• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Florida high court sides with governor on felon voter rights

14th Amendment, Section 1:

"Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."
Yes, but in Constitutional terms the due process was provided during the individual's trial. That's the loophole. I don't necessarily agree with it, but that's the legal logic.

And people say the left isnt full of hate and rage :lamo

Oh spare us all, Fletch. Spare us all.

You guys on the right extend your hatred and rage into legislation.

So please; SPARE US ALL.

Bull**** it doesn't. I have to pay a fee each time I get the card and it doesn't have my picture on it.
You have to pay for a voter's card? Is the card required to vote?

Oh spare us all, Fletch. Spare us all.

You guys on the right extend your hatred and rage into legislation.

So please; SPARE US ALL.

Really? What legislation was that? But no, you dont get to rationalize your unhinged hatred and rage by pretending its righteous.

these people are more than likely not going to vote anyway.
That’s a moot point. You can’t seriously be saying none of the 1.4 million won’t be voting.

Sorry, where was the lie?

Saying that I didn't care about the poor, I do which is why I want the state of federal to pay for it. So again, you lied.

And how much do you want to bet that if attempts were made to donate to get their voting rights back, DeSantis would make every effort to block those donations?

That’s a sucker’s bet.

Really? What legislation was that? But no, you dont get to rationalize your unhinged hatred and rage by pretending its righteous.

Your voterid garbage; the right despises minority votes. Your education policies, which absurdly embrace educating kids about topics without actually giving them full context; your policies on discrimination, which enable people to be discriminated against for your religious beliefs.

There is more.

My unhinged hatred? FFS, I -do- hate Trump's platform, and what he has done to this country. Look at you guys. Can't even accept a fact is a fact.

Republicans create tough on crime laws with the purpose of making as many people ineligible for voting as possible. They know they don't have the numbers to win elections where every citizen gets to cast a vote.

Я Баба Яга [emoji328]

In most states if you are a felon or convicted of a felony you lose the right to vote. most people serving felonies are serving terms. It isn't arbitarrily applied.
florida does not have poll taxes they are unconstitutional.

Word salad.

these are fines in accordance with a judicial sentence. The law states that to get your rights back you must complete your sentence.
that would include any and all fines that were addressed.

Yes, a poll tax. You're putting lipstick on a pig.

yes it is another partisan convenience because that is pretty much all your arguments are.

Your ad hom is unwarranted. I admitted it was on shaky Constitutional ground. You seem unable to comprehend that I can have personal feelings that I also recognize as being Constitutionally feeble.

They tried that it got shot down in courts. states do not have the power to add requirements to federal offices.

I specifically admitted to this.

amendment 4 language:
No. 4 Constitutional Amendment Article VI, Section 4. Voting Restoration Amendment This amendment restores the voting rights of Floridians with felony convictions after they complete all terms of their sentence including parole or probation. The amendment would not apply to those convicted of murder or sexual offenses, who would continue to be permanently barred from voting unless the Governor and Cabinet vote to restore their voting rights on a case by case basis.

It is very clear by the language of the bill that it is all terms of their sentence including parole or probation.
If fines were part of that sentencing then it would include those.

This logic is akin to the disingenuous arguments in favor of voter id laws whose intent are invariably found to repress the votes of those known to vote a particular way.

The correct and not surprising outcome.
Sadly. If constitutional, I must say I disagree. But it is what it is, and as an American I swore to support & defend the entire thing, both that I like and otherwise. And part of that is I defer to SCOTUS. So, here I sit.

Word salad.

Yes, a poll tax. You're putting lipstick on a pig.

Your ad hom is unwarranted. I admitted it was on shaky Constitutional ground. You seem unable to comprehend that I can have personal feelings that I also recognize as being Constitutionally feeble.

I specifically admitted to this.

This logic is akin to the disingenuous arguments in favor of voter id laws whose intent are invariably found to repress the votes of those known to vote a particular way.

your constant dishonesty doesn't help you here.
i gave you the amendment word for word it says that they must complete ALL of their sentence including parole and or terms.
ALL is ALL and that is ALL.

It's a poll tax. Someone is paying for it.

And yes, I have been to Florida. It's a geriatric infested dumpster that is sold on the Trump train. I have no interest in it as a state.

There is no poll tax.
A poll tax is a tax applied to everyone to register to vote.

in florida there is no tax to register to vote.
been here 15 some years never paid a tax to register to vote.

so why do you continue to lie?

your constant dishonesty doesn't help you here.

You mean like where I specifically admitted where my personal feelings ran counter to the Constitution?

i gave you the amendment word for word it says that they must complete ALL of their sentence including parole and or terms.
ALL is ALL and that is ALL.

Yes, and that is the same basic logic used to defend voter id laws. Intent matters, and that's why voter id laws are routinely shot down.

Saying that I didn't care about the poor, I do which is why I want the state of federal to pay for it. So again, you lied.

I never made that claim. Doesnt that make you the one lying?

There is no poll tax.
A poll tax is a tax applied to everyone to register to vote.

in florida there is no tax to register to vote.
been here 15 some years never paid a tax to register to vote.

so why do you continue to lie?

Doesn't it suck to live in a state where a voter referendum is ignored by republican authoritarians?

It's almost like they're telling you they don't give a **** about you, or anyone in your state, and will do whatever they want without regard to your vote.

Your voterid garbage; the right despises minority votes. Your education policies, which absurdly embrace educating kids about topics without actually giving them full context; your policies on discrimination, which enable people to be discriminated against for your religious beliefs.
Thats all nonsense.

There is more.

My unhinged hatred? FFS, I -do- hate Trump's platform, and what he has done to this country. Look at you guys. Can't even accept a fact is a fact.
The country is doing better than it ever has. So your unhinged hatred is completely unjustified.

Doesn't it suck to live in a state where a voter referendum is ignored by republican authoritarians?

It's almost like they're telling you they don't give a **** about you, or anyone in your state, and will do whatever they want without regard to your vote.

here is the amendment word for word.

No. 4 Constitutional Amendment Article VI, Section 4. Voting Restoration Amendment This amendment restores the voting rights of Floridians with felony convictions after they complete all terms of their sentence including parole or probation. The amendment would not apply to those convicted of murder or sexual offenses, who would continue to be permanently barred from voting unless the Governor and Cabinet vote to restore their voting rights on a case by case basis.

i actually voted for this amendment. i thought it was a good thing.

here is the amendment word for word.

i actually voted for this amendment. i thought it was a good thing.

Of course you did, and of course you do. Because republicans endlessly embrace their side wilfully smashing democracy at any chance they get.

You mean like where I specifically admitted where my personal feelings ran counter to the Constitution?
Yes, and that is the same basic logic used to defend voter id laws. Intent matters, and that's why voter id laws are routinely shot down.

Sorry i don't believe dead people should be able to vote do you?
if you think dead people should be able to vote what is your reasoning behind it?

this has nothing to do with voter id though so it is nothing more than a red herring.

Of course you did, and of course you do. Because republicans endlessly embrace their side wilfully smashing democracy at any chance they get.

so allowing felons to get their right to vote back is smashing democracy?
please explain.

I never made that claim. Doesnt that make you the one lying?

You said:

Sorry, I thought you cared about disenfranchisement of American voters. Seems you only care about those who vote for your tribe. My bad.

So since I care about all voters what you said was a lie.

Sorry i don't believe dead people should be able to vote do you?

That disingenuous argument is 100% transparent, and is why those id laws are routinely shot down. Just because you make a stupid argument doesn't mean everybody else is required to be stupid.

if you think dead people should be able to vote what is your reasoning behind it?

this has nothing to do with voter id though so it is nothing more than a red herring.

so allowing felons to get their right to vote back is smashing democracy?
please explain.

Except we all know if...just say for example...Michael Bloomberg were to pay every single ex-felon's fines in order to reinstate their voting rights, Florida would immediately create a new law to block that effort. And that's because the motives for Florida's new law is as transparent as voter id laws.

Back
Top Bottom