• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What to do about the gun problem?

Of course there is denial. Guns were invented as weapons used to kill people far more effectively than before. Most infants here wouldn't need that explaining for them.

And metal knives were invented for the exact same reason. The purpose that the possessor puts either to is where the rub lies.

Of course there is denial. Guns were invented as weapons used to kill people far more effectively than before. Most infants here wouldn't need that explaining for them.

So what?? Is that a bad thing in every instance? I would say that is a good thing in most instances. It is that very threat that makes them useful.

So what?? Is that a bad thing in every instance? I would say that is a good thing in most instances. It is that very threat that makes them useful.

public safety has nothing to deal with the constant crimes for a foreign nation to be forcibly disarmed.

I am exasperated with all of the mass shootings. We have entirely too many guns in this country and something needs to be done now! You people that think the right to own 20 guns and 10 tons of ammunition, what do you want done about this? It's time to start talking about reducing gun violence and not talking about "freedumb".

Your entire post is disjointed and nonsensical. Owning 20 guns is totally unrelated to mass murders, since only one gun would be needed to kill people. So the other 19 remain stored. What's your point?

Like I said you may want to brush up on your physics a bit. If you don't feel like reading I think mythbusters did an episode on it. You should start there.

You guys may brush up on your understanding of sarcasm.

I am exasperated with all of the mass shootings. We have entirely too many guns in this country and something needs to be done now! You people that think the right to own 20 guns and 10 tons of ammunition, what do you want done about this? It's time to start talking about reducing gun violence and not talking about "freedumb".

I'm going to start off by saying that I know very well that you are not representative of most Progressives.

That said:

1: I'd encourage more gun ownership.

2: Anyone that considers Freedom as "freedumb" is most definitely not someone that I want anywhere near me or mine and I'm thanking everything possible that you do not live near me. And if you do happen to...I'm thankful that I do not know anyone with such a stupid mindset.

An armed society is a more polite society. -- Robert A. Heinlein

I agree. Gun control really only results in criminals having guns. I believe gun ownership should be encouraged and gun safety taught in schools.

I agree. Gun control really only results in criminals having guns. I believe gun ownership should be encouraged and gun safety taught in schools.

Lovely sentiment but why should gun safety rather that why citizens should be allowed to own guns be taught in schools?

Are gun owners irresponsible or unsafe now that you suggest it needs some training and education?

I'm not against some training but not to the exclusion of teaching people about their rights and personal safety which are an order of magnitude more important.

We need people who will grow up with an appreciation of the magnificent effort the founding fathers made to ensure their rights were at least written into law. However without defence and appreciation they cease to exist.

I'm exasperated with believers that seem to lack common sense and and ability to reason making demands that will only serve to endanger the public.

So in fairness to your claims can you show any evidence other than a belief that guns in anyway cause these mass killings that support this claim of yours?

Can you explain how guns cause these mass killings because this is an obvious requirement to trying to prevent with removal?

Now that is the kind of reasoning that is entirely missing I am so exasperated about. Surely in this modern age of instant access to knowledge there can be no excuse for a lack of facts to use in examination of claims.

Lovely sentiment but why should gun safety rather that why citizens should be allowed to own guns be taught in schools?

Are gun owners irresponsible or unsafe now that you suggest it needs some training and education?

I'm not against some training but not to the exclusion of teaching people about their rights and personal safety which are an order of magnitude more important.

We need people who will grow up with an appreciation of the magnificent effort the founding fathers made to ensure their rights were at least written into law. However without defence and appreciation they cease to exist.

I believe that most childhood gun injuries are due to ignorance negligence. We can't always do much about being negligent but education helps and education definitely helps with the ignorance part of it. I think for all of us, understanding really does help make aware. The earlier people (kids) realize they are more than Halloween props, the better.

I see it more like a driver's education class. Teach basic safety, how to load, unload, make safe, make secure, etc.

Edit: Missed the point of your first sentence... They most definitely need to be taught "why" as well.

I can understand how you, or anyone in the US could be tired of gun related/firearm violence; I'm sick of it too. You suggest the problem is there are too many guns but I don't agree with your opinion. I don't see an issue with someone owning 20 guns & all the ammo they need for those guns; that is not the problem. Firearms, and the ammo that we use with firearms are inanimate objects; it requires the action of a human to make these inanimate objects lethal.

The problem in my opinion is a complete lack of respect for firearms by those that commit stupid acts of violence with firearms.

I was trained how to operate a rifle when I was six years old. I was informed how to respect firearms, what to do with them, and what NOT to do with them. I learned this all at a very early age, and it made a lasting, life long impression upon me.

There are a GAZILLION different laws on the books concerning firearms; do we need to add even more? NO. I mean Hell no.

If people are irresponsible to the point of committing crimes with guns then we should put them in a prison cell for a very long time & throw away the key.

Respect for firearms can be taught & learned, just as respect for just about anything can be taught & learned BUT some folks are just too asinine to respect anything. There is the problem; guns are not the problem.

Impeding the rights of LAWFUL gun owners will do nothing to stop idiots that utilize firearms for nefarious motives ...............

That should be a very short class. "Kids, today we are going to talk about why citizens should be allowed to own guns."

"The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution states "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.""

"Now, lets go over our colors again..."

I am exasperated with all of the mass shootings. We have entirely too many guns in this country and something needs to be done now! You people that think the right to own 20 guns and 10 tons of ammunition, what do you want to be done about this? It's time to start talking about reducing gun violence and not talking about "freedom".
Ban murder, that should do the trick.

We do not have a gun problem. Guns are inanimate objects. We have a violence problem. One that wont be cured by getting rid of an inanimate object.

We do not have a gun problem. Guns are inanimate objects. We have a violence problem. One that wont be cured by getting rid of an inanimate object.

Amen to that little truth so many have difficulty with.

Amen to that little truth so many have difficulty with.

And even with all the violence you see and read it is extremely rare considering our population. It has long been shown that the vast majority of it is committed by a very small portion of the population.

And even with all the violence you see and read it is extremely rare considering our population. It has long been shown that the vast majority of it is committed by a very small portion of the population.

70% of America's homicides take place in just three percent of America's counties.

Back
Top Bottom