• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The reason for the mockery of Christians in the political atmosphere.

I'm talking about when he debates theists that are actual theologians, or philosophers, not your average priest or whatever.

By all means, provide a video, transcript or respectable link that shows Dawkins completely flabbergasted by the evidence set forth by a theologian. I'll wait.

By all means, provide a video, transcript or respectable link that shows Dawkins completely flabbergasted by the evidence set forth by a theologian. I'll wait.

Oh, I didn't say flabbergasted, he changes his tone and gets a whole lot more humble, his last debate in the unbelievable radio show on old testament morality, his debates with John Lennox for example.

Not at all. Both are to be judged, but somehow I've missed the "Usury Pride" parades.

That's called "Banks normal mode of operation". Should it be legislated against?

I go after everyone without exception. The thing is, most people who post to various forums are in countries overrun by Christians, therefore that's what they talk about. If people could get away with posting negative things about Islam from Islamic countries, the majority of them would post negatively about Islam. It depends on where you come from and your experiences, not that there's some weird conspiracy to go after Christians.

All religions deserve criticism.

I don't see much mercury of Hinduism Buddhism Jainism Wicca druidism, Helenism, or any other religion. It's generally directed at Christianity. I also don't see any of those other religions becoming political parties either. Islamic politicians could be running for presidency because Allah wanted them too.

How many of those groups are widely encountered in the United States? None. People go after what they have experience with. I think Hinduism and Buddhism and Jainism and Wicca and Druidism and Helenism and Islam and Christianity and Judaism are all equally as stupid. I just don't have the Hindus banging on my door on Sunday morning.

Muslims, even Islamists, have virtually no impact on our daily lives in the USA because they don't have the number of people or power to do so.

Some Christians do have a negative impact on our daily lives in the USA as we are constantly forced into defending ourselves against their constant attempts to impose their religion and cultural values on the rest of us with their attempts to impose censorship, ban abortion, discriminate against people for their private activities, restrict access to contraceptives, eliminate or distort the teaching of certain facts in schools, and impose their religion on the unwilling with government imposed prayers and religious symbols etc.

All I am saying is people need to quit crying foul when religion is ridiculed.

Religion wouldn't be ridiculed if it wasn't so ridiculous.

Liberals worship science, materialism and big government...least my faith has an end-goal past this current existence.

You do understand just how stupid that sounds, right?

I saw a post by a member that was complaining about how there is a double standard when it comes to mocking Christians. I notice this too. It's okay to take pot shots at Christianity and people don't think anything of it. Some even do so at religion in general but never specifically Judaism or Islam.

So I got to thinking why that is. I thought about what is different between Islamic people and Christians in the Unitedstates. I have heard the theory that out somebody mocks Islam it sends the Islamic world into rage fits. I simply don't buy that, plus it gives Christians the incentive to me militant.

It dawned on me. Christians in the right wing have turned their religion into a political party. They defend teaching creation in schools because of their religion, politicians onboth sides reference God over and over while delivering speeches. Faith isn't supposed to be a rule it's supposed to be a personal endeavor.

Thoughts?

So, in other words, athetists and other secular types can advocate policies that come from their ideas of what is good and moral but Christians can't.

Have you ever once in your life seen Dawkins speak? He is not the type who shuts up or yields intellectual superiority when debating with theists. What usually happens is the theist in the debate will simply end it by saying "It's my faith and that's the way it is". That's not really a victory for the theist.

Of course it's a victory. On his (the theist's) terms. He rejects Dawkin's terms, which are no more inherently rational than a religion.

Of course it's a victory. On his (the theist's) terms. He rejects Dawkin's terms, which are no more inherently rational than a religion.

Of course, when you make the debate about feelings and emotion and not reason, logic, facts, or evidence, you can't be argued with or debated. That's how a christian ends a "debate". "Well this is just my faith. "

If that's your view of a debate winner, I truly wonder what you're doing here.

Of course, when you make the debate about feelings and emotion and not reason, logic, facts, or evidence, you can't be argued with or debated. That's how a christian ends a "debate". "Well this is just my faith. "

Nonsense.

The following thread is crammed with evidences for God, the Bible, and Jesus Christ that the God/Christ-deniers have no real answers for.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/philosophical-discussions/181918-evidence-bible-god-w536-634-a.html

How many of those groups are widely encountered in the United States? None. People go after what they have experience with. I think Hinduism and Buddhism and Jainism and Wicca and Druidism and Helenism and Islam and Christianity and Judaism are all equally as stupid. I just don't have the Hindus banging on my door on Sunday morning.
I have never had any religion bang on my door on Sunday morning. Just Comcast.

Religion wouldn't be ridiculed if it wasn't so ridiculous.
Aside from your standard mouth piece atheist "evangelist" I would think most atheists wouldn't really care if others practiced religion. Aside from it's permeation into politics why would am atheist care?

I saw a post by a member that was complaining about how there is a double standard when it comes to mocking Christians. I notice this too. It's okay to take pot shots at Christianity and people don't think anything of it. Some even do so at religion in general but never specifically Judaism or Islam.

So I got to thinking why that is. I thought about what is different between Islamic people and Christians in the Unitedstates. I have heard the theory that out somebody mocks Islam it sends the Islamic world into rage fits. I simply don't buy that, plus it gives Christians the incentive to me militant.

It dawned on me. Christians in the right wing have turned their religion into a political party. They defend teaching creation in schools because of their religion, politicians onboth sides reference God over and over while delivering speeches. Faith isn't supposed to be a rule it's supposed to be a personal endeavor.

Thoughts?

Personally, I think the reason why the right wing turned so religious has to do with the passage of the Civil Rights Act and Nixon's "Southern Strategy" that followed. Before then, there were conservatives and liberals in both parties, but as the GOP shifted to attract the South's "negrophobes" (as Nixon's campaign strategist called them) in order to change the Democratic "Solid South" to today's Republican base, along with those Southern states came the most religious populations in the nation...and anyone who was not religious enough or was of the wrong type of religion - or, sadly, the wrong color - had a rougher time of it. The still-very-religious Deep South is now the base of the GOP, and because of that, the GOP largely reflects the values and beliefs of that Deep South.

And that's how we got the Religious Right, whose beliefs are very, very different from what Jesus Himself taught by word and deed.

Thoughts?

It depends, ever heard of a form of government called "Theocracy"?

Aside from your standard mouth piece atheist "evangelist" I would think most atheists wouldn't really care if others practiced religion. Aside from it's permeation into politics why would am atheist care?

I don't care what religion some one believes in or expresses so long as they leave me out of it. I don't want to be subjected to the rules of imaginary gods.

Our morals all come from the same place.

No they don't, our morals all come from our own minds.

Our ETHICS come from the same place, the law of the United States (or in addition to that, if you're part of a religion they set a code for you to determine what is ethical and what is not).

Basically, morals = your thought on something /// Ethics = Society's thoughts on something

I don't care what religion some one believes in or expresses so long as they leave me out of it. I don't want to be subjected to the rules of imaginary gods.

As for me, when I was atheist I really didn't care. Who cares if people subject you to their imaginary gods? Not like that means anything, there really is no reason to hissy-fit over something like for example the pope when he said "even atheists go to heaven".

You can just clap and say "yay if he's real I go to heaven"

Or just say "Uh huh whatever Heaven doesn't exist buddy"

Throwing a hissy-fit inevitably will become a waste of your own effort and time.

As for me, when I was atheist I really didn't care. Who cares if people subject you to their imaginary gods? Not like that means anything, there really is no reason to hissy-fit over something like for example the pope when he said "even atheists go to heaven".

You can just clap and say "yay if he's real I go to heaven"

Or just say "Uh huh whatever Heaven doesn't exist buddy"

Throwing a hissy-fit inevitably will become a waste of your own effort and time.

I'm talking about when religious ideals and laws of gods are pushed through legislation. A person can believe and say as they want, but when they try to use the guns of government to force it, it becomes a different story.

So thanks for that pointless aside that didn't actually address anything. Any other unrelated tangents you want to get off your chest?

I'm talking about when religious ideals and laws of gods are pushed through legislation. A person can believe and say as they want, but when they try to use the guns of government to force it, it becomes a different story.

So thanks for that pointless aside that didn't actually address anything. Any other unrelated tangents you want to get off your chest?

Other than sorry for the misunderstanding nope :D

Although actually, looking back, you should have SPECIFIED, since the quote you posted was in response to someone who actually said "aside form its permeation into politics", so, I thought something else.

Back
Top Bottom