• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Charles Krauthammer summarizes Tuesday's choice like only he can

your dishonesty is that you pretend it only counts if the candidate publicly says something rather than his toadies or campaign

That was your claim, Bro. I'm being dishonest by asking you to back up your bull****?

Charles Krauthammer: The choice - The Washington Post

Krauthammer has an uncanny ability to take the complicated and discuss it at whatever level his listener prefers, whether it's the seasoned and educated or the everyday novice.

This is the best short summation I've seen of the impact this election will have on America's future.

Yet another blatant fear tactic by the right. It was a lie every other election when we claimed the sky is falling but this time chicken little is right. I may be of the opinion that romney is a clear liar and a step backwards into the same crap that has gotten us into yet another recession, but it is not the end of the world, just a really crappy turn for the US if he is elected. Still, in 4 years the US will still be here, just a little worse off than today. people will still be working, and the rich will keep this thing going because in other places they would be locked up and their money taken by those with the armies. Obama did not destroy the US in his first term, and there is no reason to think he could do it in his second term even if he wanted. Simply congress has way too much power for him to do it even if he wanted to. you can argue his plans may not be the best and the recovery could be better, but the argument that the world is ending is really dumb. Again, even if obama is re-elected the US will be here in 4 years. Even if you believe the Us will be worse off, it will still be going on. people will still be working, and the rich will keep this going for the same reason they would keep it going under romney. very simply they would not be allowed to do this in other countries.

This whole idea that we will all be dead in 4 years if the black man is elected is just an attempt to put a new cover on the same racist ideas that came into play when we abolished slavery, gave blacks and education, let them work for real wages, let them vote, and protected their rights as citizens. The world did not end because we let those evil negros do things, and it is not because we have one as president for 4 more years. Calm down beavis, the sky is not falling.

Every time I see Kraut he says the nastiest far right conspiracy crap he can possibly dream up. Why anyone would listen to him I don't understand, its no different than Beck he just comes off uglier than nutty.

Yet another blatant fear tactic by the right. It was a lie every other election when we claimed the sky is falling but this time chicken little is right. I may be of the opinion that romney is a clear liar and a step backwards into the same crap that has gotten us into yet another recession, but it is not the end of the world, just a really crappy turn for the US if he is elected. Still, in 4 years the US will still be here, just a little worse off than today. people will still be working, and the rich will keep this thing going because in other places they would be locked up and their money taken by those with the armies. Obama did not destroy the US in his first term, and there is no reason to think he could do it in his second term even if he wanted. Simply congress has way too much power for him to do it even if he wanted to. you can argue his plans may not be the best and the recovery could be better, but the argument that the world is ending is really dumb. Again, even if obama is re-elected the US will be here in 4 years. Even if you believe the Us will be worse off, it will still be going on. people will still be working, and the rich will keep this going for the same reason they would keep it going under romney. very simply they would not be allowed to do this in other countries.

This whole idea that we will all be dead in 4 years if the black man is elected is just an attempt to put a new cover on the same racist ideas that came into play when we abolished slavery, gave blacks and education, let them work for real wages, let them vote, and protected their rights as citizens. The world did not end because we let those evil negros do things, and it is not because we have one as president for 4 more years. Calm down beavis, the sky is not falling.

There was nothing racial about it at all until you made it racial. How pathetic.

what hyperbolic BS. No one said we'd all be dead. some of us noted that electing a man mainly because he was a novelty -he was black-rather than his competence (or lack thereof) was a silly reason for supporting Obama

and he has proven he really wasn't ready for the job.

There was nothing racial about it at all until you made it racial. How pathetic.

well its so hard to support Obamunism and his incompetence, his lovers have to claim it has to be racism that fuels the opposition to this clown

So, seriously, how familiar are you with Krauthammer? Have you been reading his WaPo columns for years? Have you read any at all beyond the one linked in the OP?

BTW, based on his track record, there is reason to be concerned about a second term for Obama. If re-elected and that overweaning concern--don't kid a kidder; there's a reason Obama is being referred to as the "Campaigner-in-Chief"--, will he, as have other Presidents before him, set forth an agenda that will be unacceptable to a majority?

Consider only his Department of Justice and its venal AG.

Obama is an affirmative action case whose college grades remain sealed most likely because Obama did n't have what it takes for a white guy to get into Harvard. CK had no affirmative action to get into Harvard Medical school..Harvard Med is far far harder to get into than the Law School, I got into both the business school and the law school, I wouldn't have had a prayer at the medical school

If you got into both, then you must be aware of that a) the editor chair of Harvard law review is only given to academically deserving individuals regardless of race/religion/political affiliation and b) graduating from that law school summa cum laude is pretty damn good.

so why be so disenguenous in trying to denigrate the undeniable academic accomplishments of Obama? why continually harp onthe fact his is black and a aa baby? could it be because you can't stomach the fact that a black man could actually be way way smarter and deserving than you?

If you got into both, then you must be aware of that a) the editor chair of Harvard law review is only given to academically deserving individuals regardless of race/religion/political affiliation and b) graduating from that law school summa cum laude is pretty damn good.

so why be so disenguenous in trying to denigrate the undeniable academic accomplishments of Obama? why continually harp onthe fact his is black and a aa baby? could it be because you can't stomach the fact that a black man could actually be way way smarter and deserving than you?

summa cum laude is very rare, Often time the valedictorian is only magna I believe John Roberts was only Magna, Obama was magna which meant back then he was in the top 80 or so in his class. Paul Clement I believe was Summa. He was SG under Bush.

I don't believe Obama would have been admitted into Harvard Law based on his record if he was white. No one who went to columbia with him ever has stated he was a star college student. and the issue is what he presented at the time he was admitted. When I was apply to law schools the LSAT was a 800 point scale. blacks accepted at Harvard had 130 points added to their LSAT and .5 to their GPA. in my four years at Yale, one black made the scores necessary to get into say Yale Law or Harvard Med. He was sadly killed in a car crash. Clinton gave the Eulogy at his funeral-he had broken Clinton's SAT record score in arkansas (which is funny because my HS had three 1600s in one class of 50 two years after I graduated and apparently arkansas never had one through 1979)

Maybe its just me because im an independent but i didnt find anything useful, the least bit insightful, inspiring or anything "telling it like it is" anywhere in this article LOL

And on the other side i didnt fine it overly biased (no im not saying its accurate) full of crazy rhetoric or greatly exaggerated hyperbole.

I just found it to be . . . well. . nothing.

Though i did laugh when i read "hyper-liberalism" and "Every four years we are told that the coming election is the most important of one’s life. This time it might actually be true." those two lines expose him but again, there are far far worse hack hyperbole articles out there from BOTH sides.

I have voted for both sides over the years and third party but Mitt could never get my vote simply because of what he says he wants to do on social/health care issues. I dont care where a candidate "stands" but when they campaign on what ACTIONS they plan to take thats is different.

Obama, Johnson and some others could get my vote though but not Mitt and I dont think Jill can get my vote either.

summa cum laude is very rare, Often time the valedictorian is only magna I believe John Roberts was only Magna, Obama was magna which meant back then he was in the top 80 or so in his class. Paul Clement I believe was Summa. He was SG under Bush.

I don't believe Obama would have been admitted into Harvard Law based on his record if he was white. No one who went to columbia with him ever has stated he was a star college student. and the issue is what he presented at the time he was admitted. When I was apply to law schools the LSAT was a 800 point scale. blacks accepted at Harvard had 130 points added to their LSAT and .5 to their GPA. in my four years at Yale, one black made the scores necessary to get into say Yale Law or Harvard Med. He was sadly killed in a car crash. Clinton gave the Eulogy at his funeral-he had broken Clinton's SAT record score in arkansas (which is funny because my HS had three 1600s in one class of 50 two years after I graduated and apparently arkansas never had one through 1979)

Do you think that Bush would have ever been admitted to Yale or Harvard B School if his name wasn't Bush? The answer is no. He benefitted from affirmative action. The difference is that, given the chance, Obama performed at a very high level, while Bush was a mediocre to poor student.

Yes, i do agree the present racism that has come about due to a black president is pretty pathetic. It is certainly sad that at this point in time we still have to deal with it in america.

Ahhhhh. So, the fact that he graduated summa cumm laude is some how attributed to the fact that he was black? The fact that he achieved the position of editor of the harvard law review was because he was black?

Intersesting. It seems that you are resentful of the facts of Obama's academic success because you didn't come remotely close and you feel that to achieve such academic recognition is beyond the capabilities of a black man. Could this be, because no matter how hard you tried, not matter how much you intellectuallly invested you couldn't come close to that kind of recognition?

I don't discount you success in education. the only thing I doubt is your resentment that a black man is way smarter than you.

what hyperbolic BS. No one said we'd all be dead.

Doomed, dead, most important thing in your life. there is no difference. It is all a fear tactic because there is little to no reason to be so afraid of another obama term that you should elect any POS that runs. There was nothing good about any republican candidate this year, and they all ran on the idea that obama is so horrible our lives will be destroys and america will be gone in 4 years with him. Simply we can see that most people are not that afraid of another 4 years of him.
some of us noted that electing a man mainly because he was a novelty -he was black-rather than his competence (or lack thereof) was a silly reason for supporting Obama

you assume that is why he was elected, but really it was a small part of why he was elected. mcCain had gone hard core down the Bush road and people were sick of those policies and 2 never ending wars. Then for those who might have felt obama was inexperienced and Mccain might have just been playing to the far right and not that stupid he plopped the worst VP nomination ever imagined one heartbeat away from the presidency. given his age and the number of things his body has gone through, that was a great reason to not vote for him. There was actually a decent chance had he not tanked his own election with palin he would have won. About the best obama's race did for him was get blacks in already black districts to come out and vote more. those were probably dem districts anyway, and his race certainly was not a huge factor. If you think about it his presence certainly offset irregular black voting by pushing bigots to the polls in record numbers also. Since independents often vote based on who they think will do best and not frivelous things like skin color that did not help obama. Moderates would have voted for obama over the 2008 McCain who took a much more extremist view which turned them off.

really, you can try to blame everyone else, but the reason McCain lost was his choices.
and he has proven he really wasn't ready for the job.

I will agree. in the beginning he was acting like a senator instead of the leader. he was going way too far in compromise, and this just let the republicans know that tantrums got them what they wanted. It is like being a parent with a bunch of spoiled 2 year olds. you don't ask the two year old what they want to stop crying. But he seems to have learned to get things done he has to push the two year olds aside, and get them done. Certainly the inexperience he had going into his first term is the same inexperience romney has in trying to become president. one fail term as governor of MA does not make him ready, and his continued gaffes like thinking the modern navy is comparible to the WW2 navy is just evidence of that. You include Romney's ability to piss off every foreign country he visits, and you realize he may be great at running a cut throat investment firm, but he certainly does not have the education or demeanor to run the US. You add to that that any new president would have to become familiar with the war operations we are presently dealing with and you realize there is no good that will come from an ignorant unqualified dip**** trying desperately to overcome his weaknesses and do something in 4 years. We don't need a new president now, so why bother changing to an unproven guy who fails a lot?

So, seriously, how familiar are you with Krauthammer? Have you been reading his WaPo columns for years? Have you read any at all beyond the one linked in the OP?

BTW, based on his track record, there is reason to be concerned about a second term for Obama. If re-elected and that overweaning concern--don't kid a kidder; there's a reason Obama is being referred to as the "Campaigner-in-Chief"--, will he, as have other Presidents before him, set forth an agenda that will be unacceptable to a majority?

Consider only his Department of Justice and its venal AG.

Again, i see no reason to believe that obama is leading us into a disaster we cannot deal with. Your fear tactic relies on the reputation of a right wing mouthpiece and not any actual facts. if you believe this idiot then you are afraid. if you believe in the strength of america, and in the fact that the president is not the only one responsible for the direction of this country you recognize obama cannot destroy it so the main argument behind the fear is bull.

Again, i see no reason to believe that obama is leading us into a disaster we cannot deal with. Your fear tactic relies on the reputation of a right wing mouthpiece and not any actual facts. if you believe this idiot then you are afraid. if you believe in the strength of america, and in the fact that the president is not the only one responsible for the direction of this country you recognize obama cannot destroy it so the main argument behind the fear is bull.

I see no reason to believe you have any idea at all who Krauthammer is, what he's done, or what his opinions are. You clearly are unfamiliar with his life's work and political analysis if you call him an "idiot," and I am embarrassed for you.

Don't presume to mischaracterize me. I asked questions. If you perceive a "fear tactic," you're projecting. Sorry if you're unable to address what I think is a legit concern. Is there some reason you're unable to do this?

"This time there's really a wolf, I mean it!

It's not the most important election ever.

The most important election was 2008. Fortunately we elected a President and a mostly unified congress that were able to put in place a lot of emergency measures to save our economy from the brink of disaster. Imagine what would have happened if we had the government we have now in 2008? Or if we had a McCain presidency with the congress we had?

I know it's fashionable to be overly pessimistic, especially around election time... But things aren't really that bad. We're having a much above recovery as compared to other financial crises and are doing dramatically better than the countries which enacted austerity measures. Moreover, economic forecasts are fairly bullish moving forward over the next few years, regardless who's president.

The senate is going to stay Democratic, the house will remain Republican, and both margins will decrease. No one is going to be able to enact anything radical.

I still think Romney would be bad for the country, but that's more because he stands for nothing and is likely
to get bullied by the no compromise wing of the GOP than because he's for actually doing anything or would
be able to get anything done.

If yours was a voice to be trusted you would have said something as soon as you realized the Obama administration wasn't working. But not only did you not speak up before now, but you are STILL asleep. How could anyone take your advice seriously when you still think everything is going along just fine?

This whole idea that we will all be dead in 4 years if the black man is elected is just an attempt to put a new cover on the same racist ideas that came into play when we abolished slavery, gave blacks and education, let them work for real wages, let them vote, and protected their rights as citizens. The world did not end because
we let those evil negros do things, and it is not because we have one as president for 4 more years. Calm
down beavis, the sky is not falling.

My hand before God, I wish I could make sure you got the gvernment YOU deserve and exempt the rest of us from the disaster you'd wished upon yourself. But, fortunately, we'll have to HOPE you learn from the positive lesson you'll get from four years of Mitt Romney at the wheel so you can see how a real POTUS performs.

I see no reason to believe you have any idea at all who Krauthammer is, what he's done, or what his opinions are. You clearly are unfamiliar with his life's work and political analysis if you call him an "idiot," and I am embarrassed for you.

Yup, he is still an idiot. Nope, you did not convince me otherwise with your compliments.
Don't presume to mischaracterize me. I asked questions. If you perceive a "fear tactic," you're projecting. Sorry if you're unable to address what I think is a legit concern. Is there some reason you're unable to do this?

Sorry, but you are trying to promote the idea that the US is doomed if we have another Obama term, and you have nothing to back it up. You have no data, you have no facts, you just have an opinion from a fearmongering republican pundit type. you are going to have to do better than that.

My hand before God, I wish I could make sure you got the gvernment YOU deserve and exempt the rest of us from the disaster you'd wished upon yourself. But, fortunately, we'll have to HOPE you learn from the positive lesson you'll get from four years of Mitt Romney at the wheel so you can see how a real POTUS performs.

Hey, I would love to see all the Romney people get what they wish. After all they deserve him more than anyone and the destruction he will give. You know if i could ship you all off to a country where you could all live under his rule and intelligence you would be the fist to beg to stay under obama. Don't worry if your hero wins i will be happy to laugh at your folly when he is done stealing everything he can from you. If you think i was not laughing at the republican base in 2012 when they were pissing their pants over the recession you are wrong. 4 more years of bush wrecked any number of republican's lives. that was awesome, but it is too bad he hurt a lot of other people while doing it. You know as well as i do that despite your arguments you go to sleep at night praying for obama to win.

Hey, I would love to see all the Romney people get what they wish. After all they deserve him more than anyone and the destruction he will give. You know if i could ship you all off to a country where you could all live under his rule and intelligence you would be the fist to beg to stay under obama. Don't worry if your hero wins i will be happy to laugh at your folly when he is done stealing everything he can from you. If you think i was not laughing at the republican base in 2012 when they were pissing their pants over the recession you are wrong. 4 more years of bush wrecked any number of republican's lives. that was awesome, but it is too bad he hurt a lot of other people while doing it. You know as well as i do that despite your arguments you go to sleep at night praying for obama to win.

This coming from someone who supports the candidate the presided over thee longest consecutive monthly stretch of 8% or higher of unemployment. This coming from someone who supports the candidate who presided over the record number of Americans living in poverty and on food stamps. This coming from someone who advocates the candidate who's watched the meridian income plunge and credit rate reduced twice, the most of any American president. Keep living in your fantasy world. If and when your joke wins on Tuesday, I'd love to seek refuge because this reality is flat out BRUTAL.

ROTFLMAO

I must say I admire your bravado in the face of defeat and your absurdist humor in the face of reality.

:)

ROTFLMAO

I must say I admire your bravado in the face of defeat and your absurdist humor in the face of reality.

:)

In the face of defeat? As one conservative to another, allow me to remind you that the Obama machine is much, much more powerful than the Clinton machine. If you think Romney is going to win, you're in for a depressing wednesday.

Back
Top Bottom