• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Death projections are down from 90k to 80k now to 60k

Nobody did great. Smaller populations garnered less deaths. Less infections. No no one is happy with this virus on the loose. The dead do not care about your politics. They are still dead.

South Korea: 4 deaths per 1 million and they barely register any daily deaths for a while now
USA: 54 deaths per 1 million and we still rack up a lot of deaths every day

Nobody did great. Smaller populations garnered less deaths. Less infections. No no one is happy with this virus on the loose. The dead do not care about your politics. They are still dead.

That's not how a virus works. Besides, per capita deaths still make you very wrong. You should check the math on concepts before randomly spewing them into the void.

South Korea: 4 deaths per 1 million and they barely register any daily deaths for a while now

We were 4 deaths/1 million pop on Mar 26. We've been climbing the per capita list since.

Do you think the dead care?

That's not how a virus works. Besides, per capita deaths still make you very wrong. You should check the math on concepts before randomly spewing them into the void.

Really? Smaller populations do not garner less deaths? Viruses infect more when populations are living more densely. Per capita comparisons speak nothing when leaving out other salient data of import. I can guarantee you there are less deaths per capita in northern Saskatchewan. You should check some common sense before randomly spewing nonsense into the void.

Are the reductions in the projections following the data or political fiat? I don't believe the data supports the lowering of the number.

Really? Smaller populations do not garner less deaths? Viruses infect more when populations are living more densely. Per capita comparisons speak nothing when leaving out other salient data of import. I can guarantee you there are less deaths per capita in northern Saskatchewan. You should check some common sense before randomly spewing nonsense into the void.

You didn't compare population density, you compared population.

South Korea has a higher population density than the United States.

You didn't compare population density, you compared population.

South Korea has a higher population density than the United States.

And the discussion was about progress of the infection, not per capita differences.

South Korea does not have greater population density than NYC or Los Angelos, not even that of New Orleans. Seoul has the population density equal to that of Greenwich Connecticut when viewed as population per sq mile of living quarters footage. I haven't played craps since I mustered out.

Do you think the dead care?

In South Korea, I think the alive ones care that they are not dead.

In USA, I think families of the dead ones care that their loved ones could have been alive if it were not for Trump mismanagement.

South Korea does not have greater population density than NYC...

Correct.

Population Density...
NYC: 26,403 people per square mile
Seoul: 17,000 people per square kilometer
Dallas: 3,645 people per square mile

South Korea is extremely small areawise and easy to manage if you just shut it down. USA is vastly bigger and more spread out. But to your point, it's a damn shame Cuomo and De Blasio botched New York which accounts for about half the illnesses and deaths. Once again red state America has to bail out blue.

South Korea is extremely small areawise and easy to manage if you just shut it down. USA is vastly bigger and more spread out.

Yes another dumb point from Mashmont. NYC is much smaller than South Korea. Shutting something down is not based on the land occupied.

But to your point, it's a damn shame Cuomo and De Blasio botched New York which accounts for about half the illnesses and deaths. Once again red state America has to bail out blue.

Yeah, they had to fly blind thanks to Trump who is leading this disaster across the country... Err... not really leading - just dumped it all on other people after failing to take care of testing / tracing / PPE and other supplies.

Very good question. The New York metro area, which includes parts of New Jersey, is the perfect breeding ground for a common cold virus, and this virus is especially dangerous. N.Y. has experienced a cold, wet winter that lasted for four months. Older people, the homeless, and the poor dominate the downtown area, and they rely on public transportation. A dangerous virus is easily past on from person to person. Many probably didn't know what hit them.

Total deaths in three and a half months in the U.S. is 16,548. 7,067 are in New York, 1,700 in New Jersey, 1,076 in Michigan, and 702 in Louisiana for a total of 10,545. That leaves 6,003 for the other 46 states. That is the normal death rate among the old, the sick, the poor, and the homeless for 46 states.

There were 2,017 new deaths yesterday. 1,310 deaths occurred in the four coldest states in the country during the winter months, New York, New Jersey, Michigan, and Massachusetts. 707 occurred in the other 46 states.

To put this in perspective, California with a population of over 39 million, the largest state in terms of population, had 31 deaths yesterday.

Scientists may finally be able to confirm the widely-held suspicion that bad weather can make you sick.

While the common cold’s name seems to imply that cold weather is responsible for the nose-running, throat-burning misery, the scientific community has been unable to establish exactly how a chill in the air might lead to the sniffles—until now. Just last week, a team of scientists from Yale University announced their discovery that lower temperatures weaken the [body's] first line of immune defenses.

Scientists Finally Prove Why Cold Weather Makes You Sick | NOVA | PBS | NOVA | PBS

Yes another dumb point from Mashmont. NYC is much smaller than South Korea. Shutting something down is not based on the land occupied.

Yeah, they had to fly blind thanks to Trump who is leading this disaster across the country... Err... not really leading - just dumped it all on other people after failing to take care of testing / tracing / PPE and other supplies.

Don't look now, but the virus is fizzling. Trump must have done a great job despite the ineptitude of Cuomo and De Blasio. Leftwingers are just incompetent as leaders.

In South Korea, I think the alive ones care that they are not dead.

In USA, I think families of the dead ones care that their loved ones could have been alive if it were not for Trump mismanagement.

And as a politician, you would have managed better, which is why you are in the Oval Office.

I don't care how loudly my wife screams when she's seated in the backseat of my car.

Don't look now, but the virus is fizzling. Trump must have done a great job despite the ineptitude of Cuomo and De Blasio. Leftwingers are just incompetent as leaders.

Trump: dumped it all on other people after failing to take care of testing / tracing / PPE and other supplies. Downplayed virus for many weeks and never encouraged lockdowns. Installed censorship tzar Pence over healthcare folks and mostly concerned about his image.

Cuomo: slow by but locked down the state and fighting hard for actually managing the crisis and fight it out with other states as well as the Feds for the missing PPEs, supplies, ventilators. Transparent.

Mashmont: credit Trump for virus fizzling, blame Cuomo for virus having done the damage.

2 weeks ago:

Remember Mashmont's predictions, people. Only 10,400 deaths, max. Only 130,000 COVID cases, max. This wouldn't make a garden variety flu season. Can you say hoax?

Can you say Cult?

And as a politician, you would have managed better, which is why you are in the Oval Office.

I don't care how loudly my wife screams when she's seated in the backseat of my car.

The guy in the Oval Office is not there because he is a good manager but because he fooled you and created a Cult out of apparently OldFatGuy's like you, who have your wives "seated" in the back.

The guy in the Oval Office is not there because he is a good manager but because he fooled you and created a Cult out of apparently OldFatGuy's like you, who have your wives "seated" in the back.

He didn't fool me even tho he was the lesser of two evils. Only chumps make assumptions.

Let me know when you make it to the oval office. My wife usually drives, I sit in the back seat, with my eyes shut wide.

He didn't fool me even tho he was the lesser of two evils. Only chumps make assumptions.

Let me know when you make it to the oval office.

What makes you think I would want to? Only chumps make assumptions.

It blew past YOUR projections.

It's currently the most deadly disease in the United States, killing more people per day than heart disease or cancer. (the previous #1 and #2) Over two thousand a day now.

Yesterday our cases passed 500,000.

We have the highest known infection count on the planet. (although probably actually #2 behind China)

Trump spent weeks telling people it's fine, don't worry, we need to go about business as usual to help the stock market. He was one of the last people in the country to start taking this seriously.

The virus' growth is slowing BECAUSE WE LOCKED DOWN. NO OTHER REASON.

It blew past YOUR projections.

It's currently the most deadly disease in the United States, killing more people per day than heart disease or cancer. (the previous #1 and #2) Over two thousand a day now.

Yesterday our cases passed 500,000.

We have the highest known infection count on the planet. (although probably actually #2 behind China)

Trump spent weeks telling people it's fine, don't worry, we need to go about business as usual to help the stock market. He was one of the last people in the country to start taking this seriously.

The virus' growth is slowing BECAUSE WE LOCKED DOWN. NO OTHER REASON.

We'll over half these CV deaths were actually heart attacks, strokes, and other events. They're just counting everything as CV because that's where the government money is.

How else do you explain the sudden sharp drop in heart attack and stroke deaths?

They're just counting everything as CV because that's where the government money is.

How else do you explain the sudden sharp drop in heart attack and stroke deaths?

Right wingers keep repeating this as if it's a fact. It's not. You just keep hearing it from people on a message board and now you believe it's true. There is no such drop. The data actually shows the opposite of this. There is a sharp INCREASE in cardiac events!

Right wingers keep repeating this as if it's a fact. It's not. You just keep hearing it from people on a message board and now you believe it's true. There is no such drop. The data actually shows the opposite of this. There is a sharp INCREASE in cardiac events!

Wrong. They are sharply down.

Actually, they're not, but those deaths are being blamed on CV if they test positive in the hospital. That's the point.

The actual death total for CV looks like it will be about 4% of original estimations, and that's will the fluffed up numbers.

If you subtract the over-80 patients with pre-existing conditions, probably less than 10,000 people will die from CV.

Sweden was right.

Great news!

Within a week, US death projections from one of the models used widely (incl by White House) changed from 90k down to 80k and now to 60k.

Earlier range was 40k-180k. New range is 30k-120k.

This shows that stay-at-home measures, now applied to 97% of population, are working.

One explanation I read is that original models assumed 50% of people complied with stay-at-home orders and social distancing whereas in truth 90% do.

Let's keep pushing the projections down! Stay home and away from other people! You are literally saving lives when you do!

Death projections are down from 90k to 80k now to 60k

So maybe then it might go like this?

90k to 80k to 60k to 40k

or

90k to 80k to 60k to 40k to 20k

Stay tune...

Same Bat channel. Same Bat time

Back
Top Bottom