• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

If Heaven Existed, Wouldn't You Be Bored?

It's the last moment in time? I think if it's a moment of time at all then it has to end just as quickly as any other moment. More importantly, the point is that if it's really separate from time and not on the other side of the future from the present, then if I am ever there I must already be there in some sense. You are right about us not getting bored in such a realm though.

In a sense you could say that it's the last moment in time, I didn't meant that that would be technically accurate.

I think we're working with a different understanding of time, you seem to understand time as simply indicating a sequential causality, and by that understanding aveternity would be included in time. The understanding of time that I'm using requires change to occur for time to pass in a meaningful sense.

What if heaven was personal; it is what you want it to be after all it is your just reward. You might want to paint or drive fast cars or chase women or men or live on a beach or in the mountains near a stream in a log cabin. Why does heaven have to be like a crowded subway or a football game with zillions in attendance!!?? It is up to you for being a good guy/gal on earth. ENJOY!!

What if heaven was personal; it is what you want it to be after all it is your just reward. You might want to paint or drive fast cars or chase women or men or live on a beach or in the mountains near a stream in a log cabin. Why does heaven have to be like a crowded subway or a football game with zillions in attendance!!?? It is up to you for being a good guy/gal on earth. ENJOY!!

In Heaven, people will have the beatific vision, which means that God will be immediately present to their intellects, so they will see that he is absolute goodness itself, so simply being in his presence will be what they most desire.

kuran already points out it and claims we will have anything we want there

My 72 virgins will keep me from boredom.

I realize it sounds disrespectful, but it's a question I've always had about christianity. I myself was raised Catholic, and the Heaven portrayed for us was one where regimented rows of beings of various degrees of holiness sang incessantly.

This did not appeal.

May I ask, what's your vision of Heaven, and why would you want to go?

That is an incredible display of lack of imagination.

Boring for many is a state of mind......

And please, will we ever see an end to these simplistic bait threads from atheists who have nothing better to do than obsess on what they don't believe in.

In Heaven, people will have the beatific vision, which means that God will be immediately present to their intellects, so they will see that he is absolute goodness itself, so simply being in his presence will be what they most desire.

Like being on ecstasy.

I realize it sounds disrespectful, but it's a question I've always had about christianity. I myself was raised Catholic, and the Heaven portrayed for us was one where regimented rows of beings of various degrees of holiness sang incessantly.

This did not appeal.

May I ask, what's your vision of Heaven, and why would you want to go?

Like the Bible says, it's a place of eternal love, joy and peace with no more tears and no more sorrows. You won't get that anywhere else.

Can't imagine you wouldn't like some of that.

Like the Bible says, it's a place of eternal love, joy and peace with no more tears and no more sorrows. You won't get that anywhere else.

Does everyone have the power to explode eachother's heads and still survive?

In a sense you could say that it's the last moment in time, I didn't meant that that would be technically accurate.

I think we're working with a different understanding of time, you seem to understand time as simply indicating a sequential causality, and by that understanding aveternity would be included in time. The understanding of time that I'm using requires change to occur for time to pass in a meaningful sense.
Is there a difference between causality and change? Anything caused is an event; it alters the state of something.

What if I don't want joy and peace? Joy is just an emotion; there is no reason to pursue it any more than there is a reason to pursue sorrow. I'm not after happiness in life; that would be hedonism and would render me a monster. I'm after the Fulfillment of my Purpose. Joy is of no importance to me. I prefer the negative emotions just as much sometimes.

Is there a difference between causality and change? Anything caused is an event; it alters the state of something.

What I mean is that you seemed to think that a being cannot cease being "in time" because to go from being in time to not would require a sequential causality which would mean that the being still was in time. In the classical conception this is not a problem because by virtue of a change in the state of being, the being simply ceases to be in time.

What I mean is that you seemed to think that a being cannot cease being "in time" because to go from being in time to not would require a sequential causality which would mean that the being still was in time. In the classical conception this is not a problem because by virtue of a change in the state of being, the being simply ceases to be in time.
Huh? By virtue of a change in the state of being, it must be in time; that's the only way it could change.

Huh? By virtue of a change in the state of being, it must be in time; that's the only way it could change.

The moment of death (when the change occurs) is in time but the being does not remain in time afterwards.

I think that we don't have a clue about what Heaven will be like. I like the analogy of candy and sex. Ask a 4 year old what the best thing in the whole world is and you'll likely get an answer like "candy", ask and adult the same question and you'll likely get an answer like "sex". A four year old has no frame of reference to understand the adult answer. IMO, we're like 4 year olds. Heaven won't be like anything we imagine it to be. When I hear people going on about "I'm gonna go for a ride on a Harley with Jesus.", I figure that the reality is that given a choice between that and what GOd has for us, that option would like accepting a bowl of cold, dry, lumpy oatmeal over the finest gourmet meal.

I think that we don't have a clue about what Heaven will be like. I like the analogy of candy and sex. Ask a 4 year old what the best thing in the whole world is and you'll likely get an answer like "candy", ask and adult the same question and you'll likely get an answer like "sex". A four year old has no frame of reference to understand the adult answer. IMO, we're like 4 year olds. Heaven won't be like anything we imagine it to be. When I hear people going on about "I'm gonna go for a ride on a Harley with Jesus.", I figure that the reality is that given a choice between that and what GOd has for us, that option would like accepting a bowl of cold, dry, lumpy oatmeal over the finest gourmet meal.

oatmeal is good for you.

Thats debatable. Sex gives women more testosterone and lowers it in men. Almost like they are siphoning your soul.

Love bugs, the female sucks the male dry until there is nothing left.

Love bugs, the female sucks the male dry until there is nothing left.

Often, the female eats the male after mating.

Males still are willing to mate.

What does that tell us about the male?

Back
Top Bottom