• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Francis Key Scott Bridge..................and the GOP's continued journey into derangement.

Has any bridge of that type taken a direct hit from a 95K cargo ship stood after?

I'm not a structural engineer but that seems like a LOT to ask of a bridge.

Are you asking something that is even structurally possible?
It's perfectly structurally possible. A design closer to this (obviously it would be elevated for ships to pass under) doesn't have the entire thing connected. Notice the upper support structure is segmented at each support beam.
bridge.JPG

Or rethink bringing these monsters up rivers and into ports.

Perhaps we need to be building "floating" platform type of facilities to unload the mega container ships onto smaller container ships and then have THOSE be the ones that come upriver and into port. Let the big massive ones stay in bays or nearshore - run smaller vessels back and forth between port and transfer type stations.

They sit out there in lines anyway waiting for pilots to bring them to port 🤷‍♀️

(It looks like a parade in the DE Bay on any given day as they just sit in Que to be brought into port of Philadelphia)

Countries have spent billions of dollars working on the problem.

As bad as this incident is, we will learn a lot from it.

In my honest opinion............................ I think the bridge supports and and the islands protecting them need to be overbuilt regardless of the extra costs.

There is enough broken up concrete stacked up at recycling yards around this country to protect thousands of bridges.

It's perfectly structurally possible. A design closer to this (obviously it would be elevated for ships to pass under) doesn't have the entire thing connected. Notice the upper support structure is segmented at each support beam.
View attachment 67501353
Like I said, I'm not an engineer so I don't know why engineers choose one version of a bridge over another. I won't even pretend that I do understand, I'm not that good at the underlying math, etc.
Countries have spent billions of dollars working on the problem.

As bad as this incident is, we will learn a lot from it.

In my honest opinion............................ I think the bridge supports and and the islands protecting them need to be overbuilt regardless of the extra costs.

There is enough broken up concrete stacked up at recycling yards around this country to protect thousands of bridges.
Someone is ALWAYS going to bitch about costs. I'm seeing people TODAY complaining because Biden committed to Federal assistance in getting the Port of Baltimore open and the bridge rebuilt. I'm not personally opposed to it, but let's face it - money talks in the US and we don't do ANYTHING regardless of costs. (Except maybe military related)

Like I said, I'm not an engineer so I don't know why engineers choose one version of a bridge over another. I won't even pretend that I do understand, I'm not that good at the underlying math, etc.

Someone is ALWAYS going to bitch about costs. I'm seeing people TODAY complaining because Biden committed to Federal assistance in getting the Port of Baltimore open and the bridge rebuilt. I'm not personally opposed to it, but let's face it - money talks in the US and we don't do ANYTHING regardless of costs. (Except maybe military related)

Biden said the right words. Whether or not it was for political points doesn't matter to me.

Look at the science of bridge islands and supports.

It's totally embarrassing to the country when people go full trash politics like some of our representatives did. In this case, the GOP.

Look at the science of bridge islands and supports.
I will!

And talking to my husband who prior to switching into fishing as a career, was in construction as a member of the carpenters union and built bridges, skyscrapers, etc same as my FIL. (Up until a steel worker dropped a beam on him when he decided if he was going to die at work, it was going to be doing something he loved 😂🙄)

We were just looking at the FSK bridge and he can see exactly why it came down the way it did.

One of his friends is running the job to put the bumpers at the Delaware Memorial Bridge in fact that he knows from back in his union days.

This has been a hot topic in our house since it happened

Last edited:
Trump has shown many people that they can become successful by ignoring logic, ignoring rational thought, and lying consistently to promote an agenda. Many who make their money off the public (elected reps and the media) have worked out that there are a lot of magas who truly buy into the general maga conspiracy theory world. The number of conspiracy theories we see nearly every day in the maga world now is insane, yet it makes money and grabs votes for those that promote them. It wasn't long ago we had the maga world believing in an election conspiracy theory that came from a self proclaimed decapitated time traveller, and Fox making $millions from promoting it. If the magas can believe that, there is no bottom to the well!
Hasn't he also shown many people that they can well and truly **** themselves by doing those things? Fox News lawsuit, Tucker fired, Eastman ridiculed and maybe getting disbarred, lots of folks indicted as co-conspirators in the Georgia trial, Mike Lindell tanking his personal fortune, Alex Jones getting sued by Sandy Hook parents, Giuliani getting sued and going broke - the list is long and growing.

The only way this thread would've been worth it is if MTG suggested the bridge was actually taken down by Jooish Space Lazers

It is not republicans, who mostly are reasonable, good people, nor "Trumpers", who likewise are mostly good people, it is the loud voices, the talking heads, the people seeking headlines or blustering from behind their computers. We seriously need to stop judging groups by their loudest, most attention seeking members.
74 million 2020 election voters, magically "off the hook," despite voting for a candidate who was literally killing them.

You gotta rub their "GD" noses in it! Every effing one of them who voted for Trump in 2016 had the same effect on the outcome as the "loudest, most attention seeking members."

"Good people," at home in their Archie Bunker, big boy pants. It's gonna keep happening if their culpability is excused.
The results of their racism is ignored or completely discounted. These are lifetime tenured nominations,
No record in any forum thread of RWE poster exhibiting the slightest concern or objection, in reaction, only racism in denial.

SR_23.12.01_BidenJudges_2.png

"..But without him,
How would Hitler have condemned them at Liebau?
Without him Caesar would have stood alone,
He's the one who gives his body
As a weapon of the war,
And without him all this killing can't go on.

He's the Universal Soldier and he really is to blame,
His orders come from far away no more,
They come from here and there and you and me,

And brothers can't you see,
This is not the way we put the end to war?" - Donovan Leitch

Last edited:
Sadly, bubble wrap can’t save us from the folly of relying on rotted out infrastructure from the last millennium. But at least people would hear a fun noise before they die.
"Rotted out infrastructure"? A 46 year old, 95,000 ton vessel loaded with 48,000 steel boxes, traveling at 9 mph suddenly loses power and steering controls and veers into one of two main bridge support foundations, stopping it abruptly. The abruptly ended velocity of such a heavy object had to go somewhere, literally shaking the support and the bridge mounted on it. So far, neither design. construction, or condition of the bridge is a known issue, versus the malfunctioning vessel definitely an issue.

Almost no Republican House votes in favor and the senate votes came with a Republican block against increasuing IRS funding, leaving it frozen at 2013 level and agreeing with Republican demands that all funding be borrowed vs increasing revenue through tax and IRS enforcement increases.

The amended bill was passed 69–30 by the Senate on August 10, 2021. On November 5, it was passed 228–206 by the House, and ten days later was signed into law by President Biden

Was the design of the twin towers or their 9/11/2001 condition faulted?

Jet fuel alone, @ 6.75 lbs. weight per gallon, was 135,000 lbs. traveling @ 400 mph at impact

Last edited:
Hasn't he also shown many people that they can well and truly **** themselves by doing those things? Fox News lawsuit, Tucker fired, Eastman ridiculed and maybe getting disbarred, lots of folks indicted as co-conspirators in the Georgia trial, Mike Lindell tanking his personal fortune, Alex Jones getting sued by Sandy Hook parents, Giuliani getting sued and going broke - the list is long and growing.
To the maga faithful those other criminals you mention are patriots getting mercilessly beaten up by Dem lawfare. They know that is true because that is what Trump told them.

Jesus. Marjorie Taylor Green is a bigger bag of crazy than I thought, and I thought she was plenty crazy to begin with.

Ehh..it was rated in fair overall condition with concerns expressed about the condition of one of the pylons in the last inspection. The construction crew was there to fill potholes because, you know, priorities.
Okay, so say we fixed the pylon.

And then a fully loaded cargo container ship smacked into it.

What then?

I will!

And talking to my husband who prior to switching into fishing as a career, was in construction as a member of the carpenters union and built bridges, skyscrapers, etc same as my FIL. (Up until a steel worker dropped a beam on him when he decided if he was going to die at work, it was going to be doing something he loved 😂🙄)

We were just looking at the FSK bridge and he can see exactly why it came down the way it did.

One of his friends is running the job to put the bumpers at the Delaware Memorial Bridge in fact that he knows from back in his union days.

This has been a hot topic in our house since it happened
March 27, 2024

gettyimages-2107844158.jpg

Back
Top Bottom