• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

2024 Gas Prices WAY Down! What Are You Paying For Gas?

A fraction of what the rest of the developed world is paying.

Americans love to bitch about what they pay at the pumps, but it hasn't kept them from buying more and more SUVs, and cars with much worse MPG ratings. If your car is getting 25mpg or less, then you can cut that in half by driving something that gets 50mpg or more. They've been on the market for a long time already.

Yeah, it's like complaining about the price of food when you could just cut what you consume in half.

What if someone already has a car that gets 50 mpg? Are they allowed to complain?

When I was traveling last week, it was three something.

Last time I filled up, gas was just over $3 per gallon and I thought that was pretty cheap. Today I paid $2.62 per gallon, lowest price I've seen in a long time.

What are you paying for gas in your area?

It was 2.60 something a few weeks ago at the cheapest places. It's since crept up to about 3.00.

It can vary quite a bit though. 10 miles and one town over sees the price go up 45 cents. And in that town, I notice every station has the exact same price.

At $2.60 to $3.00 you are paying similar prices as you were in Jan 2018. Differences is that your wages have risen considerably since then, so gas is now officially cheaper under Biden than under Trump, other than during the 2020 economic crash period.

Last time I filled up, gas was just over $3 per gallon and I thought that was pretty cheap. Today I paid $2.62 per gallon, lowest price I've seen in a long time.

3.05 in VT. I cross the border to VT because NY runs about 30 cents higher.

That's for reg. unleaded

Last edited:
$3.24 for premium, $2.67 for regular unleaded

Around 3.00 for a gallon of 87 octane around here. :)

Trump-Gas-Price-Tweet.jpg

3.05 in VT. I cross the border to VT because NY runs about 30 cents higher.

That's for reg. unleaded
Thanks for your reply. I also only use regular unleaded.

Right now I'm in Hawai'i for the winter, prices here are about $5.35 a gallon. Back home in upstate NY I think it's a little less than $3.00.

Last edited:

gas buddy says its currently 2.93 to 3.49 within a 15 mil radius here south of Pittsburgh

to be honest I rarely pay attention, of course i like when its cheaper but i need gas so it is what it is

gas buddy says its currently 2.93 to 3.49 within a 15 mil radius here south of Pittsburgh

to be honest I rarely pay attention, of course i like when its cheaper but i need gas so it is what it is
I'm like you, I never hunt around to save a couple of cents and don't think about the cost very much, as with everything I buy. If I need it, want it, I pay the price.

A fraction of what the rest of the developed world is paying.

Americans love to bitch about what they pay at the pumps, but it hasn't kept them from buying more and more SUVs, and cars with much worse MPG ratings. If your car is getting 25mpg or less, then you can cut that in half by driving something that gets 50mpg or more. They've been on the market for a long time already.

My Scion Xa gets about 45 per gallon so I normally drive that when it's just me.
But with Karen we have to drive the Pacifica wheelchair van, which is a 6000 pound brick that gets 30 mpg freeway but only 17 mpg city.

Since Joe got blamed for the gas price increasing, does Biden now get credit for the gas lowering in price? 🤔
Nope. He didn't set interest rates to curtail inflation. Federal Reserve Board did that.

Comparison Table​

DateCost per Gallon#Average Wage
per hour
Minutes per Gallon
Average Worker
Minimum Wage
per hour**
Minutes per Gallon
Minimum Wage Worker
192421¢62.6¢20.13–*
193117¢41.2¢24.7510¢*102
195027¢95¢17.0575¢21.6
1981$1.22$7.429.87$3.1023.61
1992$1.09$12.455.25$4.2515.39
2008$3.22$15.5712.41$6.5529.50
2019$2.50$25.725.83$7.2520.68
2022$3.80$29.767.66$7.25***31.45
June 2023$3.56$29.76##7.18$7.25***29.46
*No Federal Minimum Wage – Lowest Wage Earned

$2.28 per gallon today at Costco. Other local stations are all around $2.42 per gallon.

Costco Ankeny Warehouse

Gas Hours
Mon-Fri.
6:00am - 9:00pm
Sat.
7:00am - 7:00pm
Sun.
7:00am - 7:00pm

Regular
$2.289
Premium
$2.839

Yeah, it's like complaining about the price of food when you could just cut what you consume in half.
No ... it is nothing at all like that. A false equivalency if ever there was one.
What if someone already has a car that gets 50 mpg? Are they allowed to complain?
Anyone is allowed to complain, but when our European allies are paying twice or three times as much as we pay, then they just sound like whining fools.

I drive a Prius that gets over 50 mpg. I only have to put gas in it about once every 4 to 6 weeks. Even when gas is expensive, I really don’t notice much of a difference in cost to me because it uses so little of it.

That said, I feel for farmers, ranchers and folks that have to drive a truck for work when gas is expensive. However, I don’t have a lot of sympathy for the guys in 60k trucks without a scratch in the bed.

According to gasbuddy, its about 2.80/gal in my local area.

2.60ish at my local Costco where I tend to get gas.

Last edited:
No ... it is nothing at all like that. A false equivalency if ever there was one.

Anyone is allowed to complain, but when our European allies are paying twice or three times as much as we pay, then they just sound like whining fools.
If it is a false equivalency, you should explain why, instead of just saying that. Anyone can say anything.

What does someone who is complaining about them complaining sound like?

What in the hell do "European allies" have to do with it? Sounds like, "Eat your vegetables Tommy. People are starving in India."

Gas is high in CA because of their pollution cult.

Ford sent me a letter telling me my 2012 F-250 would not be able to be registered in CA. If I wanted to though, they would would reprogram my emission module at no cost.

CA has many ways to suck your finances

Add gas to it.

I drive a Prius that gets over 50 mpg. I only have to put gas in it about once every 4 to 6 weeks. Even when gas is expensive, I really don’t notice much of a difference in cost to me because it uses so little of it.

That said, I feel for farmers, ranchers and folks that have to drive a truck for work when gas is expensive. However, I don’t have a lot of sympathy for the guys in 60k trucks without a scratch in the bed.

Yeah, **** them guys. Hell do they need a truck like that for anyway? You should see my neighbor who just brought home a new boat. Hell does he need that for? And those guys with Teslas complaining about the cost of putting some new Duracells in it? Who would have any sympathy for them? Not me.

:) Chevrolet kindly put a bed liner in my truck and my wife's truck, so we don't get scratches. And I have a little shitbox car for when I get tired of $100 fill ups.

Back
Top Bottom