• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Starfield

I just fired it up for the first time this morning. Don't think I got even an hour into it. First impression is that it's going to take a little while for me to figure out all the systems. I did manage to figure out how to kill pirates so I guess I've got that going for me!

We probably should have a thread for this one. I will post more later, but just saw this and it looks great, might install it later: https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/773

I've played a bit of it last night before I slept, and I'm enjoying the experience! Gonna take me longer to adjust to everything, though.

Much more polished than the usual Bethesda release.

EDIT: Space travel is not too great. I don't know what it is, but it feels like it's stagnant in a way. There's better space mechanics in old games like GOF2. But it's not like it's bad or anything, but not on the level I had expected.

It's more about being on the ground than anything else.

Last edited:
Going to give it a try tonight. Sometimes Bethesda games grab me for years, sometimes they don't. But the modding has always helped.

My first piece of advice: do not loot everything. It feels wrong not to, but most of the loot you see laying around is junk not worth much, and is just a waste of time. Look for stuff that says it is used in crafting, or weapons and spacesuits(which sell for alot), plus healing items and ammo.

To get your companion to fire weapons, give them a weapon and a single round of ammo for that weapon. They do not use up ammo, so they only need one round. This also means that the best weapons to give them are ones with a high rate of fire.

Mission terminals are godly. There is one right in New Atlantis, not far from where you will be going anyway. Speaking of New Atlantis, the Tapping the Grid mission can be incredibly annoying. Remember to activate the scanner so it can show you the path to take to save a whole lot of frustration.

Perks to get early(bolded are must have early to my mind): Weightlifting(carry capacity), Commerce(sell for me, buy for less), Persuasion(better chance at persuasion checks), Ballistics(better damage with most weapons), Pistol Certification(better damage pistols), Medicine(more healing from med kits, oh so important), Boost Pack Training(cannot use boost packs till you get this, so should be an absolute highest priority), Piloting(allows you to use boost in your ship, which among other things can break missile lock), Security(allows you to pick higher level locks and makes it a bit easier, get right after Boost Pack Training), Targeting Control System(allows you to target ship parts, meaning you can disable and board enemy ships). There are a ton more useful perks, but these will get you started, edit: Add Stealth as it gives you a bar showing if you are hidden or seen.

Fast travel: open the mission list("L" on PC), hover mouse over mission you want to travel to, hit "R". Speeds up the game alot over doing it manually.

Cargo hold access in ships is right behind the pilot chair in every ship I have seen so far. Embarrassing how long it took me to figure that out. Look for the green lit panel.

If you are expecting a huge step forward for CRPGs, you are going to be disappointed. It is largely Fallout 4 in space, with great graphics and maybe the most ever to do in a Bethesda game, but nothing particularly new. It is well done but not innovative. I like it, alot, but many people won't because it is stuff we have seen before. If is Fallout 4 plus No Mans Sky plus a few others. It is not new, it is just good.

Played it a bit this morning. Mostly I decided to update one of my ships and finally add a much needed crafting and research compartment so that I could start modding gear on my ship. It took me a while to sort out the ideal location of the compartments since one of them would have the ladder up to the crew and pilot compartments running through it. I finally decided that since the research birth is pretty sparse it would make the ideal compartment for the ladder.

I then pulled out as much structural material as I could to lighten it up and add some much needed cargo pods and additional engines.

I like the final look of the ship, and it handles better while having twice the cargo capacity.

You have to be VERY careful early on if you haven't leveled up ship building, though, since you can delete ship components that you are too low level to replace! Kind of a weird mechanic, but OK.

The end result is a ship with a 3000+ cargo capacity, better armor and shields that can dogfight with all but the most nimble ships.

I haven't seen a technically better ship yet, so I think I'm putting my ship-building and piloting push on hold to level up my combat skills. Mostly I want to push for regeneration since I burn through a lot of medpacs in combat.

To get your companion to fire weapons, give them a weapon and a single round of ammo for that weapon. They do not use up ammo, so they only need one round.

Also, as a follow on: DO NOT GIVE THEM GRENADES FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SARAH STOP THROWING GRENADES!!

Bonus Tip: Take the robot with you on combat missions... not because he is particularly good at fighting, just because it's nice to have a robot that just does their job without complaining to you about their kid not picking up their toys while the bullets are whizzing past your head.

Also, as a follow on: DO NOT GIVE THEM GRENADES FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SARAH STOP THROWING GRENADES!!
Ah! The beauty of Bethesda companions is that they ALWAYS take up a fighting position directly in line with your field of fire and attract as many enemies to the fray as they possibly can thus making any stealthy combat entirely impractical.

Ah! The beauty of Bethesda companions is that they ALWAYS take up a fighting position directly in line with your field of fire and attract as many enemies to the fray as they possibly can thus making any stealthy combat entirely impractical.

A big reason why in Fallout I always just did it on my own, when I wanted to be stealthy.

I’m planning to rebuild my PC and got Starfield bundled with the AMD CPU I purchased. Will probably do the upgrades this weekend and then give it a go.
Make sure you buy at least DDR4 3600Mhz RAM (or DDR5 6000Mhz if you got a Risen 7000). This game is incredibly memory bandwidth sensitive for some reason.

Make sure you buy at least DDR4 3600Mhz RAM (or DDR5 6000Mhz if you got a Risen 7000). This game is incredibly memory bandwidth sensitive for some reason.
I bought a Ryzen 7700x and DDR5 5600.

I've got DDR4 3200. Will report any issues.

Also, as a side note on the technical stuff, I tried out the nVidia DLSS mod yesterday and couldn't get any FPS counter to work (in fairness I only tried the Steam FPS tracker and the nVidia's control panel). They all just turn off when the game loads....

So to the naked eye it appeared that on my system the FPS dropped, and introduced an unconfigurable bloom effect that made the world look like I was suffering an acute migraine.

Unfortu8nately, the mod appeared to be not so easy to remove because I couldn't seem to undo the bloom effect even after deleting the mod. I had to reinstall the game to get rid of it. Moreover, even after deleting the mod the FPS counters wouldn't turn on.

I have to assume that at some point in the near future there will be a DLSS patch, until them the game looks fine how it is.

Also, as a side note on the technical stuff, I tried out the nVidia DLSS mod yesterday and couldn't get any frame count wrapper to work (in fairness I only tried the Steam FPS tracker and the nVidia's control panel).

So to the naked eye it appeared that on my system the FPS dropped, and introduced an unconfigurable bloom effect that made the world look like I was suffering an acute migraine.

Unfortu8nately, the mod appeared to be not so easy to remove because I couldn't seem to undo the bloom effect even after deleting the mod. I had to reinstall the game to get rid of it.

I have to assume that at some point in the near future there will be a DLSS patch, until them the game looks fine how it is.
I found the same thing with the fps counter. I used the built in Windows one. Windows key + G to bring up the Xbox overly, then you can customize and show performance.

I got to the first space combat last night. I think I did it wrong. Right after the first fight, it was going to teach me how to pick up the ship debris, but then 2 or 3 more ships showed up and now I've got the debtor from all of them bumping around and don't know how to pick it up.

Performance was not awesome. 1440p mostly high and medium settings gets me 50-70fps. I should try dlss should be able to get a bit more.

I found the same thing with the fps counter. I used the built in Windows one. Windows key + G to bring up the Xbox overly, then you can customize and show performance.

I got to the first space combat last night. I think I did it wrong. Right after the first fight, it was going to teach me how to pick up the ship debris, but then 2 or 3 more ships showed up and now I've got the debtor from all of them bumping around and don't know how to pick it up.

Performance was not awesome. 1440p mostly high and medium settings gets me 50-70fps. I should try dlss should be able to get a bit more.

Didn't think of trying the XBox one... but given the need to reinstall, I'm not going to really try. I get 60-70 FPS which is fine for a solo game.

As for the space debris, have you checked to see if your cargo bay is full? The starter ship has a very small cargo bay. That limited cargo space was what pushed me into starting to learn ship design.

Fun tip for ship deign: While in the designer, double click on any ship part to select all ship parts, then hit "J" to enter the paint options.... you can now paint your whole ship at the same time.

Didn't think of trying the XBox one... but given the need to reinstall, I'm not going to really try. I get 60-70 FPS which is fine for a solo game.
If you find another way to show fps feel free to share. I'm sure Adrenaline users are having no problem showing the overlay. I can't even record my gameplay with the Nvidia software. First game that's happened to. Better situation than ARC users though. Unrelated to the AMD sponsorship I'm sure. Going to try the dlss mod and lower a couple things and see if I can get at least a solid 100.

As for the space debris, have you checked to see if your cargo bay is full? The starter ship has a very small cargo bay. That limited cargo space was what pushed me into starting to learn ship design.
I figured it out. I have to look at it and press A on my controller or E on my keyboard like I'm looting a container or corpse in Elder Scrolls or Fallout.

Fun tip for ship deign: While in the designer, double click on any ship part to select all ship parts, then hit "J" to enter the paint options.... you can now paint your whole ship at the same time.
Looking forward to the ship building stuff. Space combat was fun and easy enough to figure out. FPS combat was alright, but much better than Fallout. Never liked Bethesda gunplay much but it isn't putting me off this game like it has in the past.

Tuesday I started the game over frustrated with the build of my character so far. It proved a wise decision, and just now finished the Ranger questline and got the Star Eagle ship, which is incredible. Class A, so anyone can pilot it, but with like 29 power, over 4k cargo, and just huge.

Small review of the game at about 35 hours played:

There is alot good about the game. So much to do, so many places to go, such a well realized game universe. Every system does work, and generally works well. The other big games to release recently are Diablo 4 and Balder's Gate 3, and this is certainly a better game than Diablo 4 and every bit as good as BG3(and preferable to my playstyle to BG3). This makes the few major flaws really stand out.

It is simply inexcusable in this day and age to have such a crap map for cities. I can see it for planets, and maybe even POIs, but for cities, especially with how large they are, it is just not acceptable. Quests that involve following an NPC as they walk are a nightmare, as the NPC walks oh so slowly while you run circles around them trying to entertain yourself. The game needs an in game help system to teach you how to do some aspects like crafting, outpost building and ship designing.

But for those flaws, the game is still really fun, and really large, and really well put together. I give it 4.5 stars.

Something I just discovered that is incredibly helpful, not just for Starfield, but I suspect with my memory I will be using an absolute ton: https://www.makeuseof.com/how-to-use-steam-notes/

Can make notes of locks you cannot pick yet to come back to, places you want to explore when not busy with something else, vendors who have cool items you cannot afford yet, and on and on.

Back
Top Bottom