• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Did the “send her back” chant go too far?

Did the “send her back” chant go too far?

• Total voters
We both know that no matter what he said about it, it wouldn’t be enough for anyone who already hates him but I’m glad he didn’t try to defend it.

I agree 1000% what ever he does the left will pounce and try to make it the worst thing ever!
Politics on super steroids. ;)

I’m mainly interested in what my fellow righties have to say, but of course anyone can vote. I hadn’t heard or read about it until this morning. IMO, yeah, I think it went too far and I’m glad the President made it clear he didn’t agree with it. It is one thing to suggest that someone leave the country on their own because they seem to intensely dislike it here, but chanting to “send her back,” presumably involuntarily, because we don’t like what she said? That’s not good and we shouldn’t defend it.

Attaching poll.

Omar & AOC don't know who to call racist next, first they laballed Pelosi racist, then Trump
racist whose next, or better yet who cares! A fellow poster hit the nail on the head when he
offered, 'soon enough the term racist will lose its power and become a compliment when coming from OMAR.
The libcommies will have lost one of their few weapons.'

I don't think Trump should have fingered his supporters in the crowd, I think he'll change the so called
apology tomorrow. Independent voters dismal 9% approval of Omar was what Trump was getting at &
with the crowd of Trump supporters her support must be far less dwindling to about 4% IMO.

Trump spends a few minutes railing against her.. being a demagogue and then acts surprised when his followers respond.. priceless.

There’s nothing wrong with “railing against her” in and of itself.

Trump's not agreeing with the chant would have meant much more if last night he had snapped as he heard it, "Now just stop that crap right now" instead of commenting today.

Whether it was the f-bomb chants against Trump or this, it's uncivil and beneath.

Just not in the DNA! “.....don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows..........”

Whether it was the f-bomb chants against Trump or this, it's uncivil and beneath.

That's a sad false equivalence. You ignore all of the social issues, the anti-American foundation of the chant, the bigotry inherent.

A bar full of drunken sports fans chanting "**** authority" is not the same thing as anti-American chants being led by lies about a Congressperson from the President.

As far as being American, they're opposites.

Last edited:
Too far. She is a US citizen, first and foremost, and as such, has a right to have her own horrible ideas and beliefs about proper governance.

Plenty of crusty old dudes on the political right have horrible ideas, too.

There’s nothing wrong with “railing against her” in and of itself.

Yeah, but there is something very much troubling with the way he decided to go about it and the kind of people he encouraged doing it.

Now look, I'm not some uber sjw, I've literally been here 5 years, check in regularly, but very rarely write comments. But this is reaching a dangerous line.

Most of us who are against this just want his supporters (the only people he will ever listen to) to keep him accountable on this kind of stuff. In 2016, this was said to just be hyped up campaign rhetoric, but then it never stopped, and now it's gotten to this point.

Sincerely, things start to get dangerous because there are more than enough unhinged people who hear these calls and go off on them.

By not saying to American citizens to go back where they came from.

Then it's not "going too far", it's simply unacceptable. To characterize it as going too far is apology; it pretends there's a legitimate basis.

Then it's not "going too far", it's simply unacceptable. To characterize it as going too far is apology; that pretends there's a legitimate basis.

Right, acknowledging it goes too far and saying it shouldn’t be defended is being an apologist for it. :lol:

Right, acknowledging it goes too far and saying it shouldn’t be defended is being an apologist for it. :lol:

How might one express the sentiment in a way that does not go too far?

By not saying to American citizens to go back where they came from.

Apparently, to Eco, you agreeing that it goes too far is just the same as saying you totally agree with the chant.

Apparently, to Eco, you agreeing that it goes too far is just the same as saying you totally agree with the chant.

I'm still waiting for you to explain how one might express the sentiment in a way that doesn't go too far.

How might one express the sentiment in a way that does not go too far?

There are any number of ways to chant anti-Omar sentiment (which is not inherently bad) that doesn’t include packaging her up and sending her somewhere.

There are any number of ways to chant anti-Omar sentiment that doesn’t include packaging her up and sending her somewhere.

You can't drop context. That's apology.

How can one express the sentiment of the chant in a way that does not go too far? Maybe "she doesn't belong here"?

Yeah, but there is something very much troubling with the way he decided to go about it and the kind of people he encouraged doing it.

Now look, I'm not some uber sjw, I've literally been here 5 years, check in regularly, but very rarely write comments. But this is reaching a dangerous line.

Most of us who are against this just want his supporters (the only people he will ever listen to) to keep him accountable on this kind of stuff. In 2016, this was said to just be hyped up campaign rhetoric, but then it never stopped, and now it's gotten to this point.

Sincerely, things start to get dangerous because there are more than enough unhinged people who hear these calls and go off on them.

It started off ridiculous, but it's certainly been getting worse. And this new line that people who don't like it should get out and the fervor that propaganda has generated is becoming dangerous.

I’m mainly interested in what my fellow righties have to say, but of course anyone can vote. I hadn’t heard or read about it until this morning. IMO, yeah, I think it went too far and I’m glad the President made it clear he didn’t agree with it. It is one thing to suggest that someone leave the country on their own because they seem to intensely dislike it here, but chanting to “send her back,” presumably involuntarily, because we don’t like what she said? That’s not good and we shouldn’t defend it.

Attaching poll.

Absolutely. An extremely cringe-worthy, horrible moment.

Yup that went to far... Even for a political rally!

Ryan Saavedra
‏Verified account @RealSaavedra

President Donald Trump denounces the “send her back” chant: “I disagree with it… I felt a little bit badly about it… I was not happy with it, I disagree with it”

Ryan Saavedra on Twitter: "President Donald Trump denounces the “send her back” chant: “I disagree with it… I felt a little bit badly about it… I was not happy with it, I disagree with it”

This is an excellent move by @realDonaldTrump… https://t.co/woepM8ewk5"

Pretty thin. He not only agreed with it, he started it himself and doubled-down on it later.
This is going to get bad. Very bad.

There are any number of ways to chant anti-Omar sentiment (which is not inherently bad) that doesn’t include packaging her up and sending her somewhere.

What was wrong with simply saying “I may disagree with what Representative Omar said, but she has the right to say it.”

Pretty thin. He not only agreed with it, he started it himself and doubled-down on it later.
This is going to get bad. Very bad.

Yes, it could, especially if expressing disagreement with it is basically rejected.

What was wrong with simply saying “I may disagree with what Representative Omar said, but she has the right to say it.”

We don't say those sorts of things anymore. It's all about vilifying the other side as much as possible in order to look "good" by contrast.

She makes herself a convenient target. Not sure what she expects. She seems to get away with her hateful rhetoric. Why again does she deserve special privilege? Did the crowd get carried away? Of course. Do they have the right to be frustrated with the Omarites? Of course. All the nastiness coming from the left, and it is a bleep on the radar. When it comes from Trump's corner, the PC warriors come out in force. Having said that, I think both sides should cool their britches, grow up and show some mutual respect. I don't like this lack of decorum from anyone. I don't like hypocrisy either.
Ah, the "both sides" defense. Good one lovebug.

Nothing wrong with it but she’s not owed anything any other politician has do deal with.

He said he wasn’t happy with it. That’s pretty clear.

He's only unhappy because the WH was flooded with complaints by Republicans who know they're being defined by his white nationalist rallies. At the time he loved every second of it.

Back
Top Bottom