• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The reason for the mockery of Christians in the political atmosphere.

CLAX1911

Supreme knower of all
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
I saw a post by a member that was complaining about how there is a double standard when it comes to mocking Christians. I notice this too. It's okay to take pot shots at Christianity and people don't think anything of it. Some even do so at religion in general but never specifically Judaism or Islam.

So I got to thinking why that is. I thought about what is different between Islamic people and Christians in the Unitedstates. I have heard the theory that out somebody mocks Islam it sends the Islamic world into rage fits. I simply don't buy that, plus it gives Christians the incentive to me militant.

It dawned on me. Christians in the right wing have turned their religion into a political party. They defend teaching creation in schools because of their religion, politicians onboth sides reference God over and over while delivering speeches. Faith isn't supposed to be a rule it's supposed to be a personal endeavor.

Thoughts?

I saw a post by a member that was complaining about how there is a double standard when it comes to mocking Christians. I notice this too. It's okay to take pot shots at Christianity and people don't think anything of it. Some even do so at religion in general but never specifically Judaism or Islam.

So I got to thinking why that is. I thought about what is different between Islamic people and Christians in the Unitedstates. I have heard the theory that out somebody mocks Islam it sends the Islamic world into rage fits. I simply don't buy that, plus it gives Christians the incentive to me militant.

It dawned on me. Christians in the right wing have turned their religion into a political party. They defend teaching creation in schools because of their religion, politicians onboth sides reference God over and over while delivering speeches. Faith isn't supposed to be a rule it's supposed to be a personal endeavor.

Thoughts?

I think that's changing.

I think it's ok to take pot shots at Christians, problem is when the People taking pot shots have to actually sit Down and discuss With christians that know what they're talking about, they fall flat.

That's why for example Richard Dawkins shuts the hell up when it ends up in a debate With a christian that knows his stuff.

The difference is in the US Islam is a minority and generally powerless, Christianity on the other hand is the majority and most of American polititians are christians.

Neither Jews (despite conspiracy theories) nor Muslims (despite presidential conspiracy theories) have or will have any power to exert their religious beliefs upon the majority. Christians, however, possessing a majority power, do exert their religious beliefs on others.

It's not so much that Jews and Muslims do not politicize their beliefs, it's they cannot, in law, even if they want to.

`
While I tend to be liberal on certain things, I have noticed a very disturbing trend for allowing the public mocking of religions except Islam. I'm not to sure if it is fear of a backlash from Islamics or mindless Political Correctness, but it has become way too unbalanced.

In another thread, there was an article about comedians mocking the Jewish faith and the reaction to that. My thought is that what applies to one, applies to all. If you allow the ridiculing and insulting of one religious faith, it must apply to all.

While my own sense of humor is heavy on the sardonic side when it comes to all faiths, the stench of hypocrisy is overpowering.

I think that's changing.

I think it's ok to take pot shots at Christians, problem is when the People taking pot shots have to actually sit Down and discuss With christians that know what they're talking about, they fall flat.

That's why for example Richard Dawkins shuts the hell up when it ends up in a debate With a christian that knows his stuff.

The difference is in the US Islam is a minority and generally powerless, Christianity on the other hand is the majority and most of American polititians are christians.
it's the perversion of a religion into a political party.

That should be seen as blasphemy but like lemmings many Christians tolerate their religion being perverted into political party.

`
While I tend to be liberal on certain things, I have noticed a very disturbing trend for allowing the public mocking of religions except Islam. I'm not to sure if it is fear of a backlash from Islamics or mindless Political Correctness, but it has become way too unbalanced.

In another thread, there was an article about comedians mocking the Jewish faith and the reaction to that. My thought is that what applies to one, applies to all. If you allow the ridiculing and insulting of one religious faith, it must apply to all.

While my own sense of humor is heavy on the sardonic side when it comes to all faiths, the stench of hypocrisy is overpowering.

I don't see much mercury of Hinduism Buddhism Jainism Wicca druidism, Helenism, or any other religion. It's generally directed at Christianity. I also don't see any of those other religions becoming political parties either. Islamic politicians could be running for presidency because Allah wanted them too.

it's the perversion of a religion into a political party.

That should be seen as blasphemy but like lemmings many Christians tolerate their religion being perverted into political party.

I totally agree, and it's sad, the entanglement the evangelical conservatives With the republicans that happened in the 1980s, as you said, turned a faith into a political party and made many christians have to deny fundemental aspects of christianity, becuase the political party became more important.

Thankfully that's falling apart now.

I totally agree, and it's sad, the entanglement the evangelical conservatives With the republicans that happened in the 1980s, as you said, turned a faith into a political party and made many christians have to deny fundemental aspects of christianity, becuase the political party became more important.

Thankfully that's falling apart now.
hopefully it does change, we don't need religions to be any more polarizing than they naturally are.

I think the fundies hijacked the conservative party. Because they aren't really conservative. Well by the Barry Goldwater standard. But then again I am a Goldwater conservative. I think they jumped on that bandwagon when the communist crap was going on.

My perception of the critique of "Christianity" and "Christians" is when a person that claims to be either starts condeming other's and their actions.

My own personal objection is when on claims their view of "Christianity" is the correct and only interpretation; and how that intrepretation is the jusification for their condemnation.

Believe as you wish. Follow and practice whatever beliefs you wish...and leave others to their beliefs.

Orphaned thought: Criminal acts perpetratied in the name of any religion should be denounced, but to associate the acts of crininals with a religion en masse should also be challenged.

Last edited:

I'm over here in the UK. I mock Islam and the rest all the time. I have been banned from 2 Islamic forums. I'm proud of that. I think Judaism has become more of a sort of tribal identity rather than serving the same sort of thing as the other religions. ish....

Thoughts?

All religions are political organizations. Power is their purpose. Altering people perspectives and views is their daily task. That's politics. That the liberal, personal freedom loving, individual coercion avoiding side of politics sees religion in a negative light is hardly surprising. That the side of politics which has more fixed ideas of exactly how people should live is closer affiliated to religion is again not a surprise.

I frankly would like if evangelism wasn't so belligerent. if you ask me the best evangelism is in your works. Arguing with non believers about beliefs seems a waste of time. As the hymn states: "Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me". That sentence says a mouth full.

I try to be a good example of a man to my son. talk is cheap forget that talk is useless that boy watches me he emulates my behavior. if what I say is not consistent he disregards the words. being that Jesus Christ is not on this planet we are his body his action we need to clean up our act.

is the universal language is love everybody understands that regardless of their native tongue. we should Christians act in kindness. that nuh uh uh tone often exhibited by many political Christians is extremely off putting to those outside the faith.

Being a warm inviting person does so much more for others is then the grandstanding crap I see here. for somebody to want to learn it has to be appealing. nobody learns to play the guitar because they want to memorize scales and finger exercises. they want to play like Joe Satriani. that motivates them to follow through. its the same thing with religion. I have been dictated to many times what the Bible says and how I must interpret it and they're all different. I refuse to go to church with those particular people. it isn't about God at that point, it becomes about agreeing with people that have weak faith so they can feel like they have strong faith. It's selfish as hell. That is transparent and it makes people appear to be self centered bigots.

show kindness be friendly look for the virtue in a person versus the vice. is that is the part of a person that reflects the divine, the virtue not the absence of the Vice. It's not always easy to find that, but it exists in all of us. if you see virtues in people, they become people you love because of that virtue, in spite of this vices. When those period are in a **** storm of vice, and you can still see them for their virtue you have done God's work. You may even get to a moment of comfort in a raging storm.

Tellingthem that the bible says they are wrong is like kicking their hands free. It's of no use, it basically tells them, Christianity is useless because itis telling me something I already know and turning their backs when I need a hand.

The sadly common belief of many Christians is that the absence of vice is the same as virtue.

I'm over here in the UK. I mock Islam and the rest all the time. I have been banned from 2 Islamic forums. I'm proud of that. I think Judaism has become more of a sort of tribal identity rather than serving the same sort of thing as the other religions. ish....

All religions are political organizations. Power is their purpose. Altering people perspectives and views is their daily task. That's politics. That the liberal, personal freedom loving, individual coercion avoiding side of politics sees religion in a negative light is hardly surprising. That the side of politics which has more fixed ideas of exactly how people should live is closer affiliated to religion is again not a surprise.

What exactly is the purpose["same sort of thing"] of religion? ...and does mocking serve a purpose of any of those religions?

It's because Christians are a majority. They hold power and privileged, they cannot be harmed by mockery or satire. Minorities are completely at the mercy of majorities whim, and as such threats, even in jest, are treated far more seriously.

I rather agree with most of your observations.

What exactly is the purpose["same sort of thing"] of religion? ...and does mocking serve a purpose of any of those religions?

I think (I'm not in it so it's not that good a view point) that Judaism seems to be more of an identity. That it's a sort of extended family group more than a belief system. That it's far more a tradition than a theology.

Mocking does not at all serve the purpose of any religion (well, except the Pastafarians all hail to the great FSM!..) it's the worst form of attack that they can suffer from. It shows that their God is a joke to lots of people who have not been struck by lightening. The purpose of mocking stupid thinking is to reduce it's malign influence at all levels.

My perception of the critique of "Christianity" and "Christians" is when a person that claims to be either starts condeming other's and their actions.
Yes, some wear their Christianity as a license to be smug and indignant.

My own personal objection is when on claims their view of "Christianity" is the correct and only interpretation; and how that intrepretation is the jusification for their condemnation.
Perfectly stated. I think anybody that left the church feels that same sentiment.

I think (I'm not in it so it's not that good a view point) that Judaism seems to be more of an identity. That it's a sort of extended family group more than a belief system. That it's far more a tradition than a theology.

Mocking does not at all serve the purpose of any religion (well, except the Pastafarians all hail to the great FSM!..) it's the worst form of attack that they can suffer from. It shows that their God is a joke to lots of people who have not been struck by lightening. The purpose of mocking stupid thinking is to reduce it's malign influence at all levels.

Mocking serves no purpose. One's own words and ideas reveal idiotic thinking.

I don't see much mercury of Hinduism Buddhism Jainism Wicca druidism, Helenism, or any other religion. It's generally directed at Christianity. I also don't see any of those other religions becoming political parties either. Islamic politicians could be running for presidency because Allah wanted them too.
`
There are been violent clashes between between Hindu's and Buddhists in India and the far east for decades. Furthermore, the beliefs you mentioned are not within the US mainstream spiritualities, which also includes Native American beliefs. Such beliefs slip under the US news radar and are not really applicable in any analogy here.

The far religious right has unfortunately tried to force their own beliefs on US policies and laws. Because of that, all Christian sects have become fair game for ridicule. I will admit that in time, Islam would also force itself and it's beliefs into politics just as the Christians are doing. As I see it, Islam and far right Christianity has more in common, ideologically speaking, than different. (see chart below)

RE3Zkld.png

`
There are been violent clashes between between Hindu's and Buddhists in India and the far east for decades. Furthermore, the beliefs you mentioned are not within the US mainstream spiritualities, which also includes Native American beliefs. Such beliefs slip under the US news radar and are not really applicable in any analogy here.

The far religious right has unfortunately tried to force their own beliefs on US policies and laws. Because of that, all Christian sects have become fair game for ridicule. I will admit that in time, Islam would also force itself and it's beliefs into politics just as the Christians are doing. As I see it, Islam and far right Christianity has more in common, ideologically speaking, than different. (see chart below)

RE3Zkld.png
but that is only in recent years. I think it comes from McCarthyism. The "religious right" as it has been dubbed really became a thing in latter years.

but that is only in recent years. I think it comes from McCarthyism. The "religious right" as it has been dubbed really became a thing in latter years.

Actually, that is entirely incorrect. The religious throughout history have had MORE influence and more involvement in our politics than they do now. Forcing religion on people is not a new concept that began 60 years ago. It is possibly one of the oldest human acts.

Actually, that is entirely incorrect. The religious throughout history have had MORE influence and more involvement in our politics than they do now. Forcing religion on people is not a new concept that began 60 years ago. It is possibly one of the oldest human acts.
lol, nit talking about the dark ages.

It was one of the drivers in people leaving the Old Countries for the New.

Back
Top Bottom