• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Francis Key Scott Bridge..................and the GOP's continued journey into derangement.

I never look at Fox News. it's like that old dirty gum that's been stuck to the ground for months in the corner of the basketball court in junior high that no one wanted to touch.

But just for fun, I took a deep breath and looked right now. Fascinating. Guess what the headline article is? Israel/Gaza conflict? Ukraine? Baltimore? Haiti? Sudan?

Nope. This, LOL:

Severe weather cripples solar farm, sparking residents' fears about vulnerable 'green' tech

The obliteration of a 3,300 acre solar farm and, consequently, an environmental catastrophe in waiting is newsworthy. I’m not so sure about CNN’s front page article concerning Eva Mendes deciding to raise her own kids.

Last edited:
I never look at Fox News. it's like that old dirty gum that's been stuck to the ground for months in the corner of the basketball court in junior high that no one wanted to touch.

But just for fun, I took a deep breath and looked right now. Fascinating. Guess what the headline article is? Israel/Gaza conflict? Ukraine? Baltimore? Haiti? Sudan?

Nope. This, LOL:

Severe weather cripples solar farm, sparking residents' fears about vulnerable 'green' tech

If you ever want to see what people are going to post here before they post it just go there. It's comical.

What was the fix for the deficient pylon?

link?
And seriously - the bridge took a direct hit from a 95K ton cargo ship.

I can’t think of anything that’s going to withstand that.

The point of bumpers and dolphins is so ships hit THEM and NOT a bridge. So THEY take the damage and energy, not a bridge.

The finger pointing floating around this incident is amazing. Unless an investigation shows otherwise, this just looks like a mechanical failure at EXACTLY the wrong time in EXACTLY the wrong place.

Utah Rep. Phil Lyman (R) ................. blamed Tuesday's Baltimore bridge collapse on “governors who prioritize diversity over the wellbeing and security of citizens.

South Carolina Nancy Mace (R).................why are there still old bridges and highways after the infrastructure bill. Money not being spent on roads and bridges.

Internet talking head Paul A. Szpula ............... Synergy Marine Group promotes DEI in their company. Did anti-white business practices cause this disaster?

Georgia Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene (R)..................... There should be a serious investigation into the horrifying tragedy of the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Maryland. Is this an intentional attack or an accident?

Maria Bartiromo Fox News................................. Trying to link the bridge collapse on open borders during a on air interview with Senator Rick Scott Florida (R)

All this before any conclusive investigation.

Jeeeees..............I'll never be a Democrat again, but I'm so ****ing glad that I left the Republican party when Bush started dropping bombs.

The GOP gets more crazy every single day.

Any thoughts?

Utah Rep. Phil Lyman (R) ................. blamed Tuesday's Baltimore bridge collapse on “governors who prioritize diversity over the wellbeing and security of citizens.

South Carolina Nancy Mace (R).................why are there still old bridges and highways after the infrastructure bill. Money not being spent on roads and bridges.

Internet talking head Paul A. Szpula ............... Synergy Marine Group promotes DEI in their company. Did anti-white business practices cause this disaster?

Georgia Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene (R)..................... There should be a serious investigation into the horrifying tragedy of the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Maryland. Is this an intentional attack or an accident?

Maria Bartiromo Fox News................................. Trying to link the bridge collapse on open borders during a on air interview with Senator Rick Scott Florida (R)

All this before any conclusive investigation.

Jeeeees..............I'll never be a Democrat again, but I'm so ****ing glad that I left the Republican party when Bush started dropping bombs.

The GOP gets more crazy every single day.

Any thoughts?

Nothing wrong with this statement. We've "invested" bill after spending bill into infrastructure but our infrastructure still sucks.

No one has obtained the maintenance records so, as far as we know, nothing.
From your link:
But, he said, the massive ship — not the condition of the Key Bridge — is likely to blame for its collapse.

The ship involved in this accident is a menace. In 2016, it crashed into the Port of Antwerp and heavily damaged a pier there. It was cited in an inspection report for deficiencies in propulsion and the auxiliary machinery in June last year. Combine that with a 40+ year old bridge spanning a busy shipping lane that has no buffers on its pylons and it’s a disaster waiting to happen.

Some of the greatest ships in history have had their bad incidents. Were they a menace?

The crew that hit the pier in Antwerp on the Dani....................................... is not the same crew manning her when it hit the bridge.

You and I do not know at this time what the cause of the collision was , but you are going full blame before anything is conclusive.

And seriously - the bridge took a direct hit from a 95K ton cargo ship.

I can’t think of anything that’s going to withstand that.

The point of bumpers and dolphins is so ships hit THEM and NOT a bridge. So THEY take the damage and energy, not a bridge.

The finger pointing floating around this incident is amazing. Unless an investigation shows otherwise, this just looks like a mechanical failure at EXACTLY the wrong time in EXACTLY the wrong place.
To me a bridge shouldn't have the entire thing collapse because one section did. But, yes, nothing is really going to stop at least a collapse when I giant ship runs into it.

Nothing wrong with this statement. We've "invested" bill after spending bill into infrastructure but our infrastructure still sucks.
Because it’s a big country with lots of infrastructure that needs to be updated?

And that’s expensive?

The obliteration of a 3,300 acre solar farm and, consequently, an environmental catastrophe in waiting is newsworthy.

As a headline article? Seriously? OK.

Since when did Fox develop such a keen interest protecting the environment? And why wasn't this ever headline news on Fox?

I’m not so sure about CNN’s article concerning Eva Mendes deciding to raise her own kids.

Not a headline article.

Last edited:
To me a bridge shouldn't have the entire thing collapse because one section did. But, yes, nothing is really going to stop at least a collapse when I giant ship runs into it.
To be fair - large sections of the Francis Scott Bridge are still standing. Technically, it is a partial collapse.

Just so happens that the ship hit the part actually spanning the deepest parts of water 🤷‍♀️

Crazy right?

From your link:
But, he said, the massive ship — not the condition of the Key Bridge — is likely to blame for its collapse.
Yeah...that's basically going to be said no matter what, imo, because statements made can be used for liability. So any reasonable initial response will be to deny, deny, deny until information comes out that can't be denied. I'm not saying that it will eventually be found out that the bridge was in poor repair, though, just talking about the smartest legal way to initially respond.

To be fair - large sections of the Francis Scott Bridge are still standing.

Just so happens that the ship hit the part actually spanning the water 🤷‍♀️

Crazy right?
The parts that are standing are the concrete parts. The metal parts all collapsed it the collapse spanned to parts that were on the other side of supports of the section that was hit.

Let's not try to pretend the GOP has a stranglehold on crazy. These examples are a pittance to the real crazy coming out of the left these days.

Because it’s a big country with lots of infrastructure that needs to be updated?

And that’s expensive?
When you let things all break down over decades, yes, trying to fix it all at once is much more difficult.

Yeah...that's basically going to be said no matter what, imo, because statements made can be used for liability. So any reasonable initial response will be to deny, deny, deny until information comes out that can't be denied. I'm not saying that it will eventually be found out that the bridge was in poor repair, though, just talking about the smartest legal way to initially respond.
You are saying that the bridge just fell down? It was time, right?

Let's not try to pretend the GOP has a stranglehold on crazy. These examples are a pittance to the real crazy coming out of the left these days.
Are you in the correct thread?

The parts that are standing are the concrete parts. The metal parts all collapsed it the collapse spanned to parts that were on the other side of supports of the section that was hit.
The amount of kinetic energy that went through that bridge had to be astronomical. Someone much smarter than I am can do the math.

Frankly, I'm amazed ANY of it is standing.

The Key bridge was built in the 1970's which by itself doesn't make it outdated due to age.

What has changed with worldwide shipping is the size of container ships.

The use of containers and container ships slowly became to most efficient way to move goods over the oceans in the early 70's.

Container ships have continued to increased in size since then, and have almost doubled in size since 2000.

1711576952422.png

I think it's time to rethink bridge islands that support the spans without all the political warfare.

The amount of kinetic energy that went through that bridge had to be astronomical. Someone much smarter than I am can do the math.

Frankly, I'm amazed ANY of it is standing.
Not really, imo. The parts that collapse should only be the parts supported by the actual support that was struck. It should be designed to have each segment supported independently on each support beam the the bridge was all connected. In other words, it should be designed to break apart independently on the red lines I drew, not all be connected together.

bridge.png

Not really, imo. The parts that collapse should only be the parts supported by the actual support that was struck. It should be designed to have each segment supported independently on each support beam the the bridge was all connected. In other words, it should be designed to break apart independently on the red lines I drew, not all be connected together.

View attachment 67501347
Has any bridge of that type taken a direct hit from a 95K cargo ship stood after?

I'm not a structural engineer but that seems like a LOT to ask of a bridge.

Are you asking something that is even structurally possible?

The Key bridge was built in the 1970's which by itself doesn't make it outdated due to age.

What has changed with worldwide shipping is the size of container ships.

The use of containers and container ships slowly became to most efficient way to move goods over the oceans in the early 70's.

Container ships have continued to increased in size since then, and have almost doubled in size since 2000.

View attachment 67501346

I think it's time to rethink bridge islands that support the spans without all the political warfare.
Or rethink bringing these monsters up rivers and into ports.

Perhaps we need to be building "floating" platform type of facilities to unload the mega container ships onto smaller container ships and then have THOSE be the ones that come upriver and into port. Let the big massive ones stay in bays or nearshore - run smaller vessels back and forth between port and transfer type stations.

They sit out there in lines anyway waiting for pilots to bring them to port 🤷‍♀️

(It looks like a parade in the DE Bay on any given day as they just sit in Que to be brought into port of Philadelphia)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom