• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How many more illegal migrants should we allow in through the border?

How many more illegal migrants should we accept?

• No more. Legal immigration only

• 1 million

• 5 million

• 10 million

• 100 million

• 1 billion

• Unlimited

Results are only viewable after voting.
You want to make it harder for people to come here legally through the asylum process. That could lead to an increase in illegal immigration.

I would disagree with your assertion.

I'm making it harder for people to come across the border illegally, to then enter into the asylum process

I'm making it easier to gain asylum without entering the country illegally by suggesting the opening of additional asylum only ports of entry.

This should lead to a decrease in the amount of illegal entries, as there is no longer an incentive for those who wish to claim asylum to enter into the country illlegally first.

I would disagree with your assertion.

I'm making it harder for people to come across the border illegally, to then enter into the asylum process

I'm making it easier to gain asylum without entering the country illegally by suggesting the opening of additional asylum only ports of entry.

This should lead to a decrease in the amount of illegal entries, as there is no longer an incentive for those who wish to claim asylum to enter into the country illlegally first.

Why not just make it legal for them to enter the country to claim asylum status?

Still here. Post a question in a civil manner and I will response with a civil answer.
I did post in a civil manner.

You responded in an uncivil manner.

You said my post was "stupid" but failed to actually adress what I said in any way shape or form.

The ball is in your court.

Let's see if you can actually adress what I said this time instead of just hiding behind insults.

We should allow enough migrants in who can be properly vetted and processed in an orderly manner using the resources we currently have to do so. Rushing through razor wire should not be a means by which asylum claims are forced to be heard.

They were simply trying to get past Abbott's performance based National Guard.

Clearly the resources we currently have are inadequate to the job.

I did post in a civil manner.

You responded in an uncivil manner.

You said my post was "stupid" but failed to actually adress what I said in any way shape or form.

The ball is in your court.

Let's see if you can actually adress what I said this time instead of just hiding behind insults.
The answer to your question is no.

They were simply trying to get past Abbott's performance based National Guard.

Clearly the resources we currently have are inadequate to the job.
The political parties we have are the ones inadequate for the job.
Abbott is making a good point. Just like DeSantis who gave a free vacation to 50 Venezuelans on Martha's Vineyard.
Abbott is doing what Biden is trying to do in transporting migrants to various sanctuary cities.

Why not just make it legal for them to enter the country to claim asylum status?

1) it is an incredible waste of resources as it requires a huge number of border control s to patrol larger swaths of land to find all these people who are legitimately coming for asylum and NOT just using it as a stalling tactic IF they're found.

2) similarly, it's far more efficient to process people from a knowable, plannable, set of funnelable areas. Efficiency leads to more claims being looked at for less cost.

3) by allowing for it you DO increase illegal entry and immigration because you provide an an avenue for people who don't qualify for asylum to try and come in knowing they will either a] not be caught or b] get caught and be able to delay things while staying in the country for a longer period

Reactions: PoS
Legalize all immigration.

"illegal" immigration is a government-manufactured problem, and border controls are the government acting as arsonist fireman.

Also freedom of movement is considered a basic, foundational freedom if one considers oneself an actual libertarian.
So I can basically help myself to your house and property anytime I choose? Without consequence?

Property rights are fundamental Libertarian principals. Also the Constitution is a fundamental Libertarian principal. Illegal immigration flies in the face of both of them.

Stop manufacturing Libertarian principals.

Reactions: PoS
Of course no one can come to the United States to stay. The Congress under the Speaker of the House of Rep. can put forth the power and money in the Constitution (under Art I and clauses Seven and Eight) an Immigration Bill sent to the Senate and the President. What has been the power in the Speaker and the majority of some members in the Peoples house only purpose is to keep the majority and not a clear, concise Bill to make a change on Immitration.

We should allow enough migrants in who can be properly vetted and processed in an orderly manner using the resources we currently have to do so. Rushing through razor wire should not be a means by which asylum claims are forced to be heard.
The initial vetting should occur at a legal entry point, and entry anywhere else should indicate they are seeking something other than asylum.

Xenophobes in general can boycott these industries if they're serious.

I grew up in an area with a lot of migrant workers, so I don't feel a need to boycott over this issue. However, the jobs are the draw, and as long as that's the case, you're going to have migrant labor no matter how high you build a derpwall.

If they're not going to support a bill that they helped create, they certainly aren't going to support a bill the Dems create.

They are more than willing to argue that Trump alone can solve the problem and that an immigration reform bill is unnecessary.

Again, that's the entire strategic point. Like I said before, get out of the crystal ball business of predicting the future and saying, "Well, if they're going to vote against it, then we shouldn't even try."

Going forward with it will disarm the GOP's ability to publicly complain about immigration by forcing them to vote against a standalone policy to address the problems. It's not that complicated if the Democrats want to be invested in strategies that actually outsmart the GOP and make them look like they're full of shit. They have nothing to lose by doing this and everything to gain. Make the GOP own it rather than bailing them out by preventing their predictable inaction.

Biden gave the GOP their bill to approve-----they turned it down. Case closed.

BTW----they are refugees
If they are "refugees" what happened to the "refugee" quota?

Misleading since it took decades for illegals to get to 3M by the time Reagan declared amnesty, whereas over 8 million made it into America when Brandon became POTUS.

God are you ever a lazy reader...

PolitiFact ruling​

Mostly False
Mostly False

Haley said, "We’ve had 8 million" immigrants come to the U.S. illegally under Biden and they only sent back 142,000."
There have been 8.1 million encounters with migrants nationwide under Biden, but that number does not represent unique individuals. And not all who were stopped were allowed to stay in the U.S.
The 142,000 refers only to ICE removals in fiscal year 2023. But that is not the only way migrants can be sent out of the U.S. There have been 3.6 million removals, returns and expulsions under Biden’s administration. This data also represents events, not people.
Haley’s claim contains an element of truth in the numbers she cites but ignores additional data and critical context about immigration.
We rate it Mostly False.

So let's go back to the way we did immigration back in the Ellis Island days. Show up unannounced. Write your name down, take a TB test, and you are on your way, LEGALLY, in a matter of hours, not decades.

You with me?

Ellis Island did have quotas and I am okay with both quotas and meritocracy, as in: "Do you have anything to offer the United States"....but at least the rules and quotas were solid, not subject to politics and somewhat stable. Today the rules change every couple of years or even every couple of months. No wonder most people think our immigration system is a joke. They can't be blamed for thinking that, because it is.

The initial vetting should occur at a legal entry point, and entry anywhere else should indicate they are seeking something other than asylum.
Yes, the cartels are taking advantage of illegal aliens who can sneak through openings in the TX obstacles preventing illegals from entering our country.

Again, that's the entire strategic point. Like I said before, get out of the crystal ball business of predicting the future and saying, "Well, if they're going to vote against it, then we shouldn't even try."

Going forward with it will disarm the GOP's ability to publicly complain about immigration by forcing them to vote against a standalone policy to address the problems. It's not that complicated if the Democrats want to be invested in strategies that actually outsmart the GOP and make them look like they're full of shit. They have nothing to lose by doing this and everything to gain. Make the GOP own it rather than bailing them out by preventing their predictable inaction.

That's basically the situation we are in now. I don't think uncoupling the bill from Ukraine funding is going to change their minds. They need Trump's permission to do that. And they seem okay with insisting the bill, the best bill they'll ever see with a chance of passing, is inadaquate and only Trump can solve the problem.

That's basically the situation we are in now. I don't think uncoupling the bill from Ukraine funding is going to change their minds. They need Trump's permission to do that. And they seem okay with insisting the bill, the best bill they'll ever see with a chance of passing, is inadaquate and only Trump can solve the problem.

The goal isn't to change their minds, though--it's to make them own their stupid position publicly and suffer the consequences among any non-Trumpies/independents/liberals who are firmly in favor of immigration policies getting addressed.

Xenophobes in general can boycott these industries if they're serious.

I grew up in an area with a lot of migrant workers, so I don't feel a need to boycott over this issue. However, the jobs are the draw, and as long as that's the case, you're going to have migrant labor no matter how high you build a derpwall.

Yep. In the 60s my grandfather would have to pay the airline tickets to fly in migrant labor. Now they flood over the boarder knocking on the door for the plucking.

Welcome to election year politics.
It is going to get worse before it gets better.
Don't expect common sense to prevail.

The goal isn't to change their minds, though--it's to make them own their stupid position publicly and suffer the consequences among any non-Trumpies/independents/liberals who are firmly in favor of immigration policies getting addressed.

The Dems could do this more forcefully now, but again, the Reoublucans will just say the bill is inadequate and only Trump can solve the problem.

Welcome to election year politics.
It is going to get worse before it gets better.
Don't expect common sense to prevail.

Yes, many Republican senators were surely eager to tell their constituents that they were doing something about immigration with this bill, but then Trump struck. His election needs are greater than their's.

Back
Top Bottom