• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Did the Tea Party become MAGA?

?

• Total voters

Winston

Give me convenience or give me death
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
You don’t hear so much about the Tea Party anymore. The main issue they cared about was government spending. There are certainly still plenty of budget hawks around. I don't see the Tea Party as a rallying point as much as I do MAGA related vernacular.

Did the Tea Party naturally evolve into the reactionary movement known as MAGA?

The reason you see MAGA everywhere is because the left media plasters it everywhere.
Hell Joe Biden says it all the time.
I would wager that if you could measure how many times the word "Maga" is said in the media - a left media person says it at minimum 20 to 1 for how many times a right media says it.

If you don't like it - stop obsessing over it.

The reason you see MAGA everywhere is because the left media plasters it everywhere.
I would wager that if you could measure how many times the word "Maga" is said in the media - a left media person says it at minimum 20 to 1 for how many times a right media says it.

Its a good descriptive term.

Putting you down for a ‘no’ vote

Like woke...
Perhaps. People tend to use woke in a way that it has no real definition. Maybe people who support Trump see the term MAGA in the same way.

Perhaps. People tend to use woke in a way that it has no real definition. Maybe people who support Trump see the term MAGA in the same way.
Yes... exactly like they say MAGA.
Woke is an old term that the right morphed into another meaning. MAGA is also an older term that Trump borrowed, and then the left morphed it into meaning whatever they wanted it to be.

Exactly the same.

Yes... exactly like they say MAGA.
Woke is an old term that the right morphed into another meaning. MAGA is also an older term that Trump borrowed, and then the left morphed it into meaning whatever they wanted it to be.

Exactly the same.
Interesting comparison.

Interesting comparison.
divide2.jpg

I do agree that we need to be focused on reducing the size of the Gini Index in this country and that the billionaires are fueling a lot of pointless fights over social issues so they can make more money.
BTW - unless it is someone else using slartibartfest as a login somewhere else... pretty dang sure I have saw you somewhere else out there.

BTW - unless it is someone else using slartibartfest as a login somewhere else... pretty dang sure I have saw you somewhere else out there.
I adopted this moniker a couple of months ago and only use it on this website. It doesn't surprise me other people are using it though as the name comes from a popular science fiction book.

Other. There is likely some overlap (common support), but federal deficit spending didn’t decrease during Trump’s term in office.

Other. There is likely some overlap (common support), but federal deficit spending didn’t decrease during Trump’s term in office.
Well to be fair, he unleashed a $2 trillion enormous Covid giveaway.
Without that, he would have still been a high spending President.
No one ever thought he was going to be on par with the runaway spending of Obama.
And Biden is on his way to make his mark as well.

People love to bitch about it. But only if it is the other guy doing it.

Well to be fair, he unleashed a $2 trillion enormous Covid giveaway.
Without that, he would have still been a high spending President.
No one ever thought he was going to be on par with the runaway spending of Obama.
And Biden is on his way to make his mark as well.

People love to bitch about it. But only if it is the other guy doing it.

The federal “budget” deficit increased every year under Trump.

The federal “budget” deficit increased every year under Trump.
Only reason it didn't one year of Bidens is so damn much was spent the year before on the continued covid over-reaction.
And then he claimed he "cut the deficit"... which was disingenuous to say the least.

You don’t hear so much about the Tea Party anymore. The main issue they cared about was government spending. There are certainly still plenty of budget hawks around. I don't see the Tea Party as a rallying point as much as I do MAGA related vernacular.

The Tea Party was founded in 2009 which attained their most strength in 2010. They had 48 house members. In 2011 15 GOP senators formed their own version of a Tea Party caucus. But by 2016 the Tea party was basically dead. Down to 12 house members with 5 senators. The Tea Party faded away.

Since basically the Tea Party ceased to exist around 2016 or a bit after, there’s no way it could have transformed into MAGA. Most of the remaining Tea Party members joined the Freedom Caucus.

Rush Limbaugh's audience became MAGA. That is why Trump awarded him our highest civilian honor.

Only reason it didn't one year of Bidens is so damn much was spent the year before on the continued covid over-reaction.
And then he claimed he "cut the deficit"... which was disingenuous to say the least.

The US debt/deficit increased $8 trillion under Donald Trump

The US debt/deficit increased $8 trillion under Donald Trump

I said that already.... not sure what that has to do with Biden lying about cutting the deficit... but yeah.

I said that already.... not sure what that has to do with Biden lying about cutting the deficit... but yeah.

Lied about the deficit in your "conservative" opinion.

The debt/deficit numbers racked up by Donald Trump are enormous, eclipsed only by George W. Bush and Abraham Lincoln.

The Tea Party movement started out with a worthy cause, getting government spending under control.

It started to gain some political momentum, so the right wing piled a bunch of other right wing causes on it.

Then the left wing saw that it was gaining some political momentum, so they piled a bunch of other right wing causes on it.

It was finally smothered under a mountain of right wing causes. Which is a shame, because government spending desperately needs to be gotten under control.

Did the Tea Party ever really exist aside from an astroturfing campaign? It imploded as soon as the Koch oligarchs turned off the money spigot.

So what should we call MAGAs then? Don’t say Republicans, because the real Republicans might take issue with that.

Back
Top Bottom