• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

america the christian nation?

america the christian nation?

• yes we are still ruled by christianity

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • we are not as christian as we were

Votes: 38 92.7%

• Total voters
we are a secular nation where Christians can believe what they want but are not free to change the lives of others against the will of others based on ther faith

and no religions supernatural claims have been proven

Christianity has been proven. the other "religions" lost.

That is true. But the rules that restrict us peons across the land rarely ever apply to our elected leaders. If I offered a generic prayer at our local elementary school here, there would be the devil to pay. And I would probably get shouted down if I tried to do it at a professional Isotopes game. It wouldn't necessarily be illegal but something doesn't have to be illegal in order to be effectively outlawed via political correctness.

As for those Senate prayers, we the taxpayer are paying those chaplains offering those prayers a lot of money:
U.S. Senate: Reference Home > Senate Organization > Chaplain's Office

The last I looked, the Senate Chaplain and his staff were paid:
Chaplain: $150,698
Chief of Staff: $129,223
Director of Communications: $86,056
Executive Assistant: $52,828

The members of the Senate can't offer a generic prayer themselves or invite a local pastor or rabbi or whatever to do it as a public service?

To me this is a blatant misuse of public funds. Our Senators can't find a good church and pastor or rabbi or whatever anywhere in Washington DC if they need pastoral counseling? Or if they all want to use the same one with office hours, they should pay this person out of their own pockets.

And there is also a Chaplain and staff that serves the House.

I agree that the chaplain is a gross misuse of funds. Also wonder why the Senate itself hasn't addressed the issue.

Where, show us.

No thanks. I've already figured out that this discussion will be going nowhere and I am already counseling myself: "Do not feed the trolls, argue with idiots, take the bait, participate in thread derailment, and/or engage in exercises of futility." You have a nice day too.

No thanks. I've already figured out that this discussion will be going nowhere and I am already counseling myself: "Do not feed the trolls, argue with idiots, take the bait, participate in thread derailment, and/or engage in exercises of futility." You have a nice day too.

So, you don't know what you're talking about.

Thought not.

Christianity has been proven. the other "religions" lost.

You have proof? You would be the first.

Christianity is presently the largest religion, not the most proven.

No thanks. I've already figured out that this discussion will be going nowhere
Next time don't post lies, posters won't expose them and your posts won't fail so bad. Hopefully you'll post with more honest in the future. Let me know if there's any other mistakes I can help with, reminder to you, do not post lies. You're welcome and good night!.

I think we aren't as Christian as we once were because Christianity was once the 'norm' almost everywhere in America and those of us who embraced it were not attacked, insulted, and/or maligned, and nobody would have presumed to see it as a violation of anybody's rights.

We once celebrated Christmas and even Easter joyously and unoffensively pretty much everywhere--in the schools, in the workplace, on campus of our universities, in department stores, in the hospitals, in all government buildings, etc. It was a beautiful and satisfying component of the predominantly Christian American culture and even those who did not embrace Christianity enjoyed it as an American festival just as we would enjoy the cultural festivals celebrated in other countries including the non-Christian ones. The creche on the courthouse lawn was a charming American tradition that offended nobody and to sue somebody because it was there was unthinkable.

But with the rise of an intolerant Progressivism coupled with an opportunistic Libertarianism (capital "L") in which money could be made by challenging such customs and symbols, we have lost much of that. Our young are too often taught that Christianity is born of evil and corrupt influences or is a corruption of paganism, etc. etc. etc. and they never experience the joy and comfort that a relationship with the Christ brings to those of us who are blessed with that. "Merry or Blessed Christmas" has been replaced with a generic "Happy Holidays" in many if not most places. Christmas is no longer acknowledged in the schools that now have Winter Breaks instead of Christmas breaks. Public prayer is outlawed or not allowed in most public places. The school that includes too many old traditional Christmas carols in the winter concert can face severe retribution.

Christians are supposed to be sensitive and sympathetic to non-Christians whose feelings are of much more importance than any desire or feelings of the Christians.

And our country is definitely the poorer for it.

Yeah, there's that pesky constitution again eh?

So, this is the first post you made in this thread, and here and nowhere since have you posted any laws that ban prayer.

So, you were lying.

I agree that the chaplain is a gross misuse of funds. Also wonder why the Senate itself hasn't addressed the issue.

Because they don't really give a diddly squat about what they spend? It isn't THEIR money after all.

NO! USA is also for Jews and Muslims.

As a Jew I believe that Christians and Muslims who are non-Jews are saved if they follow The Seven Laws of Noah.

this is a public opinion poll. there will be no insult slinging and there will be rational debate.

is america still the Christian nation we always were? all other "religions" have the right to practice freely and we should respect them even if they are wrong. however atheism isnt a religion so are they protected under the constitution? does anyone see us illegalizing atheism in the near future?

Christianity and America | Faith of Our Fathers

since this is a public opinion poll i expect fair and rational conversations.
I cannot answer the poll, as both answers are wrong.
America has never been a christian nation.

What we have been is a nation whose citizens are mostly christian. And we still are, by a large margin, although less than previous.

The country was never a "Christian nation" it's against the creed of the founding documents. There was a time when Christians outnumbers all other religions, but those days are probably gone.

There are a half billion more Christians in the world than Muslims.

Most Catholics do not consider Protestants Christian. Most Orthodox consider neither Catholics nor Protestants Christian.

There are a half billion more Christians in the world than Muslims.

Are we talking about the world, or the US? Your assertion means noting in this discussion.

I know you are being sarcastic and bashing that nonsensical post like it should be bashed but please don't group objective christians in with that silliness. Because that post has nothing to do with religion or christianity and it has everything to do with subjective feelings and a person being anti-rights, freedom and equality, while playing the victim card :)

(I also do know that you did not MEAN to group us together you were just making a point but I wanted to make a point also ;) )
Thats definitely a fair point. I tried to use the distinction of fundamentalist Christian. (I grew up as one, the idea that you were perpetually being persecuted was a major undercurrent of a lot of teachings) But even then, it's by no means all. The majority of Christians have to deal with the stigma that a vocal minority gives them... a lot like every other group.

That said, Christians do enjoy a lot of special privlidges under the law. That's not a knock on Christianity, more of a reflection of their numbers.

i voted yes we are still a Christian nation cause i havent lost faith in the US. the wife and i are very tolerant of the atheists because they are ignorant of how the world works, but they are still human beings

You lost me with your description of atheists as "ignorant of how the world works." In my 60+ years on this planet, I've found ignorance not to discriminate on the basis of religion or religious belief (or lack thereof).

Thats definitely a fair point. I tried to use the distinction of fundamentalist Christian. (I grew up as one, the idea that you were perpetually being persecuted was a major undercurrent of a lot of teachings) But even then, it's by no means all. The majority of Christians have to deal with the stigma that a vocal minority gives them... a lot like every other group.

That said, Christians do enjoy a lot of special privlidges under the law. That's not a knock on Christianity, more of a reflection of their numbers.

wow, thats a sad teaching. Im so thankful and lucky none of the churches I attended did that. Victimhood is the worse. And yes I can honestly say that over the years christians have enjoyed many special privileges over the years whether we wanted it or support it or not. ANd with some PEOPLE who happen to be christian thats their problem. They arent honest enough to recognize that and now that equal rights are winning more and more and not being overlooked they may "feel" wrongly prosecuted but the reality is thay are just topically uneducated, bigoted and or selfish and the retarded prosecution claim is as transparent as glass.

You don't get to decide what's relevant.

Sure I do; it's off topic. I'm not going to be diverted to another subject because you can't argue successfully with this one. The US IS NOT now nor ever was a Christian nation. We fought a war to make sure we weren't and then doubled down 72 years later. The number of white Christians in this country; the only ones making a fuss, are shrinking in number and the powers of the founding documents on that subject are coming to fruition ever more so now than before. We are not a country of any religion, nor should we be.

Modern Christian Persecution = Denying them their "god-given" right to tell everybody else how they have to live.

<SMH>

Was wondering when that would be posted.

It is the standard response, seeing as how it's an official document drawn up by the founding fathers and unanimously voted in by the senate. And I emphasize the word government. Our government is not founded upon the Christian religion. Our culture and history certainly have a strong Christian background. But there are Islamic names on the lists of soldiers who died fighting for our freedom from Great Britain. We've always been a nation of freedom of religion. All faiths are welcome here.

They're just not welcome in our laws.

Back
Top Bottom