• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Britain bans gasoline and diesel cars starting in 2040

Well, the full change over has 23 years to take place...I'm not sure anyone giving you an answer (other than the obvious "at an electric filling station" answer) can claim to know for sure... I mean, think about technology advancements over the last 23 years... Fusion is looking good for national grids, power and solar advancements are making them more and more viable, battery tech is expanding... I don't know.

What I do know is that when a country makes a commitment like this, they are far more likely to make it work then they would be twiddling their thumbs and pining for the good ol days of fossil fuel relevance.

Liberals are the ones making decisons about fossil fuel based on emotion

Hate and fear are what drive liberals over the environment

Hate for fossile fuel because they are scared ****less that the the world is going to end because of global warming

You might want to bone up on nuclear fusion/plasma at ITER and W X-7 before embarrassing yourself again .

Yeah, sure

I'll get right on that

Particulary if some future liberal gives them a subsidy and crushes all the gas powered cars so that there is nothing else to buy

But that is hardly a triumph of the free market in a free society

I'll ask you a third time....do you think that gas powered cars will be the exception, or the norm in 2040?

Hate for fossile fuel because they are scared ****less that the the world is going to end because of global warming

Yes, dear, it's all about liberal hate.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........oops, sorry, did you say something?

Without immenint domain almost no big project could get done

If we think about it I bet there are examples of imminent domain that you approve of and some that I don't approve of

I didn't use it as an example of a project I don't approve of - obviously we need pipelines, and without imminent domain they might not be possible. What I'm pointing out is there is no "free market" energy policy with regard to fossil fuels, and never has been. We've ALWAYS provided massive government incentives/subsidies to encourage cheap, plentiful energy. That's fine, but you can't acknowledge the need for government intervention in fossil fuels and then whine when renewables also get subsidies. It's hypocritical.

That that is much more limited government in our lives that greenies in a star chamber deciding the future of everyone 50 years from now

I'm agnostic on the ban on gas and diesel, but you're ignoring that to permit them is to also permit the pollution that comes with those cars, and the disease, death and all the rest (forgetting climate considerations). When we go to Southern Caifornia next week, we'll enjoy the green cloud of pollution over the cities there, which is effectively a government subsidy of fossil fuels because I'm absorbing the health cost of that dirty air. Fossil fuel burners in a "star chamber" are deciding what kind of poison I have to breath in that region.

Yeah, sure

I'll get right on that

Open your eyes and mind to plasma being harnessed in an electromagnetic field. The simpler technology German version of W X-7 is about to pass the more complicated ITER version led by Russia, China, India, Japan, the EU, South Korea, and the USA .

Well, the full change over has 23 years to take place...I'm not sure anyone giving you an answer (other than the obvious "at an electric filling station" answer) can claim to know for sure... I mean, think about technology advancements over the last 23 years... Fusion is looking good for national grids, power and solar advancements are making them more and more viable, battery tech is expanding... I don't know.

What I do know is that when a country makes a commitment like this, they are far more likely to make it work then they would be twiddling their thumbs and pining for the good ol days of fossil fuel relevance.
I hope they are successful. Truly. But the reality is that nothing has lived up to its promise, even with technological advancements. Unless they develop a more powerful fuel source, they are either going to have to take a serious look at their 'ban' in 2035...about the time they will have to stop production of fossil fuel cars to appropriately switch over.

The cynic might say this is a ploy by the auto manufacturers to sell the piss out of gas fueled vehicles in 2037, 2038, and 2039.

This particular policy was passed by the UK Conservative party which is in the process of pulling the UK out of the EU

Not exactly liberals

I'll ask you a third time....do you think that gas powered cars will be the exception, or the norm in 2040?
Unless they can expand payload, pulling capacity, and mile efficiency...gas will remain the norm.

I was talking to a friend of mine that is an engineer with the Air Force that was describing electric car design concepts and how much more efficient they can make them. The problem comes down to mass and battery size. They have some single person self driving car concepts that are great...but are essentially shells. Scary when mixed with SUVs and semis...guaranteed near fatal at highway speeds in the event of an accident. But inner city travel would be pretty sweet. Like drivng an electric scooter.

For perspective, the Toyota Prius was the first real production hybrid. It turns 20 years old this year. In 20 years it has increased from approximately 43 miles highway to currently 47 miles highway with the 5 door 1.5 liter sedan. No real towing capacity.

I hope they are successful. Truly. But the reality is that nothing has lived up to its promise, even with technological advancements. Unless they develop a more powerful fuel source, they are either going to have to take a serious look at their 'ban' in 2035...about the time they will have to stop production of fossil fuel cars to appropriately switch over.

The cynic might say this is a ploy by the auto manufacturers to sell the piss out of gas fueled vehicles in 2037, 2038, and 2039.

haha...well, I'm not sure about that... I work in the automotive industry (logistics analyst), with a good long view into what the next 5 years or so has in store, and without getting into too many personally identifiable details, I can tell you that all the major car companies are taking electric cars very seriously....not hybrids, electric. Don't ask me to cite, I can't...either you believe me or you don't on this one, that's the best I can do. :)

23 years is a long time, man, and there is a lot that can be accomplished between now and then, and tech has a way of building steam...especially when there is a lot of money involved. And believe me, there's a lot of money involved.

Good, more for me. What are they waiting for, though? They're fine with another 22 years of planetary destruction? Real commitment would be to start now.

By explaining to the world what your gonna do 20 years in advance, the world can have time to get set up for it. Now research and production for electrics is gonna shoot up. I bet battery stocks just went up. People are gonna start figuring out how to turn common cars from combustion to zero emission instead of just junking all the old generations. Conversion auto-shops that get you 2k tax money back for making the convert, whos only function is to take the old engine and slap something in there that is within compliance.

Eventually we will have good enough technology to simply remove the hydrogen we need from the ocean. And when that burns it leaves zero harmful emissions.

Im glad the Brits are beta testing this out rather than Americans :D

Last edited:

I don't know

If liberals ban them from the roads the answer is no

They will all be museum pieces

if not who can say?

But electric cars appear to be becoming viabla even without the anti free market tactics of the greenies

Yes, dear, it's all about liberal hate.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........oops, sorry, did you say something?

Thats all it is

Liberal fear and panic

I didn't use it as an example of a project I don't approve of - obviously we need pipelines, and without imminent domain they might not be possible. What I'm pointing out is there is no "free market" energy policy with regard to fossil fuels, and never has been. We've ALWAYS provided massive government incentives/subsidies to encourage cheap, plentiful energy. That's fine, but you can't acknowledge the need for government intervention in fossil fuels and then whine when renewables also get subsidies. It's hypocritical.

Government had little to do with the discovery of oil or the development of oil and gas

I think the "massive" government assistance to the industry is a myth

The private sector needed nothing from government except to stay out of its way

I'm agnostic on the ban on gas and diesel, but you're ignoring that to permit them is to also permit the pollution that comes with those cars, and the disease, death and all the rest (forgetting climate considerations). When we go to Southern Caifornia next week, we'll enjoy the green cloud of pollution over the cities there, which is effectively a government subsidy of fossil fuels because I'm absorbing the health cost of that dirty air. Fossil fuel burners in a "star chamber" are deciding what kind of poison I have to breath in that region.

Los angles is a special case because of the geography

But the cars being sold today are so clean that they are causing very little of the smag that may still exist there

Open your eyes and mind to plasma being harnessed in an electromagnetic field. The simpler technology German version of W X-7 is about to pass the more complicated ITER version led by Russia, China, India, Japan, the EU, South Korea, and the USA .

Ok

It sounds great

So tell me again why will you have to beat everyone over the head with a stick to make them give up gas autos?

This particular policy was passed by the UK Conservative party which is in the process of pulling the UK out of the EU

Not exactly liberals

Not exactly conservatives either except when compared to the very liberal leftwing party

Government had little to do with the discovery of oil or the development of oil and gas

I think the "massive" government assistance to the industry is a myth

The private sector needed nothing from government except to stay out of its way

Right, because we've fought no wars or engaged in other foreign adventures to protect cheap oil supplies, right? And pollution has no costs either, especially the lead added to gasoline for decades that poisoned millions of Americans and can still be found in the ground in congested areas. If government stayed out of the fossil fuel industry's way for the past 100 years, that would be fine, but it's not what happened.

Los angles is a special case because of the geography

But the cars being sold today are so clean that they are causing very little of the smag that may still exist there

The same problems exist everywhere, just in lesser amounts. We have regular "unsafe" air days around here from the coal burning plants that dot the area, and the cars driving around the Smokies - the pollution piles up near the mountains. I'm just pointing out allowing fossil fuel pollution costs to be absorbed by you and me is a subsidy of fossil fuels, and that's been going on forever. It's tough to assign a cost to it, but it's substantial and continuing.

You're getting less and less worth responding to seriously, you know that right? What does that even mean?

I think the same about you

The left has been programed to think one way and disagreeing with them is pointless

The left has been programed to think one way and disagreeing with them is pointless

Then stop disagreeing with us.

Right, because we've fought no wars or engaged in other foreign adventures to protect cheap oil supplies, right?

And pollution has no costs either, especially the lead added to gasoline for decades that poisoned millions of Americans and can still be found in the ground in congested areas. If government stayed out of the fossil fuel industry's way for the past 100 years, that would be fine, but it's not what happened.

The same problems exist everywhere, just in lesser amounts. We have regular "unsafe" air days around here from the coal burning plants that dot the area, and the cars driving around the Smokies - the pollution piles up near the mountains. I'm just pointing out allowing fossil fuel pollution costs to be absorbed by you and me is a subsidy of fossil fuels, and that's been going on forever. It's tough to assign a cost to it, but it's substantial and continuing.

It would be really stupid to allow our enemies to control the sorlds oil supplies

Ok, stop responding...lol...

I have no problem talking to the Right...memes, on the other hand, are a little more difficult.

Ok, stop responding...lol...

I have no problem talking to the Right...memes, on the other hand, are a little more difficult.

Sorry but another thundering liberal herd member already beat you to that response

Back
Top Bottom