• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Britain bans gasoline and diesel cars starting in 2040

Those are very practical examples of why the government seeks to keep foreign powers from controling the worlds oil supply

Your "specific economic sector" is the entire US economy that every single American depends on

Oh OK, so by that definition Farm Subsidies are not subsidies because every single American eats.

The problem with banning the sale of New IC engines by 2040, is the electric cars are run off the electric grid. They are changing one fuel source for another, and while more efficient, if you live on a coal powered grid you haven't lowered your carbon footprint all that much. Now when I say problem, I'm not saying we shouldn't do it. I'm saying we need to do another thing at the same time to maximize it's effectiveness. And that is reduce our dependency on fossil fuels for power production. And we have several options, like nuclear energy. We've come along long way since most of our nuclear power plants were built. We can upgrade em, and plop down more, they take so long to build we would have plenty of time to phase out coal and gas power plants without sending the economy into a tailspin.

Because we are halfway to the point of no return concerning the 2 degree cap we've set ourselves. And their is still enough oil in reserve at the moment to hit that mark five times over. Which if we're smart we will stop burning it, and keep it for the other things we create from it.

There is literally nothing we can do atm concerning mining, it sucks how bad that is for the environment but we need the materials to make the new things we have to build to replace the old things. We can offset the damage by cleaning up our trash act. For instance, why do we let companies sell everything in disposable packaging? Take Coca Cola for instance, I'm told that back in the day they used glass bottles you could return. They would then wash and reuse the glass bottles. Why does everything have to be individually wrapped? Why is it the consumers fault the company is creating this trash for us to throw away? Because I'm fairly certain I like Coke enough to buy it in a glass bottle. Heck, I prefer it actually, makes the flavors more crisp. So why is it my fault it's being sold to me in a one use plastic bottle that will likely end up in a landfill. Our local Boston Pizza delivers their food in reusable Tupperware, why is that not more of a thing? There is a great deal we can do to clean up our trash, if we look towards who is actually producing the things we throw away and why. Instead of blaming the consumer for their choice in disposing of the trash that wasn't necessary in the first place.

Those are very practical examples of why the government seeks to keep foreign powers from controling the worlds oil supply

Your "specific economic sector" is the entire US economy that every single American depends on

But the US is independent for oil according the Trump, why are you "defending" everyone elses?

But the US is independent for oil according the Trump, why are you "defending" everyone elses?

We could be independent but other parts of the world - which is increasingly interconnected - are not oil independent

Maybe they are the ones who should be bullying their citizens into going solar or going without like the UK is

Oh OK, so by that definition Farm Subsidies are not subsidies because every single American eats.

No, that looks like a real subsidy to me

But only because the federal government is writing checks to the farmers out of tax revenues

The problem with banning the sale of New IC engines by 2040, is the electric cars are run off the electric grid. They are changing one fuel source for another, and while more efficient, if you live on a coal powered grid you haven't lowered your carbon footprint all that much. Now when I say problem, I'm not saying we shouldn't do it. I'm saying we need to do another thing at the same time to maximize it's effectiveness. And that is reduce our dependency on fossil fuels for power production. And we have several options, like nuclear energy. We've come along long way since most of our nuclear power plants were built. We can upgrade em, and plop down more, they take so long to build we would have plenty of time to phase out coal and gas power plants without sending the economy into a tailspin.

Because we are halfway to the point of no return concerning the 2 degree cap we've set ourselves. And their is still enough oil in reserve at the moment to hit that mark five times over. Which if we're smart we will stop burning it, and keep it for the other things we create from it.

There is literally nothing we can do atm concerning mining, it sucks how bad that is for the environment but we need the materials to make the new things we have to build to replace the old things. We can offset the damage by cleaning up our trash act. For instance, why do we let companies sell everything in disposable packaging? Take Coca Cola for instance, I'm told that back in the day they used glass bottles you could return. They would then wash and reuse the glass bottles. Why does everything have to be individually wrapped? Why is it the consumers fault the company is creating this trash for us to throw away? Because I'm fairly certain I like Coke enough to buy it in a glass bottle. Heck, I prefer it actually, makes the flavors more crisp. So why is it my fault it's being sold to me in a one use plastic bottle that will likely end up in a landfill. Our local Boston Pizza delivers their food in reusable Tupperware, why is that not more of a thing? There is a great deal we can do to clean up our trash, if we look towards who is actually producing the things we throw away and why. Instead of blaming the consumer for their choice in disposing of the trash that wasn't necessary in the first place.

It really depends on the location

The UK can generate alot of wind and tidal/wave electrical power and could probably build a few new nuke plants and generate say 80% of it electricity fossil fuel free.

Quebec and BC in Canada have significant hydroelectricity generation so would be much cleaner going heavy towards electric cars. Alberta would not be

A completely empty gesture that can, and will, be overturned if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom