• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

If Heaven Existed, Wouldn't You Be Bored?

Pinkie

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I realize it sounds disrespectful, but it's a question I've always had about christianity. I myself was raised Catholic, and the Heaven portrayed for us was one where regimented rows of beings of various degrees of holiness sang incessantly.

This did not appeal.

May I ask, what's your vision of Heaven, and why would you want to go?

Yeah - I fell for the 'fluffy clouds instead of grass' thing.

Honestly - if there is a heaven I don't want to go - too many people I don't feel like hanging out with forever.

Yeah - I fell for the 'fluffy clouds instead of grass' thing.

Honestly - if there is a heaven I don't want to go - too many people I don't feel like hanging out with forever.

It's the never-changing, never learning anything new, never growing as a person that turns me off. If you die at 6 years old and go to heaven, then you stay a 6 year old forever.

I just can't understand why people would hope for this.

It's the never-changing, never learning anything new, never growing as a person that turns me off. If you die at 6 years old and go to heaven, then you stay a 6 year old forever.

I just can't understand why people would hope for this.

yeah - sounds more fun to be a vampire.

"Immortal forever"

When all ya folks get to hell, you can come have a party at my place!

There's nothing in the Bible that says everybody is just going to stand around the Throne forever singing, or sitting on clouds playing a harp forever.

There's a New Earth, a New Jerusalem, and a new Heaven at the end of time and the beginning of Eternity, and the Bible says we will have a place there. The Bible speaks of a tree of every kind of fruit you could want, and an endless river running through the city, and all manner of other things that suggest you won't lack for variety.

I've never seen any scripture that says if you die at 6 you stay 6 forever, nor that you never learn anything new or ever change.

It is also said that we haven't been told the half of the glory of Heaven, because most of it would be too much for us to understand or grasp.

I have my own personal notions as well, of course, though they are just speculation on my part... but I find it astonishing that someone would complain about being ageless, immortal, unkillable, suffering no sickness or loss or pain or sorrow, and being in the presence of the One who made all that possible, and who knows everything you might want to know or have ever been curious about.

Boredom? I plan to body-surf the New Niagra Falls on the New Earth for starters... :)

Last edited:
I never really think much about Heaven. I don't figure I'll earn a spot to go, IF there is all such a place and stuff.
I do however, like to think there is a Heaven when it comes to my Mother. I like to picture her happy...carefree....pain-free....smiling....and just feeling all leisure and peaceful and very very happy.
She was one lady who really truly deserved to be in a place like that.

Besides, I'm bored evey damn day of my life, at some point in time, so....why should Heaven be any different??! ....I'd feel right at home :lamo

I realize it sounds disrespectful, but it's a question I've always had about christianity. I myself was raised Catholic, and the Heaven portrayed for us was one where regimented rows of beings of various degrees of holiness sang incessantly.

This did not appeal.

Heaven is where ever you would be happiest, whether it be in a flowered field with angels singing or some hell hole on some distant planet or even here...we have alot places like that.

Heaven is where ever you would be happiest, whether it be in a flowered field with angels singing or some hell hole on some distant planet or even here...we have alot places like that.

Interesting idea.

Personally, I put my faith in death. The End. No more anything.....and a chance for the young ones to make something new.

It's delusional to believe that you will be this ego forever. At death, the persona that is asking these questions dies too.

I would never want to be this personality for all eternity. What a nightmare. Heaven, to me, is this ego dissipating into the nothingness it already is, and the expansiveness of God and the universe reunites with itself again.

The best part is that this is what awaits everyone. In fact, it's all around you right now. There's nothing you have to do to gain approval for this experience. Everyone 'gets in'. Even the worst of humanity are included.

My vision of Heaven is that there isn't just ONE Heaven any more than there is just one Hell. I would suggest that Heaven, the Happy Hunting Grounds, Valhallah, The Elyssian Fields, and many other Upper Planes exist; just as Hel, Hell, and many other Lower Planes exist on the other end of the scale.

All of this is a little odd to me - people actually believe in these things. . . my parents use to weird me out about this when I was a kid.

Be honest....who hasn't found Heroniomous Bosch's paintings of Hell far more intriguing than Michangelo's paintings of Heaven?

Well, if you believe in heaven then you believe in hell and heaven, though it does sound dull, it is definitely better than hell.

Be honest....who hasn't found Heroniomous Bosch's paintings of Hell far more intriguing than Michangelo's paintings of Heaven?

:rofl

Michelangelo certainly had a unique style - even a bit of comedy - that he'd pepper in there - especially with his infamous last judgment. Have you seen Bosch's last judgment: He's just so quirky: http://www.wga.hu/art/b/bosch/5panels/17fragme.jpg Love it.

But my favorite piece of his is Ascent of the Blessed - because he gave a very new and unique spin to an extremely old depiction of this whole scene, here: http://www.wga.hu/art/b/bosch/6venice/1paradi2.jpg

He was so ahead of his time - so was Goya

I'm hoping for Valhallah, personally. Fighting, Feasting, Drinking, and ****ing with the Valkyries and the greatest warriors in history for all of eternity.

I'm hoping for Valhallah, personally. Fighting, Feasting, Drinking, and ****ing with the Valkyries and the greatest warriors in history for all of eternity.

You're a conservative - away with you! Off to the monastery - only young boys and christ's blood. :)

You're a conservative - away with you! Off to the monastery - only young boys and christ's blood. :)

Conservative, YES. Christian, NO WAY. The closest thing to a holy symbol I carry around is a Thor's Hammer, Spiker.

Are you kidding? You'd spend all your time running in terror from the ****ing cherubs:

Each of them had four faces and four wings, with straight feet with a sole like the sole of a calf's foot, and "hands of a man" under their wings. Each had four faces: The face of a man, the face of a lion on the right side, the face of an ox on the left side, and the face of an eagle.

Are you kidding? You'd spend all your time running in terror from the ****ing cherubs:

There is a reason that pretty much every angel in the bible starts a conversation with "don't be afraid, but ..."

Interesting idea.

Personally, I put my faith in death. The End. No more anything.....and a chance for the young ones to make something new.
If this was the case, then how to we explain being self aware.

This did not appeal.

My idea of heaven is no people. Just animals. Beauty. Wisdom. Peace. Comraderie.
Why do I want to go? Why wouldn't I?
If my dog supposedly is not allowed in people heaven, I am not welcome either. Period.

Back
Top Bottom