• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A black off-duty cop tried to help stop a crime. Another officer shot him.

One of the last things they instruct at the police academy (at least here in CA) and one of the absolutely first things rammed into your brain during FTO when you're a freshly minted rookie cop is, "Be a good witness."

IOW, if you're off duty/out of uniform, do NOT get directly involved unless someone's life is in immediate danger.

While I understand that perspective, it flies in the face of the NRA's mantra, "...good guy with a gun". However, I can understand the first arresting officer's immediate reaction. He doesn't know if the Black male approaching him is a good Samaritan or if he was the one armed suspect that got away and maybe was coming back to help his friend(s) OR if the guy was just coming around to harassed the cops. So, IMO the arresting officer's action were sound. The other officer who arrived on the scene after the fact, however, acted very inappropriately. It was his job to inquire of the arresting officer if he required assistance. He did not. Instead, he gave the same old tired excuse when an officer conducts himself inappropriately:

I feared for my life.

I'm tired of cops in general but White police officers specifically shooting Black men and using "I feared for my life" or "He failed to comply" as cover for their inappropriate actions. I realize that police work is dangerous, but it's time these cops try this on for size: IF YOU'RE THAT DAMNED SCARED OF BEING SHOT, GET OUT OF POLICE WORK!

Last edited:
Hey everyone, this fellow wants us to believe he lives in Florida where practically everyone walks around with a gun.

Are you always concerned? How many folks have you shot to date? Jeez, I can't imagine living in Florida where 1 in 3 folks owns a gun, and not spending my day on the constant lookout. At the convenience store, at a Macy's, in the bathroom of a high priced club.

I truly care less what you think. Fl is not Open carry, so no, 1 in 3 Floridians do not walk around holding a gun in their hand....:roll:

A visibly armed person triggers a threat response far easier than someone who is not visibility armed and this really isn't hard to understand.

in the below video there is a 'suspect' that was involved in a traffic accident aka fender bender

'suspect' was shot by the officer because the officer thought the 'suspect' was aiming a wallet at him

how rich is that?

Hey everyone, this fellow wants us to believe he lives in Florida where practically everyone walks around with a gun.

Are you always concerned? How many folks have you shot to date? Jeez, I can't imagine living in Florida where 1 in 3 folks owns a gun, and not spending my day on the constant lookout. At the convenience store, at a Macy's, in the bathroom of a high priced club.

I lived in FL for 7 years and never saw anyone with a gun.

I truly care less what you think. Fl is not Open carry, so no, 1 in 3 Floridians do not walk around holding a gun in their hand....:roll:

I lived in FL for 7 years and never saw anyone with a gun.

gun-ownership-study-state-map.png

Born and raised in fl, the only time I have seen people holding guns was hunters in the woods, I guess he believes folks just walk around holding guns. Evidently he has never visited.

Zimmie did.

I grew up in SC all my life, some...20 years, and, outside of my dads guns, hunting, and boys outs, I never saw anyone with a gun there, either.

What part of Fl is not Open carry do you not get?

It's almost like you forget what you respond to:

I can't imagine living in Florida where 1 in 3 folks owns a gun, and not spending my day on the constant lookout. At the convenience store, at a Macy's, in the bathroom of a high priced club.

I claim that 1/3 Floridians own a gun, and question how you're not in constant duck & cover move. You then switch OWN with 'do not walk around holding a gun' and seem to be rolling your eyes at having disproved a claim I didn't make because not a single part of the police report states that's what happened.

That's a really lazy attempt at strawmaning your way out of your own conclusion. Lol, have you caught on to the fact that the cops who reported the incident did not report a threat?

They probably don't know what happened as well you do.

Post a link where he just walked around Holding a gun as a usual practice.

He murdered an unarmed kid bobo, and guns don't kill people, people kill people, perhaps the gun held itself.

I grew up in SC all my life, some...20 years, and, outside of my dads guns, hunting, and boys outs, I never saw anyone with a gun there, either.

I'm starting to sense a general pattern where seeing people as you were growing up just wasn't a thing.

I'm starting to sense a general pattern where seeing people as you were growing up just wasn't a thing.

Not with guns. Saw plenty of people. To my knowledge, none of them were packing.

I don't understand people who make a demonstrably false (and ridiculous) claim, then double down on it ....:roll:

Which claim did I make, Bob?

What is strange

A couple of months ago or so a civilian with a gun came to the aid of a police officer who was shot killing the suspect.

Not one reply said he was at fault for openly carrying his gun as he came up to the crime scene. Nothing but praise first helping. With its recall calls for more people to do the same. Yet when someone (all bit it an off duty cop) comes to help her is being blamed.

That being nervous over an approaching stranger with a gun in hand is overreacting, not in those exact words.

Lmao, Oh Bob! You're being hilariously dishonest in this argument. I don't think you'll find that in my posts.

Anyways, the statistic of 1/3 that I cited. What did it relate to?

Zero mention of the gun being used in a threatening manner in the police report. Why would a black person not using their gun in a threatening manner, be relevant to the issue?

Because it could happen?

Given the context of the story, and the growing perceptions regarding police and race relations, "threatening manner" is somewhat irrelevant.

Given the context of the story, and the growing perceptions regarding police and race relations, "threatening manner" is somewhat irrelevant.

I agree. We're starting to see that it does not matter who the person approaching is. It use to be that Michael Brown was a thug, so was Treyvon Martin and that was enough for them to be seen as threats. Then, Castille happened and it was no longer about him being a thug, but allegedly reaching for a gun in a situation they had zero need to as he was lawfully in possession of his gun.

Now, it's simply because some people with guns are scary even if they're law abiding officers. They can be shot if the time of day, visibility and jumpiness is right.

Back
Top Bottom