• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

about those child detention centers

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Let's not let the news about Trump and his alienation of our allies and his apology for the US having been foolish and stupid drown out the ongoing scandal that is the treatment of children brought to the US by parents escaping violence in Central America. Here's an update:

The scathing report, filed in a Los Angeles federal court earlier this week, gives the first-hand accounts of more than 200 migrant children and parents who were held in Border Patrol stations, Immigration and Customs Enforcement facilities, and detention centers.
The children - who were detained under the Trump administration's "zero tolerance" policy - describe frozen food, filthy toilets, overcrowding, guards kicking their feet and mocking their situation, and children crying in cages.

Let's not let the news about Trump and his alienation of our allies and his apology for the US having been foolish and stupid drown out the ongoing scandal that is the treatment of children brought to the US by parents escaping violence in Central America. Here's an update:

Dude. That was last week's outrage. The media has moved on to Russia. I haven't seen next weeks outrage schedule yet.

Dude. That was last week's outrage. The media has moved on to Russia. I haven't seen next weeks outrage schedule yet.

If you're not outraged, then you haven't been paying attention.

You do have a point: The public's attention has gone from this outrage to the next one. There are so many to choose from currently. That's my point: Let's not allow the spectacle of a president alienating our allies while excusing Russia of having attempted to foment lack of confidence in our democratic traditions to drown out what is truly a horrifying example of government gone rogue.

This is completely unacceptable. Those detention centers are getting over a billion dollars to house those children - where the hell is the money going and how could this be happening?? This is incompetence at it's finest and needs to be corrected.

This is completely unacceptable. Those detention centers are getting over a billion dollars to house those children - where the hell is the money going and how could this be happening?? This is incompetence at it's finest and needs to be corrected.

Yes, over $700 per night per kid. They could have been given rooms in a four star hotel for less.

The children - who were detained under the Trump administration's "zero tolerance" policy - describe frozen food, filthy toilets, overcrowding, guards kicking their feet and mocking their situation, and children crying in cages.
Yikes!! Sounds like public school!

You do have a point: The public's attention has gone from this outrage to the next one. There are so many to choose from currently. That's my point: Let's not allow the spectacle of a president alienating our allies while excusing Russia of having attempted to foment lack of confidence in our democratic traditions to drown out what is truly a horrifying example of government gone rogue.

Although I understand your feelings. And I think I agree this policy of taking children was not the best and should be changed...

I think people completely misunderstand the actual situation... and have a lack of perspective.

You have these groups of people, and parents... that are smuggling themselves and kids across a desert in the middle of the night with extremely shady characters in which 90% of the woman who do this are raped. Not only are the parents committing a crime, but also forcing their child to do the same.
In my opinion, this is possible grounds for child and family services to take the children. These illegal immigrants are putting their children in danger. Incredibly irresponsible.

The illegal immigration black market is full of human traffickers, drug dealers, killers, gangsters.... putting a child through this environment is terrible.

1. The parents have little to zero money, they cannot properly provide for them
2. Have just committed a major crime, and had their child commit one too on their behalf
3. Have just put their child through extremely dangerous situations in order to commit that crime.

There is a very strong argument to me to think that these parents are too irresponsible to be taking care of their children.

Although I understand your feelings. And I think I agree this policy of taking children was not the best and should be changed...

I think people completely misunderstand the actual situation... and have a lack of perspective.

You have these groups of people, and parents... that are smuggling themselves and kids across a desert in the middle of the night with extremely shady characters in which 90% of the woman who do this are raped. Not only are the parents committing a crime, but also forcing their child to do the same.
In my opinion, this is possible grounds for child and family services to take the children. These illegal immigrants are putting their children in danger. Incredibly irresponsible.

The illegal immigration black market is full of human traffickers, drug dealers, killers, gangsters.... putting a child through this environment is terrible.

2. Have just committed a major crime, and had their child commit one too on their behalf
3. Have just put their child through extremely dangerous situations in order to commit that crime.

There is a very strong argument to me to think that these parents are too irresponsible to be taking care of their children.

True, you can't deny it's the parent's responsibility but don't you have to wonder, if these places are getting close to a billion dollars, why are these conditions like that?

It's not hard to figure out a way to humanely work out the situation within a reasonable budget, no?

True, you can't deny it's the parent's responsibility but don't you have to wonder, if these places are getting close to a billion dollars, why are these conditions like that?

It's not hard to figure out a way to humanely work out the situation within a reasonable budget, no?

You have much more confidence in government efficiency of budgets than I do.

The public voiced their opinion, and there are things being done to improve the situation... and that's how things are supposed to be done. Everything is working.

You have much more confidence in government efficiency of budgets than I do.

The public voiced their opinion, and there are things being done to improve the situation... and that's how things are supposed to be done. Everything is working.

You have much more confidence in government efficiency of improving things than I do. :2razz:

and you think they are putting themselves and their children in that sort of jeopardy because they're bad parents, or because the situation is even worse back home?

and you think they are putting themselves and their children in that sort of jeopardy because they're bad parents, or because the situation is even worse back home?

Illegal immigration is not a humanitarian cause... it's actually does a net harm.

There are children starving in africa... in gutters in India... being slaved in Libya...living in the jungle of Brazil... child soldiers in Sudan...
We aren't giving them a one way ticket here. That is not happening. And can't happen. These illegal immigrants are actually richer than most people in the world, they live in a much richer country, have more value and food.

Just because they are within walking distance to easily break the law doesn't make them any more special than anyone else in the world who wants to come here.

If you want to make a difference, start donating to help the communities in which these people come from... just encouraging the most ambitious among them to retreat is not helping anyone

I agree that if people are being mistreated it needs to be fixed. What I'm unclear about is what the complaining want done to fix it.

Do they want the government releasing children to anyone claiming guardianship that we can't confirm?

Are they expected to release adults out of custody in order to accommodate uniting children with their guardians

Should the government defy a court order and keep children in custody longer than 20 days and if not what should be done with them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

Illegal immigration is not a humanitarian cause... it's actually does a net harm.

There are children starving in africa... in gutters in India... being slaved in Libya...living in the jungle of Brazil... child soldiers in Sudan...
We aren't giving them a one way ticket here. That is not happening. And can't happen. These illegal immigrants are actually richer than most people in the world, they live in a much richer country, have more value and food.

Just because they are within walking distance to easily break the law doesn't make them any more special than anyone else in the world who wants to come here.

Walking here from El Salvador is "easy?"

Sure, illegal immigration is a problem. Taking children away from refugees is not solving that problem. All it does is enrich the people who are providing detention centers for those children at an outrageous profit to themselves.

There simply is no way to justify taking a four year old child from his parents and putting him in a detention center. Not even Trump is justifying it. Instead, he blamed the situation on the Democrats.

I agree that if people are being mistreated it needs to be fixed. What I'm unclear about is what the complaining want done to fix it.

Do they want the government releasing children to anyone claiming guardianship that we can't confirm?

Are they expected to release adults out of custody in order to accommodate uniting children with their guardians

Should the government defy a court order and keep children in custody longer than 20 days and if not what should be done with them

The children should not have been taken from their parents in the first place. Now that they have, mistreating them is not justified under any circumstances. Every effort needs to be made to reunite them with their families, even if that means flying them back to El Salvador where their parents have been deported.

2b7s2x.jpg

So...you want to reinvigorate THIS ****...because the Russia thing wore off in a matter of days. But odds are pretty good you wont want to talk about who BUILT those detention centers, or the fact that the pictures of those children in cages were from the Obama administration, or that while you are bleating on about a handful of children separated from their families because of their FAMILIES illegal actions, you will ignore the 70,000 children a year that were sent here....SEPARATED FROM THEIR FAMILIES...during the Obama administration or the fact that up to 25,000 of them a YEAR were kept in those cages-during the Obama administration. You wont want to talk about the children that DNA testing has now proved didnt even belong with the people they were taken from and in fact some of those 'parents' were in fact predators, child molesters, wanted for murder, or were outright coyotes trafficking in children and CANT be returned because they werent even with their parents. Yeah...ou probably wont want to talk about some of the parents that are being kept from their children because it has been determined they have diseases.

Nah...you want to stir up the Trump poutrage...again...til the next opportunity for poutrage comes along.

Walking here from El Salvador is "easy?"

Sure, illegal immigration is a problem. Taking children away from refugees is not solving that problem. All it does is enrich the people who are providing detention centers for those children at an outrageous profit to themselves.

There simply is no way to justify taking a four year old child from his parents and putting him in a detention center. Not even Trump is justifying it. Instead, he blamed the situation on the Democrats.

I understand why it happened. It's a tough situation.

It's sad, but that's what happens to a kid whose parents are caught doing something criminal. If the facilities aren't good enough to keep the child there, on top of EVERYTHING i mentioned before... I see why they did that.

I understand why it happened. It's a tough situation.

It's sad, but that's what happens to a kid whose parents are caught doing something criminal. If the facilities aren't good enough to keep the child there, on top of EVERYTHING i mentioned before... I see why they did that.

They did it because they thought they could. When the brown gooey hit the air moving device, they backed off.

The children should not have been taken from their parents in the first place. Now that they have, mistreating them is not justified under any circumstances. Every effort needs to be made to reunite them with their families, even if that means flying them back to El Salvador where their parents have been deported.
That's the rub in this. You say they should not of been separated to begin with but it's not like the government is actively looking for children to take into custody. They are being caught at unauthorized points of entry.

By all rights I see no reason why the government could not prosecute the children as well as the adults. They choose not for obvious reasons but legally they would be in the right to charge the children too. So I guess one option is to begin charging children and putting them into juvenile halls until they can see a judge.

They could secure the border and force these people into authorized points of entry, where the flow could be controlled. People would be forced to wait outside the border until they could be processed.

They could deport everyone who can't be processed in less than 20 days and get back in touch with them later

I mean any option I give you will be deemed unacceptable but I have not heard anyone suggest something that is acceptable other than reinstating catch and release which has proven to be a problem. The overwhelming majority of them are not voluntarily returning for their court dates.

If I dragged my kids across the desert in the USA, Child Protective Services would have taken my kids from me and charged me with endangerment.

If I dragged my kids across the desert in the USA, Child Protective Services would have taken my kids from me and charged me with endangerment.

If the alternative was to stay where they're likely to be shot, then what?

If the alternative was to stay where they're likely to be shot, then what?

Then maybe every thug in Chicago should move to your neighborhood. After all, they are Americans too.

There are 1.5 billion adults that would qualify for asylum if they could get here. Do you think you can give our country away without a fight?

Since you REALLY want to talk about them...

THIS GUY built those detention centers...

th.jpg

Since it poutraged you so...

OBAMA put these kids in that cage.

RTR3UIYE-1-1.jpg
RTR3UIYE-1-1.jpg

You remember that image...right? Its the picture that launched millions of leftists and their poutrage. What did they say? Whoever would do this to children should GO TO HELL!!! I believe that was their exact words.

Back
Top Bottom