
#3 - I don't agree with religious people who say that stuff. Atheists can have great morals and can live morally good lives. But I think the main argument is that atheists have no "objective grounding" for their morals.
#4 - I would disagree with anyone who makes those claims about atheists.
#5 - That's something I've never really thought about to be honest, so I wouldn't know either way.

1. it is a sad thing you have no issue with religious tests and official discriminatory behavior, as an atheist I would be horrified if someone would be banned from public office for being a catholic or protestant (and for no other reason whatsoever).

3. just because they do not have religious views does not mean they do not have objective grounding, first and foremost because that comes from society and more importantly parents and grandparents. Morals are made up of more than just religious rules about things, some have been so general that they are hardly religious but part of the common societal moral code. Do you for example really believe "not cheating on your wife" or "not lying" was not around before christianity? Some things are just common sense, every child religious or not gets told not to lie. An atheist does not teach their children something different just because it was not taught to them at Sunday school.

4. sadly it still gets said, it also gets said that atheists do not believe in American values (about 40% polled said this) and 44% did not want their child to marry an atheist. That is far below most other groups in America, even the racial groups. Fact is for no objective reason atheists are made out to be bad people

The True God of the Bible, of course...there is no other...I gave you the scripture...if you choose to ignore, that's on you...

Why is there only one true god, because some man wrote that down and you swallowed it?

new atheists believe in loads of things, just not in gods. And I see the insults against atheists continue, now we have no "dignity, seriousness or solemnity of manner".

Calling something New atheism is mostly another way to just denounce atheism in general.

There's no such thing as "New" atheism, or "Old atheism" because you can't have a system of belief when there isn't one to begin with, hence the word itself "a-theism".
Therefore, it is not a "theism", so it cannot be branded as a new or old belief because there is no belief.

There is just theism and the lack of it, which is known as atheism.
Theists have churches, atheists do not.
Theists cannot apply theist terms to describe something which is not theist in nature.

Atheists believe many theories with no evidence - you cannot see an ape turn into a man, but you can see signs of God, such as in the rainbow which is sign of God's covenant with Noah - so you ignore these signs and believe in man-made theories of evolution and big bang which one cannot see anywhere.

So to you light refraction is a sign of your god? If thats is true then I am your god, since I can make rainbows at will.

There's no such thing as "New" atheism, or "Old atheism" because you can't have a system of belief when there isn't one to begin with, hence the word itself "a-theism".
Therefore, it is not a "theism", so it cannot be branded as a new or old belief because there is no belief.

There is just theism and the lack of it, which is known as atheism.
Theists have churches, atheists do not.
Theists cannot apply theist terms to describe something which is not theist in nature.
It is precisely this kind of equivocating sophistical evasion of responsibility that has, in part, given New Atheism a bad name.

If atheism is not based on a belief -- namely, the belief that God does not exist -- if atheism is not based on this belief, as pusillanimous New Atheists want to say, then atheism is not atheism.

Because they lack the courage of their convictions, because they fear being held accountable for their disbelief, New Atheists have undermined their own atheism.

The great serious-minded atheists of the past like Camus and Sartre have been betrayed by the generation of frivolous atheists spawned by loudmouth know-it-alls like Dawkins and Hitchens and Harris, the New Atheists of the 21st Century.

1. it is a sad thing you have no issue with religious tests and official discriminatory behavior, as an atheist I would be horrified if someone would be banned from public office for being a catholic or protestant (and for no other reason whatsoever).
Please don't mischaracterize my position... Only at the State government level do I have no problem with it. At the Federal government level I do have a problem with it. States should have more freedom as to what they want to morph into, while the federal level should be more "all-inclusive". This is how the written text of the USA Federal Constitution reads, but as a country, the USA has not held their federal government accountable to the written text and the federal government has trampled all over that text as a result.

3. just because they do not have religious views does not mean they do not have objective grounding, first and foremost because that comes from society and more importantly parents and grandparents.
But that isn't an objective standard. The moral standards of society constantly change, as do the standards of individuals. Also, moral standards between different individuals and different societies vary, so how does one know what is trulyright and what is truly wrong?

Morals are made up of more than just religious rules about things, some have been so general that they are hardly religious but part of the common societal moral code. Do you for example really believe "not cheating on your wife" or "not lying" was not around before christianity? Some things are just common sense, every child religious or not gets told not to lie. An atheist does not teach their children something different just because it was not taught to them at Sunday school.
Well, I believe that those things were around before the official formation of Christianity as a religion, but I believe those things to have come from the Christian God, who has always "been", as part of his nature.

4. sadly it still gets said, it also gets said that atheists do not believe in American values (about 40% polled said this) and 44% did not want their child to marry an atheist. That is far below most other groups in America, even the racial groups. Fact is for no objective reason atheists are made out to be bad people
I agree that it is sad that stuff like that gets said. Atheists can very well live better moral lives than plenty of Christians themselves live, and the Christian needs to look at himself and realize that he is just as bad as anyone he points a finger at. I do understand why Christians wouldn't necessarily want to marry someone who is not a Christian (if they don't want the temptation to be strayed away from their faith), but sometimes it works out one way or another.

Last edited:
Call the question

From what I understand, atheism is primarily a hatred of God and a wish for man to place himself above God - due to not wishing to be bound to God's laws, and wanting the freedom to live in sin - such as lust, drunkenness, and drug addictions.

This is not any different than how the devil thinks, the devil being in a rebellion against God and wishing to rule himself, rather than be subordinate to anyone.

& How do we know what the devil thinks? How do we know he is in rebellion against God? How do we know the devil wishes to rule instead of God?

Re: Call the question

& How do we know what the devil thinks? How do we know he is in rebellion against God? How do we know the devil wishes to rule instead of God?

I take it you've never read the Bible because the answers are all there...

Thousands of religions and only one true God. Yours.

Hell is going to be standing room only.

Thousands of religions and only one true God. Yours.

Hell is going to be standing room only.

Hell is the grave, so I would say it's laying room only...

Details, details

The OP self-identifies as an Islam scholar, so I assume we're talking about Islam. Sure, I've read through some of the Bible - it's hard to miss it entirely in West Civ.

Or are you arguing that Islam & Christianity believe exactly the same things?

Re: Details, details

The OP self-identifies as an Islam scholar, so I assume we're talking about Islam. Sure, I've read through some of the Bible - it's hard to miss it entirely in West Civ.

Or are you arguing that Islam & Christianity believe exactly the same things?

I'm not comparing, you are...some things the OP says I believe, some not...I don't know what he'll tell you...

I've seen much of the world as a matter of fact. How about you?

Your drivel is supernaturally prescient, however. Are you sure you're an atheist?

Are you sure that you are not an atheist? You certainly act as you claim we do.

BTW, seeing the world does not take into account TV and movies. It requires actual action, something I suspect you have not done.

New Atheism has nothing to say, period.
If you're a New Atheist, I challenge you to offer an argument for your atheism.

First, the term "new Atheist" is just a made up term by those who cannot comprehend what Atheism is or just want to deny it

Second, you are spending an awful lot of time trying to deny what an Atheist says when you claim that we have nothing to say. Typical of theist hypocrisy.

Not the point, the argument is that atheists are mislead by the devil into believing their is no God so that they can be lead into sin and hellfire - if atheists not live in ignorance then they could understand the workings of God and how he is present everywhere rather than be deceived by individuals such as Darwin or Dawkins who seek to usurp God's divine claim to authority.

It is duty of faithful to help blind be lead out of sin and ignorance.

You actually have no idea what the point is, other than to promote your false ideas.

As stated prior, there is no god and there is no devil. False beliefs used only to promote your self made fairy tales.

As with most alleged Islamists you want to control every thought of others so that they do not make you actually think.

Speaking of the sin of ignorance, you seem to personify it.

First, the term "new Atheist" is just a made up term by those who cannot comprehend what Atheism is or just want to deny it

Second, you are spending an awful lot of time trying to deny what an Atheist says when you claim that we have nothing to say. Typical of theist hypocrisy.
The source of the term "New Atheist" has been posted above.
The only folks who seem unable or unwilling to "comprehend what Atheism is or just want to deny it" are the New Atheists.
The New Atheist says nothing. My time is spent pointing that out.

Namaste.
Your post is typical of New Atheist

Re: Call the question

So you don't know, only believe a story that has been translated and edited far beyond anything that it might have originally said to support your beliefs.

Compelling argument.:thumbdown

Back
Top Bottom