• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Google Fires Author of Divisive Memo on Gender Differences [W:547]

Re: Google fires employee who penned controversial memo

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-organic&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

I didn't expect Google to fire this guy so quickly. This says very bad things about them & progressive culture

The Left doesn't get this, but its not illegal to think or say or write about things they disagree with.

He disseminated his manifesto on company email, IIRC. Google is not obligated to give this guy a platforn.

The Left doesn't get this, but its not illegal to think or say or write about things they disagree with.

Who claimed it was illegal to say what he said? It's like you struggle with basic concepts such as honesty.

So suddenly conservatives want to tell businesses they can't fire people that violate their corporate policy or think they are disruptive to the workplace based on actions?

I'd fire probably a dozen forum goers based on their posts, if they wrote this sort of thing in a 10 page memo at a company I ran.

None of that provides evidence for the Google moron's claims.

Which were what?

Quote them and break down exactly what was misogynist and incorrect.

This memo has been available in its entirety on Gizmodo for days. If you haven't read it, that's on you.

A former Google employee on NPR yesterday said that part of the reasoning may have been that they have peer reviews as part of their evaluation process and he was involved in that process. After publishing his beliefs, there would have been some doubt about being an objective reviewer. Of course, in any peer review process, you will likely have some bias in evaluations. I've participated, and I had a hard time being objective with a guy who was good at his job, but a real a-hole to his staff.

Misogynists and pisogynists must follow company rules.

In Google's case, we find the right wing wants to use Big Government to interfere.

That darn free market strikes again. If only we had conservative law governing workplaces to insist on women being inferiors would we be a just people.

Two people who didn't read the memo.
You should probably do that, before making stupid and insipid comments.

Perhaps education would help you. Then you wouldn't constantly be suffering this terrible persecution. Your tear-filled cries of injustice are horrible to behold. Someone should give you a hug and dry those victim tears.

How do you think this sort of idiocy flies? Where do you think you are? Pathetic.

The fact you can't actually address his argument and instead throw out platitudes speaks volumes for how weak your
Argument actually is.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-organic&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

I didn't expect Google to fire this guy so quickly. This says very bad things about them & progressive culture

Unfortunately, the memo was very poorly referenced in Gizmodo, not sure about motherboard, but the writer included citations to support his claims.
I'm trying to find the original, but for the time being here is an article supporting what he wrote.
I'm posting an archieved version because the original site is being bombarded with inquiries and is slow to non existent to respond to at times.

http://quillette.com/2017/08/07/google-memo-four-scientists-respond/

https://web.archive.org/web/2017080...17/08/07/google-memo-four-scientists-respond/

Funny enough though, Google CEO posts his own memo, where he states that,

DGr5HeNV0AADOAm.jpg

So you can dissent, just not about things we don't like.
What's being under reported, if at all, is that other google employees are talking about blacklisting people who "wrongthink."

Which were what?

Quote them and break down exactly what was misogynist and incorrect.

This memo has been available in its entirety on Gizmodo for days. If you haven't read it, that's on you.

Gizmodo is a **** source.
The memo writer included evidence, to support his claims.
Gizmodo didn't include said evidence.

Gizmodo is a **** source.
The memo writer included evidence, to support his claims.
Gizmodo didn't include said evidence.

Well, that's fine. Point is, I doubt very much ecofarm or much of anyone else has gone so far as to read the memo even as available on Gizmodo.

My guess is everyone who's decrying the "misogyny" of it is going on second- or third-hand impressions supplied by someone else.

But I'm perfectly willing to accept it was "misogynist" if one can actually parse the memo on its own terms and make that case. So far, no one has.

Unfortunately, the memo was very poorly referenced in Gizmodo, not sure about motherboard, but the writer included citations to support his claims.
I'm trying to find the original, but for the time being here is an article supporting what he wrote.
I'm posting an archieved version because the original site is being bombarded with inquiries and is slow to non existent to respond to at times.

http://quillette.com/2017/08/07/google-memo-four-scientists-respond/

https://web.archive.org/web/2017080...17/08/07/google-memo-four-scientists-respond/

Funny enough though, Google CEO posts his own memo, where he states that,

DGr5HeNV0AADOAm.jpg

So you can dissent, just not about things we don't like.
What's being under reported, if at all, is that other google employees are talking about blacklisting people who "wrongthink."

This falls under the classic "I'm in favor of free speech, but . . . "

Where somehow whatever follows the "but" is going to show that indeed, he's not really.

Well, that's fine. Point is, I doubt very much ecofarm or much of anyone else has gone so far as to read the memo even as available on Gizmodo.

My guess is everyone who's decrying the "misogyny" of it is going on second- or third-hand impressions supplied by someone else.

But I'm perfectly willing to accept it was "misogynist" if one can actually parse the memo on its own terms and make that case. So far, no one has.

Just for the record, here's the original document.

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3914586/Googles-Ideological-Echo-Chamber.pdf

Here you go.

I read it quickly. As a general observation, Google can do what it wants with hiring and firing, but I didn't see anything on the first run that rose above the level of "that's pretty stupid (or poorly reasoned)" with me. Not sure why they'd fire the guy over this memo.

Because the torch-wielding mob demanded it.

Its not illegal for people to speak their minds, but they can also face consequences for it. Google is a private corporation and they can let go of whoever violates their rules. Capitalism at work and thats a good thing.

While the bolded part is true, it doesn't have anything to do with "capitalism" or "free markets," as some people keep saying. Those are economic constructs, not philosophical ones.

Who claimed it was illegal to say what he said? It's like you struggle with basic concepts such as honesty.

At least one tech writer did:

https://medium.com/@elissabeth/a-in...-the-news-cycle-in-tech-feminism-f9fbe3e5d2eb

This same speech becomes a problem in a corporate environment, which is held to a different set of standards. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, or gender. And speech questioning the technical qualifications of people based on race or gender arguably falls under this category.

Not that she actually demonstrated the memo did any of this.

"Biological differences" are why more women aren't CEOs/in corporate leadership positions according to this guy.

A rather silly claim at best.

In the natural environment, you do not have government and law forcing a faddish result. Laws are needed to make things unnatural and force a result that would not occur in nature. The left has a difficult time differentiating between natural and unnatural, just as they can;t grasp the difference between legal and illegal immigrants. They tend to merge things into over simplicity, based on how they are conditioned to feel.

For example, men are more visual animals while females are more verbal. This well documented difference has an impact on the brain's wiring. Women tend to develop the brain laterally; left and right, audio cortex, and better develop the corpus colossum that connects the two hemisphere of the brain. Men tend to develop more wiring front to back; visual cortex and frontal lobe; seeing and imagining. Men are from Mars and Women from Venus.

Men and women are meant to be naturally complementary; side to side development learns from front to back and vice versa, with this team more than the sum of its parts. If both parts are culturally manipulated to be the same, there is no team effect that is more than the sum of the parts. This is part of the dumb down of culture, which then requires law and wasted resources to prop up. This allows for the skim by middle men.

Take away all laws and resources that artificially promotes one sex over the other. Let nature take its course to see what is natural.

At least one tech writer did:
So what? He didn't cal her out, he called all liberals out.

So what? He didn't cal her out, he called all liberals out.

You asked who said it was "illegal." I gave you an example. This response is nonsensical.

Call me crazy, but I don't really see the big issue with what he wrote.

I don't agree with all of it, but he made some good points in there.

Some people disagree with evolutionary psychology.
It doesn't fit with their politics.

Call me crazy, but I don't really see the big issue with what he wrote.

I don't agree with all of it, but he made some good points in there.

You'll have to ask all the people who haven't read it, yet still call it "misogynist" and "idiocy," what their objections to it are.

A few people have tried just that, but not much has been forthcoming. We'll see how the day goes.

Companies are free to fire anyone that makes any public statement that they feel makes their company look bad. Welcome to freedom.

This isn't particularly correct, there are federal labor laws they may come into issue with this.

Here is an interesting article that explains why there could be some legal issues for Google with this

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...sg=AFQjCNG4pThuHtzohE5lwOnjO6hbbiFV2w&ampcf=1

I remember reading an article, I believe in the NY Times, when I was in college explaining why women are not as well equipped to do math as men. That was decades ago. This is nothing new. It doesn't mean they aren't better at other things.

Back
Top Bottom