• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Starfield

I'm running it fine on Win10.

This holiday week, since I had a ton of time off, I fired up a new game and I'm kind of enjoying it. Finally figured out a few things I missed before...like that I have to research stuff before I can craft stuff.

There is a definite element of "grind" to the game and not much to keep dragging you back to the main story but it's really not a bad game. I do kind of wish that the planets had a little more diversity. It gets kind of boring hitting all kinds of different planets and finding essentially the same stuff. That kind of takes away from the adventure sort of feel I had with the Elder Scrolls games and the Fallout games.

[DISCLAIMER: Haven't played Starfield yet, got if for X-Mas and it's in the que for after I finish DOS2.]

When I hear complaints of Starfield, I often wonder...

... Does Starfield just need to be modestly successful at launch because Bethesda will be looking to the player mod community factoring into the long term legs.

With whole systems, planets, and moons available the possibilities for local content mods building whole stories around one system/location are endless.

It's the breadth of the mod'ing community that I always found interesting in the Fall/Skyrim games. I think Starfield has the base structure available that will be able to leverage that history of embracing mods.

WW

No! They want me to turn auto updates back on so they can put in more spyware. Not gonna happen.
You should try O&O shutup. It’s a program that you can you to automatically disable all kinds off bullshit Windows telemetry, ads, and spyware. If it wasn’t for a few programs I’d just switch entirely over to Linux to be honest but such is life. So I just run a privacy hardened modified windows 10. And windows 11 is even worse.

I don’t see myself being able to use Windows at all in the future the way they are heading privacy wise.

I fired up Starfield this morning, not to play, but just to see the state of the graphics patches in the 4 months since I last played. I figured this would be a good measure of exactly how badly Bethesda was lying to us about the state of the game on launch.

I figured that if my FPS saw a modest improvement in that time then I could chalk it up to normal bug patching.

In the main city at Ultra settings at launch my system was managing 30-40 FPS... part of that was due to Bethesda's absurd decision to make AMD optimization an "exclusive" and not support DLSS, the most prevalent graphics platform in the world. But that absurdity aside, I played around at the time with resolution. Running the game at low resolution would get you a rough estimate of the FPS you might get in DLSS and could get up to 50 FPS in Ultra at launch in low resolution.

When I ran the same test today with DLSS set to performance I hit 100 FPS.

Bethesda really screwed the pooch on Starfield.

I mean, I did have fun playing the game and it kept me interested for, according to steam, 112 hours... but I'm a rather forgiving gamer.

I always find it a good measure of how forgiving people are for a game at release to see how many people achieved the simplest badge in the game. In Starfield that badge is "into space" which means you played through the intro and boarded your ship.

11% of all Steam players failed to get that far.

Granted, there may be a flaw in that system since you have a game like PalWorld that is setting player engagement records and only 75% of all players have captured 1 Pal. So maybe I should rethink that metric. 😆

Back
Top Bottom