• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The End of the Big Mac?

Should McDonald's Phase out the Big Mac?

• Total voters
If you like to lunch on two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun, you’d better act fast: McDonald’s has announced plans to phase out the Big Mac. Okay, not really. But social media ate up the news of its axing, published by the satirical site Daily Buzz Live at the end of last year. As with the best fake news, it was grounded in truth. McDonald’s had announced that it had been testing menu cuts after finding that sales in November were down 4.6 percent compared to the previous year. And more revealing than the Big Mac’s hypothetical retirement after almost 50 years on the iconic fast food chain’s menu was people's willingness—our eagerness, even—to believe that its demise might be possible.

With the rise of “fast casual” chains like Chipotle and Shake Shack, fast food is on the rocks, at least among the middle classes who can afford a $10 lunch instead of a $5 one. Chipotle enjoyed a 16.8 percent increase in sales at stores open more than a year in 2014, and shares of Shake Shack—a self-styled “anti-McDonald’s”—doubled on the day of its January IPO, despite the fact that Danny Meyer's burger business only operates at 63 locations.

Even if this market shift hasn’t yet sent the Big Mac out to pasture, change is definitely coming. Among the menu items McDonald’s really is considering cutting is the Quarter Pounder with Cheese, a sandwich perhaps no less iconic than the Big Mac. Franchise consultant Richard Adams told USA Today that items sometimes remain on the menu long after having ceased to sell well for what he called “politically correct reasons.” It’s a mixed metaphor, since the progressivism of PC would seem to imply a desire to cut high-calorie, high-fat, high-carbon-footprint items in favor of more physically and globally sustainable ones, as some of McDonald’s successful “fast casual” competitors have done.....snip~

The End of the Big Mac

There goes the Quarter Pounder with Cheese....should McDonald's phase out the Big Mac?
They don't need to end the Big Mac, they need to inject some life into it. First, less sauce. They shoot two loads of that crap on there and if it sits for more than a minute or two, the bun gets too soggy to support the sandwich. Second, they should start using real onions. They have been using that freeze-dried crap forever and its time to change. Finally, make the patties a little bigger and cook them fresh. I am more interested in getting a good burger than one that is up before I get my change.

They don't need to end the Big Mac, they need to inject some life into it. First, less sauce. They shoot two loads of that crap on there and if it sits for more than a minute or two, the bun gets too soggy to support the sandwich. Second, they should start using real onions. They have been using that freeze-dried crap forever and its time to change. Finally, make the patties a little bigger and cook them fresh. I am more interested in getting a good burger than one that is up before I get my change.

Mornin Fletch. :2wave: How much do they cost by you?

Mornin Fletch. :2wave: How much do they cost by you?

Too damn much that's for sure. I think its around $4.50. Id rather have a whopper or a Wendys half pound double cheese which are the same price and twice as good.

Too damn much that's for sure. I think its around $4.50. Id rather have a whopper or a Wendys half pound double cheese which are the same price and twice as good.

That must be with a Meal.....Right? Not just the sandwich. The meal here would be more with the Fries and Drink.

I usually will get'em when they have the 2 for 5 dollar sale. That or the QP with Cheese. But then that's all I get.....as I will usually have something to drink already. More than likely coffee.

I think Burger King is cheaper with the Whopper. But not by much.

That must be with a Meal.....Right? Not just the sandwich. The meal here would be more with the Fries and Drink.

I usually will get'em when they have the 2 for 5 dollar sale. That or the QP with Cheese. But then that's all I get.....as I will usually have something to drink already. More than likely coffee.

I think Burger King is cheaper with the Whopper. But not by much.
No, its just the sandwich. I get just the Big Mac every once in a while and a large coffee and the total is six something. The coffee is two bucks.

Mornin Helix. :2wave: So how much is a Big Mac down by you?

i'm not sure. next time i go to McDonalds, i'll check.

No, its just the sandwich. I get just the Big Mac every once in a while and a large coffee and the total is six something. The coffee is two bucks.

wow.gif
4 bucks and in Ohio.....I thought that would be like the price in NY or L.A.....Sheesh!

I try to stay away from McDonald's whenever possible. The only fast food places I'll tolerate now are Chipotle and Chic Fil A.

Chipotle is pretty good, but McDonald's the only fast food establishment I frequent. I rarely go to Burger King if ever. Whenever I do go there, it seems the food is saltier than average.

the big mac and quarter pounder won't be dropped from the menu. they are too iconic.

agreed. This is all just hype that only helps McD's in the long run. There may be a point where they have over expanded and over saturated the market with far too many locations. And when that happens - the market will take care of that as locations close and others int eh area then pick up new business.

But McD's is not going anywhere and their main items are not either.

agreed. This is all just hype that only helps McD's in the long run. There may be a point where they have over expanded and over saturated the market with far too many locations. And when that happens - the market will take care of that as locations close and others int eh area then pick up new business.

they are losing market share along with a couple other standards : Red Lobster and Olive Garden. i prefer independents, but i won't lie : i like all of the above for various sentimental reasons. there are at least two burger places in my town that i think are better than McDonalds, but screw it. if i want a big mac, i will get one.

i miss their angus third pounders. those were awesome, but way too many calories. and i was apparently the only person in the world who bought more than one arch deluxe, lol.

they are losing market share along with a couple other standards : Red Lobster and Olive Garden. i prefer independents, but i won't lie : i like all of the above for various sentimental reasons. there are at least two burger places in my town that i think are better than McDonalds, but screw it. if i want a big mac, i will get one.

i miss their angus third pounders. those were awesome, but way too many calories. and i was apparently the only person in the world who bought more than one arch deluxe, lol.

Its good that you like those places. They will all find the right size and right number of locations and survive and maybe even thrive.

Over the last ten to fifteen years my wife and I have become foodies so we laugh at THE BIG BANG THEORY when Howard's mother is used as the symbol of bad taste talking about getting coupons to eat at the Olive Garden. But whatever floats your boat.

I remember as a kid when I was 11 or 12 and they opened up a Burger Chef restaurant near my house. We used to ride out bikes up there and buy a burger, fries and a malt for 47 cents - tax included. They used to call it the Triple Treat and we thought we were in heaven. If we only had 42 cents we would sub a cola for the malt.

In 1966 I worked for a few months at a Burger King in the 12th grade and really loved their double Whaler sandwich which was not on the menu but I would make it for my lunch.

Last edited:
If you like to lunch on two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun, you’d better act fast: McDonald’s has announced plans to phase out the Big Mac. Okay, not really. But social media ate up the news of its axing, published by the satirical site Daily Buzz Live at the end of last year. As with the best fake news, it was grounded in truth. McDonald’s had announced that it had been testing menu cuts after finding that sales in November were down 4.6 percent compared to the previous year. And more revealing than the Big Mac’s hypothetical retirement after almost 50 years on the iconic fast food chain’s menu was people's willingness—our eagerness, even—to believe that its demise might be possible.

With the rise of “fast casual” chains like Chipotle and Shake Shack, fast food is on the rocks, at least among the middle classes who can afford a $10 lunch instead of a $5 one. Chipotle enjoyed a 16.8 percent increase in sales at stores open more than a year in 2014, and shares of Shake Shack—a self-styled “anti-McDonald’s”—doubled on the day of its January IPO, despite the fact that Danny Meyer's burger business only operates at 63 locations.

Even if this market shift hasn’t yet sent the Big Mac out to pasture, change is definitely coming. Among the menu items McDonald’s really is considering cutting is the Quarter Pounder with Cheese, a sandwich perhaps no less iconic than the Big Mac. Franchise consultant Richard Adams told USA Today that items sometimes remain on the menu long after having ceased to sell well for what he called “politically correct reasons.” It’s a mixed metaphor, since the progressivism of PC would seem to imply a desire to cut high-calorie, high-fat, high-carbon-footprint items in favor of more physically and globally sustainable ones, as some of McDonald’s successful “fast casual” competitors have done.....snip~

The End of the Big Mac

There goes the Quarter Pounder with Cheese....should McDonald's phase out the Big Mac?

I still remember this commercial and have the jingle burned into my brain because McDonalds (IDK if it was a local or national thingy) was giving away a free Big Mac if you could recite it... yeah I know I'm dating myself.

I still remember this commercial and have the jingle burned into my brain because McDonalds (IDK if it was a local or national thingy) was giving away a free Big Mac if you could recite it... yeah I know I'm dating myself.

Winchester. :2wave: Are you sayin.....U lovin it! :2razz:

Winchester. :2wave: Are you sayin.....U lovin it! :2razz:

Absolutely, lol. Brings back fond memories of my misspent youth. :lol:

Its good that you like those places. They will all find the right size and right number of locations and survive and maybe even thrive.

Over the last ten to fifteen years my wife and I have become foodies so we laugh at THE BIG BANG THEORY when Howard's mother is used as the symbol of bad taste talking about getting coupons to eat at the Olive Garden. But whatever floats your boat.

I remember as a kid when I was 11 or 12 and they opened up a Burger Chef restaurant near my house. We used to ride out bikes up there and buy a burger, fries and a malt for 47 cents - tax included. They used to call it the Triple Treat and we thought we were in heaven. If we only had 42 cents we would sub a cola for the malt.

In 1966 I worked for a few months at a Burger King in the 12th grade and really loved their double Whaler sandwich which was not on the menu but I would make it for my lunch.

used to love Burger Chef. i was sad when they changed to Hardees. i remember that one location down south persisted for another decade or so. Hardees is decent these days, but i have a sentimental thing for Burger Chef. getting a burger and a shake there was always a treat.

we have a couple independent burger joints here that have persisted, though, and they are completely awesome. two of them have been around since i was a kid, and are doing well today.

used to love Burger Chef. i was sad when they changed to Hardees. i remember that one location down south persisted for another decade or so. Hardees is decent these days, but i have a sentimental thing for Burger Chef. getting a burger and a shake there was always a treat.

we have a couple independent burger joints here that have persisted, though, and they are completely awesome. two of them have been around since i was a kid, and are doing well today.

At least your local Burger Chef turned into another burger joint. The one where I used to live is now a Thai restaurant - amazing how that happens.

I used to love it on Saturday when you could buy a bag of burgers and a bag of fries for some ungodly price like five bucks for lunch. Like you I do not know if that was local or a national promotion but we would start anticipating that on about Thursday. My mom, dad and two other brothers could feast on that.

At least your local Burger Chef turned into another burger joint. The one where I used to live is now a Thai restaurant - amazing how that happens.

I used to love it on Saturday when you could buy a bag of burgers and a bag of fries for some ungodly price like five bucks for lunch. Like you I do not know if that was local or a national promotion but we would start anticipating that on about Thursday. My mom, dad and two other brothers could feast on that.

the one i went to with my grandparents back in the late 70s is now a pancake house. i don't remember much about the promotions (i was barely ten when Hardees bought them out,) but i do remember the fixins bar.

What is the Price of a Big Mac by where you live. Around here in Chicago it is 2.99, plus tax.

found out tonight. big mac is $3.49 at this 20.

also, thanks for the dinner idea.

big mac dp.jpg

I dunno I've been around the country and I don't think mcdonalds is in much trouble. I see closed burger kings all the time. I am yet to see a former mcDs

Chipotle has taken off, but I don't eat there. When I crave that kind of food I go to el sombrero and sit down

I don't know why people still eat at McDonald's, let alone cling to food which was never worth supporting in the first place.

I don't know why people still eat at McDonald's, let alone cling to food which was never worth supporting in the first place.

Why not? Mcdonalds has good food and it's the exact same anywhere in the country.

Makes road tripping easy, I can pull into McDonald's in Vancouver British Columbia, Otay Mesa California, Seattle Washington, or Rawlins Wyoming and it's all the same

Back
Top Bottom