• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A black off-duty cop tried to help stop a crime. Another officer shot him.

The OP said the off-duty cop grabbed his gun and headed to the scene. Applying common sense, where was the gun?

When he was on the ground I would assume not within reach.

Well the officer may actually be in trouble this time since he shot a fellow cop.

Oh I am sure he is. Hope he does not **** that way.

Or, the off-duty cop could have done a better job of identifying himself. If you were the off-duty cop, would you want to make sure you don't get smoked on accident? I know I would.

Identifying himself to a person who shot him before assessing who he was.

Lmao. Apdst is so far removed from reality on this, its funny

This was sent from Putin's computer using Donald's credentials.

The OP said the off-duty cop grabbed his gun and headed to the scene. Applying common sense, where was the gun?

You can assume the gun was in his hand when the off-duty cop first arrived on the scene. That would make perfect sense considering he was coming to the aid of a fellow officer. However, since he was stopped by the first on-scene officer who quickly identified him as an off-duty officer and, thus, assessed that he wasn't a threat AND that his assistance wasn't required, I think it's reasonable to assume that the off-duty officer put his gun away (i.e., in his waist-band) once he was effectively given the "ALL CLEAR".

I've re-read the OP article just to re-acquaint myself with the basic facts as outlined leading up to the off-duty officer being shot. Here's a recap from the article. Pay very close attention to what transpired in the second bullet point:

1. He (off-duty officer) arrived (on the scene) as the other officers were carrying out the arrest.

2. The other officers ordered the off-duty officer to the ground, then recognized him as a fellow policeman and told him to stand up and walk toward them.

3. As he approached, another officer arrived and shot the off-duty officer in the arm.

So, if the officers who were carrying out the arrest could take the time to see someone who is armed approaching them, give clear instructions to halt his approach, recognize that the man is not a threat and de-escalate the situation by giving further clear instructions, and thus, PERMISSION for the off-duty cop to approach by S-L-O-W-L-Y walking towards them, why the hell couldn't this other officer who arrived late to the scene not do the exact same thing?

Even if the off-duty officer did still have his gun in his hand, it's clear from the article that the arresting officers already had things well under control. Why couldn't the officer who arrived late to the scene do basic police work and at the very least simply ask his fellow officers, "Do you require assistance?" or at worse instruct the armed man to "HALT! Get on the ground (and put down your weapon)," like his fellow officers did before he arrived on the scene?

Why?

It's time you stopped defending this cop's improper actions and admit you got this one wrong.

Last edited:
You can assume the gun was in his hand when the off-duty cop first arrived on the scene. That would make perfect sense considering he was coming to the aid of a fellow officer. However, since he was stopped by the first on-scene officer who quickly identified him as an off-duty officer and, thus, assessed that he wasn't a threat AND that his assistance wasn't required, I think it's reasonable to assume that the off-duty officer put his gun away (i.e., in his waist-band) once he was effectively given the "ALL CLEAR".

I've re-read the OP article just to re-acquaint myself with the basic facts as outlined leading up to the off-duty officer being shot. Here's a recap from the article. Pay very close attention to what transpired in the second bullet point:

So, if the officers who were carrying out the arrest could take the time to see someone who is armed approaching them, give clear instructions to halt his approach, recognize that the man is not a threat and de-escalate the situation by giving further clear instructions, and thus, PERMISSION for the off-duty cop to approach by S-L-O-W-L-Y walking towards them, why the hell couldn't this other officer who arrived late to the scene not do the exact same thing?

Even if the off-duty officer did still have his gun in his hand, it's clear from the article that the arresting officers already had things well under control. Why couldn't the officer who arrived late to the scene do basic police work and at the very least simply ask his fellow officers, "Do you require assistance?" or at worse instruct the armed man to "HALT! Get on the ground (and put down your weapon)," like his fellow officers did before he arrived on the scene?

Why?

It's time you stopped defending this cop's improper actions and admit you got this one wrong.

I'm not defending anything. I'm simply pointing out that the off-duty officer isn't absolutely blameless. I know I'm pissing on you all's race card party, but that's how it goes.

The fact is, police officers are afraid of getting shot. To say they shouldn't be cops because of it is one the most idiotic things I've ever heard. Because of that reality, things can get out of control very quickly. The facts of the case prove that the off-duty cop could have conducted himself differently and he wouldn't have gotten shot.

Could the third responding officer have acted differently? Sure. Does he carry 100% of the blame? No.

I'm not defending anything. I'm simply pointing out that the off-duty officer isn't absolutely blameless. I know I'm pissing on you all's race card party, but that's how it goes.

Slow your roll there, trigger. I've tried very hard not to make this issue about race. For me, it's really been about right and wrong and bad police work. But I'm not prepared to say race didn't play a part in this. It's possible the officer who fired the shot only saw a potential threat. It's also possible he saw a Black man with (or without) a gun and made an automatic assumption based on the level of violence he's experienced in that part of the community that is disproportionately perpetrated by people of color. I'm not in his head; but one thing is clear: He fired a shot without taking any of the steps his fellow officers conducted prior to his arrival.

The fact is, police officers are afraid of getting shot. To say they shouldn't be cops because of it is one the most idiotic things I've ever heard. Because of that reality, things can get out of control very quickly.

Actually, it makes perfect sense.

Police officers know there's a chance they could get shot and killed every day they're on patrol out in the streets. Firemen accept that they may go into a burning building and not come out on any given day. Doctors and paramedics accept that they may not save the life of a patient who enters their emergency room or their ambulance. These are the facts of their jobs and the risks they take every day. If they aren't willing to accept the risks that come with the job, THEY SHOULD FIND ANOTHER JOB!

The facts of the case prove that the off-duty cop could have conducted himself differently and he wouldn't have gotten shot.

The fact is that the off-duty cop complied with the instructions from the first group of police officers who were on the scene and they deemed he was not a threat. That is the fact of this case. As such, he had no obligation to convince any other officer who subsequently arrived on the scene AND FAILED TO PROPERLY ASSESS THE SITUATION to show himself as being non-threatening. That was the responsibility of the police officer who was new to the scene.

Could the third responding officer have acted differently? Sure. Does he carry 100% of the blame? No.

Wow! :shock: Finally, an admission that the officer who shot the off-duty cop was in the wrong. You're still trying to lay blame at the off-duty cop's feet though. I disagree with your assessment, but we'll just have to see what a (Grand/civil) jury or judge has to say about it.

Last edited:
I think, once again, what this case shows is that not everyone should be a cop. Was this an example of racism? I don't know. Really. I don't care. Even a racist cop could/should have avoided shooting at the off-duty officer. I guess, my point here is, an innocent guy was shot by a cop who made a bad decision and that bad decision was irrelevant to whether the off-duty cop was black or white. Either way, it appears to have been a mistake/sign of incompetency. Another cop who fired his weapon in panic. The guy shouldn't be a cop. Whether he is racist isn't the central question. The other cops may have been racist too. However, if they avoided firing their weapons at the guy, then they have shown that they can separate their beliefs from their job.

Slow your roll there, trigger. I've tried very hard not to make this issue about race. For me, it's really been about right and wrong and bad police work. But I'm not prepared to say race didn't play a part in this. It's possible the officer who fired the shot only saw a potential threat. It's also possible he saw a Black man with (or without) a gun and made an automatic assumption based on the level of violence he's experienced in that part of the community that is disproportionately perpetrated by people of color. I'm not in his head; but one thing is clear: He fired a shot without taking any of the steps his fellow officers conducted prior to his arrival.

Actually, it makes perfect sense.

Police officers know there's a chance they could get shot and killed every day they're on patrol out in the streets. Firemen accept that they may go into a burning building and not come out on any given day. Doctors and paramedics accept that they may not save the life of a patient who enters their emergency room or their ambulance. These are the facts of their jobs and the risks they take every day. If they aren't willing to accept the risks that come with the job, THEY SHOULD FIND ANOTHER JOB!

The fact is that the off-duty cop complied with the instructions from the first group of police officers who were on the scene and they deemed he was not a threat. That is the fact of this case. As such, he had no obligation to convince any other officer who subsequently arrived on the scene AND FAILED TO PROPERLY ASSESS THE SITUATION to show himself as being non-threatening. That was the responsibility of the police officer who was new to the scene.

Wow! :shock: Finally, an admission that the officer who shot the off-duty cop was in the wrong. You're still trying to lay blame at the off-duty cop's feet though. I disagree with your assessment, but we'll just have to see what a (Grand/civil) jury or judge has to say about it.

If the off-duty cop was white you wouldn't even care and you know it.

That isn't what you said. I can quote you, if you want. Although, your revision is no less idiotic.

If the off-duty cop was white you wouldn't even care and you know it.

How the hell do you know how I'd feel about it?

That isn't what you said. I can quote you, if you want. Although, your revision is no less idiotic.

I don't need you to quote what I said. I'll do it myself. Here...

I'm tired of cops in general but White police officers specifically shooting Black men and using "I feared for my life" or "He failed to comply" as cover for their inappropriate actions. I realize that police work is dangerous, but it's time these cops try this on for size: IF YOU'RE THAT DAMNED SCARED OF BEING SHOT, GET OUT OF POLICE WORK!

Yes, I spoke to the racial aspect of the shooting...true enough...but I also spoke on the question of bad policing overall which remains the overall tenure of my discussions here. If all you want to see is race, well that's on you. But what I saw in this - first and foremost- was bad policing that happened to be conducted by a White police officer unto a Black man who was also a fellow police officer who was mistaken for being a "thug".

So, again I get it...the officer who fired the shot might very well have had "criminal element/bad neighborhood/armed suspect/gotta help my fellow police officers" on his mind. Ok...fine. But do good policing before jumping head-first into a situation you know very little if anything about.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom