• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What to do about the gun problem?

What gun problem? I mean other than criminal or the mentally unstable obtaining guns illegally.

Has there actually been a case where a legal gun owner has gone on a shooting spree? I can't think of a single case, but I don't know everything.

Today's mass shooting at the FL airport might count. ;)

40 caliber rounds shot out of certain guns-the GLOCK 22 especially, tend to get a bulge at the end of the case (down by the primer). when you reload them with conventional dies, that bulge still exists and often won't allow the reloads to function properly. I don't know the reason for white box winchester which normally works pretty well in most guns. When I reload range brass 40s for my son's STI 1911 (which has a full supported barrel which prevents the bulging) I use what is called a "push through die which eliminates the bulge

I think a lot of it is the gun is only been out a few times, early Christmas gift.

I'm looking to upgrade my reloader from the hand me down I have. Do you have any suggestions?

Last edited:
I think a lot of it is the gun is only been out a few times, early Christmas gift.

I'm looking to upgrade my reminder, from the hand me down I have. Do you have any suggestions?

I suggest 9mm as your basic semi auto round. what are the main uses of the firearm. give me an Idea of what you want to spend. Chances are I have owned it or have significant experience with it.

for range use and home defense its hard to beat a CZ SP01 or its slightly lighter CZ75. They are a bit heavy for every day carry. the Smith and Wesson MP is my favorite of the polymer framed pistols and its good for range use, home defense and can be carried by larger individuals.

but there are dozens of good choices. I compete with the CZ line of handguns and keep a CZSP01 with a flashlight on it in my night stand. I keep a SW MP in 40 (its 10 years old and it has the DHS 135 grain rounds in it) in my car. For CCW I like the SIG 938 for really small pistols and the SW Shield as a second choice and when its winter and I am wearing a heavier jacket, a SW MP compact or a SIG 229

True. I have over thirty guns here. None of 'em do a damn thing. Make ya wonder why intent is such a big deal when it comes to crime. Near as I can tell, none of them guns intend to do a damn thing. It's downright depressing. They're just like my dinnerware...

Except that when you carve a roast with a 12 gauge it gets kinda messy....

I think there have been a couple. Cho at Va Tech purchased his guns at a Roanoke store 1 gun at a time while Wilder's 1 gun a month law was in effect. I believe that the Aurora shooter used guns he legally owned.

Cho is interesting since it shows the futility of coming at the problem from the perspective of banning guns. It's a people problem, and as long as you have people you have a people problem.

I'd have to agree. It's a people problem, and not a gun problem. A gun is a tool, nothing more. How someone uses (or misuses) a tool is what matters most.

The same things probably happened when mankind invented knives, or swords, or lances, or . . . . the list just goes on and on.

Today's mass shooting at the FL airport might count. ;)

OK. Fair enough, now that that information has come out, as well as he was hearing voices (I think), and the government was making him watch ISIS videos on the Internet.

Yeah, that's be a nutjob, which is the other case of the wrong tools being in the wrong hands.

I am exasperated with all of the mass shootings. We have entirely too many guns in this country and something needs to be done now! You people that think the right to own 20 guns and 10 tons of ammunition, what do you want done about this? It's time to start talking about reducing gun violence and not talking about "freedumb".
Guns are not the problem, People are.
When we learn to deal with the Mental Health issue we have been sweeping under the rug for way too long then we might be able to slow these sorts of terrible acts. To stop them all is impossible, period. So until we wake up nothing will change, no gun laws that are Constitutional will make the least bit of difference, period.
Deal with the actual problem and we can make a difference, focus on guns without any thought and we will not change a thing.
I own guns in the numbers you quoted and have lots and lots of ammo, and for good reasons. I have served this Nation and was actually one of those trained killers from the military that people want to claim are so dangerous, yet I have never used a weapon on an innocent person and never even considered going off the deep end, those that legally own guns rarely do so unless it is to kill themselves and that brings us back to the real issue, Mental Health. Deal with it or repeat the same tragic events over and over.
Oh and if you did not know already, I am a Liberal, ask anyone here, not only right wingers believe in common sense and our Rights per the Consitution.

I am exasperated with all of the mass shootings. We have entirely too many guns in this country and something needs to be done now! You people that think the right to own 20 guns and 10 tons of ammunition, what do you want done about this? It's time to start talking about reducing gun violence and not talking about "freedumb".

I'm on board with actually punishing any and all illegal activity regarding illegal guns and crimes with a gun. What else can we do?

What else can we do?

thousands-of-guns-are-destroyed-in-ciudad-juarez-chihuahua-state-on-picture-id139110746

40 caliber rounds shot out of certain guns-the GLOCK 22 especially, tend to get a bulge at the end of the case (down by the primer). when you reload them with conventional dies, that bulge still exists and often won't allow the reloads to function properly. I don't know the reason for white box winchester which normally works pretty well in most guns. When I reload range brass 40s for my son's STI 1911 (which has a full supported barrel which prevents the bulging) I use what is called a "push through die which eliminates the bulge
Good points.

But it makes beautiful third eyes.

No doubt I wouldn't want to get hit with one. I'm certain that the sting from even a .22 is not something I'd wish upon anyone. But I'd feel more comfortable with the brute knockdown punching power of a .40 than a weakly 9mm.

Great idea, but how do you get the guns from people's homes, into that pile? Exactly.

I can't see one weapon in that pile of rubbish that looks like it would even fire.

I'm looking to upgrade my reloader from the hand me down I have. Do you have any suggestions?

How many calibers do you plan to load for, and how much do you shoot each month?

I can't see one weapon in that pile of rubbish that looks like it would even fire.

Yep. Reminds me of those idiotic, " buyback programs".

How many calibers do you plan to load for, and how much do you shoot each month?

for average shooters the Dillon Square Deal is the best choice. I have one set up for 380-a caliber that I am never going to change the recipe for

for someone who loads a few calibers the Dillion 550 is the most versatile

if you are doing high volume loading of one caliber-like a steel shooter shooting 9mm, the Dillon 650 with the case feeder is the way to go. I have the big 1050s but the primer system on them sucks mainly because its after the resizing station due to the primer-crimp stage.

Last edited:

This doesn't answer my question.
Where did those guns come from and how did they get there, why is the army there, what country is that and what rights/laws do they have?

No doubt I wouldn't want to get hit with one. I'm certain that the sting from even a .22 is not something I'd wish upon anyone. But I'd feel more comfortable with the brute knockdown punching power of a .40 than a weakly 9mm.
As they say, to each their own. Well as long as one hits what one is aiming to.

The gun problem I have is that my guns spend too much time coped up in my safe and don't get to stretch their legs out at the range.

oooh, you're in it now....

What gun problem? I mean other than criminal or the mentally unstable obtaining guns illegally.

Has there actually been a case where a legal gun owner has gone on a shooting spree? I can't think of a single case, but I don't know everything.

Big Lebowski.jpg

What are the root causes of the violence? Start there if you want the problem fixed.

Back
Top Bottom