• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Did the Tea Party become MAGA?

?

• Total voters
"Political Extremism"... always the other guy. Never your guy.
I don't have a guy. However, if you're implying that Biden is a political extremist, that's patently false. On the first world political scale, he would be center right at the most. The American scale is skewed significantly to the right. If you argue for programs that the rest of the first world enacted many decades ago, you're considered to be far left on our scale.

No, that's the way they debate, draw a comparison, make the other side no better than yourselves.

But there is a better side.

Just not as good as you would wish.
I don't think you get the meaning of the drawing.
The "sides" is a myth. We are the people that keep putting the SAME people in the tower over and over and over because we are all, collectively, too stupid and brainwashed to not see both are our enemies.

Not so. The original Tea Party, before it was usurped by the Karl Rove-Koch Bro. types was commendable. Whether you agreed with it or not they used a carefree, a bit goofy but kind of spirit, approach to bring a legitimate thinking to the table.

Unfortunately that usurping took place really early in its process. The real Tea Party was rather short lived.

I don't know man, I saw ''Obama as a Witch Doctor'' posters and a bunch of Christian nationalists at some of these first rallies, when was it co-opted? Day 2? Shouldn't the people who started this movement take ownership for letting it get co-opted?

Wasn't the first Tea Party protest started by Ron Paul and he turned out to be an Anti-Seminite?

Seems like there was a seed of corruption from the start with the Tea Party, that bloomed into a corrupt weed.

Like woke...
Are you triggered by the word or idea of Woke?

MAGA are the traitorous followers of Donald Trump who believe in Qanon conspiracy theories.

I don't think you get the meaning of the drawing.
The "sides" is a myth. We are the people that keep putting the SAME people in the tower over and over and over because we are all, collectively, too stupid and brainwashed to not see both are our enemies.
Aanahwah, no, only one side is rotten.

The side that didn't pass immigration, or fund Ukraine, that cuts revenue and then screams about spending.

Biden is not our enemy, so is it unto you, your man is the enemy.

Voted "yes", and mainly because much of the grievance politics which fueled the Tea Party are also found in the MAGA movement.
Agreed. It’s the same reactionary element amongst Republicans. The actual specifics of policy are irrelevant. Deficits only matter under Democrat presidents. Wars are only bad when Democrats support them. Corporations, the military, intelligence agencies, the FBI, veterans, the post office, free trade, etc. The same reactionary right has flipped flopped on all these things over the last 20 years.

Say what you will, but most of the tea party members are now out of congress, retired. Here’s what happened to a lot of them.

Rob Bishop, Utah (retired in 2020)

Phil Roe, Tennessee (retired in 2020)

Kenny Marchant, Texas (retired in 2020)

Ted Yoho, Florida (retired in 2020)

Steve King, Iowa (defeated in 2020 primary by Randy Feenstra)

Joe Barton, Texas (retired in 2018)

Diane Black, Tennessee (ran for Governor in 2018, lost in primary)

Ander Crenshaw, Florida (retired in 2016)

Stephen Fincher, Tennessee (retired in 2016)

Marlin Stutzman, Indiana[62] (retired in 2016)

Michele Bachmann, Minnesota (retired in 2014; ran for Republican nomination during 2012 presidential election)

Paul Broun, Georgia (ran for U.S. Senate in 2014, lost in primary)

Bill Cassidy, Louisiana (ran for U.S. Senate in 2014, won in runoff)

Howard Coble, North Carolina

Mike Coffman, Colorado

John Culberson, Texas

Blake Farenthold, Texas (resigned in 2018)

John Fleming, Louisiana (ran for U.S. Senate in 2016, lost in jungle primary)

Phil Gingrey, Georgia (ran for U.S. Senate in 2014, lost in primary)

Louie Gohmert, Texas (ran for Texas Attorney General in 2022, lost in primary)

Vicky Hartzler, Missouri (ran for U.S. Senate in 2022, lost in primary)

Tim Huelskamp, Kansas (lost 2016 Republican primary to Roger Marshall)

Lynn Jenkins, Kansas (retired in 2018)

David McKinley, West Virginia (Lost Renomination)

Gary Miller, California

Randy Neugebauer, Texas (retired in 2016)

Steve Pearce, New Mexico

Ted Poe, Texas (retired in 2018)

Steven Palazzo, (Lost Renomination in 2022)

Dennis A. Ross, Florida (retired)

Pete Sessions, Texas

Lamar S. Smith, Texas (retired in 2018)

Ed Royce, California (retired in 2018)

Tom Price, Georgia (nominated and confirmed in 2017 as Secretary of Health and Human Services)

Mick Mulvaney South Carolina (Director of Office of Management & Budget (OMB), confirmed February 16, 2017.)

Lynn Westmoreland, Georgia (retired in 2016)
It’s sad that while the Tea Party denounced violence, the MAGA movement has embraced it.

Thankfully, all those folks you mentioned cashed out while manipulating America for the super rich before the right openly embraced terrorism.

How does that compare to the natural background rate of Congressional retirements?
There are usually 35-40 members of congress who don’t seek reelection due to retirements or running for other office in any given year. That includes members of both parties. Usually when a party looks like they’ll lose control of the house, there are more not seeking reelection of the majority party soon to become the minority. So far this year there are 41 U.S. House members not seeking re-election:

12 running for the U.S. Senate—three Republicans and nine Democrats.

Two running for state attorney general—one Democrat and one Republican.

Two running for governor—one Democrat and one Republican.

One Democrat is running for President of the United States.

24 retiring from office—11 Democrats and 13 Republicans.

How the tea party and their retirements or seeking other offices in any given year stack up to the normal incumbents not seeking reelection is hard to say. But this gives you something to compare to. I don’t know, I never been a tea party fan.

The Tea Party movement started out with a worthy cause, getting government spending under control.

It started to gain some political momentum, so the right wing piled a bunch of other right wing causes on it.

Then the left wing saw that it was gaining some political momentum, so they piled a bunch of other right wing causes on it.

It was finally smothered under a mountain of right wing causes. Which is a shame, because government spending desperately needs to be gotten under control.
1711215839645.png

If she knows any gay guys or sexually sophisticated straight couples she ought to ask what 'teabagging' means.

The reason you see MAGA everywhere is because the left media plasters it everywhere.
Hell Joe Biden says it all the time.
I would wager that if you could measure how many times the word "Maga" is said in the media - a left media person says it at minimum 20 to 1 for how many times a right media says it.

If you don't like it - stop obsessing over it.
Your MAGA is weak.

You don’t hear so much about the Tea Party anymore. The main issue they cared about was government spending. There are certainly still plenty of budget hawks around. I don't see the Tea Party as a rallying point as much as I do MAGA related vernacular.

Did the Tea Party naturally evolve into the reactionary movement known as MAGA?
Yep, the tea baggers are pretty much Trump suckers these days. New master; same ole' ignorance. Still dangerous, though.

I dunno. Saying,"MAGA" does seem to be more "civil" than saying "Dickwad."

It shows that people are trying to be polite.

Civility a must.

You don’t hear so much about the Tea Party anymore. The main issue they cared about was government spending. There are certainly still plenty of budget hawks around. I don't see the Tea Party as a rallying point as much as I do MAGA related vernacular.

Yes and no.

As a source of policy, they have little in common. Tea Party was very strictly focused on reducing government spending. MAGA in contrast has no specific policy position, it being a personality cult and therefore adopting whatever Donald Trump is thinking about at the moment.

However, elements carried over. The habit of riling up a base using baseless conspiracy theories (“Birther!”) was honed to a sharp edge in the Tea Party. The “we can’t book a win unless the liberals lose” mindset was hardened to stone in the Tea Party. The “norms are bad; having a loud mouth is good” culture was institutionalized in the Tea Party.

Joe the Plumber could be described as a forefather to today’s Marjorie, for example.

So while I don’t think Tea Party became MAGA, it certainly was an important mechanism that radicalized have-not conservatives and put them in a position to be grifted en masse within MAGA.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as MAGA's.
It is a made up term to describe anyone who is not pro everything the left supports.
I do not support Donald Trump, never did. I have been called MAGA here already, and many times before.
It is a broad-stroked, meaningless term.
If you do not support MAGA then you are by definition RINO. This is the term that Donald expects MAGA to use when referring to those such as yourself. I personally hold many RINOs in great esteem.

Other. There is likely some overlap (common support), but federal deficit spending didn’t decrease during Trump’s term in office.
The rules are that all Democratic party legislation must pay for itself (spending offsets) despite none, to a tiny fraction of Republicans voting for it anyway, or in the example of the infrastructure bill, refusing to vote for it if IRS funding or tax increases were included to fully fund it.

Republican approved legislation has no deficit protection requirement.

Last edited:

Yes, of course. Trump's indicted Chief of Staff, one, Mark Meadows, former tea bagger congressional darling of North Carolina is just one example.

If you do not support MAGA then you are by definition RINO. This is the term that Donald expects MAGA to use when referring to those such as yourself. I personally hold many RINOs in great esteem.
I am me.
Who is currently very disillusioned with the entire apparatus that has first infected the host, then took over everything.
We are no longer a Democratic Republic. Have not been since the 1990s.
We are a corporatocracy wearing the cloak of a Democratic Republic.

I am 59. Old enough to remember this country before corporations took over everything.
People less than 50, do not remember anything else other than what is.
That is very unfortunate.

I am me.
Who is currently very disillusioned with the entire apparatus that has first infected the host, then took over everything.
We are no longer a Democratic Republic. Have not been since the 1990s.
We are a corporatocracy wearing the cloak of a Democratic Republic.

I am 59. Old enough to remember this country before corporations took over everything.
People less than 50, do not remember anything else other than what is.
That is very unfortunate.
Personally, I find this post adorable. The whole “corporations didn’t run everything when I was a little boy!” bit is particularly endearing. Why do you say the same thing today that 59 year olds did in 1990, that they did in 1970, and that they did in 1950? Is it that you get to a certain age and assume some new boogeyman is wrecking your life? Or is this more of a “I’m at a certain age and don’t like how things turned out for me, so I’m going to blame the Globalists and Deep State!” thing?

Personally, I find this post adorable. The whole “corporations didn’t run everything when I was a little boy” bit is particularly endearing. Why do you say the same thing today that 59 year olds did in 1990, that they did in 1970, and that they did in 1950?
There you are with the term "adorable" again.
Assuming a superior position, that you have neither shown or earned.
When I was young, about 80% of every business in this city was locally or regionally owned.
Today - lucky if it is 20%.
By the year 2000, every town became Anytown, USA. The same everywhere.
The benefit of production has concentrated into fewer and fewer and fewer individuals... you know... that 1% that everyone talks about.
America is slowly turning into sort of like China... where towns and smaller cities are becoming economic wastelands, because all of the ownership of everything is concentrated in the cities.

I blame Independents who in 2016 gave us MAGA-Putin-Trump and all the chaos and destruction we've had since. Without those Independent voters who made the profoundly negative difference in 2016 America and the world would be their normal self of normal tensions and normal anxieties sans the madhouse cruelty we've got.

I blame Independents who in 2016 gave us MAGA-Putin-Trump and all the chaos and destruction we've had since. Without those Independent voters who made the profoundly negative difference in 2016 America and the world would be their normal self of normal tensions and normal anxieties sans the madhouse cruelty we've got.
The election between Hillary and Trump was the first election I did not vote.
I could not bring myself to vote for either one. But when Trump won, I was at least happy it wasn't the uber-elitist, arguably the most corrupt person in Washington who won.
I voted for Trump against Biden, because I did not want non elected zealots running the executive branch. Which is exactly what happened, and look at us now.

This country desperately needs a unifier. A unifier that cares more about the country than himself/herself, their connections and wealth/power they can bring to themselves and their families.
Trump is a divider. Biden is a divider. So either way, the dividing cliff between ourselves is going to get wider still till we finally break as a nation.
Surely to God - you can see this.

I'd say yes, because it's a natural evolution of those who were completely dissatisfied with the status quo. I've been critical of the Democratic Party ever since the Tea Party movement because they clearly decided at that time to move away from being a moderate-oriented party and switched over to kissing the asses of coastal elites and big doner money. The abandonment of middle American left them waiting for a Trump to swoop in and take advantage of their anger. It was and remains a glaring mistake and missed opportunity by the Democrats to easily become the dominant party for years to come following the W. Bush debacle of a presidency.

I'd say yes, because it's a natural evolution of those who were completely dissatisfied with the status quo. I've been critical of the Democratic Party ever since the Tea Party movement because they clearly decided at that time to move away from being a moderate-oriented party and switched over to kissing the asses of coastal elites and big doner money. The abandonment of middle American left them waiting for a Trump to swoop in and take advantage of their anger. It was and remains a glaring mistake and missed opportunity by the Democrats to easily become the dominant party for years to come following the W. Bush debacle of a presidency.
Yay!... someone making sense.
I was beginning to wonder.

Hillary was a massive mistake. She is unelectable. Most people cannot stand her, because most people can see her for who she is. A viper.
Trump would have been pounded into sand by almost any other candidate. But instead the Democrats chose the queen of corruption, and all the things you describe. And enough Democrat voters saw it, didn't want it.

And it may very well happen again.
I said it 7 years ago. The Democrats gave America Trump. And they may very well do it again.
The corrupt DNC is actually going to allow Biden to run again. Probably the only person viable that Trump can beat.
They have learned nothing.

The election between Hillary and Trump was the first election I did not vote.
I could not bring myself to vote for either one. But when Trump won, I was at least happy it wasn't the uber-elitist, arguably the most corrupt person in Washington who won.
I voted for Trump against Biden, because I did not want non elected zealots running the executive branch. Which is exactly what happened, and look at us now.

This country desperately needs a unifier. A unifier that cares more about the country than himself/herself, their connections and wealth/power they can bring to themselves and their families.
Trump is a divider. Biden is a divider. So either way, the dividing cliff between ourselves is going to get wider still till we finally break as a nation.
Surely to God - you can see this.
What did Trump do in the past four years that means despite supoortng him in 2020 after four years of seeing him in action, you cannot support him now?

Back
Top Bottom