• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

america the christian nation?

america the christian nation?

• yes we are still ruled by christianity

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • we are not as christian as we were

Votes: 38 92.7%

• Total voters
I don't believe this was ever intended to be a poll. More like "do you beat your wife or your daughter".

Trick question, they're the same person.

It's sad. Christians can't even celebrate Easter without having to ignore that it was stolen from a celebration of the German god Eostre. And what happened to the Christian freedom to impart their morality on everyone else? Right this minute Christians are being forced to not discriminate against gays. Talk about a hate crime, Christian businessmen are even forced to engage in profitable transactions with people that share an unrelated difference. It's terrible.

Christians are the most protected group in America. There are so many laws, regulations, policies etc.. cut out just to protect them. I know there's this fascination with oppression especially among fundamentalists; since the early church fathers had to deal with quite a bit. So every week from the pulpit you're told that you're going to be oppressed and face all sorts of abuse. At the first hint of any criticism fundamental Christians tend to claim that they're being wronged, as if it's somehow linking valid criticism for being theocratic ass to the torture and abuse church fathers faced. But that's just ridiculous. People just want to live their lives in peace. No one cares what you believe or what you do so long as you're not bothering anyone else.

Look up the statistics on attacks against Christians (IN THE US) and subtract the attacks on Southern Black Churches. You won't end up with much, especially when you compare it to every other group. I mean take all of the hate crimes committed against Christians and compare it against all of the crimes committed by Catholic priests. Now can you honestly say that Christians are "oppressed"?

I know you are being sarcastic and bashing that nonsensical post like it should be bashed but please don't group objective christians in with that silliness. Because that post has nothing to do with religion or christianity and it has everything to do with subjective feelings and a person being anti-rights, freedom and equality, while playing the victim card :)

(I also do know that you did not MEAN to group us together you were just making a point but I wanted to make a point also ;) )

christian_oppression_pie.png

LOL oh whoa is me . . . this is some hilarious victimhood and or nonsensical dramatics right here. And again I say that as a christian in a nation that has never been christian by default. What country do you live in that public prayer is outlayed or not allowed in most public places?

You haven't seen anybody offer a generic prayer to start a public school assembly or in the team locker room or over the loud speaker at the football game lately have you? There is a very good reason for that and it isn't because most people wouldn't appreciate it. It is because the lawsuits would be swift and certain. High schools even in the Bible belt are not allowed to have school sponsored baccalaureate services anymore. If the city council wants to start a meeting with prayer, there is an excellent chance that somebody would not initiate or threaten a lawsuit. Too many courts are dictating laws about these things.

Which is another unconstitutional situation that now exists--the courts are given authority to dictate what religious practices can and cannot be conducted in public places. This was never intended by the Constitution. The Founders would be horrified that the courts are meddling in such matters they took for granted as an unalienable right of the people as well as the courts making law at all which they were never intended to do.

We were never ruled by Christianity...

interesting point. we let the atheists pretend they are right, then jesus comes back and puts them in their place

You don't let us do anything... God gave us Free Will.

well we are a Christian nation but we tolerate the other "religions".

Where in the Constitution does it state that we are a Christian Nation?

It's sad. Christians can't even celebrate Easter without having to ignore that it was stolen from a celebration of the German god Eostre. And what happened to the Christian freedom to impart their morality on everyone else? Right this minute Christians are being forced to not discriminate against gays. Talk about a hate crime, Christian businessmen are even forced to engage in profitable transactions with people that share an unrelated difference. It's terrible.

Christians are the most protected group in America. There are so many laws, regulations, policies etc.. cut out just to protect them. I know there's this fascination with oppression especially among fundamentalists; since the early church fathers had to deal with quite a bit. So every week from the pulpit you're told that you're going to be oppressed and face all sorts of abuse. At the first hint of any criticism fundamental Christians tend to claim that they're being wronged, as if valid criticism for being a theocratic ass is equivalent the torture and abuse church fathers faced. But that's just ridiculous. People just want to live their lives in peace. No one cares what you believe or what you do so long as you're not bothering anyone else.

Look up the statistics on attacks against Christians (IN THE US) and subtract the attacks on Southern Black Churches. You won't end up with much, especially when you compare it to every other group. I mean take all of the hate crimes committed against Christians and compare it against all of the crimes committed by Catholic priests. Now can you honestly say that Christians are "oppressed"?

While I disagree with most of your post, it is mostly irrelevant and non sequitur to the point I am making. But I did note it.

Agreed. And again all Threads like this do is give Christianity a bad name. Smart, educated and objective people will see the thread for what it is, a terrible and dishonest poll. But for those looking to judge it will be an example of exactly what is wrong with some religious PEOPLE and not religion itself.

Not Christianity, just certain Christians.

this is a public opinion poll. there will be no insult slinging and there will be rational debate.

is america still the Christian nation we always were? all other "religions" have the right to practice freely and we should respect them even if they are wrong. however atheism isnt a religion so are they protected under the constitution? does anyone see us illegalizing atheism in the near future?

Christianity and America | Faith of Our Fathers

since this is a public opinion poll i expect fair and rational conversations.

Dumbest poll ever.

We are not a Christian nation, and never have been. We are a nation of predominantly Christians with a secular government.

bingo. the Vatican has confirmed this

The Vatican is the correct and everybody that disagrees with them is incorrect?

should we tolerate the intolerant atheists?

It doesn't sound like you are all that tolerant yourself...

laugh out loud. we are and always have been. there is no need for that "other".

Since the government is not a Christian Government... how do you determine that we are a Christian Nation?

Since we are a nation that was founded by people of various religions and non-religions... how do you determine that we are a Christian Nation?

Since we are a nation comprised up of people of many different religions... how do you determine that we are a Christian Nation?

1.) You haven't seen anybody offer a generic prayer to start a public school assembly or in the team locker room or over the loud speaker at the football game lately have you? There is a very good reason for that and it isn't because most people wouldn't appreciate it. It is because the lawsuits would be swift and certain. High schools even in the Bible belt are not allowed to have school sponsored baccalaureate services anymore. If the city council wants to start a meeting with prayer, there is an excellent chance that somebody would not initiate or threaten a lawsuit. Too many courts are dictating laws about these things.

Which is another unconstitutional situation that now exists--the courts are given authority to dictate what religious practices can and cannot be conducted in public places. This was never intended by the Constitution. The Founders would be horrified that the courts are meddling in such matters they took for granted as an unalienable right of the people as well as the courts making law at all which they were never intended to do.

Actually I have seen that stuff but I will ask you AGAIN. What country do you live in that public prayer is outlawed or not allowed in most public places? Maybe you can answer this time.
:popcorn2:

You do know it was only added to the back of dollar bills in 1957 at the height of the commie scare, right?

Along with "one nation under God" to the pledge.

Not Christianity, just certain Christians.

More exact the judgment should be placed on certain people or jagoffs who happen to label themselves as christians ;)
But the christian label really doesnt have anything to do with their silliness.

More exact the judgment should be placed on certain people or jagoffs who happen to label themselves as christians ;)
But the christian label really doesnt have anything to do with their silliness.

True. I generally get the clue when within the first couple of sentences the poster proclaims tolerance then moves on to atheist preceded by a couple of negative adjectives.

Actually I have seen that stuff but I will ask you AGAIN. What country do you live in that public prayer is outlawed or not allowed in most public places? Maybe you can answer this time.

It would be easier to list those in which it is acceptable or legal. It's okay in the churches. Can't think of any other public places except maybe in a public park or on a city street.

True. I generally get the clue when within the first couple of sentences the poster proclaims tolerance then moves on to atheist preceded by a couple of negative adjectives.

Ahhh you mean when they display he exact opposite of christianity. My favorite are fellow christians that tell other christian they aren't really christians. So sad and they are exactly the problem.

It would be easier to list those in which it is acceptable or legal. It's okay in the churches. Can't think of any other public places except maybe in a public park or on a city street.

So basically you can't? got it, that's what I thought.
How about this, why don't you just qoute one of these laws that makes it illegal for public prayer in most public places :)

You might start with the Senate.

The Chaplain of the United States Senate opens each session of the United States Senate with a prayer, and provides and coordinates religious programs and pastoral care support for Senators, their staffs, and their families.

There are many public places where prayer is permitted and practiced.

this is a public opinion poll. there will be no insult slinging and there will be rational debate.

is america still the Christian nation we always were? all other "religions" have the right to practice freely and we should respect them even if they are wrong. however atheism isnt a religion so are they protected under the constitution? does anyone see us illegalizing atheism in the near future?

Christianity and America | Faith of Our Fathers

since this is a public opinion poll i expect fair and rational conversations.

we are a secular nation where Christians can believe what they want but are not free to change the lives of others against the will of others based on ther faith

and no religions supernatural claims have been proven

So basically you can't? got it, that's what I thought.
How about this, why don't you just qoute one of these laws that makes it illegal for public prayer in most public places :)

I did. You just missed it. Have a pleasant evening.

I did. You just missed it. Have a pleasant evening.

Why do you post lies? You didn't post any laws that makes it illegal for public prayer in most public places LMAO I know one thing we didn't miss, the dodge to my question and the lies you just got caught posting. Thanks btw you just helped make it one!

You might start with the Senate.

The Chaplain of the United States Senate opens each session of the United States Senate with a prayer, and provides and coordinates religious programs and pastoral care support for Senators, their staffs, and their families.

There are many public places where prayer is permitted and practiced.

That is true. But the rules that restrict us peons across the land rarely ever apply to our elected leaders. If I offered a generic prayer at our local elementary school here, there would be the devil to pay. And I would probably get shouted down if I tried to do it at a professional Isotopes game. It wouldn't necessarily be illegal but something doesn't have to be illegal in order to be effectively outlawed via political correctness.

As for those Senate prayers, we the taxpayer are paying those chaplains offering those prayers a lot of money:
U.S. Senate: Reference Home > Senate Organization > Chaplain's Office

The last I looked, the Senate Chaplain and his staff were paid:
Chaplain: $150,698
Chief of Staff: $129,223
Director of Communications: $86,056
Executive Assistant: $52,828

The members of the Senate can't offer a generic prayer themselves or invite a local pastor or rabbi or whatever to do it as a public service?

To me this is a blatant misuse of public funds. Our Senators can't find a good church and pastor or rabbi or whatever anywhere in Washington DC if they need pastoral counseling? Or if they all want to use the same one with office hours, they should pay this person out of their own pockets.

And there is also a Chaplain and staff that serves the House.

I read the poll.

Poll: america the christian nation?
yes we are still ruled by christianity
we are not as christian as we were

If I were forced to choose, I'd choose B since were never were a Christian nation, and we never were.

agree to disagree

Back
Top Bottom