• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Corona in Europe - and also worldwide

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Maybe we can tell each other how things are in our respective countries.

Today I got this per E-Mail:

Starting on Tuesday, March 17th, all schools and Kitas are closed. There are some emergency child services available to children whose parents work in critical jobs, such as in hospitals or in the police force. This excludes most of us. Depending on your job, you may be able to do home office. The projected time of the schools re-opening is after the Easter holidays on April 20th.
All indoor event are cancelled - both big and small - through April 19th.
All movie theaters, museums, theaters, swimming pools, saunas, Volkshochshule, locations with dancing, libraries etc. are closed through April 19th.
Restaurants with no dancing remain open.
The weekly food markets as well as the Karlsruhe Zoo remain open, because these are not in enclosed indoor spaces.

How are things with you?

Last Tuesday I was in Paris and in Alsace.
Just in time before the border checks.

about the same here and while the zoo might be open mostly, all indoor enclosures/parts of the zoo are closed. The zoo thinks the people are smart enough to not crowd each other and in the open air the virus should not spread. Indoors however the zoo is closing due to the more cramped spaces indoor and the risk that someone put their corona claws or corona sneezes and coughs on the glass in front of the exhibits (that is at least what I assume).

It is starting to look like a war zone/closed down zone where the streets are empty and people act like idiots in shops.

The restaurants are closed, even the ones just to pick up food but the restaurants that deliver food are open.

The restaurants are closed, even the ones just to pick up food but the restaurants that deliver food are open.

Here it is like this: Restaurants with no dancing remain open.

I'm due to go on holiday in Germany in 4 weeks time. That's probably not going to happen now.

I'm due to go on holiday in Germany in 4 weeks time. That's probably not going to happen now.

And I wanted to go from Germany to Austria at the end of March.
That may not be possible then, perhaps.

I know.
But just for your information - or FYI:
There are also other countries in Europe beside Spain.
You asked how things are "with you". That, in this manner of address and for YOUR information, means me.

I am in Spain and the corona thread on Spain was, again for YOUR information, started long before yours, probably because you were already in bed by that time.

That there are more countries than Spain in Europe is something I've been aware of, probably since before you were born. Alone on account of, excepting Bulgaria, having travelled every one of them and repeatedly at that.

I'm telling you all of this so that you understand how you can roll your patronizing comments into a wad and sit on it.

:roll:

Here in Belgium all schools, restaurants, cafes, and bars are closed until 5 April. The same in the Nederlands.

Germany has imposed heavy border controls towards Austria, Switzerland, France, Luxembourg and Denmark.

Anyone not showing "reasonable cause" (e.g. trucks, work commuters) is refused entry. Doesn't apply, of course, to Germans returning home, provided the country they traveled (in)to even lets them move.

Meanwhile in the UK at the weekend, Liverpool's half marathon had 6000 runners, the Bath half marathon also went ahead with around 12000 runners, and the Stereophonics play to a sell out gig in Cardiff.

I'm all for the British stiff upper lip, Keep Calm and Carry On, and all that jazz...... BUT REALLY!

As if we haven't annoyed most of Europe these past few years!

Meanwhile in the UK at the weekend, Liverpool's half marathon had 6000 runners, the Bath half marathon also went ahead with around 12000 runners, and the Stereophonics play to a sell out gig in Cardiff.

I'm all for the British stiff upper lip, Keep Calm and Carry On, and all that jazz...... BUT REALLY!

As if we haven't annoyed most of Europe these past few years!
My Sat dish briefly went askew (hoolie blowing here) and I didn't see this til this morning when I fixed the bugger.

Mad dogs and Englishmen, eh?

My Sat dish briefly went askew (hoolie blowing here) and I didn't see this til this morning when I fixed the bugger.

Mad dogs and Englishmen, eh?

It's the "I'm alright Jack" attitude of these people that infuriates me.

Sure, these people would certainly more than likely survive the virus, but they aren't considering that they can pass it on to those less capable of fighting it.

It's the "I'm alright Jack" attitude of these people that infuriates me.

Sure, these people would certainly more than likely survive the virus, but they aren't considering that they can pass it on to those less capable of fighting it.
Yeah, it's why I wore a face mask when entering shops today. Not to prevent catching it but to prevent passing it on. I show no signs of having it, but still.

When we look back on this horrible era, I'll remember it more for our behaviour than anything else.

The only instance I can remember anything remotely similar to this was the petrol shortage around 20 years ago, and seeing long queues of cars along the road queuing to fill up.

And that's how it is in Austria:

In a parliamentary session dedicated to the corona crisis, the Austrian government announced today a raft of new and extensive measures to slow the spread of the virus:

Restaurants and bars will be closed from Tuesday, March 17, onwards.
Gatherings are now limited to no more than 5 people (even inside homes).
The militia of the Austrian Federal Army will be mobilized.
Young men who did alternative social service (Zivildienst) in the last five years will be called into service; the period of those currently serving will be prolonged.
Travelers coming from the Netherlands, UK, Russia and Ukraine are banned from entering the country.

The Coronavirus in Austria & Vienna | All You Need to Know – Regular Updates | Metropole – Vienna

When we look back on this horrible era, I'll remember it more for our behaviour than anything else.

The only instance I can remember anything remotely similar to this was the petrol shortage around 20 years ago, and seeing long queues of cars along the road queuing to fill up.
I remember the oil crisis (better said "embargo") of the early 70s. Leading, at least in some European countries, to driving being prohibited on a couple or four of Sundays.

German friends sent me a photo (this was way before the internetz) of standing upright thru the sun-roof of their old VW beetle, while holding the reins of the horse they'd rigged in front of it. Went on the "Autobahn" with it, surrounded by laughing roller skaters and people on bicycles.

I'd have loved to be part but was in a totally other part of the world then.

Gatherings are now limited to no more than 5 people (even inside homes).

Have no idea how they are going to enforce that restriction (unless a nosey neighbour squeals).

EU will close its borders for 30 days to all non-EU citizens from noon tomorrow.

Meanwhile France is going (has gone) into the same lockdown as Spain.

I've just seen a Facebook warning update from a friend: some "people" have been volunteering to help the elderly and asking for bank/credit card details so they could pay for goods which they would deliver....

I've just seen a Facebook warning update from a friend: some "people" have been volunteering to help the elderly and asking for bank/credit card details so they could pay for goods which they would deliver....
Oh for the days when looters were simply shot.

On the spot.

Back
Top Bottom